Tulane loses the ECU Series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:
Bearwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:Our coach is not good
He's actually doing pretty well in Starkville! :cry:

This has actually caused me to hate Dannen
There is no Tulane coach in Starkville. Our coach was in Greenville, NC today. Just as Trump is EVERYONE'S President that is a US citizen, Jewett is the coach of Tulane baseball, like it or not. Deal with it.

I could care less what MSU does, regardless of who their coach is. I cannot get excited enough about college baseball, which is about 9th in the list of sports I follow to worry about a team I really don't give a rats ass about. And I'm pretty sure that their coach has friends or siblings posting here. If you cannot deal with Jewett, cry me a river. If you hate Dannen as a result, so be it. Whop Dee F'ing Doo.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Bearwave wrote:

There is no Tulane coach in Starkville. Our coach was in Greenville, NC today. Just as Trump is EVERYONE'S President that is a US citizen, Jewett is the coach of Tulane baseball, like it or not. Deal with it.

I could care less what MSU does, regardless of who their coach is. I cannot get excited enough about college baseball, which is about 9th in the list of sports I follow to worry about a team I really don't give a rats ass about. And I'm pretty sure that their coach has friends or siblings posting here. If you cannot deal with Jewett, cry me a river. If you hate Dannen as a result, so be it. Whop Dee F'ing Doo.
What's the point of this post? Are we not allowed to complain about our coaches or AD without you complaining about us complaining? If you don't care about baseball, then good for you. Some of us do. And when the coach and AD fuck the baseball program over, I'll complain about it every time.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Bearwave wrote:

What's the point of this post? Are we not allowed to complain about our coaches or AD without you complaining about us complaining? If you don't care about baseball, then good for you. Some of us do. And when the coach and AD f**k the baseball program over, I'll complain about it every time.
You can bitch and moan all you want. When it gets old, as it has weeks ago, some of us are going to complain about your bitching and moaning. Unlike a good red wine, the whine coming from the Cannizaro/Riser krewe doesn't improve with age. It just gets old.
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:It's getting old, and unlike red wine, the whine coming out of the Cannizaro/Riser krewe doesn't age well. Let me ask: What's the point of YOUR post? To bring a smile to my face as I laugh at the "Charlie Brown teacher" noises that I hear when I read them?

I do follow baseball (obviously) just don't follow other teams, teams that don't play Tulane and are not in our conference. Frankly, I stop watching ANY college baseball as soon as our season ends. And, like 99% of sports fans, cannot tell you who won the CWS last year. Nor do I care.

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. The 7 or 8 other people that care enough about college baseball to read this will probably side with you. Including the above mentioned friends and family of the MSU coach.
Be mad at Dannen for the whining. If he makes a good hire, then we wouldn't have to complain.
The point of my post was to express displeasure with the coach. He does not do a good job with in game management and it's costing us games.
Someone else brought up AC, not me. But Jewett will always be compared to Cannizaro by some of our fans.
The fact that Dannen fucked up the hire is very relevant and will be talked about. You should probably get used to it.
Show Me
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:
Bearwave wrote:

Same here. His ego got in the way of hiring a no brainer Tulane alumnus. Dannen knows Zero about baseball. Jewett has been a lifetime assistant (18 years) how come nobody else hired him before as a HC? He's our CJ or Chris Scelfo. Still can't manage pitchers. Our only hope is that Jewett can bring in some top 20 recruiting classes. If he can't he'll fail here.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Didn't we go through this a week ago? Do some of you root for Tulane to lose so that you can get the broken record out once again?
Wavetime
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Bearwave wrote:

Hey,

Don't compare Trump with Jewitt. At least the people voted for Trump. If the fans would have voted for our coach, we would be ranked right now with Andy at the helm.

I get what you are saying, but our AD screwed this one up. Don't know why, but we had 2 decades of success staring us in the face and he flushed it down the toilet. Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer in TD, but he screwed the pooch with this one......

Our coach may not be in Starkville, but we all know what could have been is up there....

