Ed Daniels Speaks Again

golfnut69
Tsunami

Re: Ed Daniels Speaks Again

Postby golfnut69 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:53 pm

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:besides financial issues the biggest problem at Tulane is the lack of true educators....these lazy tenured ass holes only want those who make their job easy, not those they can inspire to reach further....

And how do you know this, golfnut? I agree with most of what you post, but my time at Tulane put me face to face with at least 8-12 absolutely phenomenal professors. I'll admit that it was a long time ago. But I'm really curious what makes you make such a bold and negative statement? Yes, some profs are outspoken about athletics. But this blanket statement is offensive to those of us that are proud of our Tulane degrees.

All U need to know, are those who are not allowed to enter Tulane, remember those "exceptions' that CJ was allowed, that proves my point... and FYI, I am not negative, I am positive they are ass holes

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

Wave755
Swell

Postby Wave755 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:05 pm

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:besides financial issues the biggest problem at Tulane is the lack of true educators....these lazy tenured ass holes only want those who make their job easy, not those they can inspire to reach further....

And how do you know this, golfnut? I agree with most of what you post, but my time at Tulane put me face to face with at least 8-12 absolutely phenomenal professors. I'll admit that it was a long time ago. But I'm really curious what makes you make such a bold and negative statement? Yes, some profs are outspoken about athletics. But this blanket statement is offensive to those of us that are proud of our Tulane degrees.

And, Nut is a graduate of SLU, not Tulane. What would Nut know of Tulane's faculty, present or past?

golfnut69
Tsunami

Postby golfnut69 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

And, Nut is a graduate of SLU, not Tulane. What would Nut know of Tulane's faculty, present or past?

I have two brothers with Tulane degrees...and once dated a Tulane faculty member when I was doing the radio broadcast with Ken and Steve

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

Wave755
Swell

Postby Wave755 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:00 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I have two brothers with Tulane degrees...and once dated a Tulane faculty member when I was doing the radio broadcast with Ken and Steve

:lolgreen: Hmm, and I wonder how long ago that was?

DfromCT
Riptide

Postby DfromCT » Sun May 28, 2017 2:44 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

All U need to know, are those who are not allowed to enter Tulane, remember those "exceptions' that CJ was allowed, that proves my point... and FYI, I am not negative, I am positive they are ass holes

That doesn't prove your point at all, unless you knew the kids. Some kids want to learn. Some kids don't. Those that do will find a way to get passing grades. Those that don't will never make it at Tulane. They'll make it somewhere where they will be coddled and protected, and graduate with zero life skills.

This will be a topic we agree to disagree on, Woody.

" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

golfnut69
Tsunami

Postby golfnut69 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I have a nephew there now and still keep in touch with the lovely lady, who is still on staff...the issue is not how long ago I was involved, it is how long the staff ass holes have been there, and when they retire, hiring others just like themselves...the proof is there for all to see...

Wave755
Swell

Postby Wave755 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:36 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I have a nephew there now and still keep in touch with the lovely lady, who is still on staff...the issue is not how long ago I was involved, it is how long the staff ass holes have been there, and when they retire, hiring others just like themselves...the proof is there for all to see...

Just think what this forum would be like if SLU grad 'Nut hated Tulane? :shakingno:

Happy to say I had mostly great and very dedicated professors while at Tulane.

golfnut69
Tsunami

Postby golfnut69 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:11 pm

Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Just think what this forum would be like if SLU grad 'Nut hated Tulane? :shakingno:

Happy to say I had mostly great and very dedicated professors while at Tulane.

Please, tell us what it would be like, I would love to know some have posted having 8 to 12 fabulous professors...last count Tulane had 2511 faculty members and it seems the majority are anti athletics... I wonder how many grads or students from other universities have given their time, merchandise,services and money to Tulane...I know my contributions are in the six figures...I will post Mr Ed's take, which started this thread, seems to me he shares my view point

http://sportsnola.com/fixes-needed-tula ... p-winning/
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon May 29, 2017 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

winwave
Green Wave

Postby winwave » Mon May 29, 2017 12:09 am

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:To your edited portion of the post yes those schools do go after them. It shows they are good players who we should be going after. The change in scholarship money rules helps us there as they are limited in the number of players they can give money to. The bottom line is it's our coaches job to win said battle.

( When a moderator edits a post it doesn't show up as being edited like everyone else's post)

I just referenced what I was discussing. No reason to post the entire quote. Your original post with that quote has not been edited.
Anyone can edit their post if it's the last post and it won't show up as being edited.

I never said you edited my post . You edited your post after I quoted and responded to your original post. You edited it to add the A portion. Originally there was no A and B. There was just what you said in the B version. I just responded to that. Moderators post don't reflect when and how many times they have edited their own post.

It's the facilities stupid!

DfromCT
Riptide

Postby DfromCT » Mon May 29, 2017 8:49 am

Most Tulane students take 32 classes in their four undergraduate years. I happened to take 3 classes each from 2 profs that I really liked. So that means I had 28 professors in my 4 years, and yes, 8-12 of those 28 were outstanding. The 2511 number was and is meaningless to me; I can only speak to the sample that I experienced. By definition, not all (in any sample on any topic) can be outstanding.

And again, Ed Daniels didn't say a thing that hasn't been said repeatedly on this board for years. His article could have been written 10 or 20 years ago. We've been our own worst enemy since the 1950's.

" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

golfnut69
Tsunami

Postby golfnut69 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:21 am

there are some who wish to disparage education from other colleges / universities....one of my Brothers who has an undergraduate degree from SLU and post Grad degrees from Tulane and West Point, served in the Military for almost 34 years... had a life insurance policy that named Tulane Athletics as the beneficiary, I am told the amount was 50,000 it may have been 100,000.00... his wife, whom I never got along with was in charge of distributing the funds, but I know the donation was made....his address is Section 55 Grave 1382 Arlington National ....Tulane needs to be grateful for the people who never had the opportunity to attend, but support Tulane, walks on.

