Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:I think Tulane's biggest issue is that at this point it has no identity. If you asked people what their opinion of Tulane is most would say that its a place where people from around the country (especially the Northeast) can come to party in New Orleans for a few years and still say they went to a pretty good school and leave with a respectable degree. It's not an elite Academic Institution at this point and most of the people who graduate from here dont seem to really leave here with any sort of pride in the school or any real connection. The alumni seem disjointed and disorganzied, I think athletics more than anything is something that really brings together students while they are at a particular University and gives them a feeling of pride and connection to the place. There hasnt been any of that here in over a decade. A good football program would create that with the students/alumni an the City of New Orleans all in one fell swoop. I dont think the administration has ever gotten that and ever understood what a good athletic department truly brings to a University.
+1

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

galvezwave wrote:Tulane was a top 30 university while hot rod was there majoring in p.e. just saying. I believe this is a case where you could have your cake and eat it too. I know rods an extreme example, but he definitely didn't affect the schools rep as a top 30 during his tenure.
And all the schools that will take any and all great football players (Texas, Florida, Ohio State, USC, etc) have been climbing in the rankings as we've been falling.

Notre Dame and Tulane are going in the other direction. There is plenty of proof of this.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

A couple of interesting things happened since I heard Ed's report. I attended the Hertz opening last night. Doug Hertz spoke and he flat out confirmed everything that we have been hearing about Tulane. He stated that athletics will now pushed to front of the list. He said that he would not be "wasting" millions if that were not the case. He said that improvements in facilities and academics will be very important factors in our success going forward. I also heard the same thing at today's basketball game. If RR takes the job you can go to the bank that Tulane will have "athletic friendly" majors in the near future. Maybe Ed may have been speaking of exceptions. If Tulane creates a few of those type of majors than JR college kids will be able to attend since those 50 credit hours needed will now be more likely be able to transfer. I believe Tulane (SC) finally realizes the financial potential of being a "player" in today's college football landscape. If we get into the Big 12 that would mean $18-$20MM and year vs a few MM today. That would mean SC could divert the $$$ he now sub's to athletics to other dept's. So now we wait and hope.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

It sure would be nice to have college teams to root for again.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:It sure would be nice to have college teams to root for again.
+1000
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Ed was on WIST today with Eric Asher. He reported that he spoke to one of the potential coaching candidates after he interviewed and he was told in no way will Tulane ever compromise it's academic image when it comes to athletics. Ed didn't know what that meant but he said it sounds about like business as usual for Tulane. He also mentioned that Tulane is flying out commercial to Hawaii instead of chartering their own plane. The team will fly out in two separate airplanes. I guess that must be a big money saver :lol: . He said could you ever even imagine LSU doing that.
I believe Ed is correct. If RR wants to cut a number of underperforming kids on the current roster that would negatively impact graduation rates. I don't see Tualne allowing that to happen because of that specific reason. That I believe Tulane would think it would probably "compromise it's academic image".
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Ed was on WIST today with Eric Asher. He reported that he spoke to one of the potential coaching candidates after he interviewed and he was told in no way will Tulane ever compromise it's academic image when it comes to athletics. Ed didn't know what that meant but he said it sounds about like business as usual for Tulane. He also mentioned that Tulane is flying out commercial to Hawaii instead of chartering their own plane. The team will fly out in two separate airplanes. I guess that must be a big money saver :lol: . He said could you ever even imagine LSU doing that.
I believe Ed is correct. If RR wants to cut a number of underperforming kids on the current roster that would negatively impact graduation rates. I don't see Tualne allowing that to happen because of that specific reason. That I believe Tulane would think it would probably "compromise it's academic image".
But, after these kids finish their eligibility and then don't graduate anyway, that hurts it less somehow?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
But, after these kids finish their eligibility and then don't graduate anyway, that hurts it less somehow?
No. We all know Tulane is BIG on graduation rates. Running off 10 or more kids in one year will kill that rate for football. Could you image how Tulane admin would feel if LSU ranked higher in GR in football than us? Besides being No. 1 in the country. That would really make the Tulane model look ridiculous. Tulane is set on keeping that graduation rate as high as possible, even at the expense of winning on the field. I believe that is what is meant by not allowing "academic compromise" for which Tulane is holding onto.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: No. We all know Tulane is BIG on graduation rates. Running off 10 or more kids in one year will kill that rate for football. Could you image how Tulane admin would feel if LSU ranked higher in GR in football than us? Besides being No. 1 in the country. That would really make the Tulane model look ridiculous. Tulane is set on keeping that graduation rate as high as possible, even at the expense of winning on the field. I believe that is what is meant by not allowing "academic compromise" for which Tulane is holding onto.
But if they're still in school, why would that count against their graduation rates? Just asking. I don't know how that works. Why would it be any different than a player that plays his four years and is still in school another year to finish his degree?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DrBox
Riptide

