Spring Game Report

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was a warm day but there was a strong southerly breeze. There were referees.

I"ll start with the good news. I got there early. The Kickers were using their own ball holder devices to kick from so no snapping involved and no pressure. Neenan looks much better. His leg extension is noticeably improved. On his shorter kicks he was usually making them and putting them ove the net. He then went to 44 yards out from the right hash and hit it. He then kicked from 52 from the left hash and hit it w/room to spare. Next he went from 56 and made it easily from the right hash. He then set it down from 62 yards out on the right has h and made it with at least 5 yards to spare. Harvey Made kicks from 41 and then 45 yards out.

Injury report- These are the players I saw who were not dressed out: Robert Kennedy had a huge brace on his right knee. Webb was on crutches. Daren Wllliams had a boot on his right foot.The others were Tre Jackson, Chris Johnson, John Washington, Hicks, Strickland and Sam Davis. I didn't see Nickerson with that group but I didn't see him on the field either.

They did a FG drill. Neenan was good from the left hash on a 27 yarder. He then made a 27 yarder from the middle of the field. He missed from 32 on the right hash. It was off to the left. Harvey came on and barely made a 30 yarder from the left hash. He then made a 35 yarder from the middle the field.

Punting was next. Block kicked a 35 yarder and Badie fielded it. He later kicked on 56 yards with good hang time with Hilliard as the return man. He was kicking into the south wind. They had a WO, Carrasesquos punting too.

The scrimmage started with one's v. one's. On offense it was Banks at QB. The line was Mccleod at LT, Brown at LG, Diaz at center, Briggs at RG and Leglue at RT. The D-Line was Aruna Wilson, Eldrick Washington and Woullard. Harris and Marbley were at LB. Lofton and Donnie Lewis were at DB. Teamer and Shenall were the safeties with Franklin at the nickel.

Let me preface the scrimmage report by saying that most of it was situational. So it might have been first and ten and we gained 12 but the next play would be 2nd and 7.

On first down from the north 27 Hilliard ran for 6 to the right. On 2nd down Woullard would have sacked Banks but Briggs was offsides. He then threw to Ardoin who initially caught it but was then crushed by Teamer and dropped it.

On first from the north 39 Banks couldn't decide between running and pitching and eventually pitched it to no one and the defense scooped and scored. They ran 2nd down from the 42 . Banks threw deep to Robertson but Lofton tripped him however there was no call. On 3rd down Briggs was offsides again. On the next play Banks was sacked by Larry Bryant who got past Leglue w/no resistance.

The two's came in w/Brantley at QB. His line was Mccleod at LT, Briggs at LG, Diaz, Knighton at RG and Leglue at RT. The d-line were 3 down lineman- Woullard, Edwards at the nose and De'Andre Williams. They started from the 43. Badie ran for 2 to the left side. He threw deep to Feneroy( a walk on) in the end zone and he dropped it. He hit Bradwell over the middle for 10.

Cuillette came in. He threw to Clewis in the end zone but he dropped it. He then threw to Huderson who dropped it on the left side. He hit Owens for a TD on the left side.

The one's then went from the 10 in some red zone action. Huderson ran for 3 up the middle. Banks kept for 2. Hilliard scored from the right side. They ran another play from the 5 and he hit Ardoin in the back of the end zone.

They then starte at the south 2 going north. Banks kept for 2. He was then sacked for a safety.

The 2's came back w/Brantley. They started at the south 13 going north. He threw incomplete but Will Harper was called for interference. Carroll then sacked him . a run up the middle gained nothing. They then went with first down at the 24. Cuillette was at QB. Huderson went up the middle for 8. He hit Robertson for 10. Cuillette ran the option and didn't pitch and gained nothing.

The one's came back and started at the north 34 going south. Banks had to scramble and hit Glenn for 25. On 2nd and 8 Dauphine gained nothing. On third and 3 Dauphine got 2.

On 1st from the 45 Banks ran for 10.On 2nd and 5 he hit Owens but Donnie Lewis knocked it loose.

We then did kick-offs. Block kicked it to the 2 and Badie returned it to the 35. Harvey kicked it to the 2 and Huderson ran it back to the 20. Block then kicked it out of the end zone. Harvey then kicked one to the 12 and Eric Lewis fielded it and returned it about 5 yards.

The one's came back. On first and 10 from the north 30 going south Banks was pressured and had to throw it away. He was then sacked by Aruna. On the next play he was pressured and shoveled it to Hilliard for 7. On 4th and 3 he was pressured, slipped and shoveled it to Hilliard for 4.

They then had 1st down at the north 47. Banks was pressured and threw it in the flat to Hilliard who dropped it. Under pressure on the next play he threw to Badie for 5 in the flat. Aruna went down. He eventually walked off with what appeared to be an injured left arm. On third and 5 he scrambled forever and eventually hit Robertson for 30 yars. The crowd went wild. However he would hab=ve been sacked twice before the throw if he was live. He then scrambled for 10. On first and ten from the 20 Banks over threw Feneroy. On the next play he was under pressure and scrambled and overthrew one in the end zone.

Brantley came in with the two's. They started at the south 30 going north. Bradwell went up the middle for 7. He hit Jones on the sideline for 3. On first down he scrambled for 7 but Mccleod was offsides. He was then intercepted by Will Harper at the 45. On 1st and 10 from the 46 Bradwell got 7 up the middle. Woullard blocked the pass on the next play. Under pressure he overthrew Mooney 20 yards downfield. On 4th and 3 he rolled right and hit Jones for 10. On the next play he had to scramble right and he hit Jones on the sideline who made a great catch at the 5. On 1st and goal Cuillette threw incomplete to Clewis. The next play was an incompletion to Ardoin in the end zone. He then threw incomplete again to Ardoin in the end zone. Ardoin then dropped one at the 3.

The action began at 10 and ended at 11:23.

The defense looked good.However they are going against our offense which is a complete disaster. We continue to have major issues on the line and at QB. The line is just awful. They were constantly beat and committed way too many penalties. The QB's don't look good but behind that line I hate to be too hard on them. None of them look to have the ability to run the offense WF insist on running. In an interview earlier this week WF was asked about bringing in Banks who had no experience running this offense. Fritz insisted he had in fact run elements of it or we wouldn't have brought him in. Then in an interview w/Banks later Banks said he had never run this offense before but he was learning. To be blunt I am very disappointed and I don't see any of these guys being successful in this offense. We have the summer and fall but I just don't see it. If he wants to save his career we should be running a no huddle spread option and be getting the ball out of the QB"s hands quickly. But we know he is dead set on forcing this offense on the team and it is not promising.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I didn't make it out there today so thanks for the fine detailed report. Sadly I heard about the same stuff from others. It looks like the QB and OL play once again is going to hold us down if those areas don't improve.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

Thanks for the report, ww!
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You guys are welcome. I wish I had better news to report on the offense. It may have come across strong on that aspect but it really was that bad and then it just a matter of accumulation . We are all sick of seeing anemic offense. Something needs to be done. The good news is the D does look good . I should have noted too that we played a lot of 3-4. Guerry had written about that on our Rivals site. Fritz said he was doing it b/c we had trouble against that defense last year and that we face it a good bit. He said he's a 4-3 guy and expects to stay with that. However we are thin on the line so maybe we will play it some this year.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:You guys are welcome. I wish I had better news to report on the offense. It may have come across strong on that aspect but it really was that bad and then it just a matter of accumulation . We are all sick of seeing anemic offense. Something needs to be done. The good news is the D does look good . I should have noted too that we played a lot of 3-4. Guerry had written about that on our Rivals site. Fritz said he was doing it b/c we had trouble against that defense last year and that we face it a good bit. He said he's a 4-3 guy and expects to stay with that. However we are thin on the line so maybe we will play it some this year.
You obviously went to a lot of trouble to observe and transcribe in detail. Thanks from those of us who could not attend. I don't have an issue with your observations. Obviously I hope you're wrong but it is what it is. Let's see what Banks does over the next five months to prepare but I expect that he will need live action to make true progress.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You're welcome. Trust me I hope they vastly improve in the time left. While I have my concerns about Banks it is the O-Line I am much more concerned with.
Wave QB
Swell

Was there. I approve Winwave's message.

OMG. When are we going to have a "solid" offensive line. I sure hope to see improvement in the fall. Grambling scares me.
chain gang x man
Swell

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:You guys are welcome. I wish I had better news to report on the offense. It may have come across strong on that aspect but it really was that bad and then it just a matter of accumulation . We are all sick of seeing anemic offense. Something needs to be done. The good news is the D does look good . I should have noted too that we played a lot of 3-4. Guerry had written about that on our Rivals site. Fritz said he was doing it b/c we had trouble against that defense last year and that we face it a good bit. He said he's a 4-3 guy and expects to stay with that. However we are thin on the line so maybe we will play it some this year.
You obviously went to a lot of trouble to observe and transcribe in detail. Thanks from those of us who could not attend. I don't have an issue with your observations. Obviously I hope you're wrong but it is what it is. Let's see what Banks does over the next five months to prepare but I expect that he will need live action to make true progress.
I was at the scrimmage and concur with ww
OL is awful. Banks can extend plays with his legs but he will be running for his life all season. Knighton the grad transfer was called twice for false start
Nickerson was not dressed out and P J Hall wore red jersey
One of the running backs is 5'5"
The defense lacks depth there were maybe 20 guys dressed on defense
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Troubling only one offensive TD.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Winwave, I 100% agree about a no huddle spread being preferable. It makes me wonder how things would look if Tulane had hired Dino Barbers or someone else who runs a similar offense instead of Fritz.
greenphantom
Swell

Thanks for the excellent report as always. Can you give us a break down as to how Tanner Lee would have looked against our D? Just kidding. Appreciate the thorough and honest evaluation.
wave97
Swell

Solution:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bloomgren
This cat will attract mad o-line talent.
Think of it, we could have had Ed Orgeron as head coach and a Mike Bloomgren-esqe at the helm offensively. If that's not a match made in heaven then we all need to get comfortable in hell.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Winwave, I 100% agree about a no huddle spread being preferable. It makes me wonder how things would look if Tulane had hired Dino Barbers or someone else who runs a similar offense instead of Fritz.
zombie I wish we could find out. It's so frustrating that we are the one's who brought that concept to D-1 football and now we have hired 4 coaches in a row that don't run it. It's like Tulane wants to torture us. We would have hired Babers but he took another job just as any coach worth getting will do. They see how difficult it is to recruit here. Frustrating. Very, very frustrating. It a'int easy being green.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:Thanks for the excellent report as always. Can you give us a break down as to how Tanner Lee would have looked against our D? Just kidding. Appreciate the thorough and honest evaluation.
phantom Drew Brees would suck behind this line. :mrgreen:
RobertM320
Green Wave

wave97 wrote:Solution:
Think of it, we could have had Ed Orgeron as head coach and a Mike Bloomgren-esqe at the helm offensively. If that's not a match made in heaven then we all need to get comfortable in hell.
Did you read that wiki page?
Bloomgren was promoted to Stanford's Andrew Luck Director of Offense in January 2013

What a fancy name for offensive coordinator - the Andrew Luck Director of Offense. Who comes up with this crap?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
Bloomgren was promoted to Stanford's Andrew Luck Director of Offense in January 2013

What a fancy name for offensive coordinator - the Andrew Luck Director of Offense. Who comes up with this crap?
I think we should create the Scott Cowen Director of Lavatory Services and the Rick Dickson Animal Excrement Controller. :roll:
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

I hope Nickerson and Tre Jackson were held out just to make sure they're healthy in September.

I am not reading much into how the offense looks in spring practice especially without live tackling. The defense usually dominates this time of year anyway. Banks has to be a step up from Cuillette and Brantley. He has another four months to get this offense in his head and execute it. Fritz is saying what I want to hear about being way ahead of where we were a year ago. I don't think he would say it if he didn't mean it. It should look different in August with a full squad in place. We got out of spring with out any significant injuries.

Remember, CJ finished spring practice before the end of February and he didn't use all the days he was allotted. We are in a much better place now.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nickerson hurt his knee when he landed awkwardly on a pass play in practice this week. Jackson tore every ligament in his knee in HS and it continues to give him issues. He had a good couple of weeks and then the knee acted up again. So not sure if Nickerson just has a tweak or something more serious. What worries me is I didn't see him out there at all yesterday and I haven't had anybody else say that they did. As for Jackson he clearly has serious issues w/his knee and we can only hope for the best.

As for Fritz of course he's saying the things we want to hear. Unfortunately action speaks louder than words. The format yesterday didn't have an affect on the line play. Our line got whipped really bad. It's a serious issue that they ned to address. I wish it was otherwise but it's not. As for getting out of the spring w/out any major injuries that is pretty much the case. The brace on Kennedy's knee indicates a pretty serious injury. We do have depth there though. Hopefully Nickerson is ok.

I wish I had much better news but this team has serious issues on the offensive side of the ball that this staff must address.
nowave
Ripple

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

I think we should create the Scott Cowen Director of Lavatory Services and the Rick Dickson Animal Excrement Controller. :roll:
i believe stanford has endowed some of those coaching positions, but man thats some funny stuff lol
JerseyWave
Riptide

winwave wrote: I wish I had much better news but this team has serious issues on the offensive side of the ball that this staff must address.
This staff has done a poor job of recruiting. I think Fritz finally realized by the end of last season that he can't recruit Georgia Southern caliber talent in order to compete in the AAC. I don''t care what the visitor list looks like until he gets some of those guys to sign with him. He lost every kid that was on the fence last signing day. And only signing two Louisiana kids in the last class is criminal. He doesn't have a big time recruiter on his staff. For now he has to coach up the guys on the roster, but he better start winning some recruiting battles for improved talent.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Thanks for the info, ww. Reading your posts is like getting unbiased insider info. You should do a a blog during football season.
chain gang x man
Swell

winwave wrote:Nickerson hurt his knee when he landed awkwardly on a pass play in practice this week. Jackson tore every ligament in his knee in HS and it continues to give him issues. He had a good couple of weeks and then the knee acted up again. So not sure if Nickerson just has a tweak or something more serious. What worries me is I didn't see him out there at all yesterday and I haven't had anybody else say that they did. As for Jackson he clearly has serious issues w/his knee and we can only hope for the best.

As for Fritz of course he's saying the things we want to hear. Unfortunately action speaks louder than words. The format yesterday didn't have an affect on the line play. Our line got whipped really bad. It's a serious issue that they ned to address. I wish it was otherwise but it's not. As for getting out of the spring w/out any major injuries that is pretty much the case. The brace on Kennedy's knee indicates a pretty serious injury. We do have depth there though. Hopefully Nickerson is ok.

I wish I had much better news but this team has serious issues on the offensive side of the ball that this staff must address.
Nickerson was on the sideline. P J Hall wore a red jersey but didn't see any action

For those of you who live on the Northshore the "Spring Game" was not toll worthy
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
winwave wrote:Nickerson hurt his knee when he landed awkwardly on a pass play in practice this week. Jackson tore every ligament in his knee in HS and it continues to give him issues. He had a good couple of weeks and then the knee acted up again. So not sure if Nickerson just has a tweak or something more serious. What worries me is I didn't see him out there at all yesterday and I haven't had anybody else say that they did. As for Jackson he clearly has serious issues w/his knee and we can only hope for the best.

Nickerson was on the sideline. P J Hall wore a red jersey but didn't see any action

For those of you who live on the Northshore the "Spring Game" was not toll worthy
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:

Thanks for the info. on Nickerson. Glad to hear it.