Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I don't disagree with you on most of those points, Steve. I'm not at all ok with just going to a bowl game or inconsistency and 6 win seasons. But right now, at this moment, I'd rather be 6-6 than 5-7. You can say its just one play. And I can say we're 3-4 plays from being 9-3. Other's can say we're 3-4 plays away from 3-9. So if thats truly the case, what makes the 9-3 team any better than the 3-9 team? The fact they found a way to WIN. This year we did, last year we didn't. That's improvement.

Now going forward, I think your last two sentences say it all

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:54 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 am
RobertM320 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:49 am Banks may be more talented, and have more physical attributes and skills. Doesn't make him better. You don't have to travel any further than Poydras St to see the ultimate example of that. Sometimes its just the 'it' factor. Many on this board said Chase Fourcade has 'it'. The ability to win. McMillan has 'it'. Regardless of whether the schedule was easier or not. In my opinion, McMillan would have found a way to win the SMU game. If he'd been here since the spring, he would have won us the UAB and WF games as well. I'm not convinced Banks wouldn't have found a way to lose us the Tulsa, EC or Navy games.
I can see your argument, and don't disagree. I just don't think we're all that much improved.
Agree 100% DfromCT. I'm super excited that we get to go to a bowl game this year.

But RM320, if we don't make that 2-pt conversion, the tone and feelings and attitude would be much different across the board. As I predicted, we won games we weren't expected to, and we lost ones we should have won. Last year, Banks was short, and that one play didn't go in our favor. This year, with the 2-pt conversion, it did. That's the ONLY difference from 2017 to 2018, and because of it, we are bowling. If you want to say that's improvement, then yes. Fine. But then you also have to say the 2013 CuJo team was just as good, talented, and well-coached.

But big picture, did we really get better? Did we find a way to be more competitive? Did we have good showings when in the national spotlight? No. We didn't. Did we miss many opportunities to be even better than we were? Yes, we did. Did we come out some games not prepared to play? Yes, we did. Did we play consistently and competitively the entire year? No, we didn't.

Are we ok with just going to a bowl game?
Do we want to go to bigger and better bowls?
Are we ok with maybe just becoming bowl eligible year to year?
Are we ok with inconsistency?
Are we ok with 6 win regular seasons?

I'm not dumping on you or any Tulane fans or coaches. All I'm saying is that we need to get better across the board. And we did not this year from last.

If anything, this bowl game and next year will tell us the most. How will we handle success?
But just the same, we are 4-1 with McMillan as the starter, including very hard to come by road wins for the Wave against Tulsa & USF (Our first win ever at Raymond James Stadium). I respect Banks as a competitor, but too bad before this season he didnt take a Hippocratic Oath, "First do no harm." The 3 turnovers Banks committed against SMU cost us a very winnable game. I don't think McMillan would have made those turnovers against SMU. And, Banks fumbled twice against UAB both recovered by the Blazers and threw an interception. We lost to UAB 31 to 24, With steadier quarterback play UAB was another very winnable game for Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

W755 actually he was the co-starter in the Cincy game. WF said both were told during the week they would each get two series and then he'd go with who he thought was best. He chose McMillan. Cincy had a good defense. McMillan did so poorly that right after the game WF said he made a mistake by going with him. Go back and read this board from then. As to UAB you know what they say about assuming. UAB had a solid defense. So who knows if McMillan could have handled it. He did what he did against the weaker portion of the schedule against some horrific defenses. Hopefully he can use the extra time to develop and do better against them next season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Winwave is approaching Tanner Lee territory with his defense of Banks.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:18 pm Winwave is approaching Tanner Lee territory with his defense of Banks.
And his defense of Travis Jewitt ranks in that category too.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Two peas in a pod. Cute.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

