Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I don't disagree with you on any of these points. Maybe better coaching would have gotten us more wins. And any of the coaches we've had the past twenty years would have gotten us 3-4. Can't you be positive, even for once? I mean, its Thanksgiving weekend! Maybe McMillan's not the answer. Maybe Howard is, or there's someone else in our future, I don't know.

But I will tell you this: I'm a hell of a lot happier today than I was after game 12 any of the last four years.

When we were winning 2-3 games a year, people said they'd be happy if we'd just win 6-7 games every year and make a bowl game most of the time. We're technically one questionable spot last year from going to consecutive bowl games. And now people are going to move the goalposts and expect nothing less than Top 1o and a NY6 bowl. I mean, we're AAC West co-champs, and if not for a broken play against SMU six weeks ago, we'd be playing UCF next week for a conference title. Somehow that's not progress?

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Yes, it's time to celebrate a very gutty win. Be happy. Hope for a decent bowl game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:49 pm I don't disagree with you on any of these points. Maybe better coaching would have gotten us more wins. And any of the coaches we've had the past twenty years would have gotten us 3-4. Can't you be positive, even for once? I mean, its Thanksgiving weekend! Maybe McMillan's not the answer. Maybe Howard is, or there's someone else in our future, I don't know.

But I will tell you this: I'm a hell of a lot happier today than I was after game 12 any of the last four years.

When we were winning 2-3 games a year, people said they'd be happy if we'd just win 6-7 games every year and make a bowl game most of the time. We're technically one questionable spot last year from going to consecutive bowl games. And now people are going to move the goalposts and expect nothing less than Top 1o and a NY6 bowl. I mean, we're AAC West co-champs, and if not for a broken play against SMU six weeks ago, we'd be playing UCF next week for a conference title. Somehow that's not progress?
You're making things up now and making yourself miserable in the process. I am happy. I said I just wanted to enjoy the win. I was there and cheering my ass off. When our crowd got down as Navy drove I was the one leading the screaming.

No one ever said they would be happy if we reached a point of winning 6-7 games a year. Especially against the level of competition we play. No one. I have always said we need to win consistently against quality opposition. I have also said that in this conference we need to get to the point where we are winning 10 games a year on a regular basis and a down year being when we graduate a big class and slide back to 7-8 wins in those type of seasons. NO ONE SAID WE NEED TO BE TOP 10 OR GOING TO THE NY6 BOWL THIS YEAR. NO ONE. Being 5-3 is progress but it's understandable that most don't see that as record that makes one a division champ. also it's likely best we don't have to face UCF even with the backup QB. They would shred our pass D. So again everyone acknowledges there is some progress but most feel it should have been more at this point. Nothing wrong with expectations.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'm not going to bother looking through the archives, but yes, a number of people said they'd be satisfied with winning 6-8 games every year and going to bowl games. I think you're still hooked on some pipe dream that the glory years of the 70s will return and we'll be seen as a major player in football. Ten wins a year? The only P5s that are winning 10 games every year are the elites. In G5, who meets that threshold? Maybe Boise State? Even Houston, Memphis and UCF havent put but one or two seasons in a row of ten wins. You feel that somehow we have a status where we're better than that?

If we're 7-5 or 8-4 every season, with an occasional 9-10 win season and an occasional CCG appearance, that would be a top quality G5 program.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:15 am I'm not going to bother looking through the archives, but yes, a number of people said they'd be satisfied with winning 6-8 games every year and going to bowl games. I think you're still hooked on some pipe dream that the glory years of the 70s will return and we'll be seen as a major player in football. Ten wins a year? The only P5s that are winning 10 games every year are the elites. In G5, who meets that threshold? Maybe Boise State? Even Houston, Memphis and UCF havent put but one or two seasons in a row of ten wins. You feel that somehow we have a status where we're better than that?

If we're 7-5 or 8-4 every season, with an occasional 9-10 win season and an occasional CCG appearance, that would be a top quality G5 program.
Nope ; wrong .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wrong? Really? I just did the research, since everyone just wants to spout crap without evidence.

In the past 20 years:

Boise State has had 16 seasons of 10+ wins

Next most in ALL of G5 - Cincinnati, and UCF, with SIX seasons of 10+ wins in TWENTY YEARS.

So, I went to 9+ wins in past 20 years with 10+ win seasons in ( )

9 times - Fresno St (4)
8 times - Cincinnati (6)
7 times - UCF (6) and Navy (3)
6 times - Tulsa (5)
5 times - Houston (4) and USF (2), San Diego St (3)
4 times - ECU (1), Temple (2), Memphis (1), Utah State (3)

Most 10 win seasons in a row by anyone other than Boise State is 3 by Cincinnati and San Diego State

winwave's statement said we need to be winning 10 games a season on a regular basis. I said no one except Boise St meets that threshold. And I'm correct. No one in our entire conference has won 10 games a season more than 30% of the time in the past TWENTY YEARS.