I'm sure that grad rates are a major reason for this.

But there's no reason not to give the new coach a clean slate on this year's recruits.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: But if they're still in school, why would that count against their graduation rates? Just asking. I don't know how that works. Why would it be any different than a player that plays his four years and is still in school another year to finish his degree?
If they were able to remain at Tulane and get a degree than that would be true. But that's probably unlikely to happen. Kids that think they can play could end up at JC's etc or Southeastern, Nichols and they would get lost in the system. Many couldn't afford Tulane's tuition to stay.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote: But if they're still in school, why would that count against their graduation rates? Just asking. I don't know how that works. Why would it be any different than a player that plays his four years and is still in school another year to finish his degree?
If they were able to remain at Tulane and get a degree than that would be true. But that's probably unlikely to happen. Kids that think they can play could end up at JC's etc or Southeastern, Nichols and they would get lost in the system. Many couldn't afford Tulane's tuition to stay.
So, you get a booster to pay their tuition for them so they can stay in school. Its not a scholarship, and since they're not an athlete any more, you're not violating any NCAA rules. If they choose to go somewhere else because they want to play, that's their choice. For instance, who's on the hook regarding graduation rates for Trent Mackey's scholarship, Duke or Tulane? If a kid transfers from Tulane to Southeastern, but is still on scholarship, does he count against Southeastern, or against us if he doesn't ultimately graduate? Just trying to understand the parameters of the system here.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
So, you get a booster to pay their tuition for them so they can stay in school. Its not a scholarship, and since they're not an athlete any more, you're not violating any NCAA rules. If they choose to go somewhere else because they want to play, that's their choice. For instance, who's on the hook regarding graduation rates for Trent Mackey's scholarship, Duke or Tulane? If a kid transfers from Tulane to Southeastern, but is still on scholarship, does he count against Southeastern, or against us if he doesn't ultimately graduate? Just trying to understand the parameters of the system here.
Duke is. It's where the kid first attended a DI school.
Tulane is on the hook for the SELA example.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Duke is. It's where the kid first attended a DI school.
Tulane is on the hook for the SELA example.
OK. Thanks.
gbgreenie
Surge

If Tulane is serious about getting into a BCS Conference they will give RR what he wants and needs to win immediately. Conference Realignment will be over in two - three yrs. RR knows what the Green Wave needs to win now. Give it to him or we can forget about the Big 12 or other BCS Conferences. I got deleted for my last post but It was obvious we had kids that don't play 60 minutes of ball. This is a cancer on the team and needs to be corrected. The good players get down when they see this happening. RR will get 60 minutes out of the players or they will be gone. Let's go big time now or waver in our pits of mediocracy.
posse
High Tide

On Thursday night Ed Daniels gave an excellent EDitorial regarding what Tulane should do, & needs to do to have a successful Athletic program......Tulane should forget about building a stadium, and stay in the dome. He suggest we build a State of the Art Practice Facility, and a new 7,000 seat Basketball arena.....Nothing wrong with the Dome that consistent winning wouldn't solve, especially if we get into the Big 12 conference. Ed said that the problem with Tulane is not "Brick or Marter" but rather the current administration.....I am not tech savy to copy the Editorial here. But Ed made a lot of sense to me.

