Tulane and LSU host FB camp in June

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Darn it, Tulane. If Harbaugh was really coming to New Orleans as the Sports Illustrated article said he was, Tulane may have not have made the best decision here.
If Harbaugh was truly coming (and he double booked those days, so who knows?) we made the worst decision possible in my opinion. Why help LSU? They go out of their way NOT to help Tulane.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Darn it, Tulane. If Harbaugh was really coming to New Orleans as the Sports Illustrated article said he was, Tulane may have not have made the best decision here.
If Harbaugh was truly coming (and he double booked those days, so who knows?) we made the worst decision possible in my opinion. Why help LSU? They go out of their way NOT to help Tulane.
Agree. The only thing that will change that is if in a few months it gets announced that LSU will be playing that game they owe us in the Dome in the next couple of years. I doubt that's the case but we'll see.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Agree. The only thing that will change that is if in a few months it gets announced that LSU will be playing that game they owe us in the Dome in the next couple of years. I doubt that's the case but we'll see.
They contractually owe us the game. They won't be doing us a favor, they'll simply be fulfilling their end of the contract.

Now, if they booked us for a series of home and home or home and Dome games, I'd think it was worth it. If they required us to play them in the Dome for our home games, I'd have no problem with it. Even if they got 35,000 tickets.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I didn't say it was a favor. It would be just making them finally live up to their obligation. There hasn't been any type of movement on it. So it would be the thing that caused that movement and that would be a good thing.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Highwave
Low Tide

I see it a different way. TU loses more recruits to out of state schools than to LSU, which is why its no secret that CWF has wanted to pair up with LSU over an out-of-state P5. Attract the same level of recruits, serve as their host, and don't have to compete for the recruits at your own camp.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Highwave wrote:I see it a different way. TU loses more recruits to out of state schools than to LSU, which is why its no secret that CWF has wanted to pair up with LSU over an out-of-state P5. Attract the same level of recruits, serve as their host, and don't have to compete for the recruits at your own camp.
High, the recruits we would lose to Michigan are the type or recruits looking at LSWho not Tulane. I would much rather those recruits go to Michigan than LSWho. Since when did LSWho ever look out for our best interests besides shafting us on a home game that they still owe us. I would actually opine that LSWho has a better chance of poaching the kids that we actually might have a shot with like some qb who is now buried in LSWhos depth chart... happy Friday! Roll damn wave
Highwave
Low Tide

I probably would have forced LSU's hand on the game they owed us as part of the deal but that may not be something Dannen or Fritz wants at this time- maybe wait until we are in a better position to win.

Also, I disagree that the camp will increase the threat of poaching from LSU. LSU is the elephant in the living room of every local recruit that isn't simply looking to get the hell out of dodge. They are a constant and legitimate threat to us whether we camp with them or not.

On the other hand, UM is a threat by reputation but it's not as easy for them to poach the 3* talent without a physical presence in the state imho.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

As an update on why the Big 12 is still a conference worth Tulane and any other G5 to aspire to, it just distributed $34.5M to each of its members and that amount does not include third tier rights.

To really put this into perspective, there are three things to think about.

1. The linked article indicates that the University of Kansas made $6M from its third tier rights in 2014-2015, so, if we assume a reasonable $1M annual increase in those rights (so $8M this year), the Kansas made $42.5M from conference payouts plus third tier rights this past year.
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2016/feb/ ... c-revenue/

2. According to the linked articles, the SEC paid out an average $40.5M to each of its members this year. So, Kansas made more than the University of Alabama, which specifically made $39.1M according to the second article, in conference payouts plus third tier payouts even if Kansas doesn't have annual increases in its third tier rights (which would be unlikely).
http://www.frogsowar.com/2017/6/4/15732 ... ue-sharing
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /97400990/

3. Assuming that the Big 12 has about a ~$5M annual increase in conference payouts next year, that the Big 12 championship game is worth the projected $30M, and that Kansas does experience a ~$1M increase in its third tier rights per year, the University of Kansas should make in the neighborhood of ~$51.5M next year. Math on this [$42.5M (this year total payout) + $1M (third tier payout increase) + $3M (conference championship game) + $5M (conference payout increase) = $51.5M. This is obviously an educated guess, but it shouldn't be too far off.
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2017/jun/ ... m-revenue/

That's certainly something.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Problem is they now have no reason to expand. If the NCAA wanted more expansion they would have denied them the right to a championship game w/out having 12 teams.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:Problem is they now have no reason to expand. If the NCAA wanted more expansion they would have denied them the right to a championship game w/out having 12 teams.
Agreed. It will be interesting to see what their next contract looks like if they stay together.

