Tulane 1st base coach needs to be fired or at least suspended.

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
rollinggreen
High Tide

The fan responded with "really"? " Did you really just say that"? "I wasn't even talking to you".

rollinggreen
High Tide

The fan replied "really? Did you really just say that"? Then the next Tulane batter got a hit and Coach turned to him and said "what do u have to say now"to the fan. In both instances the coach engaged the fan. I was sitting in section 103. I won't be back as long as this thug staff remains.
Bearwave
High Tide

Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
greenphantom
Swell

rollinggreen wrote:The fan replied "really? Did you really just say that"? Then the next Tulane batter got a hit and Coach turned to him and said "what do u have to say now"to the fan. In both instances the coach engaged the fan. I was sitting in section 103. I won't be back as long as this thug staff remains.
LOL. Thug? You are starting to sound a bit obsessed. If true, there should be discipline for the coach but you are going a tad overboard.
McWave
High Tide

So here is what appears to be the chain of events.

Tulane - Bottom of 5th
Play Description

STE 9 TLN1
HOESE singled, bunt, advanced to second on a throwing error by p (0-1 K).
G. BROWN struck out looking (3-2 BSSFBBK).
P. GOZZO struck out swinging (2-2 BFBSS).
HOESE stole third. (Down by 8, ok.)
ROWLAND walked (3-2 BSBKBB)
WITHERSPOON doubled to left field, RBI (0-0); ROWLAND advanced to third; HOESE scored.

I assume this is where the coach lost his stuff on the fan comment. If I am the coach (which I am not :shock: ), the comment is meaningless. Down by 7 in the 5th with 2 outs, there is no reason to chance running yourself out of the inning. Sal Gozzo (batting around .200) then Williams (.366) up next. The 3B coach hold is clearly the right call.

S. GOZZO doubled to right center, 2 RBI (1-0 B); WITHERSPOON scored; ROWLAND scored.

Coach follows up with additional "schooling" of the fan.
H. WILLIAMS doubled down the lf line, RBI (1-0 B); S. GOZZO scored.

L. KAPLAN lined out to cf (1-1 FB).
Inning ends; STE 9, TLN 5

So what was the outcome. One less fan and a loss to STE.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Much to do about NOTHING....Suck it up . If it's a PLAYER then that's a different story. Grow up and move on!!!!!Right now the baseball program is on life support ....THAT'S the biggest issue at this point...!!!!
GreenLantern
Riptide

DaveBrownStreak wrote:Much to do about NOTHING....Suck it up . If it's a PLAYER then that's a different story. Grow up and move on!!!!!Right now the baseball program is on life support ....THAT'S the biggest issue at this point...!!!!
This perspective is bass-ackard. If a player engaged in this sort of behavior, most folks would be more likely to attribute the cause as emotional immaturity. Unacceptable, nevertheless, but more understandable. Such action can be dealt with swiftly and effectively by the coaching staff.

As this was a coach, the face of our team, it is absolutely unacceptable. An embarrassment to the school. Since the coaching staff set the moral cadence for the entire team, if they engage in this behavior, it is much more likely (probable, even) to expect the same from the players at some point.

The only person that needs to 'suck it up' is the coach involved. If a coach feels that a fan is out of line, he should ask security to intervene. Of course, as fans we have a responsibility to act appropriately and to be mindful that we are watching very young adults. There has been no indication that the fan involved acted otherwise.
chain gang x man
Swell

When the coach crossed the line is when he used the F bomb
There were ladies and the Stetson fans sitting nearby
The PSA video before the game tells all the fans(and coaches) that inappropriate language will not be tolerated and could be grounds for removal from the stadium
The Tulane Athletic Department owes the Stetson fans an apology
McWave
High Tide

What exactly is to be sucked up? The fact that we lose more games than we win to programs with less resources or a coach taking his frustrations out on the fans trying to endure this season. At least the coach is paid to be there. Fans are paying to be there. You want to see a program disappear. Have losing coaches continue to berate fans is the way to go. The coach is a disgrace.
tnelly15
Riptide

exflash wrote:Coaching is tough enough, and the peripheral fan chatter can set the best off in these situations----non the less Coach gets the final blame and should apologize for the remark ----Get this done and move on!!! BTW just wonder about the info the fan had as to speed from 3rd to home, where the fielder was in his play, and of course the arm involved!!!
Name another instance where Peripheral fan chatter set off another coach in similar fashion. If he can't take the peripheral chatter then he needs to find a new profession.

The info that the fan had is irrelevant.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:
DaveBrownStreak wrote:Much to do about NOTHING....Suck it up . If it's a PLAYER then that's a different story. Grow up and move on!!!!!Right now the baseball program is on life support ....THAT'S the biggest issue at this point...!!!!
This perspective is bass-ackard. If a player engaged in this sort of behavior, most folks would be more likely to attribute the cause as emotional immaturity. Unacceptable, nevertheless, but more understandable. Such action can be dealt with swiftly and effectively by the coaching staff.

