Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Greenanyway
Ripple

Wow! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think you are being ridiculously hard on Ed in this case. There were certainly times in the past when I disagreed with his angles, such as defending coaching stability when the train was clearly off the track (i.e. CJ), and his chastising of TU fans for a lack of support of administrations that had been inept for decade upon decade. However, I find nothing in the Clarion Herald article that is unfactual or slanted. As far as being able to see these same facts on the two boards, did you possibly consider that much of the general public doesn’t visit them?! We complain about the lack of TU coverage in the general media, then we pick an article apart when one is put into print?! In this case, Ed told it like it is, and if you think that he’s an enemy, then we have absolutely no allies!

wave97
Swell

Retaining/Hiring staff after a successful season is the magic sauce. I believe we have a President who views the Athletic Department as an asset, not a hindrance. That's a good place to start.
I agree with you Golf, Ed Daniels has been great for Tulane.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Maybe I was overly harsh and I do appreciate anyone who is a supporter of the program (as several have said Ed is). Some of it was frustration of how we are treated by the media (some of which is accurate), but my specific points criticizing the article stand and could be expounded to several more. So perhaps garbage was hyperbole, but that article definitely wasn’t quality.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:18 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:09 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:27 am come early, stay late and be loud
https://clarionherald.org/2018/08/16/tu ... ing-hires/
Did Ed say ANYTHING that hasn't been posted here? I don't think so.
D...I have spoken to a few connected Tulane people, each has told me Ed has been working with several of the marketing people, and introducing them to many business' in metro NOLA to help Tulane ...one has told me that Ed is more or less, an unpaid Tulane Staffer...how true that is, we may never know..but that is what I am told
Damn.

I wish I read this before I posted my own flawed comment about one of his articles! Sorry Guerry! I appreciate any coverage that helps out our University.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bigschtick
Riptide

Greenanyway wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:52 pm Wow! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think you are being ridiculously hard on Ed in this case. There were certainly times in the past when I disagreed with his angles, such as defending coaching stability when the train was clearly off the track (i.e. CJ), and his chastising of TU fans for a lack of support of administrations that had been inept for decade upon decade. However, I find nothing in the Clarion Herald article that is unfactual or slanted. As far as being able to see these same facts on the two boards, did you possibly consider that much of the general public doesn’t visit them?! We complain about the lack of TU coverage in the general media, then we pick an article apart when one is put into print?! In this case, Ed told it like it is, and if you think that he’s an enemy, then we have absolutely no allies!
I second that. He is an ally and I am grateful to him for that.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Graff “In the SportsZone” tonight with Ed
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 pm Graff “In the SportsZone” tonight with Ed
Here’s a small clip from the show.
https://wgno.com/2018/08/22/in-the-wgno ... 18-record/
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

Ed is right. The administration must want nothing but a winning program
but simply is not willing to make that commitment because they have never been bright enough to understand how it benefits the university.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
JerseyWave
Riptide

I’m sick and tired of hearing about how Willie Fritz won everywhere he’s been prior to Tulane. Fritz had most of his success coaching Division 2 and Junior College. Fritz and most of his staff have never coached major college football. It’s a big difference when you are competing against the big boys most weeks. Buddy Teevens is a successful Ivy League Coach but he failed at Tulane and Stanford. Fritz doesn’t know how to coach the forward pass and without that you can’t win at the P6 level.
msdos
Swell

JerseyWave wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:46 pm I’m sick and tired of hearing about how Willie Fritz won everywhere he’s been prior to Tulane. Fritz had most of his success coaching Division 2 and Junior College. Fritz and most of his staff have never coached major college football. It’s a big difference when you are competing against the big boys most weeks. Buddy Teevens is a successful Ivy League Coach but he failed at Tulane and Stanford. Fritz doesn’t know how to coach the forward pass and without that you can’t win at the P6 level.
100%

This has been the line that everyone seems to have rehearsed. Let's face the facts though, the man is a career JV coach. If he was such a great coach, how come it took JV AD Troy Dannen to finally give him a shot after 20+ years?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The Readers Digest Version ..... " Tulane, Time to Shit, or Get Off the Pot' ...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:46 pm I’m sick and tired of hearing about how Willie Fritz won everywhere he’s been prior to Tulane. Fritz had most of his success coaching Division 2 and Junior College. Fritz and most of his staff have never coached major college football. It’s a big difference when you are competing against the big boys most weeks.
I've felt like this since Day 1. I don't give a rats ass what he did before he got here. Bottom line is he and his staff are NOT getting it done.