Bigschtick
Swell

Postby Bigschtick » Mon May 29, 2017 10:44 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Thats enough of a connection to Tulane for me, Golf nut! :)

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!

DfromCT
Riptide

Postby DfromCT » Mon May 29, 2017 11:00 am

golfnut69 wrote:there are some who wish to disparage education from other colleges / universities....one of my Brothers who has an undergraduate degree from SLU and post Grad degrees from Tulane and West Point, served in the Military for almost 34 years... had a life insurance policy that named Tulane Athletics as the beneficiary, I am told the amount was 50,000 it may have been 100,000.00... his wife, whom I never got along with was in charge of distributing the funds, but I know the donation was made....his address is Section 55 Grave 1382 Arlington National ....Tulane needs to be grateful for the people who never had the opportunity to attend, but support Tulane, walks on.

I do appreciate what your brother, YOU and your family has done for Tulane. I just don't agree that there's two thousand lazy dumb asses teaching classes at Tulane. Most Universities fight the battle between faculty and athletics, it's nothing unique to Tulane. It may be exagerated at Tulane, I don't know. But it's prevalent throughout academia.

Again, Woody, I want you to know that I do appreciate the support you and your family have given Tulane. If we had a thousand families like yours, we'd have a whole lot of good things working for us. THANKS!

Bigschtick
Swell

Postby Bigschtick » Mon May 29, 2017 11:08 am

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:there are some who wish to disparage education from other colleges / universities....one of my Brothers who has an undergraduate degree from SLU and post Grad degrees from Tulane and West Point, served in the Military for almost 34 years... had a life insurance policy that named Tulane Athletics as the beneficiary, I am told the amount was 50,000 it may have been 100,000.00... his wife, whom I never got along with was in charge of distributing the funds, but I know the donation was made....his address is Section 55 Grave 1382 Arlington National ....Tulane needs to be grateful for the people who never had the opportunity to attend, but support Tulane, walks on.

I do appreciate what your brother, YOU and your family has done for Tulane. I just don't agree that there's two thousand lazy dumb asses teaching classes at Tulane. Most Universities fight the battle between faculty and athletics, it's nothing unique to Tulane. It may be exagerated at Tulane, I don't know. But it's prevalent throughout academia.

Again, Woody, I want you to know that I do appreciate the support you and your family have given Tulane. If we had a thousand families like yours, we'd have a whole lot of good things working for us. THANKS!

I second that D! Thank you!

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!

msdos
Swell

Postby msdos » Mon May 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Just wanted to chime in on the professor thing here.
I only did grad school at Tulane but all professors were top notch educators. Most weren't anti-athletics, they just didn't care, really.

ajcalhoun
Swell

Postby ajcalhoun » Mon May 29, 2017 1:38 pm

I remember back when Alabama first hired Nick Saban and ESPN interviewed some art professor who thought it was ridiculous that his school would pay so much money for a football coach. I wonder how that professor feels today or if he even still has a job there.

Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee or Andy Cannizaro.

Wave755
Swell

Postby Wave755 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:41 pm

'Nut's post about professors is irrelevant to what ails Tulane Athletics. Tulane professors were not responsible for the "strategic blunder" in 1965 for withdrawing from the SEC or the "tactical blunders" for not hiring Lindy Infante in 1979 or saying "no" to Richard Rodriquez in 1998 in favor of Georgia's offensive line coach, Chris Scelfo.

Historically Tulane's problem for athletics has been Gibson Hall, not its faculty. 'Nut has never been a student at Tulane, I went to Tulane for 7 years, A&S and Law. Rarely, if ever, did faculty speak of athletics at Tulane and when doing so seemed quite ambivalent and reasoned on the subject. I found no consensus among Tulane faculty for ending or dropping down athletics to a lower level.

Mike Fitts became Tulane president in July 2014. The "jury is still out" for whether he will lead us back to respectability for the truly important sports, football & men's basketball.

'Nut's post on Tulane professors shows a hostility and antipathy to my alma mater. Sadly, this is not the first time 'Nut has made such a post on this forum.

golfnut69
Tsunami

Postby golfnut69 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:43 pm

This will be my last post regarding this subject...wave755 and I do not agree on what outside, or inside, influences the Athletics Dept decsions made at Tulane, but we both want is best for Tulane, and for that I thank him for his support...I base my opinion on the meetings I have attended in regards to two building projects, the renovation of Fogelman during Chet Gladchucks tenure and the construction of the Wilson Center when Mack was AD... I admit to hostility toward those who wish not to succeed...I do not suffer from apathy, if I did why would i continue to contribute.... everyone have a great day and take a moment to thank those who serve, so we can have these trivial discussions

Wave755
Swell

Postby Wave755 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:33 pm

golfnut69 wrote: I admit to hostility toward those who wish not to succeed...I do not suffer from apathy, if I did why would i continue to contribute....

Definition for antipathy (anˈtēpəTHē/)
noun: antipathy; plural noun: antipathies -
a deep-seated feeling of dislike; aversion.
synonyms:
hostility, antagonism, animosity, aversion, animus, enmity, dislike, distaste, hatred, hate, abhorrence, loathing.

golfnut69
Tsunami

Postby golfnut69 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Wave755
Swell

Postby Wave755 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:16 pm

golfnut69 wrote:webster's take on "apathy"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... uGZ2nGEQqg

I wrote," 'Nut's post on Tulane professors shows a hostility and antipathy to my alma mater. Sadly, this is not the first time 'Nut has made such a post on this forum."

Antipathy 'Nut, not apathy.