Aaron Brooks was far better and had much more success than Banks and I hated Aaron Brooks. Banks was flat out terrible this season. Didn’t have much help, didn’t have great offensive coaching,but McMillan once acclimated to the system whatever it is gave us a better chance to win. As for 6-6, it’s a step in the right direction. I felt overall we slightly underachieved. The SMU game is the main one I felt should’ve been won. However, the direction of the program regardless of playcalling and other factors is trending slightly upwards. There was a lot to fix at Tulane and 6-6 can’t be sneezed at. We couldn’t compete in this conference at all when Fritz got here. We were a late game choke job away from being in the conference championship this season. Doesn’t mean I don’t see all the remaining warts or am even remotely happy with whatever our offense is, but you cannot say when looking at the overall picture we haven’t improved every year. Tulane football isn’t a quick fix. Like I said we have had more than enough to complain about forever, enjoy a few weeks of Tulane fandom with a Bowl Berth. It was a successful season if ur realistic and honest with urself and look at the entire picture. Based upon this year’s results he’s gotta win more next season. If he wins 4 or 5 next season he should be on the hot seat. Judge by the results.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

sader24 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:10 pm Aaron Brooks was far better and had much more success than Banks and I hated Aaron Brooks. Banks was flat out terrible this season. Didn’t have much help, didn’t have great offensive coaching,but McMillan once acclimated to the system whatever it is gave us a better chance to win. As for 6-6, it’s a step in the right direction. I felt overall we slightly underachieved. The SMU game is the main one I felt should’ve been won. However, the direction of the program regardless of playcalling and other factors is trending slightly upwards. There was a lot to fix at Tulane and 6-6 can’t be sneezed at. We couldn’t compete in this conference at all when Fritz got here. We were a late game choke job away from being in the conference championship this season. Doesn’t mean I don’t see all the remaining warts or am even remotely happy with whatever our offense is, but you cannot say when looking at the overall picture we haven’t improved every year. Tulane football isn’t a quick fix. Like I said we have had more than enough to complain about forever, enjoy a few weeks of Tulane fandom with a Bowl Berth. It was a successful season if ur realistic and honest with urself and look at the entire picture. Based upon this year’s results he’s gotta win more next season. If he wins 4 or 5 next season he should be on the hot seat. Judge by the results.
+1,000. Despite this season’s frustrations, we are gradually trending upward. And we should never forget the disaster that Cowen left us with.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:25 am
sader24 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:10 pm Aaron Brooks was far better and had much more success than Banks and I hated Aaron Brooks. Banks was flat out terrible this season. Didn’t have much help, didn’t have great offensive coaching,but McMillan once acclimated to the system whatever it is gave us a better chance to win. As for 6-6, it’s a step in the right direction. I felt overall we slightly underachieved. The SMU game is the main one I felt should’ve been won. However, the direction of the program regardless of playcalling and other factors is trending slightly upwards. There was a lot to fix at Tulane and 6-6 can’t be sneezed at. We couldn’t compete in this conference at all when Fritz got here. We were a late game choke job away from being in the conference championship this season. Doesn’t mean I don’t see all the remaining warts or am even remotely happy with whatever our offense is, but you cannot say when looking at the overall picture we haven’t improved every year. Tulane football isn’t a quick fix. Like I said we have had more than enough to complain about forever, enjoy a few weeks of Tulane fandom with a Bowl Berth. It was a successful season if ur realistic and honest with urself and look at the entire picture. Based upon this year’s results he’s gotta win more next season. If he wins 4 or 5 next season he should be on the hot seat. Judge by the results.
+1,000. Despite this season’s frustrations, we are gradually trending upward. And we should never forget the disaster that Cowen left us with.
+ 1 million, Cowen said no to RR in 1998, tried in 2003 to end Div. 1 football at Tulane under the guise of "the Review," kept Scelfo for 7 years, brought in a washed up "Buffet Bob" Toledo for 5 years, and then hired wide receiver coach CJ because no one else wanted the Tulane job, all while Cowen refused to pay a Div. 1 salary for headcoach (Remember, Scelfo agreed to 350K a year, "promised to stay" and RR was sent packing?). And, for most of Cowen's 16 years we labored under some form of Eamon Kelly's "Tulane Model" for enhanced ACT requirements for athletic scholarships..

