Spring Game Results for QBs on Tulane's 2017 Football Schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Below is the stats for either the named starter at QB, or, if there is not named starter, the best performance by a QB at the spring game for each team on Tulane's 2017 fb schedule ignoring unique - military - or obvious starter situations (passing stats only):

Grambling 38 completions - 47 attempts - 502 yds - 3 TDs - 0 INT - DeVante Kincade (Ole Miss transfer)
@Navy NA - Military Academy
@Oklahoma NA - Baker Mayfield (Texas Tech transfer)
Army NA - Military Academy
Tulsa 16 completions - 24 attempts - 173 yds - 2 TDs - 0 INT - Luke Skipper
@FIU 14 completions - 21 attempts - 202 yds - 0 TDs - 0 INT - Alex McGough
USF NA - Quinton Flowers
@Memphis NA - Riley Ferguson (Tennessee transfer)
Cincinnati 15 completions - 30 attempts - 186 yds - 0 TDs - 0 INT - Ross Trail
@ECU 21 completions - 36 attempts - 265 yds - 2 TDs - 1 INT - Gardner Minshew (Northwest MS CC transfer)
Houston 12 completions - 18 attempts - 62 yds - 0 TDs - 2 INT - Kyle Allen (Texas A&M transfer)
@SMU 16 completions - 18 attempts - 173 yds - 2 TDs - 0 INT - Rafe Peavey (Arkansas transfer)

Tulane 5 completions - 11 attempts - 65 yards - 0 TDs - 0 INT - Jonathan Banks (Kansas State transfer)

EDIT: To add transfer status - note that players that transferred from a FBS program to a CC and then again from the CC to the current FBS program are marked as transfers from only their original FBS program. It's actually surprising how few of these QBs began their careers at the schools that they play for.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Oh NO !!!!....WE SUCK AGAIN !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Well, if Banks' performance was x3, it would be 15 completions - 33 attempts - 195 yds. Of course, that ignores his 2 fumbles (1 returned for TD), so that would move the fumbles up to 6 with 3 of them being returned for TDs.

Of course, these numbers are not necessarily apples to apples in the sense that some QBs played actual games, some only played series, some only played situational downs, and some QBs didn't play with their best players (some players were injured/held out/on the opposing team). Also, some teams may not have allowed tackling.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Well, if Banks' performance was x3, it would be 15 completions - 33 attempts - 195 yds. Of course, that ignores his 2 fumbles (1 returned for TD), so that would move the fumbles up to 6 with 3 of them being returned for TDs.

Of course, these numbers are not necessarily apples to apples in the sense that some QBs played actual games, some only played series, some only played situational downs, and some QBs didn't play with their best players (some players were injured/held out/on the opposing team). Also, some teams may not have allowed tackling.
I am having my legal team of Dowee -Reely - Cheetum & Howe, read your post, so they may learn to confuse people by interjecting fact
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Well, if Banks' performance was x3, it would be 15 completions - 33 attempts - 195 yds. Of course, that ignores his 2 fumbles (1 returned for TD), so that would move the fumbles up to 6 with 3 of them being returned for TDs.

I am having my legal team of Dowee -Reely - Cheetum & Howe, read your post, so they may learn to confuse people by interjecting fact
Once again this upcoming season will depend on how well our O-line progresses. Are our qbs going to be running for dear life or are they actually going to have some time to make decisions? If they are going to be running for their dear lives, Banks would probably be the best answer back there since he's already use to it from his JUCO days... Did anyone see Diaz out there taking reps or is he still rehabbing?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Since this is a Tulane forum, the other Tulane QBs stats from the spring game:
3 completions - 5 attempts - 35 yds - 0 TDs - 1 INT - Johnathan Brantley
4 completions - 13 attempts - 62 yds - 0 TDs - 0 INT - Glen Cuiellette
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Since this is a Tulane forum, the other Tulane QBs stats from the spring game:
3 completions - 5 attempts - 35 yds - 0 TDs - 1 INT - Johnathan Brantley
4 completions - 13 attempts - 62 yds - 0 TDs - 0 INT - Glen Cuiellette
I am having my PC / socially correct advisement team of Remington -Smith - Wesson - & Glock put you on "retainer"
anEngineer
Riptide