I'm pulling for Jewitt and will continue to support this team forever....but TD screwed this one up....
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Didn't we go through this a week ago? Do some of you root for Tulane to lose so that you can get the broken record out once again?

No. I root for Tulane to win but we don't do too much of that.

Why are you so upset about people complaining about the coach? I saw way more complaints about CJ and Conroy but I don't recall seeing you tell everyone that it was getting old.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Didn't we go through this a week ago? Do some of you root for Tulane to lose so that you can get the broken record out once again?

Why are you so upset about people complaining about the coach? I saw way more complaints about CJ and Conroy but I don't recall seeing you tell everyone that it was getting old.
Not to really jump into this debate, but at least CJ and Conroy had multiple seasons to show that they were not the answer. Jewett hasn't even finished his first season yet, so it seems a little extreme for fans to call for him to be fired before he has had an opportunity to show whether or not he can be the answer. While it's certainly true that this season has been pretty bad overall, the result is not too surprising given that there is always a risk that a new coach won't be able to instantly build on what the prior coach was doing.
Show Me
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Not to really jump into this debate, but at least CJ and Conroy had multiple seasons to show that they were not the answer. Jewett hasn't even finished his first season yet, so it seems a little extreme for fans to call for him to be fired before he has had an opportunity to show whether or not he can be the answer. While it's certainly true that this season has been pretty bad overall, the result is not too surprising given that there is always a risk that a new coach won't be able to instantly build on what the prior coach was doing.
Yep. He's needs time to change the winning culture we've had in baseball. :?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Show Me wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Not to really jump into this debate, but at least CJ and Conroy had multiple seasons to show that they were not the answer. Jewett hasn't even finished his first season yet, so it seems a little extreme for fans to call for him to be fired before he has had an opportunity to show whether or not he can be the answer. While it's certainly true that this season has been pretty bad overall, the result is not too surprising given that there is always a risk that a new coach won't be able to instantly build on what the prior coach was doing.
Well, as mentioned above, changing of a head coach in a sport is always risky and it brings uncertainty. It's always possible to that the new coach could build on what the prior coach was doing, but it's also possible that the new coach will struggle in the beginning for one reason or another - no matter how good the program was or wasn't before the coach was hired. Jewett's struggled a lot in his first year, but, that being said, Riser's and Cannizaro's success at other programs doesn't prove that they would have been more successful in year one.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Who said he should be fired? I said he was a bad coach.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Not to really jump into this debate, but at least CJ and Conroy had multiple seasons to show that they were not the answer. Jewett hasn't even finished his first season yet, so it seems a little extreme for fans to call for him to be fired before he has had an opportunity to show whether or not he can be the answer. While it's certainly true that this season has been pretty bad overall, the result is not too surprising given that there is always a risk that a new coach won't be able to instantly build on what the prior coach was doing.
Well, as mentioned above, changing of a head coach in a sport is always risky and it brings uncertainty. It's always possible to that the new coach could build on what the prior coach was doing, but it's also possible that the new coach will struggle in the beginning for one reason or another - no matter how good the program was or wasn't before the coach was hired. Jewett's struggled a lot in his first year, but, that being said, Riser's and Cannizaro's success at other programs doesn't prove that they would have been more successful in year one.
That's a bit over-simplified. Baseball is not like other sports, you are not installing a new scheme as it's an individual sport. A senior laden team coming off two regionals with three legit weekend starters, should have been better, end of story.

My issues has as much to do to with the record as his pre-season management decisions, in game management and cheap interview quotes/1980's coach speak/middle school repetitive garbage. I legit just think the guy isn't a very bright baseball mind or bright mind in general. I don't know who called for his firing in year one but his recruitment skills better take care of his other issues or perhaps he may need to make staff changes. Assistants in college baseball are huge.

I hope things will improve but next year's roster is going to need a huge amount of JUCOs and/or 5th year transfers as we are losing a ton. Personally, he is just not my kind of coach. TU baseball is full of really bright kids, many of which are paying significant $ to play and get a quality education, there is not need to micro manage. Everybody wearing high socks does nothing, taking away reclining chairs does nothing, let a senior laden two time regional group play.

