The economics of baseball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Coastal is as much of a power as we ever were if not more so. From 2001-now they've missed the NCAA Tournament 3 times. Won a regional 3 times, national seed once.

More teams trying is definitely a big difference. We have to change things or it's going to be really tough.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
winwave wrote:Did I say anything about SELA winning a NC? They haven't done anything once they got there yet. I'm talking about our program trying to win a NC. Many bigger schools with resources are now trying and that hurts us immensely.
So Coastal Carolina has greater resources?
People go on about how good this senior class was yet they want to say we can't recruit. That doesn't compute.
It's possible to put together a good class, but it's harder than it has to be. That's the only good class we've had in a while.

BTW, Davidson is in a Super Regional this year. 60K tuition and the baseball program is only allowed to use 3 scholarships.
Coastal didn't make it this year. They were a great story but they are not a regular power. The fact is we were putting resources in when many others weren't. They didn't have the facilities we had. Now they are putting resources in and have built the facilities.It makes it a whole lot tougher.

As for recruiting it is tougher than it has to be but it always has been. That's why I say the bigger difference is so many more schools now actually trying in this sport.
Trying? Not sure I buy into that. The biggest change is football money. The P5 schools have so much they are spending it every way they can. Schools now see baseball as another way to make money. Miss St is planning on spending $55 million on its baseball program. Cannizaro might just have the best job in the country with that infusion. Tulane was just ahead of the game making an early commitment as was LSU. Traditional baseball powers Texas and USC would argue with you. Warm weather teams have always had an advantage in baseball. Rick Jones was Tulane's first full time coach. Brockoff won and he was a partime coach.
By spending that money on baseball they are trying. Can't imagine you don't see that. You repeated my point that at one time we were ahead of the game but we aren't any longer as these other schools have now stepped up. There are a lot more warm weather programs trying now. Brockhoff started out as part time but for most of his career he was full time.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
winwave wrote:Did I say anything about SELA winning a NC? They haven't done anything once they got there yet. I'm talking about our program trying to win a NC. Many bigger schools with resources are now trying and that hurts us immensely.
So Coastal Carolina has greater resources?
People go on about how good this senior class was yet they want to say we can't recruit. That doesn't compute.
It's possible to put together a good class, but it's harder than it has to be. That's the only good class we've had in a while.

BTW, Davidson is in a Super Regional this year. 60K tuition and the baseball program is only allowed to use 3 scholarships.
Coastal didn't make it this year. They were a great story but they are not a regular power. The fact is we were putting resources in when many others weren't. They didn't have the facilities we had. Now they are putting resources in and have built the facilities.It makes it a whole lot tougher.

As for recruiting it is tougher than it has to be but it always has been. That's why I say the bigger difference is so many more schools now actually trying in this sport.
Trying? Not sure I buy into that. The biggest change is football money. The P5 schools have so much they are spending it every way they can. Schools now see baseball as another way to make money. Miss St is planning on spending $55 million on its baseball program. Cannizaro might just have the best job in the country with that infusion. Tulane was just ahead of the game making an early commitment as was LSU. Traditional baseball powers Texas and USC would argue with you. Warm weather teams have always had an advantage in baseball. Rick Jones was Tulane's first full time coach. Brockoff won and he was a partime coach.
By spending that money on baseball they are trying. Can't imagine you don't see that. You repeated my point that at one time we were ahead of the game but we aren't any longer as these other schools have now stepped up. There are a lot more warm weather programs trying now. Brockhoff started out as part time but for most of his career he was full time.
Obviously we no longer are trying.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We made Regioals two years in a row. So trying but as is usually the case with tulne some of the attempt may be misguided.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.