For all of those who have already given up on Coach Fritz and the upcoming season, maybe you would be happier if Tulane gave up football completely. Think about how much less anxiety you would have. If not that, maybe we can just forfeit all of the 2017 games now and just keep forfeiting year after year until we all agree that the Spring game was successful. Only then can we all enter the season willing to watch the players and coaches actually work to get better and win real games.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Once again this upcoming season will depend on how well our O-line progresses. Are our qbs going to be running for dear life or are they actually going to have some time to make decisions? If they are going to be running for their dear lives, Banks would probably be the best answer back there since he's already use to it from his JUCO days... Did anyone see Diaz out there taking reps or is he still rehabbing?
Agree about Banks. Diaz has been back since after spring break so he participated in the last two weeks of practices.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

In regards to "spring games' the Coach allows people to see what they want to be seen...I give little, to no, cred to these open "work outs'....Spring Game stats are worthless ...Hell, some guy's look like the next Marino, Fouts, simply because the D coach told his secondary not to pressure any receivers....... I do have concerns regarding Grambling, I think Tulane will be in a long, all game battle with them and I give the G-Men an edge in overall speed
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote:For all of those who have already given up on Coach Fritz and the upcoming season, maybe you would be happier if Tulane gave up football completely. Think about how much less anxiety you would have. If not that, maybe we can just forfeit all of the 2017 games now and just keep forfeiting year after year until we all agree that the Spring game was successful. Only then can we all enter the season willing to watch the players and coaches actually work to get better and win real games.
Amen!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jaxwave
Swell

Look, just because somebody analyzes the team and in their opinion doesn't measure up doesn't mean they want to terminate the program. However I have espoused for years dropping the football program if the administration won't commit fully in the form of resources necessary to compete.
Wave QB
Swell

That Kincade kid from Grambling is a transfer from Ole Miss, and he is a beast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ym8PJPq6mc
GreenLantern
Riptide

It just wouldn't be a complete thread without mentioning Tanner Lee's spring game stats:
All three scholarship QB’s got some action, and the most was Tristan Gebbia. The early enrollee freshman from Calibraska. He played the entire game, mostly with the White squad but some with the Red. Gebbia did have some really good throws through the entire workout. Granted, he’s still a true freshman, and this is all you’ll probably see of him till next spring, but it was a pretty good 24 of 39 for 283 yards, with 1 passing TD, 1 interception & 1 rushing TD.

However, most folks were paying attention to the Tanner Lee vs. Patrick O’Brien race. You can tell the raw talent of O’Brien and some of his throws were very idea. He finished the game 6 of 10 for 76 yards.

Tanner Lee had most of the throws in the game for the Red, however, and you saw why. I wouldn’t say that Lee is the next coming of a Heisman winner, but he showed some very good tosses, highlighted by the TD pass to J.D. Spielman above. Lee finished the game 13-19 for 190 yards for 3 TD’s on Saturday.
From cornnation.com
GreenGears
Low Tide

golfnut69 wrote:Oh NO !!!!....WE SUCK AGAIN !!!!
Until we lose a game, I'm still riding that win over UCONN.
Jaxwave
Swell

What baffles me is how few throws there were in the game. I'd have let Banks play 60 plays and throw it 40 of them. When September comes and the passing game isn't working well Coach might wish they had thrown the ball a little more in the spring.
lurker123
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:What baffles me is how few throws there were in the game. I'd have let Banks play 60 plays and throw it 40 of them. When September comes and the passing game isn't working well Coach might wish they had thrown the ball a little more in the spring.
I'm channeling Guerry Smith here but how can you call it a "game" when there is no tackling? Banks had it right. This was Spring Practice 15.
Eaglewave
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:What baffles me is how few throws there were in the game. I'd have let Banks play 60 plays and throw it 40 of them. When September comes and the passing game isn't working well Coach might wish they had thrown the ball a little more in the spring.
Agreed. Do say our passing game struggled last season, I would have let all of the QB's sling it.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote:For all of those who have already given up on Coach Fritz and the upcoming season, maybe you would be happier if Tulane gave up football completely. Think about how much less anxiety you would have. If not that, maybe we can just forfeit all of the 2017 games now and just keep forfeiting year after year until we all agree that the Spring game was successful. Only then can we all enter the season willing to watch the players and coaches actually work to get better and win real games.

