Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:58 pm WOW!

I'm surprised that Ed is not at all critical of the offense, particularly the downright refusal of our offense to work the perimeter and make the opponent cover sideline to sideline as opposed to just between the hash marks.
He'd have to watch our games to know that. Ed is an old timer that has never grasped that sports writers no longer are the only ones with a public say. I've pointed that out to him directly a couple of times to no avail. He also then immediately wrote an article talking about our poor QB play and referenced our horrid Offensive lines. But hey nothing for people to complain about. He also overstated his premise. Very few if any are saying he should be fired ASAP if he loses Saturday.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:28 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm surprised that Ed is not at all critical of the offense, particularly the downright refusal of our offense to work the perimeter and make the opponent cover sideline to sideline as opposed to just between the hash marks.
I think Ruse gets his play calls from this tape, they are just not as successful
https://digitallibrary.tulane.edu/islan ... EKRAlzJQx4
Now, now, alright 'Nut, :wave: it could be worse, we could be Frank Wilson's UTSA Roadrunners who have now lost 5 in a row and are 3-8, CUSA 2-5, :P
could be, but they qualified for a bowl last year, unlike Tulane...3 of the 8 L's were to P5's and they also lost to UAB...played 3 P5's to open the season...gotta admit I thought they would win 6 games this year, but the FIU games screwed that up
ASU, Baylor & KSU were the only P-5s the Roadrunners played this year and they are 2-5 in the mighty CUSA. :lame: :yes: :lolgreen:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:16 pm

He'd have to watch our games to know that. Ed is an old timer that has never grasped that sports writers no longer are the only ones with a public say. I've pointed that out to him directly a couple of times to no avail. He also then immediately wrote an article talking about our poor QB play and referenced our horrid Offensive lines. But hey nothing for people to complain about. He also overstated his premise. Very few if any are saying he should be fired ASAP if he loses Saturday.
Not fire Fritz, but most of us want the OC fired and are sick and tired of this putrid offense.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:54 pm

I think Ruse gets his play calls from this tape, they are just not as successful
Now, now, alright 'Nut, :wave: it could be worse, we could be Frank Wilson's UTSA Roadrunners who have now lost 5 in a row and are 3-8, CUSA 2-5, :P
could be, but they qualified for a bowl last year, unlike Tulane...3 of the 8 L's were to P5's and they also lost to UAB...played 3 P5's to open the season...gotta admit I thought they would win 6 games this year, but the FIU games screwed that up
ASU, Baylor & KSU were the only P-5s the Roadrunners played this year and they are 2-5 in the mighty CUSA. :lame: :yes: :lolgreen:
What part of my post did you not understand...I posted they played 3 P5's, none of which Tulane would have beaten.....as far as CUSA record, your point is ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:04 pm

What part of my post did you not understand...I posted they played 3 P5's, none of which Tulane would have beaten.....as far as CUSA record, your point is ?
I think his point is that UTSA sucks and you used to come on here and tell us how they’d soon be a powerhouse
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:45 pm

I think his point is that UTSA sucks and you used to come on here and tell us how they’d soon be a powerhouse
Last I checked UTSA 1 Tulane 0..... they were bowl elegible more times in the last 7 years than Tulane.... since the program began they are 38-44, what is Tulane record over the last 82 games ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Last I checked UTSA 1 Tulane 0..... they were bowl elegible more times in the last 7 years than Tulane.... since the program began they are 38-44, what is Tulane record over the last 82 games ?
Did I miss something? I don’t recall ever saying that Tulane was any good.

Just own up to it, you were wrong UTSA sucks.
Wave755
Tsunami

‘Nut, UTSA’s only bowl appearance was for 2016 when the Roadrunners played in the world famous New Mexico Bowl, losing to Marshall 23 to 20. And ‘Nut, in 2017 UTSA also had a CUSA losing record going 3-5. 8-)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Ok, I am confused. I generally may not agree with all Ed says but do respect his POV. That said, why does he point out TU’s putrid past as justification for Fritz’s results as being acceptable? So we fired a guy who won 17 games including two over LSU in three years and that in some ways means we should just accept Fritz winning 14-15 games in three years. Like I said I must have been sleeping during reading comprehension in HS. Oh and I actually do not think Fritz should be canned regardless of the Navy result.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:13 pm