As this was a coach, the face of our team, it is absolutely unacceptable. An embarrassment to the school. Since the coaching staff set the moral cadence for the entire team, if they engage in this behavior, it is much more likely (probable, even) to expect the same from the players at some point.

The only person that needs to 'suck it up' is the coach involved. If a coach feels that a fan is out of line, he should ask security to intervene. Of course, as fans we have a responsibility to act appropriately and to be mindful that we are watching very young adults. There has been no indication that the fan involved acted otherwise.
GreenLantern, you are SPOT ON.

DBS: Sorry, but I don't want a coach wearing a Tulane uniform to act this way. The HC (Jewitt) needs to reprimand the 1st base coach, and not simply a slap on the wrist. People in all walks of life lose jobs over things like this. If Jewitt doesn't come down hard on this coach, the AD needs to come down hard on both of them. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenphantom
Swell

A coach dropped an F Bomb. We must alert the Church Elders. Seriously, I hope the situation gets resolved but some of you need to jump off the soap box.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

I'm not one to worry about f bombs, that being said, if my kid was around i would've met this guy walking back to the locker-room after the game and had a talk with him. Also the last thing our coaches need to do is act like those scummy Houston coaches....those guys are trash and there reputation precedes them. This is status quo at some programs like UH. Not at tulane its not and wont ever be.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

BFD, where is the outrage over the cesspool type decline that this baseball program has taken ...this is much more embarrassing then a coach that let his temper get then best of him...
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DaveBrownStreak wrote:BFD, where is the outrage over the cesspool type decline that this baseball program has taken ...this is much more embarrassing then a coach that let his temper get then best of him...
If you've been following this board, there's been no shortage of outrage about how bad this team has performed under Jewitt.
McWave
High Tide

It's more than the F bomb for me. He told the fan to shut the F up. Why? Because he didn't agree with the comment. Anger management classes might be useful. It's the intended intimidation and the follow up. This guys a loose cannon. Look rich rod would drop F bombs every other word while calling offensive plays from the press level. I know because I sat right under the box. I didn't care. It was not directed at me. It's more than the cursing. It's the intent to silence a fan (a paying supporter of Tulane athletics) attending a home game. If you've been to a game lately, there aren't that many of them. And now there's probably one less. Nice job coach.
rollinggreen
High Tide

I received a call back from the assistant AD and said that the matter has been discussed and assured this will never happen again. At least these people call you back and do not ignore you like the previous staff. I trust this will not happen again.
Jaxwave
Swell

Can you really blame the coach? He probably has finally realized he works in the worst athletic department in the country and his fledgling career is in jeopardy?
Just kidding, no excuse.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:Can you really blame the coach? He probably has finally realized he works in the worst athletic department in the country and his fledgling career is in jeopardy?
Just kidding, no excuse.
Jewett, will either be the next Skip Bertman or the next Morris Buttermaker...and your vote, prediction is ???????
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

McWave wrote:It's more than the F bomb for me. He told the fan to shut the F up. Why? Because he didn't agree with the comment. Anger management classes might be useful. It's the intended intimidation and the follow up. This guys a loose cannon. Look rich rod would drop F bombs every other word while calling offensive plays from the press level. I know because I sat right under the box. I didn't care. It was not directed at me. It's more than the cursing. It's the intent to silence a fan (a paying supporter of Tulane athletics) attending a home game. If you've been to a game lately, there aren't that many of them. And now there's probably one less. Nice job coach.

I agree. I'm also very glad that Rolling Green got a follow up call from the Assistant AD. I still hope the coach will apologize, even if it's done quietly before the game or between innings, to the folks in 103. Then we can all move on.
JDTulane
Riptide

Tulane, suspend the coach for a game, apologize to the fans involved and give them a voucher for the team shop, and move on. If it happens again, fire the hot head or reassign him.

To the fans still kvetching on here, I suggest you move on as well. Saying "I won't be back"... Really...? Over the F bomb? Make your complaint and move on with your life.
sader24
Tsunami

My only issue is, why the hell is a college coach yelling at fans in the stands instead of worrying about what's going on in between the lines. Clearly we have been having issues and I assume we need our coaches as focused and involved as possible. You can't come in here trying to tell everyone you want to change the culture of the program and be a disciplinarian when your 1st base coach is yelling at fans.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Maybe if he paid attention to what was going on with our base runners we wouldn't have so many caught off base.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:Can you really blame the coach? He probably has finally realized he works in the worst athletic department in the country and his fledgling career is in jeopardy?
Just kidding, no excuse.
Jewett, will either be the next Skip Bertman or the next Morris Buttermaker...and your vote, prediction is ???????

Buttermaker coached his team to the Championship game. I'll sign up for that right now with Jewett.
rollinggreen
High Tide

Final word on this subject. I received a call from Coach Jewitt himself Monday night and an email of apology from Coach Gabe. As far as I am concerned, they showed great class and the matter has been resolved. Roll Wave!