If some computer savy person can retrieve the video and or a written copy of Ed's commentary from WGNO's website, and post it on this board I think most of you would appreciate his comments. Ideally if someone could retrieve it and forward to Cowan, Dickson, but most importantly to every member of the "Board of Administrators", it could possibly change minds and course of action, especially if the neighborhood association blocks the stadium..
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Print version.
http://clarionherald.info/clarion/index ... better-use

Couldn't find the video on abc26.com
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

Ed makes some good points, but he's always immunized coaching from the discussion.
I would be okay if they did what he suggests (not that I think the stadium is a bad idea - I don't) , but they aren't going to.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed made some interesting points on he and Ken Trahan's radio show today. He said if Tulane were ever able to join the Big 12 they would have to play UT, OU, OSU and West Virginia in the dome for football. And in basketball we'd probably have to play Kansas, Texas, OU and West Virginia in New Orleans Arena because Fogelman wouldn't suffice for the big crowds. So that's part of he reasoning behind his theory. It would negate potential revenue from playing on campus. He also mentioned should Fogelman expand on Freret St. to 7K where would people park?
Tulane Class of 1981
posse
High Tide

I went to WGNO website, clicked on Sports, and it took me to the page with the video of the Editorial. Below is what they sent me via email when I requested a copy of the video. I don't know if this will work here, but tps maybe you can get to this site, or if you give me your email address I can forward the email they sent me.

http://www.abc26.com/videogallery/69860 ... l-62802609
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Once again Ed Daniels nails it.

He always has.

And, no doubt, he's being plastered right now in certain quarters for not toeing the company line.

I could hardly agree more with everything in this column.

The home football game playing venue has somehow become the main focus here but logically it's hard to understand why.

Yes, definitely, Tulane has had successful seasons in the Superdome. Playing there, surely, cannot be said to have always and consistently been the great hindrance to the program having success.

Is the new stadium guaranteed to somehow cause the program to have better success on the field? No. The only things guaranteed are higher ticket prices, mandatory donations, etc. and for the same on-field product.

Yes, exactly, where is the same passion as has been displayed by the stadium supporter crowd when it comes to getting Tulane to do the things that you have to do to mount a consistent winning program?

That's what needs to be dealt with first. Not the football home game venue "issue," which has to be considered as something pretty tangential to what's really important.

As for talk about getting into a better conference, so here's Tulane going to the Big 12 or whatever with a rinky-dink new football stadium to go with a rinky-dink really old bball arena and without almost anything to talk about in terms of recent success in the two sports that really matter the most and without almost anything to talk about in terms of regular attendance and general interest among alumni and community members in those programs. Good luck with that presentation.

This new football stadium has become and is a prime example of the psychological "groupthink" phenomenon.

There's a purely emotional "rah rah new stadium" element that's very much taken over much of the discussion and thorough logical, objective evaluation of the project and weighing of alternatives have gone out of the window.
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Sat May 12, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Thank you, Ed! Please help Tulane save itself from Scott Cowen!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:Thank you, Ed! Please help Tulane save itself from Scott Cowen!
+1
I've always said let's win for about 3 to 4 years in a row and then gauge our crowd support and go from there. The sad thing is that for the last 60 years or so we haven't had but a few winning seasons in a row.
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Thank you, Ed! Please help Tulane save itself from Scott Cowen!
+1
I've always said let's win for about 3 to 4 years in a row and then gauge our crowd support and go from there. The sad thing is that for the last 60 years or so we haven't had but a few winning seasons in a row.
good idea
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.