Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
gbgreenie
Surge

http://www.abc26.com/videobeta/acd7b417 ... -playbook-

I agree completely with Ed Daniels enough was not said yesterday. And thinking they are better than other universities is what got Tulane where they are today.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... k-&h=869ce

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

a PR disaster !!! 15 minutes late...zero football coach's on the the stage...none of the "Special Teams Letterman' on the stage or the names even mentioned...almost as an afterthought some of the new initiatives mentioned, but made sure they praised themselves and by the way, if I am paying 50,000.00 dollars, who the hell is Cowen to tell me I need to work in the community for 30 hours a damn week with and for people who give one hell of a lot less if anything get's done, to enhance his own stature in the community, while I could be hangin' on Maple street !!!...while i appreciated the Admin wanting to share their goals..this came out as a fly (insert you own substance matter) in the punchbowl..what a mess
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Mr. Daniels was right on with everything he said. Plain and simple.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Bigschtick
Riptide

This is such a bunch of crap. We have a bunch of morons running the show. There is no hope for Tulane University under these people. Daniels is right but we did not need to have him say whats has been obvious for a long time to all but a very few kool-aid drinkers who end up enabling these two halfwits.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
sader24
Tsunami

I went to Ole Miss my Freshman year of college and lived in the athletics dorm aka Kinard Hall. I was surrounded by Ole Miss/SEC football players. None of them were criminals or bad people and as a matter of fact they were actually much more well behaved than 95% of the frat kids on campus, myself included, who thought they owned the place and were drunk every minute of the day. My roommate worked in the English Lab and he spent most of his time helping football players with papers. Dickson is completely out of touch. Just because there are a few schools out there in history that have been out of control at some point in reality 95% of the schools that admit kids on NCAA standards have few if any problems. The school and police have way more problems with kids who have 30 on their ACT and spend most of college drunk. A thug is a thug and it has little to do with the ACT score. In reality its the programs that have way too many kids in the program/walk-ons that have alot of problems. I spent my next 4 years at LSU. 95% of their players were well behaved and caused zero problems. Do you know who was the biggest problem of LSU players in Baton Rouge? Punter Donnie Jones, he was constantly in fights at bars. I would bet he qualified for Tulane's rigorous academics while 75% of the well behaved ones didnt. Perriloux was a thug, it had nothing to do with his ACT score. Justin Vincent was a nice guy, had nothing to do with his ACT score. Dickson basically equated ACT scores and GPAs with criminal and non-criminal which is completely unreal. If you recruit the right people and EDUCATE them you'll have zero problems. I was much more well behaved in high school then college because I played baseball and basketball and didn't want to get kicked off the team.
JTLiuzza
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:Mr. Daniels was right on with everything he said. Plain and simple.
Agree 100%. And what he said needs to be repeated over and over in the local media.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
JTLiuzza
Swell

sader24 wrote:I went to Ole Miss my Freshman year of college and lived in the athletics dorm aka Kinard Hall. I was surrounded by Ole Miss/SEC football players. None of them were criminals or bad people and as a matter of fact they were actually much more well behaved than 95% of the frat kids on campus, myself included, who thought they owned the place and were drunk every minute of the day. My roommate worked in the English Lab and he spent most of his time helping football players with papers. Dickson is completely out of touch. Just because there are a few schools out there in history that have been out of control at some point in reality 95% of the schools that admit kids on NCAA standards have few if any problems. The school and police have way more problems with kids who have 30 on their ACT and spend most of college drunk. A thug is a thug and it has little to do with the ACT score. In reality its the programs that have way too many kids in the program/walk-ons that have alot of problems. I spent my next 4 years at LSU. 95% of their players were well behaved and caused zero problems. Do you know who was the biggest problem of LSU players in Baton Rouge? Punter Donnie Jones, he was constantly in fights at bars. I would bet he qualified for Tulane's rigorous academics while 75% of the well behaved ones didnt. Perriloux was a thug, it had nothing to do with his ACT score. Justin Vincent was a nice guy, had nothing to do with his ACT score. Dickson basically equated ACT scores and GPAs with criminal and non-criminal which is completely unreal. If you recruit the right people and EDUCATE them you'll have zero problems. I was much more well behaved in high school then college because I played baseball and basketball and didn't want to get kicked off the team.
At 28 you're wise beyond your years, sader.
JTLiuzza
Swell

We don't win because we have inferior talent. That's about as scintillating and insightful as saying we don't win because we don't score as many points as the opposition. Not a syllable about why we have inferior talent.

Also he dismisses message boards as "irrelevant" and people who post on them "crackpots." They were pretty relevant in 2003, Ed, dontcha think? Maybe he's just peeved that non-professional journalists, aka "crackpots" seem to be getting all the scoops.

All in all a disappointing piece. He usually does a much better job. From the nolasports site:

http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/tulane ... scape.html
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The internet can be brutal but it does allows fans to be heard. That's good. It's no difference then people that call in talk radio. There are crackpots in all walks of life. It fairly easy to find them...........they are the one's that disagree with you. :) :) :)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

Daniels' schtick is old. It's the Tulane model, Tulane can never be competitive, the school hamstrings coaches, etc.

Really? It's harder to win at Tulane than Army? Navy? Stanford? Duke?