Conclusion, AS I SAID EARLIER:
If we're 7-5 or 8-4 every season, with an occasional 9-10 win season and an occasional CCG appearance, that would be a top quality G5 program. Considering only NINE programs have accomplished even 5 nine win seasons in 20 years, including Boise State, I'd say my expectation would fall in the category of QUALITY G5 PROGRAM.
tufinal4
High Tide

If Tulane wins 7 to 10 games a year thru 2022 and sells 80 to 100% of Yulman during that time, they will be a top expansion candidate for the Big 12. The athletics would match the academics, we are a geographical fit in a recruiting target area for the Big 12. 2023 is when the next round of contracts come up.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:15 am I'm not going to bother looking through the archives, but yes, a number of people said they'd be satisfied with winning 6-8 games every year and going to bowl games. I think you're still hooked on some pipe dream that the glory years of the 70s will return and we'll be seen as a major player in football. Ten wins a year? The only P5s that are winning 10 games every year are the elites. In G5, who meets that threshold? Maybe Boise State? Even Houston, Memphis and UCF haven't put but one or two seasons in a row of ten wins. You feel that somehow we have a status where we're better than that?

No pipe dream . It's called having standards. We should be striving to be the best in this conference which would result in most years us going to the NY6 Bowl. We aren't a a P5 and thus don't play that tough of a schedule. It doesn't matter what others have done in the past . What matters is what we do going forward. 7-5 to 8-4 every year is not a quality G5. More importantly we shouldn't be trapped with a G5 mentality. We are a Division I=A program and we should be striving to be a quality one at that. Our goal has to be to become the dominant program in this conference. A once in a blue moon championship game appearance doesn't cut it. It's pitiful that you can't even say that we should win that conference championship. Don't ever give in to the Tulane low bar syndrome. When you post stuff like this you give them cover to just throw a bone to the fans every once in great while. Demand better.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wrong. I've never said we shouldn't be STRIVING to be the dominant program in this conference. My point is, it wont take 10 wins every year to be that team. I agree with tufinal4, 7-10 wins a year for the next 4 seasons, and several bowl wins, along with increased attendance, and we do become an attractive candidate for the Big 12. We have no idea just how much attendance would increase with five consecutive winning seasons, because we've never had that in anyone here's lifetime, Unless you're 80+. I think 5 consecutive winning seasons would have a huge impact on recruiting, as well as attendance.
Last edited by RobertM320 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AugWave
Swell

I really don't get some of you people on here. I really don't. Did you all expect 10 wins this season?

Delusional. You build. You improve each year. You may have a small set back every few years (which is normal, but you all wouldn't understand that), but you build after that. That's all you can ask for as a Tulane fan. If you expect someone to come in and work wonders (10+ wins per season) and actually sustain it, keep dreaming. This isn't a state school.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
RobertM320
Green Wave

AugWave wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 pm I really don't get some of you people on here. I really don't. Did you all expect 10 wins this season?

Delusional. You build. You improve each year. You may have a small set back every few years (which is normal, but you all wouldn't understand that), but you build after that. That's all you can ask for as a Tulane fan. If you expect someone to come in and work wonders (10+ wins per season) and actually sustain it, keep dreaming. This isn't a state school.
Glad to see someone else gets it.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tufinal4 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:04 am If Tulane wins 7 to 10 games a year thru 2022 and sells 80 to 100% of Yulman during that time, they will be a top expansion candidate for the Big 12. The athletics would match the academics, we are a geographical fit in a recruiting target area for the Big 12. 2023 is when the next round of contracts come up.
+1,000. That is the formula.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:09 pm Wrong. I've never said we shouldn't be STRIVING to be the dominant program in this conference. My point is, it wont take 10 wins every year to be that team. I agree with tufinal4, 7-10 wins a year for the next 4 seasons, and several bowl wins, along with increased attendance, and we do become an attractive candidate for the Big 12. We have no idea just how much attendance would increase with five consecutive winning seasons, because we've never had that in anyone here's lifetime, Unless you're 80+. I think 5 consecutive winning seasons would have a huge impact on recruiting, as well as attendance.
You never said we should be striving for that either. It will take 10 to get that NY6 spot. The 7 wins or more till 2022 isn't going to get us in the Big 12. First off there isn't going to be any more expansion. The NCAA ended that when they granted the Big 12 permission to hold a CCG without having 12 teams. Even for arguments sake if there would be expansion at that point 7 wins against our schedule isn't going to cut it. Yulman wouldn't be anywhere near 80-100% full based on that. We are getting maybe 5,000 on a regular basis. We need a dramatic increase in our performance to get to filling it up. Five seasons of 6-8 wins isn't going to move the needle. Yes getting to a Bowl is progress but people want to see more. We just did the struggle to get to a Bowl 5 seasons ago which took away some of the excitement to people this time. It's why we need to see more than just a one win increase next year if you want to start building attendance. People are happy we got in this year but they rightfully want to see very noticeable progress before they get back in the fold.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

AugWave wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 pm I really don't get some of you people on here. I really don't. Did you all expect 10 wins this season?