What's also interesting is that it appears as though the Big 12 is the #1 conference for conference distribution plus third tier rights this year. Further, it appears as though the conference should compete for the #1 spot next year and even beyond. Who saw that coming?
nawlinspete
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:Problem is they now have no reason to expand. If the NCAA wanted more expansion they would have denied them the right to a championship game w/out having 12 teams.
Agreed. It will be interesting to see what their next contract looks like if they stay together.

What's also interesting is that it appears as though the Big 12 is the #1 conference for conference distribution plus third tier rights this year. Further, it appears as though the conference should compete for the #1 spot next year and even beyond. Who saw that coming?

"...Who saw that coming ?"

Tulane and every other school that petitioned the BIG XII for admission ! Duh.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

"...Who saw that coming ?"

Tulane and every other school that petitioned the BIG XII for admission ! Duh.
I don't think anyone predicted that they would be #1 overall. Top 3, yes, but #1? No one that I'm aware of.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulane is far from well positioned to be picked from 12-20 other candidates for P5 expansion. Our location may be our best asset, but so long as our big two sports are terrible, we're going NOWHERE.
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Tulane is far from well positioned to be picked from 12-20 other candidates for P5 expansion. Our location may be our best asset, but so long as our big two sports are terrible, we're going NOWHERE.
All here are aware of your disdain for Tulane. You need not continue regurgitating your dislike of Tulane.

What are YOU doing to make us better ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Media blocked from everyone except Tulane's WF.
Coach Orgeron, Odums, Rebowe weren't allowed to speak to media nor were any of the players out at the camp.

20 photos here:
http://photos.nola.com/4500/gallery/tul ... index.html
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wavemania
Surge

this is why it is STUPID for Tulane to have LSU host camps together Anyone remember Dule Riley? He had Tulane down as a finalist along with a few other schools. Right after a few LBs bolted on committing to LSU, they went and poched him right before signing dates. They will look at this camp and have a fall back on the next available athlete . All those 4 and 5 star recruits that come to Tulane's camp will not be going to Tulane anytime soon. I would rather see them go out of state than play for the dirtbags up river.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Media blocked from everyone except Tulane's WF.
Coach Orgeron, Odums, Rebowe weren't allowed to speak to media nor were any of the players out at the camp.

20 photos here:
I'm wondering if that's by NCAA rules. We were the host school so only our HC can speak on the camp possibly.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

keep'em in da boot or being held hostage by Coach O

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Media blocked from everyone except Tulane's WF.

20 photos here:
I'm wondering if that's by NCAA rules. We were the host school so only our HC can speak on the camp possibly.
Possible. Here are the rules for media:
Media may not be invited to attend, or provided special access to, camp/clinics and the prospective student-athletes in attendance (This includes recruiting or scouting services).
Media who are present at an institutional camp/clinic can only be located in areas open to the general public.
Media are not allowed on the playing field during, or at the conclusion of camp.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

We are not competing with LSU for players anymore. If LSU wants someone that we want they can offer them last minute and get them anytime they want to. See Lindsey Scott and Foster Moreau. We do best when LSU hits on all their recruits bc they don't have to dip into ours to fill the class. We don't play LSU and we aren't competing with LSU. This camp is mutually beneficial bc it keeps other schools out which helps them and gets a ton of kids in front of our coaches which helps us. I wish we were still competing with LSU, but I'm not in charge of the Athletic Dept or the University. There are no 2 and 3* kids in Louisiana that LSU doesn't know about that we are going to sneak past them if they need some late fillers. I think the last player we beat LSU on was Tristan Smith 15 or 16 years ago.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Ridiculous to host ANY event with those clowns. They screw us every chance they get. Go back on contracts, cancel games and bad mouth us at the drop of a hat. Imagine the conversation between them and a recruit. Of course they will trash our facilities to the kids that were there. Just think about that conversation and comparison.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

