Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

Been saying this from Day 1. I just dont see how the parking situation AS IS is going to even remotely work. This is New Orleans, people arent shuttling from satellite parking lots for football games including LSU games. This stadium is being built under the guise of College Atmosphere and tailgating, but you can't tailgate. Can anyone on this board honestly say they are going to park in the Superdome and shuttle to the Stadium? The parking portion of this agreement won't work.

Green Wave
Swell

:mrgreen:

Not a tailgate in site dude. Who the hell says you have to have a tailgate? You?
ROLL WAVE!
OUG
Riptide

Tulane will engineer an atmosphere. A lot of tailgating these days doesn't involve tailgating at your truck.

SMU

Ole Miss

In both cases, folks set up tents on the morning of the game or the night before. Then they go park and return. I really think Tulane is envisioning McCallister as Tulane's version of the Boulevard at SMU. It's going to be a blockparty atmosphere.

The one thing that I think Tulane will get right about this is that they'll pull out all the stops when it comes to game day events and atmosphere, because that's where the really money is. It's going to be one big revenue stream and fundraiser.
Green Wave
Swell

Tulane tailgate areas on campus.

http://tulaneathletics.s3.amazonaws.com ... 1-2012.pdf

pages 20 and 21

Hospitality and tailgating:

1) Turchin Stadium
2) New Plaza located directly in front of stadium.
2) Alumni House Glazer Gardens & Bocce Court
4) McAlister Place
5) LBC Quad
6) Newcomb Place
7) Newcomb quad
8) Gibson quad

ROLL WAVE!
wavefan03
Surge

Green Wave wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:So let me get this right - I'm supposed to park at the Superdome where I can't tailgate and take a bus to the Stadium on campus?!?! This has "college atmosphere" written all over it!

WTF?
Yeah once you figure out the Superdome has a 73k capacity and 5K in spaces you might have a clue as to what silly person came up with the idea that Tulane was the only stadium in the country with a parking problem.
It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. There's no 2 hour parking limit downtown. All of Uptown surrounding Tulane and Loyola's campus - 2 hour parking limit.

I'm not sure where the 2 hour limit ends but I think its around Adams St. going towards Carrolton and Nashville going in the opposite direction.

The city could make a quick buck just by charging to park on the Claiborne neutral ground. People used to be able to park on the neutral ground outside Gormley for years. The money from the parking could easily pay for landscaping improvements in the area and then some. Its a win win for everyone and a no brainer.

I would like to hear more plans about TU will allow for tailgating or will provide. I'd park at the Fly, Audubon Zoo, or along the trolley line before heading to Oschner or Superdome.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Green Wave wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:So let me get this right - I'm supposed to park at the Superdome where I can't tailgate and take a bus to the Stadium on campus?!?! This has "college atmosphere" written all over it!

WTF?
Yeah once you figure out the Superdome has a 73k capacity and 5K in spaces you might have a clue as to what silly person came up with the idea that Tulane was the only stadium in the country with a parking problem.
If you can't see the irony and humor of bussing people from the Superdome to campus when for years Tulane's excuse for students not going to games was because they had to bus from campus to the Superdome ... well, then you just don't have a sense of humor.

Maybe students didn't go to game b/c Tulane had only had 4 winning seasons in the last 31 years.
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
sader24
Tsunami

I read about as much of the parking plan as I could swallow. It seems they are adamantly against local businesses and/or non-Tulane sanctioned establishments charging for cash parking. Also, I'll probably just take a cab to the games and drink at bars Uptown post game till I can get a cab out. Maybe I should buy a bar Uptown. I think there are alot of pluses and minuses with the whole deal. I think smaller games will certainly be more fun and less of a hassle. Bigger games could possibly be a total logistical nightmare if people arent allowed to park in the neighborhoods and at businesses. Does anyone know what areas/boundaries it will be specifically illegal to park in on gameday? I could certainly see people parking in between Broadway and Carrollton and walking.
2ndGenWave
High Tide

Two hour parking only applies on weekdays during the day for most the neighborhood, so that will not interfere with any games. The way I understood it, the tow trucks would be mostly (if not entirely) on Audubon Blvd. and can only tow away illegally parked vehicles. I think that the people on Audubon Blvd are actually worried about people parking on their neutral ground (which should be allowed in my book but is one of their more sane demands in the grand scheme of things).

