Page 3 of 4

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:00 pm
by DfromCT
No, I have more important things to do than look at the date of your foolish posts. That bar pass rate must be the reason we got 1 vote in the G5 poll. It also put plenty of points on the board last football season, and is the reason for this year's turnaround in the only other sport that matters.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:01 pm
by Wave755
And, TPS's post of today is for an article by Ed Daniels celebrating Dunleavy and the return of basketball excitement to Tulane.

Some might not know it but Ed Daniels is a Wave fan and hopefully his article will inform many more people in the New Orleans community of the return of competitive basketball for Tulane.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:05 pm
by golfnut69
Wave755 wrote:And, TPS's post of today is for an article by Ed Daniels celebrating Dunleavy and the return of basketball excitement to Tulane.

Some might not know it but Ed Daniels is a Wave fan and hopefully his article will inform many more people in the New Orleans community of the return of competitive basketball for Tulane.
I think Tulane should hire Daniels...but then again, I am a "Nut' !!

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:30 pm
by Wave755
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:And, TPS's post of today is for an article by Ed Daniels celebrating Dunleavy and the return of basketball excitement to Tulane.

Some might not know it but Ed Daniels is a Wave fan and hopefully his article will inform many more people in the New Orleans community of the return of competitive basketball for Tulane.
I think Tulane should hire Daniels...but then again, I am a "Nut' !!
Hiring Ed would be a very sane idea indeed. :)

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:45 pm
by golfnut69
Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:And, TPS's post of today is for an article by Ed Daniels celebrating Dunleavy and the return of basketball excitement to Tulane.

Some might not know it but Ed Daniels is a Wave fan and hopefully his article will inform many more people in the New Orleans community of the return of competitive basketball for Tulane.
I think Tulane should hire Daniels...but then again, I am a "Nut' !!
Hiring Ed would be a very sane idea indeed. :)
I emailed TD several times about ED... he would give Tulane instant credibility in the forms of sponsorship and media relations..something that has been lacking for over 20 years ...Tulane keeps hiring PR guys that do not realize metairie, is spelled "M-E-T-R-Y'....until this ends, Tulane will continue to have issues with Local Corporate Donations and media relations...after all...'it's all about the people, people "

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:33 pm
by tpstulane
Ed is one of the few remaining media people that actually go to our games.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 am
by tpstulane
Looking forward to Ed’s take on the current state of Tulane baseball. Something coming out soon.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am
by Profoundwizard
tpstulane wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 am
Looking forward to Ed’s take on the current state of Tulane baseball. Something coming out soon.
What was Ed’s take on last year? Am I remembering correctly that he basically gave Jewett a pass?

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 am
by winwave
Van Gilder weighed in on WWL TV and noted the recruiting issue that had been part of the problem.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 am
by tpstulane
Profoundwizard wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am
tpstulane wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 am
Looking forward to Ed’s take on the current state of Tulane baseball. Something coming out soon.
What was Ed’s take on last year? Am I remembering correctly that he basically gave Jewett a pass?
Yes. More about stacking issues if I recall.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:25 am
by golfnut69
winwave wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 am
Van Gilder weighed in on WWL TV and noted the recruiting issue that had been part of the problem.
"recruiting issues'.... now that my friends, took very deep analytical skills on Van Gilders part

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:53 am
by tpstulane
Ed’s story out. Looking for more scholarship money from our administration.
https://clarionherald.org/2018/05/23/cr ... -baseball/
The baseball solution is simple. Each year, give baseball three to five scholarships that are either academic or need-based. It is how Rice landed third baseman Anthony Rendon and how Vanderbilt signed ace lefty David Price.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am
by winwave
Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:13 am
by Profoundwizard
Right, if it were just as easy as saying “let’s give our players some academic scholarships” I would think they would do that, but I’m pretty sure they can’t do that.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 am
by tpstulane
winwave wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am
Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
Yes. Disappointed in Ed on this one. Not about to start up another “stack” discussion. We have too many already.