sader24 wrote:We are not competing with LSU for players anymore. If LSU wants someone that we want they can offer them last minute and get them anytime they want to. See Lindsey Scott and Foster Moreau. We do best when LSU hits on all their recruits bc they don't have to dip into ours to fill the class. We don't play LSU and we aren't competing with LSU. This camp is mutually beneficial bc it keeps other schools out which helps them and gets a ton of kids in front of our coaches which helps us. I wish we were still competing with LSU, but I'm not in charge of the Athletic Dept or the University. There are no 2 and 3* kids in Louisiana that LSU doesn't know about that we are going to sneak past them if they need some late fillers. I think the last player we beat LSU on was Tristan Smith 15 or 16 years ago.
I agree. Considering how TCU and Kansas are rolling in Louisiana commits, Fritz should have set up a camp and invited the entire Big 12. It's true that Tulane may not have benefitted from a camp of that nature as much as the Big 12, but the first step in getting Louisiana recruits to seriously consider Tulane is breaking up LSUs (loosening) monopoly on Louisiana talent.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
sader24 wrote:We are not competing with LSU for players anymore. If LSU wants someone that we want they can offer them last minute and get them anytime they want to. See Lindsey Scott and Foster Moreau. We do best when LSU hits on all their recruits bc they don't have to dip into ours to fill the class. We don't play LSU and we aren't competing with LSU. This camp is mutually beneficial bc it keeps other schools out which helps them and gets a ton of kids in front of our coaches which helps us. I wish we were still competing with LSU, but I'm not in charge of the Athletic Dept or the University. There are no 2 and 3* kids in Louisiana that LSU doesn't know about that we are going to sneak past them if they need some late fillers. I think the last player we beat LSU on was Tristan Smith 15 or 16 years ago.
I agree. Considering how TCU and Kansas are rolling in Louisiana commits, Fritz should have set up a camp and invited the entire Big 12. It's true that Tulane may not have benefitted from a camp of that nature as much as the Big 12, but the first step in getting Louisiana recruits to seriously consider Tulane is breaking up LSUs (loosening) monopoly on Louisiana talent.
No. We've been through this before. That would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. Like it or not, we are not in competion with LSU. We can do well in the AAC off of their crumbs. If you invite the Big 12 in one of two things will happen. Either the Big 12 will eat the crumbs or force LSU to eat the crumbs. Either way means no crumbs for us.
God Bless Everyone!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
No. We've been through this before. That would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. Like it or not, we are not in competion with LSU. We can do well in the AAC off of their crumbs. If you invite the Big 12 in one of two things will happen. Either the Big 12 will eat the crumbs or force LSU to eat the crumbs. Either way means no crumbs for us.
We can agree to disagree. The issue is that recruits in Louisiana (generally) go to LSU - it's reinforced at every stage of their lives, and that is what gives LSU its strength. The key is separating those players from LSU - Tulane isn't going to all of sudden start winning recruiting battles with LSU even if Fritz turns this around, so it's not like Tulane can separate those players from LSU on its own in the foreseeable future. It's going to take other P5 programs.

TCU has the #1 QB in Louisiana committed (which is why LSU is upset) and Kansas has 2 Louisiana 4*s, so the "crumbs" aspect of this may be a little overstated. None of those players would have seriously considered Tulane even if Kansas and TCU hadn't offered them. The same can likely be said about the 3* players from Louisiana that they each have committed. As for Tulane, it signed 2 Louisiana players in February in the worst recruiting class it has had in a decade, so it's not like it's rolling something other than crumbs - whether we look at this at the perspective of Louisiana recruiting or the perspective of recruiting in general.

If and when the time comes that LSU isn't the default answer for Louisiana recruits, Tulane can have a real shot at Foster Moreau, Russell Gage, and Lindsay Scott types of players - above average but not necessarily great and expect to have a real chance of signing them over a last second offer from LSU.