Crowdsurfing in the locker room because we beat Nicholls says it all.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tufinal4
High Tide

Ed is right about a lack of unwavering commitment from the board & president's office to winning, period. His disdain for the statement "we have to find the right fit", offered so many times by Tulane over the years, resonates with all of us.

He fails to acknowledge, however, that Tulane stepped up and paid real money for a coach for the first time, and opened up our recruiting to basically match power 5 conference standards (i.e. NCAA minimum, no partial qualifiers).

Even with these changes, it isn't working yet. The question will be what Tulane's next move is if it doesn't work by next year. With all this investment now made, I presume they will have to eat crow, absorb the expensive buyout and go hire another expensive coach. It would be nice to hear a reassuring message about this from the top.

The truth lies sonewhere in between.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:37 am
JerseyWave wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:46 pm I’m sick and tired of hearing about how Willie Fritz won everywhere he’s been prior to Tulane. Fritz had most of his success coaching Division 2 and Junior College. Fritz and most of his staff have never coached major college football. It’s a big difference when you are competing against the big boys most weeks.
I've felt like this since Day 1. I don't give a rats ass what he did before he got here. Bottom line is he and his staff are NOT getting it done.

Crowdsurfing in the locker room because we beat Nicholls says it all.
I understand Fritz was planing a full blown parade for winning the "Spring Game"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tufinal4 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am Ed is right about a lack of unwavering commitment from the board & president's office to winning, period. His disdain for the statement "we have to find the right fit", offered so many times by Tulane over the years, resonates with all of us.

He fails to acknowledge, however, that Tulane stepped up and paid real money for a coach for the first time, and opened up our recruiting to basically match power 5 conference standards (i.e. NCAA minimum, no partial qualifiers).

Even with these changes, it isn't working yet. The question will be what Tulane's next move is if it doesn't work by next year. With all this investment now made, I presume they will have to eat crow, absorb the expensive buyout and go hire another expensive coach. It would be nice to hear a reassuring message about this from the top.

The truth lies sonewhere in between.
What is the buyout?
tufinal4
High Tide

I don't know. I presumed expensive because we gave an extension on a $1.5m annual contract through 2023.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tufinal4 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:03 pm I don't know. I presumed expensive because we gave an extension on a $1.5m annual contract through 2023.
Willie is making $1.629 million.
It’s usually a % on what’s left. So after this season we owe him $8.1 million if he’s fired. I’d assume he’d probably take $4 million in a settlement.
For reference Nick Saban has a $34 million dollar buyout.

Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Let's be honest no one knows the buyout amount. I don't think it's nearly what some think. Usually when you get an extension such as his it's more for recruiting purposes and the extra years aren't included in the buyout.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:05 pm Let's be honest no one knows the buyout amount. I don't think it's nearly what some think. Usually when you get an extension such as his it's more for recruiting purposes and the extra years aren't included in the buyout.
I hope that’s the case but that’s usually just when you have like 1 year left on your deal.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

WOW!

I'm surprised that Ed is not at all critical of the offense, particularly the downright refusal of our offense to work the perimeter and make the opponent cover sideline to sideline as opposed to just between the hash marks.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:58 pm WOW!

I'm surprised that Ed is not at all critical of the offense, particularly the downright refusal of our offense to work the perimeter and make the opponent cover sideline to sideline as opposed to just between the hash marks.
I think Ruse gets his play calls from this tape, they are just not as successful
https://digitallibrary.tulane.edu/islan ... EKRAlzJQx4
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:03 pm

I think Ruse gets his play calls from this tape, they are just not as successful
Now, now, alright 'Nut, :wave: it could be worse, we could be Frank Wilson's UTSA Roadrunners who have now lost 5 in a row and are 3-8, CUSA 2-5, :P
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:28 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Now, now, alright 'Nut, :wave: it could be worse, we could be Frank Wilson's UTSA Roadrunners who have now lost 5 in a row and are 3-8, CUSA 2-5, :P
could be, but they qualified for a bowl last year, unlike Tulane...3 of the 8 L's were to P5's and they also lost to UAB...played 3 P5's to open the season...gotta admit I thought they would win 6 games this year, but the FIU games screwed that up