No one said anything close to that. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I have given out accurate practice reports for years now. When I started there were several others. They always said how great the team looked and how individual players looked like All-Americans. People bought it for years. Then they had enough and finally called them out and they stopped giving them. I simply reported what I saw. Every reporter who covered the scrimmage and every fan who has posted on it said the same thing about the O-Line. We all agree if you don't have line play you don't have shit. Yes there were some circumstances that weren't in their favor but nothing justifies that horrid performance. NOTHING. If you can't handle the reality of that that's on you and no one else.

There is no bigger die hard Tulane fan than I.I believe in Fritz and his staff and have been supportive since day one. I also said and have always said that there is time in the summer and in camp to get better. I have also noted that rule changes a few years ago now allow some interaction between players and the coaches in the summer. However they don't have much to work with there and that's not going to change between now and the fall. Thus I and others on other sites, some of which are former players, have suggested a change in scheme. We don't seem to have the players to execute the option part of this offense. We already run a spread option so the suggestion is to just stress that aspect of it. Fritz said all camp that Banks throws well on the run. He did that Saturday. So we are just saying to play to his strengths. Fritz says he adjust to the talents of his players. It's time for him to show that to be true. Any time we used designed roll outs last year we hit for big plays. Banks is very capable of doing that. Fritz is going to need to get out of his comfort zone and use the pass to set up the run. We have the talent to do that and hopefully he does it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote:

No one said anything close to that. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I have given out accurate practice reports for years now. When I started there were several others. They always said how great the team looked and how individual players looked like All-Americans. People bought it for years. Then they had enough and finally called them out and they stopped giving them. I simply reported what I saw. Every reporter who covered the scrimmage and every fan who has posted on it said the same thing about the O-Line. We all agree if you don't have line play you don't have sh*t. Yes there were some circumstances that weren't in their favor but nothing justifies that horrid performance. NOTHING. If you can't handle the reality of that that's on you and no one else.

There is no bigger die hard Tulane fan than I.I believe in Fritz and his staff and have been supportive since day one. I also said and have always said that there is time in the summer and in camp to get better. I have also noted that rule changes a few years ago now allow some interaction between players and the coaches in the summer. However they don't have much to work with there and that's not going to change between now and the fall. Thus I and others on other sites, some of which are former players, have suggested a change in scheme. We don't seem to have the players to execute the option part of this offense. We already run a spread option so the suggestion is to just stress that aspect of it. Fritz said all camp that Banks throws well on the run. He did that Saturday. So we are just saying to play to his strengths. Fritz says he adjust to the talents of his players. It's time for him to show that to be true. Any time we used designed roll outs last year we hit for big plays. Banks is very capable of doing that. Fritz is going to need to get out of his comfort zone and use the pass to set up the run. We have the talent to do that and hopefully he does it.
WW, thanks for the spring ball report, I really appreciate it especially since I decided to skip the spring game to play 9 at the new golf course at City Park. Another question I have for you is that did you see any consistency from the O-line or improvements such as conditioning? What position on the O-line do you think is the weakest right now? (I was really hoping Leglue would have much improvement and it's disconcerting to read that he's still whiffing on assignments). Lastly, any word on Perry Nickerson? It would be really nice to have Agent P healthy by the start of the season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You're welcome. The line looked bad all the way across. Tackles on both sides got whipped easily. Guards kept going offsides. The rush got through the middle too. So pretty much a complete fail in the passing game. Some of the running plays produced some yardage so there is that. As for Nickerson he continues to battle his knee condition. He's got a good while to recover now and hopefully he does.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Just saw on twitter that Nickerson had knee surgery but is expected back for the fall.