Wave Wins the Memphis Series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:
DfromCT wrote:The Gozzo twins are going to transfer out? Their Daddy doesn't like New Orleans? Maybe someone should talk to him about the value of a Tulane education. Or has Pierce been whispering in the father's ear?
I'd be shocked if Pierce wants them at Texas. He can recruit much better there. They've been unimpressive to say the least this year
I thought both played well at points. Paul had to catch while still recovering from shoulder surgery due to Montalbano's injury. Sal was clearly the better defensive option despite many predicting that Hoese was going to be our SS. While both of them were challenged at the plate, they had their moments. And I remember a shortstop that graduated last year that didn't hit a heck of lot better his true freshman year and turned out to be one of our greatest shortstops ever!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
DfromCT wrote:The Gozzo twins are going to transfer out? Their Daddy doesn't like New Orleans? Maybe someone should talk to him about the value of a Tulane education. Or has Pierce been whispering in the father's ear?
I'd be shocked if Pierce wants them at Texas. He can recruit much better there. They've been unimpressive to say the least this year
I thought both played well at points. Paul had to catch while still recovering from shoulder surgery due to Montalbano's injury. Sal was clearly the better defensive option despite many predicting that Hoese was going to be our SS. While both of them were challenged at the plate, they had their moments. And I remember a shortstop that graduated last year that didn't hit a heck of lot better his true freshman year and turned out to be one of our greatest shortstops ever!
Less than .550 OPS for both.
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Paul got off to a decent start, I'll give him that.

Based on what was Sal clearly the better defensive SS? The two SS are pretty even.
Alemais struggled as a freshman too, that's correct. The difference is that it was clear that he had great range and a very strong arm. Haven't seen that from the SS position this year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We don't have a starting caliber catcher or SS on the roster (not counting Montalbano as he is still injured). That is why we have several at both positions coming in next year.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Game two: Now Wave 9, Memphis 1 after 7 innings.
Wave755
Tsunami

Final Game Two: Wave 9, Memphis 6

Solesky gives up only 3 hits and 1 run after 6 innings; Giles in relief gives up only 1 hit and no runs and then blows up in the 9th giving up 6 hits and 5 runs; Colletti in relief gets final out, whew!!!

This is a very hard Tulane team to figure, to say the least.
Houma de Wave
Swell

That 9th inning was no fun to watch. The trigger was not pulled fast enough and this should never have been a "save" situation.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Wave755 wrote:Final Game Two: Wave 9, Memphis 6

Solesky gives up only 3 hits and 1 run after 6 innings; Giles in relief gives up only 1 hit and no runs and then blows up in the 9th giving up 6 hits and 5 runs; Colletti in relief gets final out, whew!!!

What's hard to figure out about winning a game against Memphis? They aren't good
Show Me
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:

What's hard to figure out about winning a game against Memphis? They aren't good
Yep. I was thinking the same thing. Memphis is terrible.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The bright spot is that Solesky has had two good extended outings in a row. Maybe we have a third starter for the AAC tournament.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Timberhead
Trickle

Profoundwizard wrote:
You , "sir", are a piece of shit. STFU.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Timberhead wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
You , "sir", are a piece of sh*t. STFU.
Family member I guess?
chain gang x man
Swell

Timberhead wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Not called for here
Profoundwizard
Swell

I don't think what I said was out of line. You guys let me know if it was.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

And yet, their overall record is better than ours. :oops:

However, I did just take a glance at warrennolan this morning. I know we've had a rocky season, but its not like we played a chump schedule. Our overall SOS is #15, and our non-conf SOS is #22. That's an SEC/ACC type schedule. Not sure we were talented enough to pull that off. To clarify that, only 9 other teams in the country were in the Top 25 in both categories. Three were in the Pac 12, the rest were SEC or ACC. We're the only non-P5 school other than Rice to play that type of schedule. And several of the others didn't fare well either. See Rice, Cal, Arizona State, UCLA, Miami-FL. Only SC, Vandy, FL, Fla State and NC had decent seasons, and only 3 won 35 or more games. Its a rugged schedule to play all season and expect to be competitive, when you don't have the money available that these other schools have, and you don't get the talent because you're not a P5.
Last edited by RobertM320 on Sat May 20, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bearwave
High Tide

There will be massive turnover at the end of this season....and I doubt any are headed to UT. Pierce doesn't have to leave south Texas to get top talent.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Timberhead wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Timberhead, WTF? Even if you're the Daddy, sorry, but this response is WAY over the top. And if you are their father, you should think about letting the young men make decisions for themselves. I'm not saying Tulane is the best place for them, but transferring out to east nowhere Junior College and praying that they get an offer from a legitimate University is not an easy path. I've seen quite a few athletes take it and never see the field at the D1 level again.