Also, I'm not entirely certain about rumors of needing a permit to allow parked cars on your yard from recent Jazzfests, but I live within spitting distance of the stadium and I plan on parking cars at the very least in my backyard regardless of legal restrictions. I think that things will revert back to the way it was with the old stadium with the neighborhood really embracing game day and everyone selling or giving away parking spots near the stadium. Also, the enforcement of these rules will entirely depend on how strictly Tulane, City Hall, and NOPD decide. The people of Audubon Blvd can complain, but in the end their complaints could fall on deaf ears if there is decent support for the stadium.

However, I entirely agree with the tone of this article and its intent. I'm not entirely sure why these neighbors think they have the right to impose such ridiculous restrictions on the stadium. The university should be allowed to do whatever it pleases with the land and the stadium within reason. Think of all the great acts that would come to play at a 30,000 or 40,000 person venue outdoors in New Orleans. Concerts would be great and (if scheduled on Fridays and Saturdays) can last until midnight without breaking noise laws or the laws of basic decency. Also, with field turf, two or more high school games could and should be played at the stadium every fall Friday because it will be a great venue as well as a draw for local players to play at Tulane. Honestly, it is not asking a lot.

Turchin has games for Tulane, high school, and more from around Mardi Gras until August or later nearly every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, not to mention during the week in the summer. Baseball involves tournaments (unlike football), which run from 7 or 8 AM until very late at night. Baseball also involves solid projectiles flying into nearby yards and houses, unlike football (which has no foul balls). Turchin holds 5,000 people, has a far more open design, and has high lighting as well as speakers. Yet, even with Turchin's similar effect on the surrounding area as the new stadium, the neighborhood now seems to be able to keep a high quality of life. Also, football games and concerts rarely if ever start before eleven in the morning, rarely if ever go much later than 11 or midnight, and rarely if ever stray from Fridays and Saturdays (with the obvious exception of the NFL which is irrelevant to this stadium), so the use of the stadium is restricted enough by its uses as to not bother the neighbors.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

2ndGen here's some info on required backyard parking permits from this Jeff Crouere article. It's no rumor. On opening day at the new Turchin about 1,000 cars got $75 parking tickets that night. Many blamed Tulane for this and never attended another baseball game for awhile because of it.
http://www.bayoubuzz.com/buzz/item/2976 ... ew-orleans
For the Jazz Fest, the city has begun to aggressively enforce laws which require people to obtain permits to park cars in their lots, yards and driveways. The cost will be $265.25 for businesses and $30 for non-profits. Without a permit, city regulators will shut down the parking operation and issue an administrative subpoena. Not satisfied with collecting parking permits, city officials are also prohibiting any vendors from operating near the Jazz Fest without a license. This equals more harassment, more fees and more fuel for the bureaucratic monster at City Hall.

As a parking entrepreneur during the heyday of Tulane Stadium in Uptown New Orleans, I am very thankful that bureaucrats were not employed to harass the university’s neighbors trying to make some extra cash. At that time such heavy handed tactics would have been unthinkable. It is quite sad that today, unfettered bureaucratic intrusion into simple entrepreneurial activities is considered acceptable.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

2ndgen there will be a host of new restrictions in a much greater area on game days than the current 2 hour restrictions.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

So don't go, stay home and stop bitching, moaning and complaining. "Things" will evolve as the situation warrants. How long will some of you keep bitching and bitching? Make the best of it or just stay home....it gets boring with the incessant whining......
JerseyWave
Riptide

I am not a supporter of Cow/Dick's parking plan. Here in the Northeast, I have attended Tulane games at the Naval Academy, West Point, and Rutgers. All three venues had very limited parking near the stadium. You have to park at an auxiliary parking lot and catch a free shuttle to the stadium. Every game I attended had more people than Cow/Dick Stadium will seat. Bottom line, if Tulane can become a consistent winner, people will find a way to the game, if we continue with 2-4 win seasons the place will be embarrassingly empty. I, too envision campus being a giant tent city along McCalister Drive and the LBC quad. We need to win and beat good competition in the process and Yulman can be like Fogleman was in the early nineties.
Last edited by JerseyWave on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TURVS71
Swell

Well no offense to Mr. Daniels, but if a story is not about Rummel or kissing Jay Roth's ass, then he tends to be negative. He can be such a putz sometimes.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

If we consistently win, the parking situation will be a minor inconvenience. If we consistently lose we won't fill the Rosen lot.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pullinmyhairout wrote:If we consistently win, the parking situation will be a minor inconvenience. If we consistently lose we won't fill the Rosen lot.
+1
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

So Green Wave, your response to all of this is to show tailgating at Tad Gormley?
sader24
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote:Well no offense to Mr. Daniels, but if a story is not about Rummel or kissing Jay Roth's ass, then he tends to be negative. He can be such a putz sometimes.