I do agree with D that at some point the AC talk has to be put to bed, for all we now AC refused the job and waited things out for a job with no barriers.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:...
for all we now AC refused the job and waited things out for a job with no barriers.
Just to let you know AC was not offered. His brother's tweet made that quite clear.
I agree though about the Andy talk. Pretty sure he's not ever coming back here that shipped sailed.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
That's a bit over-simplified. Baseball is not like other sports, you are not installing a new scheme as it's an individual sport. A senior laden team coming off two regionals with three legit weekend starters, should have been better, end of story.

My issues has as much to do to with the record as his pre-season management decisions, in game management and cheap interview quotes/1980's coach speak/middle school repetitive garbage. I legit just think the guy isn't a very bright baseball mind or bright mind in general. I don't know who called for his firing in year one but his recruitment skills better take care of his other issues or perhaps he may need to make staff changes. Assistants in college baseball are huge.

I hope things will improve but next year's roster is going to need a huge amount of JUCOs and/or 5th year transfers as we are losing a ton. Personally, he is just not my kind of coach. TU baseball is full of really bright kids, many of which are paying significant $ to play and get a quality education, there is not need to micro manage. Everybody wearing high socks does nothing, taking away reclining chairs does nothing, let a senior laden two time regional group play.

I do agree with D that at some point the AC talk has to be put to bed, for all we now AC refused the job and waited things out for a job with no barriers.
We are in agreement with the opinion that he's just not very bright.
I think the hitting coach is fine. Pitching coach is where a change needs to be made.
It seems that we will be going heavy on JUCO guys for next year in hopes to win right away. If it doesn't payoff Jewett's seat should be very hot.

The AC talk probably won't be put to bed as long as he's doing well and we aren't. Safe assumption that Cannizzaro didn't turn us down. I doubt his brother tweets our AD telling him he picked the wrong guy if so.
sader24
Tsunami

I'll continue to complain as long as we suck or until I completely stop caring. When u pass up a once in a lifetime young coach who played here and was a national commodity for another guy you had better make f'n sure you get it right and you win and win soon, especially when the other guy now has a rebuilding team in Starkville ranked in the top 10 in year one and the hired coach has a tourney team floundering. As long as we do stupid sh*t and lose bc of it I'll complain. If you don't like it, close your eyes and plug ur ears.
Profoundwizard
Swell

sader24 wrote:I'll continue to complain as long as we suck or until I completely stop caring. When u pass up a once in a lifetime young coach who played here and was a national commodity for another guy you had better make f'n sure you get it right and you win and win soon, especially when the other guy now has a rebuilding team in Starkville ranked in the top 10 in year one and the hired coach has a tourney team floundering. As long as we do stupid sh*t and lose bc of it I'll complain. If you don't like it, close your eyes and plug ur ears.
Good post
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:I'll continue to complain as long as we suck or until I completely stop caring. When u pass up a once in a lifetime young coach who played here and was a national commodity for another guy you had better make f'n sure you get it right and you win and win soon, especially when the other guy now has a rebuilding team in Starkville ranked in the top 10 in year one and the hired coach has a tourney team floundering. As long as we do stupid sh*t and lose bc of it I'll complain. If you don't like it, close your eyes and plug ur ears.
No doubt.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
for all we now AC refused the job and waited things out for a job with no barriers.
Just to let you know AC was not offered. His brother's tweet made that quite clear.
I agree though about the Andy talk. Pretty sure he's not ever coming back here that shipped sailed.
Perhaps they did not meet his demands?

I just feel like we all get it, not hiring AC looks real bad. I just am not sure the point of repeating this fact over and over again.

The one thing that could lure him back.....getting out of Starkville, that place sucks and is not a place you would want to raise your kids.
Pepper
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Perhaps they did not meet his demands?

I just feel like we all get it, not hiring AC looks real bad. I just am not sure the point of repeating this fact over and over again.