The new regime of Fitts, Hertz & Dannen essentially for the first time since President F. Sheldon Hackney is committed to paying a Div. 1 salary for our coaching staff and playing by the same rules as everyone else.

In 3 years we have gone from the laughing stock of Div. 1 football to a competitive program. And, we will truly find out what McMillan can do next year.

Now, let's have some fun hopefully at Boca Raton (Rat's Mouth :wink:), Florida on December 18, we deserve it. :D
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed on Hall
http://wgno.com/2018/12/04/ed-itorial-f ... s-new-job/
Tulane is still pursuing Warren Easton quarterback Lance Legendre. If the Green Wave landed Legendre, he would be the school’s most significant signee at quarterback perhaps since JP Losman, who led the Green Wave to an Hawaii Bowl win in 2002.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:35 am Ed on Hall
http://wgno.com/2018/12/04/ed-itorial-f ... s-new-job/
Tulane is still pursuing Warren Easton quarterback Lance Legendre. If the Green Wave landed Legendre, he would be the school’s most significant signee at quarterback perhaps since JP Losman, who led the Green Wave to an Hawaii Bowl win in 2002.
Ed doesn’t mention Christian Daniels the freshman who redshirted this year
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Nice article by Ed after our Bowl win.
WGNO-TV was the only local TV station I saw in person that send a reporter to the game. No Fox 8, no WDSU and no WWL. Thanks for that Ed.
https://crescentcitysports.com/bowl-win ... der-fritz/
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed had Willie Fritz “In the SportsZone” last night.
Video:
https://wgno.com/2018/12/19/in-the-wgno ... -bowl-win/
Tulane Class of 1981
Hornetswave
Low Tide

Just that one station ? (Wgno)

It’s so funny that the other stations quickly call themselves “ Local”. Or “local Late breaking “

It’s fun living here in NOLA .

I noticed on today the Pitt Panthers played UNO. I was alerted by my Espn APP not the “ LOCAL “ news..

Again fun being here , I get no local anything anymore.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Hornetswave wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:01 am Just that one station ? (Wgno)

It’s so funny that the other stations quickly call themselves “ Local”. Or “local Late breaking “

I noticed on today the Pitt Panthers played UNO. I was alerted by my Espn APP not the “ LOCAL “ news..

Yes. That’s why you’ll see me defend Ed. He’ll call out Tulane at times and he’ll praise them on occasion. But he’s pretty much the only local TV broadcaster that still covers us and cares about us having success. One day when he retires that coverage will probably disappear.
Hence we here give Ed his own thread because he’s earned it.
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bring back the States Item....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:35 am Bring back the States Item....
and the Jefferson Parish Times !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:35 am Bring back the States Item....
Great memories there. The good old days for sure.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Hornetswave wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:01 am Just that one station ? (Wgno)

Tulane would be wise to go to Ed and try to get the Willie Fritz Show back on the air next season. We are going to be much better and the TV time would provide an opportunity for more fans and potential recruits to learn about our program.
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

No disrespect to Ed , but we need a second presence , preferably WWL ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:14 pm Ed had Willie Fritz “In the SportsZone” last night.
Video:
https://wgno.com/2018/12/19/in-the-wgno ... -bowl-win/
Thanks for the link.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I know we knock our lack of coverage locally but UNO really doesn't get any. Last night though both channel 4 and 8 showed clips of their game against Pitt.
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:18 am No disrespect to Ed , but we need a second presence , preferably WWL ....
Yes we do. Maybe winning will get that second presence.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

When will Ed be coming out with his article about how we should be satisfied with MD’s basketball program?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana