Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RWR
Swell

Bigschtick
Riptide

Thank you for posting this, RWR. Really gives us a chance to see two nice and bright kids destined to be Greenies. Very exciting.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
ajcalhoun
Swell

Ed has been knocked around a lot on this board but he really does want to see us succeed.
God Bless Everyone!
sader24
Tsunami

Ed has been knocked around alot on the other board. He's gotten mostly positive treatment on this board. The other board seems to think he's the antichrist while I believe he might be the only person in the media outside of Kushner who give a legitimate sh*t about Tulane football. Some people have problems dealing with the reality of a situation.
RWR
Swell

sader24 wrote:Ed has been knocked around alot on the other board. He's gotten mostly positive treatment on this board. The other board seems to think he's the antichrist while I believe he might be the only person in the media outside of Kushner who give a legitimate sh*t about Tulane football. Some people have problems dealing with the reality of a situation.
Huge +1
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Ed Daniels take on Rutgers/Tulane/Conference realignment - I couldn't have said it better myself...

http://www.SportsNola.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=578
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This has already been posted and discussed in the Maryland/Rutgers to Big 10 thread.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

The only two that don't get it are Cow/Dick.
Dave breslin
Swell

Ed Daniels hit the nail on the head. Now if someone would hit cowdick in the head maybe we would go forward !!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great post by a fellow Greenbacker on another board.
Charlie G. was also a student at Tulane doing my years there and we both saw the same things as he posted below. Great stuff Charlie.
I am 52 and became a fan when offered a partial scholarship to TU in 1977. As a student from 1978-82 I saw with my own eyes what TU football is capable of, and will never accept the course we've chosen in later years. During that period, we offered athletic friendly majors, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with what we were doing at all.

When I was 38, in 1998, I saw with my own eyes all over again. I took my family to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl, and watched a new university president, Scott Cowen, ride in a convertible down Beale St surrounded by wall to wall TU fans. He was handed a football program ranked number 7, and look at what he has done with it. This has happened on his watch. In Scott Cowen's first year as president, the football programs at TCU, Louisiville, Cincinnati, Rutgers, USF, UCF, SMU, Houston, and UConn all looked up to Tulane football and aspired to be like us. Now, they will earn tens of millions more than us, because he consciously chose to abandon course, nixed the hiring of a can't-miss successor to Tommy Bowden in Rich Rodriguex, initiated a review of Div. 1A football 3 months after we went 8-5 and won a bowl game (our last one to date), and steadfastly refuses to take the steps that literally everyone else on the above list is taking and has taken to succeed in major college athletics.

He regularly refers to college athletics as a recreational pursuit. He stood up in front of the Tulane Business Forum two months ago and opined that college athletics under its current model is unsustainable. He wasn't referring to its finances, which of course are now more lucrative by far than at any time in history; he was referring to it collapsing under its own weight from a moral perspective. He really believes things like this, and the fate of our athletics program is ultimately in his hands. He is convinced that somehow a new 25,000 seat stadium (that will somehow have 5,000 additional SRO capacity, which is more than the Superdome has) will now save the program. He actually blames the Superdome for our attendance problems. Remember, I sat through years of Tulane attendance in the Dome in excess of 40,000 per game when I was a student, I am an eyewitness to the falsehood of this. What do you see in any of the above that I should take confidence from in terms of his ability to get anything right on athletics.

Scott Cowen is the first sitting Tulane president to alter the by-laws so that he has become a voting member of the Board of Administrators. He has been president long enough to appoint most of the board. He rules Tulane with an iron fist, there are no checks and balances on him. He has the nerve to believe that his viewpoint on major college athletics can become the university's official policy on the subject. Presidents, and for that matter board members, come and go, they are handed the keys but have no right to make such fundamental changes to the basic fabric and tradition of Tulane university as a competitor in major college athletics at the highest level, dating back to 1893.

Ed Daniels is the only member of the local media who cares enough to bother to continue taking Tulane's leadership to task for all of the above. He sat in the same Dome I did in the late 70s / early 80s, in the terrace to watch Tulane football as he says. He speaks the honest truth about what has happened, and is in no way a stooge for doing so. May he inspire other, more influential members of the media to take our leadership to task for this miserable failure to be positioned to capitalize as several schools now are doing, to advance to the highest levels in college athletics, a place we clearly held in the late 1990s and chose to walk away.

Posted by tufinal4 on Sat Nov 24, 2012
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Interesting response to that

tufinal4 wrote:

Quote:

When I was 38, in 1998, I saw with my own eyes all over again. I took my family to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl, and watched a new university president, Scott Cowen, ride in a convertible down Beale St surrounded by wall to wall TU fans. He was handed a football program ranked number 7, and look at what he has done with it. This has happened on his watch.

In my opinion 1998 was the very best thing ever to happen to Tulane football (duh) and, at the same time, the worst thing to happen to Tulane football (say what?). The above quote substantiates my position. Cowen was HANDED that team. He just walked in and it was there. Therein lies the problem. He probably said to himself "Okay, this is easy" and figured this type of thing was going to happen every year and he woudn't have to work to keep it going. WRONG. So he didn't do WHATEVER was necessary to keep the train running. In fact, when Scelfo had his best year in '02, he actually tried to derail the train. What a doofus (havn't used that word in a long time, but it certainly fits). So from that time forward the program has floundered, big time...on his watch. Now he is trying to apply a bandaid to the program where a full blown major operation is really necessary. Thanks Scott.

FS'54

Posted by Fan Since '54 Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:59 am

I have to agree with that the 1998 season was at the same time both the best and the worst things to happen to the football program, but the depiction that after all these years of non-success (including TU having shot its own self into the foot) on their watch now the powers-who-are are essentially responding by applying a band-aid when major surgery is what's necessary is ever so right on the mark.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
ExileWave
Surge

tpstulane wrote:Great post by a fellow Greenbacker on another board.
Charlie G. was also a student at Tulane doing my years there and we both saw the same things as he posted below. Great stuff Charlie.
I am 52 and became a fan when offered a partial scholarship to TU in 1977. As a student from 1978-82 I saw with my own eyes what TU football is capable of, and will never accept the course we've chosen in later years. During that period, we offered athletic friendly majors, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with what we were doing at all.

When I was 38, in 1998, I saw with my own eyes all over again. I took my family to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl, and watched a new university president, Scott Cowen, ride in a convertible down Beale St surrounded by wall to wall TU fans. He was handed a football program ranked number 7, and look at what he has done with it. This has happened on his watch. In Scott Cowen's first year as president, the football programs at TCU, Louisiville, Cincinnati, Rutgers, USF, UCF, SMU, Houston, and UConn all looked up to Tulane football and aspired to be like us. Now, they will earn tens of millions more than us, because he consciously chose to abandon course, nixed the hiring of a can't-miss successor to Tommy Bowden in Rich Rodriguex, initiated a review of Div. 1A football 3 months after we went 8-5 and won a bowl game (our last one to date), and steadfastly refuses to take the steps that literally everyone else on the above list is taking and has taken to succeed in major college athletics.

He regularly refers to college athletics as a recreational pursuit. He stood up in front of the Tulane Business Forum two months ago and opined that college athletics under its current model is unsustainable. He wasn't referring to its finances, which of course are now more lucrative by far than at any time in history; he was referring to it collapsing under its own weight from a moral perspective. He really believes things like this, and the fate of our athletics program is ultimately in his hands. He is convinced that somehow a new 25,000 seat stadium (that will somehow have 5,000 additional SRO capacity, which is more than the Superdome has) will now save the program. He actually blames the Superdome for our attendance problems. Remember, I sat through years of Tulane attendance in the Dome in excess of 40,000 per game when I was a student, I am an eyewitness to the falsehood of this. What do you see in any of the above that I should take confidence from in terms of his ability to get anything right on athletics.

Scott Cowen is the first sitting Tulane president to alter the by-laws so that he has become a voting member of the Board of Administrators. He has been president long enough to appoint most of the board. He rules Tulane with an iron fist, there are no checks and balances on him. He has the nerve to believe that his viewpoint on major college athletics can become the university's official policy on the subject. Presidents, and for that matter board members, come and go, they are handed the keys but have no right to make such fundamental changes to the basic fabric and tradition of Tulane university as a competitor in major college athletics at the highest level, dating back to 1893.

Ed Daniels is the only member of the local media who cares enough to bother to continue taking Tulane's leadership to task for all of the above. He sat in the same Dome I did in the late 70s / early 80s, in the terrace to watch Tulane football as he says. He speaks the honest truth about what has happened, and is in no way a stooge for doing so. May he inspire other, more influential members of the media to take our leadership to task for this miserable failure to be positioned to capitalize as several schools now are doing, to advance to the highest levels in college athletics, a place we clearly held in the late 1990s and chose to walk away.

Posted by tufinal4 on Sat Nov 24, 2012
Great post- he is right - my time on campus included the 14-0 win over LSU in 1973, beating highly favored Colorado in the Liberty Bowl in 1970. With Cowen and his delusional Crusade against college athletics, we are truly doomed. The program has been rotting since his arrival, and the stench is so bad no one bothers to come near our games any more. And the Board supports him because he "saved the city and Tulane after Katrina." As my son asked me yesterday- why do I bother? Wouldn't it be more fun to follow a real football team?:cry:

Thanks, Scott and Rick.
Jaxwave
Swell

Exile and I are fraternity brothers from the era he describes. There were two newspapers in NO at the time and we would race to get the afternoon paper to read the Tulane football coverage then discuss it all afternoon. Our football parties for home games were rocking before and after the games. This is why guys like he and I are diehards to this day and are now so disillusioned with what this administration has done to Tulane athletics. It's over guys, because it's too late. We are so low on the BCS totem pole with no desire to improve. My only goal every year now is to pull hard for LSU to lose twice to eliminate them from the NC chase. After that happens my interest turns to the Saints and the NFL.
ExileWave
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:Exile and I are fraternity brothers from the era he describes. There were two newspapers in NO at the time and we would race to get the afternoon paper to read the Tulane football coverage then discuss it all afternoon. Our football parties for home games were rocking before and after the games. This is why guys like he and I are diehards to this day and are now so disillusioned with what this administration has done to Tulane athletics. It's over guys, because it's too late. We are so low on the BCS totem pole with no desire to improve. My only goal every year now is to pull hard for LSU to lose twice to eliminate them from the NC chase. After that happens my interest turns to the Saints and the NFL.
+1
AugWave
Swell

Do y'all think Ed Daniels really cares about Tulane football? I'm kinda torn. I wanna support him because he goes hard at the administration for their past fuck-ups, but in the back of my head... eehhhh. Idk. Regardless, it's better than nothing. It shows that somebody actually has the balls to say something to a huge audience. Who doesn't read Ed Daniels material? 8-)
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

AugWave wrote:Do y'all think Ed Daniels really cares about Tulane football? I'm kinda torn. I wanna support him because he goes hard at the administration for their past fuck-ups, but in the back of my head... eehhhh. Idk. Regardless, it's better than nothing. It shows that somebody actually has the balls to say something to a huge audience. Who doesn't read Ed Daniels material? 8-)
As someone that knows Ed personally he loves Tulane. It crushes him to see where the program now is. He's the only TV media personality that still comes out to see us in person. He grew up on Tulane football. He told me that my late dad helped break him in the business.
Tulane Class of 1981
AugWave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
AugWave wrote:Do y'all think Ed Daniels really cares about Tulane football? I'm kinda torn. I wanna support him because he goes hard at the administration for their past fuck-ups, but in the back of my head... eehhhh. Idk. Regardless, it's better than nothing. It shows that somebody actually has the balls to say something to a huge audience. Who doesn't read Ed Daniels material? 8-)
As someone that knows Ed personally he loves Tulane. It crushes him to see where the program now is. He's the only TV media personality that still comes out to see us in person. He grew up on Tulane football. He told me that my late dad helped break him in the business.
Good to know. I know I'm probably the youngest guy on this board, so I don't know much about him. I don't know about the ONLY TV personality at the games though. I've seen some others on the sidelines in street clothes this past year. Now before this year, that's a different story. :x
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

AugWave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Good to know. I know I'm probably the youngest guy on this board, so I don't know much about him. I don't know about the ONLY TV personality at the games though. I've seen some others on the sidelines in street clothes this past year. Now before this year, that's a different story. :x
Ed will go in person to basketball as well as baseball.
Tulane Class of 1981
AugWave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
AugWave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Ed will go in person to basketball as well as baseball.
Oh ok, you meant all sports. I was thinking football only. That's great though. I honestly feel as though we're gonna start winning soon. It takes time to build from nothing.
jmjclu
High Tide

I know Ed Daniels , I have spent time with him both on the phone and in person.
I assure you that he is sincere in trying to help advance Tulane athletics. His editorials are sincere.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

ExileWave
Surge

+1 Ed hit the nail on the head as usual.....welcome to Yulman POSS
Green Wave
Swell

Ummm Ed if you walk up to Claiborne ave. from Loyola garage you are going to have to turn around because you went too far! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Green Wave on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROLL WAVE!
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

So let me get this right - I'm supposed to park at the Superdome where I can't tailgate and take a bus to the Stadium on campus?!?! This has "college atmosphere" written all over it!

WTF?
Green Wave
Swell

LSU Law Greenie wrote:So let me get this right - I'm supposed to park at the Superdome where I can't tailgate and take a bus to the Stadium on campus?!?! This has "college atmosphere" written all over it!

WTF?
Yeah once you figure out the Superdome has a 73k capacity and 5K in spaces you might have a clue as to what silly person came up with the idea that Tulane was the only stadium in the country with a parking problem.
ROLL WAVE!