Need and academic can stack. Baseball money and need can stack. But whatever we offer in baseball money is taken away from whatever they offer in academic so all we are really doing is supplementing “our” baseball money in place “their” academic money. Vandy, Rice and others get around that by having minority scholarships which can be stacked with baseball money. It’s been promised here but never delivered upon.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:29 am
by Aberzombie1892
winwave wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am
Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
All of this. Tulane needs to be able to meet 100% of need for all students in order to truly be relevant (in sports and otherwise), but that would likely require at least another $1.5B in the endowment.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:58 am
by golfnut69
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:29 am
winwave wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am
Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
All of this. Tulane needs to be able to meet 100% of need for all students in order to truly be relevant (in sports and otherwise), but that would likely require at least another $1.5B in the endowment.
sounds like Tulane needs to change "investment counselors"....obviously the ones retained are doing a terrible job...may I suggest the group of Dowee, Reely, Cheetum and Howe....I am sure they can earn some quick returns

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 pm
by Aberzombie1892
golfnut69 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:58 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:29 am
winwave wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am
Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
All of this. Tulane needs to be able to meet 100% of need for all students in order to truly be relevant (in sports and otherwise), but that would likely require at least another $1.5B in the endowment.
sounds like Tulane needs to change "investment counselors"....obviously the ones retained are doing a terrible job...may I suggest the group of Dowee, Reely, Cheetum and Howe....I am sure they can earn some quick returns
haha. Unfortunately, it's not easy for a college to more than double its endowment - there is a reason that its endowment is where it is in the first place.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:51 pm
by winwave
tpstulane wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 am
winwave wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am
Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
Yes. Disappointed in Ed on this one. Not about to start up another “stack” discussion. We have too many already.

Need and academic can stack. Baseball money and need can stack. But whatever we offer in baseball money is taken away from whatever they offer in academic so all we are really doing is supplementing “our” baseball money in place “their” academic money. Vandy, Rice and others get around that by having minority scholarships which can be stacked with baseball money. It’s been promised here but never delivered upon.
That's not correct. Baseball and need can't be stacked by NCAA rule which was revealed on this site last year and you agreed was true. As to Rice everyone went on about their scholarship program for Hispanics. It hasn't helped them. Graham was fired.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:54 pm
by winwave
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:29 am
winwave wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am
Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
All of this. Tulane needs to be able to meet 100% of need for all students in order to truly be relevant (in sports and otherwise), but that would likely require at least another $1.5B in the endowment.
Yep. It's all about the endowment. Unless Fitts is extremely successful with his fundraising campaign for the endowment the problem will persist.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:51 pm
by tpstulane
winwave wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:51 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 am
winwave wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am
Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
Yes. Disappointed in Ed on this one. Not about to start up another “stack” discussion. We have too many already.

Need and academic can stack. Baseball money and need can stack. But whatever we offer in baseball money is taken away from whatever they offer in academic so all we are really doing is supplementing “our” baseball money in place “their” academic money. Vandy, Rice and others get around that by having minority scholarships which can be stacked with baseball money. It’s been promised here but never delivered upon.
That's not correct. Baseball and need can't be stacked by NCAA rule which was revealed on this site last year and you agreed was true. As to Rice everyone went on about their scholarship program for Hispanics. It hasn't helped them. Graham was fired.
Yes. Baseball and financial aid are a counter. My mistake. It did help Rice get a few good ones over the years though.
Here’s a good explanation of it and how wealthy schools have a decided advantage.
https://www.collegesportsscholarships.c ... cs-aid.htm
One roadblock is harder to get past some schools simply have more non-athletics aid to give than others. Private schools and schools with wealthy endowments would benefit the most. The only fix is for schools to start accepting more of their inherent differences rather than trying to legislate them away.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:12 pm
by winwave
That's what myself and others have said- the key is about increasing the endowment.

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:16 pm
by tpstulane
Ed nails this one!!!
AAC’s Bush League TV broadcast!
https://crescentcitysports.com/showing- ... sh-league/

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:21 pm
by tpstulane
Ed had Jonathan Banks in the studio live “In the Zone” tonight. It should be online soon. I post it when it does.
https://www.facebook.com/28607156822407 ... 515295301/

Re: Ed Daniels

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:11 am
by tpstulane