The one thing that could lure him back.....getting out of Starkville, that place sucks and is not a place you would want to raise your kids.
If AC leaves MSU, it would be for LSU.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Yet isn't our first year coach something along the lines of 19-11 in the last 30 games? Yes, the team got off to a horrible start, probably one that keeps them out of post season play. But part of it is his fault, part of it due to a significant change in coaching styles, and part of the blame has to fall on the players. It's really tough to keep hearing "with three experienced weekend starters returning" over and over and over again when one of the three has been a shadow of himself (putting it kindly) all year and the other two for the most part didn't pitch anywhere near their abilities for the first three or four weeks of the season. Did Tulane sweep LSU? Did we not have the most wins against top 50 competition in D1 just a week or so ago? Is the team in contention for the AAC title? Could he have lost the team (but clearly did not) before it got out of February? I don't expect Canizzaro fans to be fair or objective but sometimes I wonder which camp is truly putting their heads in the sand: the ones that complain every time we don't win or the ones that think Jewett might turn out to be a pretty good coach.

Oh, my coach didn't get hired so anytime something negative happens with this team, I'll point out how stupid we were for not hiring my coach.
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Yet isn't our first year coach something along the lines of 19-11 in the last 30 games? Yes, the team got off to a horrible start, probably one that keeps them out of post season play. But part of it is his fault, part of it due to a significant change in coaching styles, and part of the blame has to fall on the players. It's really tough to keep hearing "with three experienced weekend starters returning" over and over and over again when one of the three has been a shadow of himself (putting it kindly) all year and the other two for the most part didn't pitch anywhere near their abilities for the first three or four weeks of the season. Did Tulane sweep LSU? Did we not have the most wins against top 50 competition in D1 just a week or so ago? Is the team in contention for the AAC title? Could he have lost the team (but clearly did not) before it got out of February? I don't expect Canizzaro fans to be fair or objective but sometimes I wonder which camp is truly putting their heads in the sand: the ones that complain every time we don't win or the ones that think Jewett might turn out to be a pretty good coach.

Oh, my coach didn't get hired so anytime something negative happens with this team, I'll point out how stupid we were for not hiring my coach.
The poor start is almost all about not scrimmaging enough. That's on the coach.
The last 30 games have been fine, but when you start out with one of the worst starts in school history we don't shower you with praise for having a good 30 game stretch. 19-11 over a 30 game stretch is about the standard for this team. We don't give you a cookie for doing what you're supposed to do.
He may turn out to be a pretty good coach. When that happens I'll readily admit it. Right now, he isn't.
sader24
Tsunami

He may turn out to be a pretty good coach, Cannizaro may turn out to be the best coach in the country. So if that happens we remain completely incompetent considering we had the best coach and recruiter in the country knocking on our door for the job. Besides that, do you realize the energy, ticket sales, money, support, etc he would have brought back into this program?? A top 15 Tulane team with Cannizaro at the helm would have drawn more fans, support, and media attention than anyone else possible here including Rick Jones. There was a time in the not too distant past that I had 4 Tulane Baseball Tickets, 2 Tulane Basketball Tickets, and 6 Tulane Football Tickets, and used them all very consistently. I'm down to 2 Tulane Football tickets and I'm on the fence on renewing this year after bringing people to a game last year where the food was either cold or unavailable, the concession workers were incompetent and rude, the stadium employees were flat out a##holes, and just about everything was terrible enough to the point where both guys I brought told me they would never come back to another game there. If it's not one thing it's something else with this Athletic Department, and until they win in something, anything, all I have left for any sort of enjoyment in relation to Tulane Athletics is to sit on this website and bitch and moan about every dumb ass thing they do until I'm blue in the face. I'll gladly shut up if they ever win, as I don't believe I complained once about the baseball program while Pierce was here. Personally, I hope they make a run or win the conference tourney and get into a Regional. I'll shut up if they do that. If they don't and Mississippi St. is in Omaha you may not want to visit this site for awhile because I will bitch and moan more than I ever have before, and that's saying something.
Wavetime
Swell

This whole coaching debacle reminds me of Louisiana Tech and Kim Mulkey. Where is La Tech and where is Baylor? Now I'm not saying that we will become irrelevant in Baseball, but we made a mistake.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other- ... r-bad-side