I would imagine that the Gozzo twins are not on full scholarship. Tulane is expensive, or I'd argue overpriced. There's nothing wrong with transferring, but please respect the University that gave the Gozzo boys a shot at playing at the highest non-professional level. And appreciate the opportunity to get a Tulane degree. As a fellow CT resident, there's not a lot of non-Ivy league Universities that open doors with their degrees. Tulane is one of them.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

And yet, their overall record is better than ours. :oops:

However, I did just take a glance at warrennolan this morning. I know we've had a rocky season, but its not like we played a chump schedule. Our overall SOS is #15, and our non-conf SOS is #22. That's an SEC/ACC type schedule. Not sure we were talented enough to pull that off. To clarify that, only 9 other teams in the country were in the Top 25 in both categories. Three were in the Pac 12, the rest were SEC or ACC. We're the only non-P5 school other than Rice to play that type of schedule. And several of the others didn't fare well either. See Rice, Cal, Arizona State, UCLA, Miami-FL. Only SC, Vandy, FL, Fla State and NC had decent seasons, and only 3 won 35 or more games. Its a rugged schedule to play all season and expect to be competitive, when you don't have the money available that these other schools have, and you don't get the talent because you're not a P5.
Word is next years schedule will be very similar.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Timberhead wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Timberhead....let your true feelings be known, holding things in only causes long term emotional issues, this is what we are seeing thru out the country since the "PC" gods have been in control !!! in all seriousness, sounds like a great deal of frustation and rumor have hit a raw nerve and it is understandable since the season has not gone the way all of us thought it would or hoped....so sit back, relax and enjoy the boys of summer, they have gone between the lines, which is more, than many can say or post
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Timberhead
Trickle

I'm not their father. I have no relation to them and do not know them. Many of the guys have played for four coaches in three years, and none other than the seniors have played for a coach that recruited them for more than one year. If you have any familiarity with baseball and recruiting (and anti-athlete transfer rules), you know this is incredibly difficult. Paul came in with Jeremy going down and has done admirably. I don't know if they are looking to move on or not, but I wouldn't fault them for that. This has been a systemic failure. I know this is a fan blog, but these are kids that have been through the wringer. I'm just sick of the hate.
ajcalhoun
Swell

chain gang x man wrote:
Timberhead wrote: You , "sir", are a piece of sh*t. STFU.
Not called for here
Profoundwizard wrote:I don't think what I said was out of line. You guys let me know if it was.
Way out of line! No one here deserves to be called "sir!"
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Timberhead wrote:I'm not their father. I have no relation to them and do not know them. Many of the guys have played for four coaches in three years, and none other than the seniors have played for a coach that recruited them for more than one year. If you have any familiarity with baseball and recruiting (and anti-athlete transfer rules), you know this is incredibly difficult. Paul came in with Jeremy going down and has done admirably. I don't know if they are looking to move on or not, but I wouldn't fault them for that. This has been a systemic failure. I know this is a fan blog, but these are kids that have been through the wringer. I'm just sick of the hate.
I think, and it is just my opinion, many are frustrated on several fronts, the record, the hiring process of the HC, something Dannen allowed his ego to get in the way of ... and the overall coaching or lack thereof of and the resulting non improvement of the overall team....a lack of consistency and poor communication seem to have continued thru out this season... I still think this hire was a bad hire, he had two canidates with excellent experience and ties to the University and he allowed his too big ego to get in the way...I wish the best for all of the players an coach's, but changes need to be made, and quickly, or this once proud program will never recover
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

Timberhead wrote:I'm not their father. I have no relation to them and do not know them. Many of the guys have played for four coaches in three years, and none other than the seniors have played for a coach that recruited them for more than one year. If you have any familiarity with baseball and recruiting (and anti-athlete transfer rules), you know this is incredibly difficult. Paul came in with Jeremy going down and has done admirably. I don't know if they are looking to move on or not, but I wouldn't fault them for that. This has been a systemic failure. I know this is a fan blog, but these are kids that have been through the wringer. I'm just sick of the hate.
Hate? I simply said that neither have played very well. I've got nothing against the kids. I hope that they turn it around, but I didn't say anything hateful.
chain gang x man
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote:I don't think what I said was out of line. You guys let me know if it was.
You have said worse :lol: :lol: :lol:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We win 6-5. In the top of the 9th we had one on and two out. Rowland pinch hit for Artigues and hit a two run homer. Colletti came in to close it out. Price gave a decent 3 innings. Issa had a good inning. Thursday's loss we did things wrong in every aspect and that cost us a sweep. Nevertheless we finish by winning 4 out of 5 going into the AAC tourney. We'll play USF at 2 on Tuesday on CBSSN .