This is a ridiculous and inaccurate statement.
sader24
Tsunami

He's the only TV reporter that cares about Tulane at all. Nobody else even cares enough about Tulane to write a story about them.
TURVS71
Swell

It is an OPINION as is most other information posted here. We all know what TU gave up. Why keep on beating that horse? If you REALLY look at the "agreement" and the "penalties" it really is kind of a joke. Anything in there can be changed and re-negotiated and I believe it will be. My problem with him, and I do appreciate his coverage, is that he keeps saying the same thing . He should be smart enough to realize that we have our foot in the door. If and that's a BIG if , Tulane football becomes relevant, things can and will be changed. You can make book on that.

Oh and it is true....Rummel and Roth can do no wrong in his eyes.....just a pet peeve with me.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DaveBrownStreak wrote:So don't go, stay home and stop bitching, moaning and complaining. "Things" will evolve as the situation warrants. How long will some of you keep bitching and bitching? Make the best of it or just stay home....it gets boring with the incessant whining......

Go wipe your dumbass. Brilliant idea to tell die hard fans to stay home. We'll keep bringing it till Tulane gets it right and this stadium isn't right.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:He's the only TV reporter that cares about Tulane at all. Nobody else even cares enough about Tulane to write a story about them.
+ 1
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As to paying for tailgating on campus that will just drive it home more to the general populace,whom Tulane needs desperately to be fans, that they aren't wanted by Tulane. Tulane fans are not well heeled. Hell many Tulane graduates aren't according to a report someone posted about earnings a couple of years ago. Then you have the fact that Tulane will be responsible for the set up. Good luck w/that.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:As to paying for tailgating on campus that will just drive it home more to the general populace,whom Tulane needs desperately to be fans, that they aren't wanted by Tulane. Tulane fans are not well heeled. Hell many Tulane graduates aren't according to a report someone posted about earnings a couple of years ago. Then you have the fact that Tulane will be responsible for the set up. Good luck w/that.
That's the problem in a nutshell. Cowen/Dickson look at this stadium as a way to increase the number of nickels and dimes they can bring into the program, rather than using it to build a program that draws conference/TV dollars. It's always penny-wise, pound-foolish with those idiots.

If they were smart, they have free beer, bands and attractions and SPEND $25K on a massive tailgate.
IM42lane
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
sader24 wrote:He's the only TV reporter that cares about Tulane at all.

Nobody else even cares enough about Tulane to write a story about them.
+ 1
I can understand your viewpoint. Ed is probably like most of us over here -- he wants to see this 50+ million dollar building PROCESS done correctly and in a proper order. At least he makes comments about Tulane (pro and con) -- most of the other writers do not care enough to even post a comment on a forum board like this one.

I still want this PARKING ISSUE resolved, and it must be more than just creating remote parking areas with a shuttle service. I personally do not want to drive in from Baton Rouge and wind up at a remote lot waiting (probably for quite a while) for a shuttle to get me to the campus area.

Someone at that university has got to come up with a better parking solution. Start thinking constructively Tulane admin (for a change). The responsibility is yours.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

winwave wrote:
DaveBrownStreak wrote:So don't go, stay home and stop bitching, moaning and complaining. "Things" will evolve as the situation warrants. How long will some of you keep bitching and bitching? Make the best of it or just stay home....it gets boring with the incessant whining......

Go wipe your dumbass. Brilliant idea to tell die hard fans to stay home. We'll keep bringing it till Tulane gets it right and this stadium isn't right.
Very mature reaction. Can't win with you. If a person goes to the stadium and supports TU then we are "giving in." Telling die hard fans to stay home isn't the way. So, which one of your personalities will answer this? You idiot, the stadium is now under construction. "Bringing it" isn't going to change the plans one iota. So you and others just keep whining and complaining and "bringing it." Tell me, how has that worked for you? Support the stadium, fill it, work through the parking problems, tailgating problems and force it to change. Please don't go, sit there and complain the entire time. At least I hope you are not sitting next to me. As far as the tailgating and costs, that's just the way it will be. The bigger donors and contributors get the perks. It's that way at every major college and if we want to be a major college, that's just the way it is. There comes a point, in a situation, job, relationship and THIS situation that you have to find a happy medium or walk away. Constant complaining won't do it.

Ok, pick a personality and respond. I know you will .