‘Nut, UTSA’s only bowl appearance was for 2016 when the Roadrunners played in the world famous New Mexico Bowl, losing to Marshall 23 to 20. And ‘Nut, in 2017 UTSA also had a CUSA losing record going 3-5. 8-)
UTSA's 2017 record was 6-5 and Bowl elegible.....what does the conference record have to do with bowl elegibility ?..in 2017 they had L's against So Miss by 3....No Tex by 2...FIU by 7...UAB by 5 and their biggest loss was to La Tech by 14..... 5 L's by 31 points, they were competitive all year.....
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:50 am
Wave755 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:13 pm

UTSA's 2017 record was 6-5 and Bowl elegible.....what does the conference record have to do with bowl elegibility ?..in 2017 they had L's against So Miss by 3....No Tex by 2...FIU by 7...UAB by 5 and their biggest loss was to La Tech by 14..... 5 L's by 31 points, they were competitive all year.....
‘But, this year UTSA lost to UAB 52-3, FIU 45-7, and Marshall 23-0 for part of its abysmal 3-8 record. And ‘Nut, on Saturday the Roadrunners will be destroyed by North Texas. ‘Nut, this is truly sad and so contradictory to what you said would be such a premier and great UTSA football program under Frank Wilson. :shakingno:
Pepper
Swell

I always appreciate Ed's op; however, he never gives the answer on how Tulane can be successful.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Dave breslin
Swell

That should be a new thread on “What Tulane Needs to Do to WIN?” I somewhat agree with EDs article. But, there has to be a better offensive scheme to win in big boy football. This works in high school when you’ve got a superior physical team. That we don’t have. We are as athletic and as good as the ‘98 team but running a vanilla O. After beating Navy-we do need a change in O philosophy
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:26 am
Ok, I am confused. I generally may not agree with all Ed says but do respect his POV. That said, why does he point out TU’s putrid past as justification for Fritz’s results as being acceptable? So we fired a guy who won 17 games including two over LSU in three years and that in some ways means we should just accept Fritz winning 14-15 games in three years. Like I said I must have been sleeping during reading comprehension in HS. Oh and I actually do not think Fritz should be canned regardless of the Navy result.
This was also my issue. Just because we accepted mediocrity in the past doesn't mean we still have to accept it. I even responded to him on Twitter, "Would LSU find this acceptable? No. So why should we?"

And I also don't think Fritz should be canned if we lose Saturday. Next year is the make or break year. Either be successful, or be gone.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 am That should be a new thread on “What Tulane Needs to Do to WIN?” I somewhat agree with EDs article. But, there has to be a better offensive scheme to win in big boy football. This works in high school when you’ve got a superior physical team. That we don’t have. We are as athletic and as good as the ‘98 team but running a vanilla O. After beating Navy-we do need a change in O philosophy
Ed is usually always in the coaches court and is anti-administration for the most part like he is in this latest opinion piece. Fritz needs to win Saturday and carry it forward and win in 2019 IMO anything less is a disappointment. For Tulane to be successful over time it has to find a way to consistently out scheme and out innovate it’s weekly opponent (see 1997 & 1998.) We can’t just line up and out physical or talent the teams we play. I believe we don’t self scout enough. Teams know our tendencies and prepare to defend against them week to week. We rarely come out with a different game plan.
I expect we are going to try to beat Navy running. Not sure how effective that will be.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 am We are as athletic and as good as the ‘98 team but running a vanilla O. After beating Navy-we do need a change in O philosophy
But, we don’t have a Shaun King?
ajcalhoun
Swell

Dave breslin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 am We are as athletic and as good as the ‘98 team

God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:26 am
Same here.The only thing I could think of is that he was suggesting that we should have kept those guys longer and they would have won. Crazy. If there's one thing Tulane fans know when they it is bad coaching.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:32 am
Dave breslin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 am That should be a new thread on “What Tulane Needs to Do to WIN?” I somewhat agree with EDs article. But, there has to be a better offensive scheme to win in big boy football. This works in high school when you’ve got a superior physical team. That we don’t have. We are as athletic and as good as the ‘98 team but running a vanilla O. After beating Navy-we do need a change in O philosophy
Ed is usually always in the coaches court and is anti-administration for the most part like he is in this latest opinion piece. Fritz needs to win Saturday and carry it forward and win in 2019 IMO anything less is a disappointment. For Tulane to be successful over time it has to find a way to consistently out scheme and out innovate it’s weekly opponent (see 1997 & 1998.) We can’t just line up and out physical or talent the teams we play. I believe we don’t self scout enough. Teams know our tendencies and prepare to defend against them week to week. We rarely come out with a different game plan.
I expect we are going to try to beat Navy running. Not sure how effective that will be.
Not self scouting is a great point. After having success against USF by pounding the ball and throwing quick slants, Fritz stuck with the exact same plan for the next two games against putrid defenses. But today there is just too much tape so even bad defenses adjust. Reminds me of great coaches like Belickeck and Saban who will have a huge game passing the ball 45 times then come back the next week and run it 40 times. They know deception is so key in todays game.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

