Twenty five years ago tomorrow

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Some great times were had:

http://sportsnola.com/tulane-ncaa-anniv ... ite-sides/
Chet Gladchuck was the AD when Clark was hired..but here is the backstory...Chet announced Basketball was returning one year ahead of when Tulane Prez Eamon Kelly wanted it to begin...Chet's choice for coach was Dave Bliss, who was on his way to NOLA to accept the job, he was contacted at the DFW airport and told not to come, that President Kelly was going to hire Perry Clark...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:

Chet Gladchuck was the AD when Clark was hired..but here is the backstory...Chet announced Basketball was returning one year ahead of when Tulane Prez Eamon Kelly wanted it to begin...Chet's choice for coach was Dave Bliss, who was on his way to NOLA to accept the job, he was contacted at the DFW airport and told not to come, that President Kelly was going to hire Perry Clark...
Was he coming to interview, or had he already completed the process? I was told that Clark blew away both the search firm and President Kelly, ending the process before some other candidates had a chance to interview. But I trust your sources, 'nut.

A funny historical note about this sort of thing: Clark Daniel Shaughnessy (originally O'Shaughnessy) was hired as AD, Football and Basketball coach in 1915. A young assistant coach from Notre Dame was contacted via telegram and told not to make the trip to New Orleans. Thus Knute Rockne never coached the Green Wave.

BTW: Two weeks from Thursday is THE MASTERS, one of my favorite events of the sporting year.
Last edited by DfromCT on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:

Gary Colson

I see that Everhart is an assistant at W Va. In the C-USA days, Clark always got along with and liked Huggins; It was Crum and Louisville that used to irk him. Not hiring Everhart (the several times we could have) was unfortunate.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

my source is former OU coach Billy Tubbs...I asked Chet about it, he only said Perry was not his first choice, that President Kelly made the final decision...either way no big deal, Perry did a fine job at Tulane, but got lazy towards the end...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Gary Colson

I see that Everhart is an assistant at W Va. In the C-USA days, Clark always got along with and liked Huggins; It was Crum and Louisville that used to irk him. Not hiring Everhart (the several times we could have) was unfortunate.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Everhart the coach that gave Hot Rod the infamous shoe box?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:my source is former OU coach Billy Tubbs...I asked Chet about it, he only said Perry was not his first choice, that President Kelly made the final decision...either way no big deal, Perry did a fine job at Tulane, but got lazy towards the end...
Agreed. When Perry started the program a year before the team took the court, he worked his butt off. The Posse was one of the most fun sports related phenomena I can remember associated with Tulane. And the team was good. Damned good. That win versus St. John's was Lou Carnesecca's last game as Coach.
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Everhart the coach that gave Hot Rod the infamous shoe box?
No he was not.
Do you really think Eamon Kelly was going to let any of those coaches step foot on the Tulane campus?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:

A President who knew what he was doing. :mrgreen:
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Was he coming to interview, or had he already completed the process? I was told that Clark blew away both the search firm and President Kelly, ending the process before some other candidates had a chance to interview. But I trust your sources, 'nut.

A funny historical note about this sort of thing: Clark Daniel Shaughnessy (originally O'Shaughnessy) was hired as AD, Football and Basketball coach in 1915. A young assistant coach from Notre Dame was contacted via telegram and told not to make the trip to New Orleans. Thus Knute Rockne never coached the Green Wave.

BTW: Two weeks from Thursday is THE MASTERS, one of my favorite events of the sporting year.
Yep. The good old days when we were good enough to turn down Rockne and still make a great hire.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Gary Colson

+1. Ridiculous the hires we made and passed him over.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Gary Colson

He was the brains behind Perry. He was very innovative especially w/regards to training methods. Should have been the hire when Perry left. Things would be much different.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Yep. The good old days when we were good enough to turn down Rockne and still make a great hire.
If memory serves Bo Schembechler was also passed over ....
Pepper
Swell

I was at the Omni for both games. Great times.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Yes sir you are correct golfnut. Found this in my dad's archives. December 11, 1965. Of course history tells us we settled on Jim Pittman.

I have the Telegram Tulane sent to Rockne. I'll have to find it and post when I do.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Yes sir you are correct golfnut. Found this in my dad's archives.

I have the Telegram Tulane sent to Rockne. I'll have to find it and post when I do.
Really cool!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Yes sir you are correct golfnut. Found this in my dad's archives. December 11, 1965. Of course history tells us we settled on Jim Pittman.

Yet another example of us having a good pool of candidates and turning down one good one for another. May that happen again in our lifetimes.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Can only imagine where we could have been if Bo Schembechler had gotten the job.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Can only imagine where we could have been if Bo Schembechler had gotten the job.
Especially had he stayed a long time, but given our history with coaches, that's debatable.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Can only imagine where we could have been if Bo Schembechler had gotten the job.
Actually Pittman was a good coach. He was tough and that is one thing all of our football coaches need to be. He led us to a great Liberty Bowl win when they were not all that many bowls. He left and went to TCU and IIRC he had a heart attack on the sidelines and passed away. Schembechler obviously would have done well too but let's be honest he would have left just like Pittman.