Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Dave breslin
Swell

AugWave, you have too much sense in your reply. Do you really want to get in between a bitch slapping fight? I thought this thread was about Ed Daniels report on being nice.

RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:16 pm
If McMillan had quaterbacked the team for the SMU game, we would be playing for the league championship this coming Saturday.
Fact.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:54 pm
If McMillan had quaterbacked the team for the SMU game, we would be playing for the league championship this coming Saturday.
Fact.
Dream.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:56 pm
Fact.
Dream.
This. The only team he threw well against was a terrible Navy defense plus we hadn't made the other changes at tackle and RB yet.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:56 pm
Fact.
Dream.
Really :?:
Against SMU Banks committed 3 turnovers all by himself; 3 fumbles, 2 lost and an interception.
Take away just one of Banks’ turnovers and we are playing for the conference championship on Saturday. After all, we only lost to SMU 27 to 23. Banks was responsible for all 3 of our turnovers against SMU.

If McMillan had played at quarterback against SMU, yesterday we would have won the West.
Profoundwizard
Swell

For some reason winwave is the last guy on the “Banks is better than McMillan” hill and he plans to die on it.
msdos
Swell

Did we set ourselves back by going 6-6? I think most of us agree we did the bare minimum, but our coaches and admin will definitely see this as a success. No coaching changes will be made even if we get blown out in this participation trophy bowl. We will have the same bullshit offense. This season was a down year for the conference, if they all step it up next year we are in trouble.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:59 pm For some reason winwave is the last guy on the “Banks is better than McMillan” hill and he plans to die on it.

First off that's not true. More importantly I gave the facts about all the changes that were made after the SMU game. You can't refute those nor the importance they played so you just try to take a shot.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

msdos wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:09 pm Did we set ourselves back by going 6-6? I think most of us agree we did the bare minimum, but our coaches and admin will definitely see this as a success. No coaching changes will be made even if we get blown out in this participation trophy bowl. We will have the same bullshit offense. This season was a down year for the conference, if they all step it up next year we are in trouble.
Wake Forest, UAB & SMU were all winnable games; 9-3, like ‘dem Tigggers, was easily within our reach for this season. McMillan only arrived 5 days before the season began. For next year McMillan doesn’t have to be the second coming of Joe Namath, just the competent div. 1 quarterback we had hoped Banks would be for this season,

Next season we will find out just how good McMillan really is for quarterback.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:36 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:59 pm For some reason winwave is the last guy on the “Banks is better than McMillan” hill and he plans to die on it.

First off that's not true. More importantly I gave the facts about all the changes that were made after the SMU game. You can't refute those nor the importance they played so you just try to take a shot.
It wasn’t meant as a shot at all, I just find it strange.

And what isn’t true? You’re not on that hill any more or you think others agree that Banks is better?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:41 pm

And what isn’t true? You’re not on that hill any more or you think others agree that Banks is better?
Others agree about Banks. I go to all the games and I'm far from the only one who see's it that way among the various groups I talk to. Give him the changes that were made after SMU and that part of the schedule and he would have done better. He had a disappointing season and I put that on the coaches. There shouldn't be a regression like that. Others have said the QB's that transferred did so because they don't believe Ruse can improve them. Plus throw in Fritz admitting they over coached him after the UAB game. Like I said if the only change made at that point was inserting McMillan he'd deserve all the credit. But there were other significant changes made then plus the lightening of the schedule so we'll never know how it would have turned out if Banks stayed healthy and continued playing. Trash him if you want but he doesn't deserve it.
Wave755
Tsunami

I admire Banks as a player, he gave us 100% on every down, but he is just not a div. 1 quarterback. I believe this is now the consensus on Banks for this forum.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:00 pm

