Stoops retiring at OU

anEngineer
Low Tide
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Stoops retiring at OU

Postby anEngineer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:53 pm

This was just announced in a huge surprise with no real reason given. Obviously afraid to play Tulane.



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5189
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby DfromCT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Lincoln Riley (OC) to step up and fill HC vacancy. THAT is what I call a coach in waiting.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10497
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Online

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby winwave » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Interesting news. It really is surprising as they are supposed to be really good this year.


It's the facilities stupid!

JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby JerseyWave » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:49 pm

DfromCT wrote:Lincoln Riley (OC) to step up and fill HC vacancy. THAT is what I call a coach in waiting.


Wasn't he one of the names thrown around to replace CJ?



golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby golfnut69 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:14 pm

All of the links for this subject are posted "Under Everything You Wanted to Know..and Less'...for several hours


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5189
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby DfromCT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:47 pm

JerseyWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Lincoln Riley (OC) to step up and fill HC vacancy. THAT is what I call a coach in waiting.


Wasn't he one of the names thrown around to replace CJ?


He and Dino Babers (whom ultimately went to Syracuse) were on my (meaningless) list!


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5189
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby DfromCT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:50 pm

golfnut69 wrote:All of the links for this subject are posted "Under Everything You Wanted to Know..and Less'...for several hours


This thread started a minute or two before the other thread started discussing Stoops retiring.

Something is very fishy about the timing. What coach goes through spring practice and retires before summer camp begins?


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby golfnut69 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:12 pm

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:All of the links for this subject are posted "Under Everything You Wanted to Know..and Less'...for several hours


This thread started a minute or two before the other thread started discussing Stoops retiring.

Something is very fishy about the timing. What coach goes through spring practice and retires before summer camp begins?


I never saw this thread, but i noticed the one posted on the other thread...that is where I posted all of the 'links"...MOD's please post my links on this thread...thanks


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 894
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby GreenPuddleSplash » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:21 pm

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:All of the links for this subject are posted "Under Everything You Wanted to Know..and Less'...for several hours


This thread started a minute or two before the other thread started discussing Stoops retiring.

Something is very fishy about the timing. What coach goes through spring practice and retires before summer camp begins?


I agree with ya that the timing is very strange, however, speculation is that he might have heart disease, which if true, doesn't make timing that suspicious. I believe Stoops Sr. died at a youngish age, 54, of a massive heart attack, so it seems like it might run in the family and that might be why he decided it's time to hang up the whistle.



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5189
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby DfromCT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:27 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:I agree with ya that the timing is very strange, however, speculation is that he might have heart disease, which if true, doesn't make timing that suspicious. I believe Stoops Sr. died at a youngish age, 54, of a massive heart attack, so it seems like it might run in the family and that might be why he decided it's time to hang up the whistle.


That would explain a whole lot, no doubt.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:45 pm

DfromCT wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:I agree with ya that the timing is very strange, however, speculation is that he might have heart disease, which if true, doesn't make timing that suspicious. I believe Stoops Sr. died at a youngish age, 54, of a massive heart attack, so it seems like it might run in the family and that might be why he decided it's time to hang up the whistle.


That would explain a whole lot, no doubt.


Well, he's also leaving on a high note. Short of winning a national title, what more could Stoops ask for than retiring after a Sugar Bowl victory? If he made to the playoff and lost, regardless as to whether it was the first game or the championship game itself, it wouldn't be as high of a note as winning the Sugar Bowl.



HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby HoustonWave » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:48 am

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:All of the links for this subject are posted "Under Everything You Wanted to Know..and Less'...for several hours


This thread started a minute or two before the other thread started discussing Stoops retiring.

Something is very fishy about the timing. What coach goes through spring practice and retires before summer camp begins?


I agree with ya that the timing is very strange, however, speculation is that he might have heart disease, which if true, doesn't make timing that suspicious. I believe Stoops Sr. died at a youngish age, 54, of a massive heart attack, so it seems like it might run in the family and that might be why he decided it's time to hang up the whistle.


He is a strong family man and wants to spend more time with his kids who are entering their high school years. I bet he'll do a little color commentary, and then come back into college football in 2 or 3 years with a mega contract, somewhere in the Midwest or southeast. Rumors on OU campus already have Notre Dame setting a place at the table for him.


Tulane is the University of Louisiana

User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby Show Me » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Can't but help at this point. But the timing is strange for sure.



golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby golfnut69 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:17 pm

under Stoops OU average margin of victory has been around 30 points...I wonder if Lincoln, will want to send a few message early....


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 894
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby GreenPuddleSplash » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:41 pm

golfnut69 wrote:under Stoops OU average margin of victory has been around 30 points...I wonder if Lincoln, will want to send a few message early....


They have a tough Week 2 going up to the Shoe to play the Buckeyes that whooped them badly last year, but then they get us in week 3...



golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Stoops retiring at OU

Postby golfnut69 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:46 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:under Stoops OU average margin of victory has been around 30 points...I wonder if Lincoln, will want to send a few message early....


They have a tough Week 2 going up to the Shoe to play the Buckeyes that whooped them badly last year, but then they get us in week 3...


https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... YJ7dGT4GVg


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 17 guests