A lot of fans love Ed because he goes after the TU admin's history of not doing everything it takes to win, but coaches love him too -- he absolved them of any accountability whenever he puts pen to paper.

You can win at Tulane. There is no reason for us losing by 40 to Army or 20 to Duke.
sader24
Tsunami

I usually like Ed, I thought this piece sucked. There are crackpots that are on TV, see the Mackels. If someone would give me a nightly sports show I wouldn't have to be on here, it doesnt make me any less knowledgeable than alot of the idiots we are forced to watch and listen to on a nightly basis. Toledo is a bad coach any way you slice it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Interesting...

Daniels just brought this up... He said, "I'll ask a different question. Do you have confidence in the people in charge at Tulane, Cowen and Dickson, to do what is necessary to win."

Finally, a media person asking the same question we've been asking for years. I don't know if WGNO puts video of his EDitorial on their site. It might be worth a look.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Interesting...

Daniels just brought this up... He said, "I'll ask a different question. Do you have confidence in the people in charge at Tulane, Cowen and Dickson, to do what is necessary to win."

Finally, a media person asking the same question we've been asking for years. I don't know if WGNO puts video of his EDitorial on their site. It might be worth a look.
Saw that, he said all the former football and basketball coaches hired by RD had to be accountable but what about RD?
Tulane Class of 1981
JTLiuzza
Swell

Good stuff. Like him or not, Ed has always been pounding the "the TU administration needs to commit" drum. Sounds like he may have stepped it up.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Speaking to a reporter from WWL, Rick Dickson actually said the following:

"He (Toledo) can't be measured from year to year. The one thing I know for sure is that we haven't had a foundation in place for any coach...any program to operate from. And, and, instead of sitting back and watching, and hoping that, you know, that Yogi Berra would show up, and everything's great...is, we've got to put the infrastructure and things in place to say it doesn't matter if it's Yogi or Mickey - you can come in and succeed"

Hasn't he been here for over 10 years - supposedly putting that infrastructure in place? Did he mean Bear Bryant? Yogi Bear? Boo Boo? Mickey Mantle? Mickey Mouse???

All I can say to that is HOLY TOLEDO..............
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Speaking to a reporter from WWL, Rick Dickson actually said the following:

"He (Toledo) can't be measured from year to year. The one thing I know for sure is that we haven't had a foundation in place for any coach...any program to operate from. And, and, instead of sitting back and watching, and hoping that, you know, that Yogi Berra would show up, and everything's great...is, we've got to put the infrastructure and things in place to say it doesn't matter if it's Yogi or Mickey - you can come in and succeed"

Hasn't he been here for over 10 years - supposedly putting that infrastructure in place? Did he mean Bear Bryant? Yogi Bear? Boo Boo? Mickey Mantle? Mickey Mouse???

All I can say to that is HOLY TOLEDO..............
The guy doesn't know the difference between baseball and football but he's AD? SUX. Incompetence writ large.
TURVS71
Swell

Well, that is really a "sad" comment to make. SAD SAD SAD!!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Ray
Surge

TURVS71 wrote:Well, that is really a "sad" comment to make. SAD SAD SAD!!!
Actually it's 'Scary Sad' !! :? Honestly his statements make him sound like a Rec. Center Director trying to run a summer softball league.
sader24
Tsunami

So do his actions.
torbida
Surge

has the Ed Daniels piece.I hope it gets done right but we have a ninny for a AD.John Curtis would be a good AD-he realizes a new stadium is stupid when you have the dome.Spend that cash on recruiting budget,indoor practice field,salaries.Is Dickson that damned stupid?
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

torbida wrote:has the Ed Daniels piece.I hope it gets done right but we have a ninny for a AD.John Curtis would be a good AD-he realizes a new stadium is stupid when you have the dome.Spend that cash on recruiting budget,indoor practice field,salaries.Is Dickson that damned stupid?
http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/tulane ... ulane.html
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
sader24
Tsunami

Dickson is totally lost, he's made a simple equation into a problem on a nuclear physicist could solve. It's very easy Rick, pay a legit salary to a legit coach, let him recruit, make sure the kids stay in school, forget the stadium. WIN.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:Dickson is totally lost, he's made a simple equation into a problem on a nuclear physicist could solve. It's very easy Rick, pay a legit salary to a legit coach, let him recruit, make sure the kids stay in school, forget the stadium. WIN.
Exactly! Not rocket science here.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Agree with you all on Dickson. He needs to go now. But sadly until Cowen retires Dickson will still be here. We needy to bring pressure and make Dickson toxic to get him fired or get him to resign or retire.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Jonathan wrote:Agree with you all on Dickson. He needs to go now. But sadly until Cowen retires Dickson will still be here. We needy to bring pressure and make Dickson toxic to get him fired or get him to resign or retire.
That's right. And all we need to do is publicly discuss his failings. If Dickson were credible on this we'd be powerless, but it's time to call an immediate end to the Dickson era. There is a very important coaching search and conference realignment going on and Dickson is scolding fans while talking about building a small stadium which is sure to turn off big time coaches and eliminate us from consideration in the Big 12. Which, oh by the way, he can't raise the money for. Which comes 10 months after he gave a contract extension to Toledo.

If there is no accountability for this type of failure, then there is no change in Tulane Athletics and Cowen will have killed the program. The time for accountability is now.