Others agree about Banks. I go to all the games and I'm far from the only one who see's it that way among the various groups I talk to. Give him the changes that were made after SMU and that part of the schedule and he would have done better. He had a disappointing season and I put that on the coaches. There shouldn't be a regression like that. Others have said the QB's that transferred did so because they don't believe Ruse can improve them. Plus throw in Fritz admitting they over coached him after the UAB game. Like I said if the only change made at that point was inserting McMillan he'd deserve all the credit. But there were other significant changes made then plus the lightening of the schedule so we'll never know how it would have turned out if Banks stayed healthy and continued playing. Trash him if you want but he doesn't deserve it.
You’re always on the defensive, that’s why every discussion with you gets heated. I wasn’t taking a shot at you a minute ago and I haven’t trashed Banks. I just said that I think McMillan is better. If that’s trashing a guy, then you’ve been murdering McMillan.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not on the defensive. I gave a reasoned analysis. You had nothing and you took a shot which is what you do with everyone.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Banks may be more talented, and have more physical attributes and skills. Doesn't make him better. You don't have to travel any further than Poydras St to see the ultimate example of that. Sometimes its just the 'it' factor. Many on this board said Chase Fourcade has 'it'. The ability to win. McMillan has 'it'. Regardless of whether the schedule was easier or not. In my opinion, McMillan would have found a way to win the SMU game. If he'd been here since the spring, he would have won us the UAB and WF games as well. I'm not convinced Banks wouldn't have found a way to lose us the Tulsa, EC or Navy games.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll never know.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:49 am Banks may be more talented, and have more physical attributes and skills. Doesn't make him better. You don't have to travel any further than Poydras St to see the ultimate example of that. Sometimes its just the 'it' factor. Many on this board said Chase Fourcade has 'it'. The ability to win. McMillan has 'it'. Regardless of whether the schedule was easier or not. In my opinion, McMillan would have found a way to win the SMU game. If he'd been here since the spring, he would have won us the UAB and WF games as well. I'm not convinced Banks wouldn't have found a way to lose us the Tulsa, EC or Navy games.
I agree. Similar to when the
Saints had (Brooks).
At Tulane we have (Banks).
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:43 am
RobertM320 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:49 am Banks may be more talented, and have more physical attributes and skills. Doesn't make him better. You don't have to travel any further than Poydras St to see the ultimate example of that. Sometimes its just the 'it' factor. Many on this board said Chase Fourcade has 'it'. The ability to win. McMillan has 'it'. Regardless of whether the schedule was easier or not. In my opinion, McMillan would have found a way to win the SMU game. If he'd been here since the spring, he would have won us the UAB and WF games as well. I'm not convinced Banks wouldn't have found a way to lose us the Tulsa, EC or Navy games.
Saints had (Brooks).
Poor comparison to Brooks and Banks doesn't deserve that. Brooks never won games for the Saints whereas Banks did win games for us. People want to talk about hero ball but what he played was survival ball.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I can see your argument, and don't disagree. I just don't think we're all that much improved.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:01 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:43 am
Saints had (Brooks).
Poor comparison to Brooks and Banks doesn't deserve that. Brooks never won games for the Saints whereas Banks did win games for us. People want to talk about hero ball but what he played was survival ball.
Both were turnover machines. Brooks had the ability to extend plays and run for first downs, similar to Banks. On winning Brooks actually led the Saints to an NFC South championship and the first-ever playoff victory in franchise history.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Actually Banks has the lowest interception % in Tulane history. when I talked about winning games I'm talking about taking a bad team on his shoulders and winning games like he did against Army.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And probably the fewest passing attempts for a QB that started almost two seasons worth of games since the 30s.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:18 pm And probably the fewest passing attempts for a QB that started almost two seasons worth of games since the 30s.
Just can't stop bashing him. Haters gonna hate. Sad.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:28 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:18 pm And probably the fewest passing attempts for a QB that started almost two seasons worth of games since the 30s.
Just can't stop bashing him. Haters gonna hate. Sad.
I haven't bashed him at all. That's just stating a fact. I don't think we win the Army game or several other games without him last year. But I also happen to think McMillan at this moment gives us a better chance to win. How is that bashing him?
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 am
I can see your argument, and don't disagree. I just don't think we're all that much improved.
Agree 100% DfromCT. I'm super excited that we get to go to a bowl game this year.

But RM320, if we don't make that 2-pt conversion, the tone and feelings and attitude would be much different across the board. As I predicted, we won games we weren't expected to, and we lost ones we should have won. Last year, Banks was short, and that one play didn't go in our favor. This year, with the 2-pt conversion, it did. That's the ONLY difference from 2017 to 2018, and because of it, we are bowling. If you want to say that's improvement, then yes. Fine. But then you also have to say the 2013 CuJo team was just as good, talented, and well-coached.

But big picture, did we really get better? Did we find a way to be more competitive? Did we have good showings when in the national spotlight? No. We didn't. Did we miss many opportunities to be even better than we were? Yes, we did. Did we come out some games not prepared to play? Yes, we did. Did we play consistently and competitively the entire year? No, we didn't.

Are we ok with just going to a bowl game?
Do we want to go to bigger and better bowls?
Are we ok with maybe just becoming bowl eligible year to year?
Are we ok with inconsistency?
Are we ok with 6 win regular seasons?

I'm not dumping on you or any Tulane fans or coaches. All I'm saying is that we need to get better across the board. And we did not this year from last.

If anything, this bowl game and next year will tell us the most. How will we handle success?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)