A really weak article by Daniels. He seems to focus his views on the fact that Tulane has had 11 head coaches since moving into the Suoerdome, and for the sake of coach stability we should tolerate the Fritz/Ruse offense, and be satisfied with 5 or 6 win seasons. Does he feel that the LSU world should also be happy with 5 or 6 win seasons? They too have had 11 head coaches since we went to the Superdome. What did Ed think when LSU flushed Miles, were they also expecting too much? Ed just thinks Tulane fans should “settle” for what we are getting.. Wrong, Ed.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Houma de Wave
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:33 am
A really weak article by Daniels. He seems to focus his views on the fact that Tulane has had 11 head coaches since moving into the Suoerdome, and for the sake of coach stability we should tolerate the Fritz/Ruse offense, and be satisfied with 5 or 6 win seasons. Does he feel that the LSU world should also be happy with 5 or 6 win seasons? They too have had 11 head coaches since we went to the Superdome. What did Ed think when LSU flushed Miles, were they also expecting too much? Ed just thinks Tulane fans should “settle” for what we are getting.. Wrong, Ed.

A really great, on-point piece by Ed Daniels.
anEngineer
Riptide

Houma de Wave wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:12 am

The absolute most on-point statement in the piece was pointing out the "usual moaning and groaning from the usual malcontents". Anyone who frequents this site is familiar with that.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:43 am
Dave breslin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 am We are as athletic and as good as the ‘98 team but running a vanilla O. After beating Navy-we do need a change in O philosophy
But, we don’t have a Shaun King?
Sorry, but that 1998 team was WAY more talented than what we have in 2018. We had 3 QBs that were better than any on the current roster. 2 RB's that were, at worst, as good as any we now have, Bernard Robertson and Corey Sewell were better OL than any on our roster. JuJan Dawson was a better WR than Encalade or Mooney. Our secondary on D was better, as were our LB's and placekickers.

In short, there's no comparison of the talent on the '98 team versus the 2018 team. Memories are short, as is the comparison between the '98 and '18 team. Not even close.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 am

The absolute most on-point statement in the piece was pointing out the "usual moaning and groaning from the usual malcontents". Anyone who frequents this site is familiar with that.
Too bad if those of us that pay attention and give a $hit about Tulane Football see what's obvious: That the offense this staff is running is WAY too predictable and doesn't take advantage of the talent on the roster. Sorry if Ed Daniels and the coaching staff (which I generally think are good football folks) don't like that we want to challenge the perimeter and are sick and tired of 40 runs/game between the tackles, where our O-Line generally gets stuffed and bullied by the opposition.

Continuity is GREAT if you're winning. Last I checked, this staff is 11-24, and 8-24 versus FBS competition. That is not only bad, it's one of the bottom 10-20 in FBS over that span.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:53 pm
anEngineer wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 am

Too bad if those of us that pay attention and give a $hit about Tulane Football see what's obvious: That the offense this staff is running is WAY too predictable and doesn't take advantage of the talent on the roster. Sorry if Ed Daniels and the coaching staff (which I generally think are good football folks) don't like that we want to challenge the perimeter and are sick and tired of 40 runs/game between the tackles, where our O-Line generally gets stuffed and bullied by the opposition.

Continuity is GREAT if you're winning. Last I checked, this staff is 11-24, and 8-24 versus FBS competition. That is not only bad, it's one of the bottom 10-20 in FBS over that span.
Bad math, Dave. Last I CHECKED, this staff is 14-21, 10-13 in the last two years. Also, 7-8 in conf the last two seasons in the best conf outside the P5. And I'll guarantee I can find more than 20 FBS schools with worse records over the last 3 seasons.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson