Tulane 1st base coach needs to be fired or at least suspended.

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
rollinggreen
High Tide

During the 5th inning when Tulane was rallying, the 3rd base coach held our runner at third. A fan sitting in front of me on the 1st base side yelled at no one in particular that you had to send the guy. Whether that was right or not, the 1st base coach turns to the fan and yells at him to shut his f'ing mouth. I have watched baseball and coached baseball for a long time and have never seen such a display. There was no cursing by the fan and it was a comment yelled out to no one in particular. I will report this coach in person on Monday morning at the AD's office. This is bush league and running off the few fans we have left.

RobertM320
Green Wave

Please do. That may be acceptable upriver, but we shouldn't need to resort to that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bearwave
High Tide

I guess the coaches are as frustrated as the fans are but that is unacceptable. I feel for the seniors.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
chain gang x man
Swell

rollinggreen wrote:During the 5th inning when Tulane was rallying, the 3rd base coach held our runner at third. A fan sitting in front of me on the 1st base side yelled at no one in particular that you had to send the guy. Whether that was right or not, the 1st base coach turns to the fan and yells at him to shut his f'ing mouth. I have watched baseball and coached baseball for a long time and have never seen such a display. There was no cursing by the fan and it was a comment yelled out to no one in particular. I will report this coach in person on Monday morning at the AD's office. This is bush league and running off the few fans we have left.
Let us know how it goes
GreenLantern
Riptide

Unacceptable. I'm interested in hearing the end of this story. Which coach?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I sit on that 1st base side. But I had to leave the game today early. So I missed that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
torbida
Surge

from not having an on the field ceremony honoring last years team or the 92 team yesterday to having a sensitive base coach, this year has been a disaster.Other than women's basketball we keep screwing things up. :evil: Wish we could have a few coaches and athletic dept, people that weren't morons/losers for a change .
JerseyWave
Riptide

rollinggreen wrote:During the 5th inning when Tulane was rallying, the 3rd base coach held our runner at third. A fan sitting in front of me on the 1st base side yelled at no one in particular that you had to send the guy. Whether that was right or not, the 1st base coach turns to the fan and yells at him to shut his f'ing mouth. I have watched baseball and coached baseball for a long time and have never seen such a display. There was no cursing by the fan and it was a comment yelled out to no one in particular. I will report this coach in person on Monday morning at the AD's office. This is bush league and running off the few fans we have left.

It's never appropriate for a coach or a player to engage a fan unless they've gone way over the line, in which case security should step in and remove the fan. This sounds like a coach that should face disciplinary action.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes just checked and confirmed your story. I was told by one person sitting in the middle that the coach was out of line after it was over. Just reporting what I heard because I wasn't there. Crazy stuff. I'm glad I left early.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:

It's never appropriate for a coach or a player to engage a fan unless they've gone way over the line, in which case security should step in and remove the fan. This sounds like a coach that should face disciplinary action.
Before every game there is a PSA video warning fan about throwing objects on the field and inappropriate language. You can be removed from the stadium. This goes both ways. He should have been removed. I'm sure there were ladies in the stands and the Stetson fans were sitting within hearing range.
MicMan
Swell

Some fans we have on this board. Can't even name the coach.
exflash
High Tide

Coaching is tough enough, and the peripheral fan chatter can set the best off in these situations----non the less Coach gets the final blame and should apologize for the remark ----Get this done and move on!!! BTW just wonder about the info the fan had as to speed from 3rd to home, where the fielder was in his play, and of course the arm involved!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Gabe Boruff coaches first.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

exflash wrote:Coaching is tough enough, and the peripheral fan chatter can set the best off in these situations----non the less Coach gets the final blame and should apologize for the remark ----Get this done and move on!!! BTW just wonder about the info the fan had as to speed from 3rd to home, where the fielder was in his play, and of course the arm involved!!!
The game situation is meaningless in this instance. Whether or not the kid held at third base would have scored doesn't excuse the coach from responding to a random fans outcry. Certainly fans have a right to say whatever they want so long as it's not attacking a player or coach, or using profanity. As a hockey referee, I hear fans on just about every whistle. Part of the job is dealing with it. When it crosses the line, you remove the fan, but absolutely never engage the fan. Responding with profanity is grounds for suspension or termination.

The coach should issue an apology AND serve a week suspension. His pay for the week should go towards paying for a promo for the fans.

Please let us know who they have you speak with in the AD's office, and what the follow up and outcome is.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Pepper
Swell

Just more of the shit show we are witnessing this season.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Pepper wrote:Just more of the sh*t show we are witnessing this season.
I am sure the losing causes a lot of these issues we have heard surface but many are really strange, but I still believe some are false. How the HC handles the clubhouse, lack of scrimmages, spending time on travel/pre-game etiquette, catching issues, coaches interacting with fans, weird post game quotes, K's, BB's). I don;t know how much of it is true but it looks bad and certainly appears like a coach learning on the job after being an assistant for two decades. IDK.
chain gang x man
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Pepper wrote:Just more of the sh*t show we are witnessing this season.
I am sure the losing causes a lot of these issues we have heard surface but many are really strange, but I still believe some are false. How the HC handles the clubhouse, lack of scrimmages, spending time on travel/pre-game etiquette, catching issues, coaches interacting with fans, weird post game quotes, K's, BB's). I don;t know how much of it is true but it looks bad and certainly appears like a coach learning on the job after being an assistant for two decades. IDK.
How many times did we all holler and scream at Coach Kingston when he sent a runner home and he was thrown out by a mile or he held a runner we felt he should have sent?
Kingston never confronted a fan. It's a judgement call. You are either a hero or a zero.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There is nothing that could change my opinion that the coach should issue an apology and serve a weeks suspension.

That being said, I'm curious if the fan that the coach engaged had been yelling his commentary throughout the game? Was this something that had been building? Did it start on Sunday, or was the person going on for multiple games or all season?

Again, regardless of the answers to these questions, the coach crossed the line. It is unacceptable.
rollinggreen
High Tide

This fan did NOT yell anything during the game until that play. It was not directed at anyone, just a general statement that the runner should have been sent. Nothing was said directly to any coach but Coach Gabe turned to the fan and told him to shut the f*** up. When the next batter got a hit, coach gabe turned to the fan and said " what have you got to say now? I have put a call into the AD's office and will go there personally if need be. I have also sent a text to Coach Gabe letting him know of my intentions. Stay tuned.
rollinggreen
High Tide

Quick update: I have left a message with Assistant AD Bernardi. It has been brought to my attention that over the weekend, another fan was told by a coach to meet him outside the stadium after the game. This was the Friday night game. It was also a general statement made to no one in particular. I urge this fan to file a complaint too.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

rollinggreen wrote:This fan did NOT yell anything during the game until that play. It was not directed at anyone, just a general statement that the runner should have been sent. Nothing was said directly to any coach but Coach Gabe turned to the fan and told him to shut the f*** up. When the next batter got a hit, coach gabe turned to the fan and said " what have you got to say now? I have put a call into the AD's office and will go there personally if need be. I have also sent a text to Coach Gabe letting him know of my intentions. Stay tuned.

Quick update: I have left a message with Assistant AD Bernardi. It has been brought to my attention that over the weekend, another fan was told by a coach to meet him outside the stadium after the game. This was the Friday night game. It was also a general statement made to no one in particular. I urge this fan to file a complaint too.
WOW!

Same coach? If so, suspension may not be strong enough.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
rollinggreen wrote:This fan did NOT yell anything during the game until that play. It was not directed at anyone, just a general statement that the runner should have been sent. Nothing was said directly to any coach but Coach Gabe turned to the fan and told him to shut the f*** up. When the next batter got a hit, coach gabe turned to the fan and said " what have you got to say now? I have put a call into the AD's office and will go there personally if need be. I have also sent a text to Coach Gabe letting him know of my intentions. Stay tuned.

WOW!

Same coach? If so, suspension may not be strong enough.
Agreed that if we have a coach threatening and spewing vulgarities at fans, he has to be gotten rid of IMMEDIATELY; however, it sort of sounds like one of those escalating rumor mill things. Hopefully this is a single instance that needs to be dealt with sternly and unambiguously and then we move on.
Show Me
Tsunami

We are Marshall
rollinggreen
High Tide

Just heard back from the Assistant AD. We spoke for about ten minutes and he apologized for the incident and said he will meet with Coach Jewitt about it. I hope something is done and not swept under the rug. if nothing is done, we will have our answer.
McWave
High Tide

So what did the fan do when the coach cursed him out? I am no trouble maker and tend to remain relatively quite during the games. But if I had expressed an opinion and been met with that comment....the response would have been at least as rude. The on field personnel (players, coaches, and referees) need to focus on the game and not on the peripheral elements. This coach is in for an "education" at LSU Tuesday....Just let it get out he's thin skinned and they'll be yelling "you should have sent him" all night long.