No one said we had to have 10 wins this year. You don't have to be a state school to get to that plateau against our schedule. We don't play LSU's schedule. Read before posting. All you do now when you post is to bitch about the site. Make some progress.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:35 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:09 pm Wrong. I've never said we shouldn't be STRIVING to be the dominant program in this conference. My point is, it wont take 10 wins every year to be that team. I agree with tufinal4, 7-10 wins a year for the next 4 seasons, and several bowl wins, along with increased attendance, and we do become an attractive candidate for the Big 12. We have no idea just how much attendance would increase with five consecutive winning seasons, because we've never had that in anyone here's lifetime, Unless you're 80+. I think 5 consecutive winning seasons would have a huge impact on recruiting, as well as attendance.
You never said we should be striving for that either. It will take 10 to get that NY6 spot. The 7 wins or more till 2022 isn't going to get us in the Big 12. First off there isn't going to be any more expansion. The NCAA ended that when they granted the Big 12 permission to hold a CCG without having 12 teams. Even for arguments sake if there would be expansion at that point 7 wins against our schedule isn't going to cut it. Yulman wouldn't be anywhere near 80-100% full based on that. We are getting maybe 5,000 on a regular basis. We need a dramatic increase in our performance to get to filling it up. Five seasons of 6-8 wins isn't going to move the needle. Yes getting to a Bowl is progress but people want to see more. We just did the struggle to get to a Bowl 5 seasons ago which took away some of the excitement to people this time. It's why we need to see more than just a one win increase next year if you want to start building attendance. People are happy we got in this year but they rightfully want to see very noticeable progress before they get back in the fold.
Striving and being realistic are two different things. Sure, we should strive to win every game we play. Is it realistic to expect that will happen? No. I agree with you that there's not going to be more expansion. But your expectations of us becoming a perennial 10 game winner are as realistic as me winning the lottery. Considering NO G5 TEAM except Boise State comes anywhere near that standard in the past TWO DECADES, its highly unlikely we'll be the next one. And if there's not going to be any further expansion, then what's the rush to be at 10 wins by 2019? Get another good recruiting class, go 7-5 next season and another bowl, then another good class and 8-4 in 2020, maybe an appearance in the CG. Before you know it, you're looking at a Tulane team with three consecutive bowl appearances and maybe a Conf Championship. That's how the buildings going to happen.

And at that point, 3 straight winning seasons and three straight bowl appearances is better than anything you've seen from Tulane in your lifetime. You make yourself miserable with ridiculous expectations.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll have to agree to disagree. If we as fans don't express those expectations to this athletic department we''ll get 4-7 wins a year on a regular basis. I haven't said we have to have 10 starting next year though there are 10 to be had. Expecting 8 is realistic. I get building. Nothing I've said says otherwise. I've just said where we need to get if we want to be a player.

As for what I've seen fro Tulane that's you getting stuck on the Tulane low bar. It's ok to demand more. It really is. You make yourself miserable coming up with tangent after tangent to go off on and twisting yourself into a pretzel while doing it. I'm happy as can be. One can be happy and discuss the progress and the warts.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:15 am If we're 7-5 or 8-4 every season, with an occasional 9-10 win season and an occasional CCG appearance, that would be a top quality G5 program.
But we're not. Period. We haven't won 7 games since 2013, when, due to MANY key injuries to opposing players, we left at least 2 or 3 wins on the table. Win 9 or 10 once or twice in a short time span then let's talk. Right now we played up to become mediocre. Mediocre at best is not where we want to be. Talk all you want about losing games by less than one score. The scoreboard shows us at 6-6. That will get us, thankfully, to a bs bowl game. We're not even close to being in the top half of the G5, much less the BCS at large. Just keep it real.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:21 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:15 am If we're 7-5 or 8-4 every season, with an occasional 9-10 win season and an occasional CCG appearance, that would be a top quality G5 program.
But we're not. Period. We haven't won 7 games since 2013, when, due to MANY key injuries to opposing players, we left at least 2 or 3 wins on the table. Win 9 or 10 once or twice in a short time span then let's talk. Right now we played up to become mediocre. Mediocre at best is not where we want to be. Talk all you want about losing games by less than one score. The scoreboard shows us at 6-6. That will get us, thankfully, to a bs bowl game. We're not even close to being in the top half of the G5, much less the BCS at large. Just keep it real.
I agree. 100%. We're not there. We've won 7+ games 4 times in the last 38 seasons. I'd be hard pressed to find another FBS program with as few. I can't think of any right now. Putting 3 in a row has never happened in my lifetime, and I'll be 60 in Feb. So its kinda ridiculous for people on this board to say they would be dissatisfied with a level of competency they've NEVER EXPERIENCED at Tulane. I don't have delusions of grandeur. I think we caught our lightning in a bottle in 1998, and we dropped the bottle and let it get away. Half of FBS has NEVER had that experience. I'd rather consider myself fortunate to have experienced it once, than to constantly hold out for the next one. Its like the gambling addict that hit the big pot once on the slots, then lost it all. So now he keeps playing those slots waiting for it to happen again.

Let me ask this: do you think the people at Purdue or Rutgers have these delusions? Do they have these expectations that they'll reach a point where they can consistently win the Big 10, or even be a consistent 8-10 game winner? Of course not. They play the games, they take their share of the huge pot of money, they fund the rest of their programs, and accept what little success they do achieve. And they don't consider their program unsuccessful because they don't win 10 games every year and win championships.
anEngineer
Riptide

Very few programs could ever be consistent 10-game winners. That is a ridiculous expectation that will leave a person ever-angry and disappointed (hey, that sounds familiar on this site). Absolutely true that lower P5s don't consider their programs as failures because they can't win conference. They play for the money and the occasional big season with some big upsets. That's the fun of college football.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Complete and utter BS. As Jonathan would label it "Stockholm Syndrome." Yes, I not only think, but I know the folks at Rutgers think they can win 10 games and compete for Big 10 Championships every year. Before Schiano left, they were on the verge of being that type of program. (And yes, that was before their Big 10 days, I know, but that's what got them the invite, something the sports world would laugh at were Tulane to get an invite to a "P" conference.) It can be done anywhere that plays at the highest level IF the administration commits to winning. If they commit to trying to reach 6-7 wins.

If you aspire to be 7-5 or 8-4 you are a loser. More often than not that program will not win more than they lose. You have to aim for the top, get there every now and then, and fall short when the program "only" wins 8 games.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Again you conflate the two. YES, we aspire to aim for the top. Doesn't mean you can't also be realistic and understand that there's a level of acceptable success that can be achieved without reaching the top. And as Engineer said, if you can't accept that, you'll be always angry.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

No, we'll be real. This was NOT a successful season, despite making a bowl game. This season should have been better, and I'm sorry if you simply accept that 6-6 was good for the program. Was it better than 5-7? Sure. But other coaches hired into just as bad situations have done more (see Dino Babers and Syracuse.) We're not on any "trajectory" towards being a factor, just one that is competitive in a mediocre conference. I want, and I think the few remaining die hards agree, much more.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

R- First off we aren’t in a P5 like those schools you want to use as an example. Having expectations gives one something to look forward to. No one is angry or negative just because they can talk honestly about the current state of the program.
The bottom line is that everyone doesn’t have to see it the way you do for the world to still be ok. You make yourself miserable trying to to convince everyone they need to see it your way. You are in the minority though with your view. All those people empty seats tells you so. They all walked away because of the state of the program and the low expectations. We went from 4 to 5 to 6 wins and from 1 to 3 to 5 wins in conference yet we had the lowest amount of Tulane fans in the stands since Yulman opened. We were usually outnumbered by opposing fans. People have higher expectations.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Again, I've not said that 6-6 is a good season. Its better than what we've had, and we're still trending forward. I want more as well. And I've already clearly stated that 2019, even though the schedule could be as tough or tougher than this past season, needs to see a major step forward in wins. I'm not in any way accepting that this is the best we can hope for.

To D: How can you say we're not on any trajectory towards being a factor? We're one fluke drive by SMU from being AAC West division champions. That's not being a factor? That's not a huge step from where we were just 3 seasons ago? And you can't use Dino Babers to compare, because he's working with the P5 brand in his favor.

Again, if we're not 7-5 or 8-4 at least next season, and again in a position to win the division, then we have to start seeing changes.
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:07 pm Again, I've not said that 6-6 is a good season. Its better than what we've had, and we're still trending forward. I want more as well. And I've already clearly stated that 2019, even though the schedule could be as tough or tougher than this past season, needs to see a major step forward in wins. I'm not in any way accepting that this is the best we can hope for.

To D: How can you say we're not on any trajectory towards being a factor? We're one fluke drive by SMU from being AAC West division champions. That's not being a factor? That's not a huge step from where we were just 3 seasons ago? And you can't use Dino Babers to compare, because he's working with the P5 brand in his favor.

Again, if we're not 7-5 or 8-4 at least next season, and again in a position to win the division, then we have to start seeing changes.
If McMillan had quaterbacked the team for the SMU game, we would be playing for the league championship this coming Saturday.