2020 FB Schedule Adds (Home against SELA)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
waveprof
Ripple

OOC Schedule Set:
Seot 5 at Wake Forest
Sept 12 vs Southeastern Louisiana
Sept 19 vs Army

Oct 3 at Mississippi State

JerseyWave
Riptide

Very disappointing out conference home schedule.
waveprof
Ripple

JerseyWave wrote:Very disappointing out conference home schedule.
I'll bow out after this, but thought this worth saying:

One of the two away games was left by RD (Wake). The other one (Miss St) is part of a good make-up signing by TD after RD messed things up with Miss State, and does come with a home game another year.

With 2 p5 away games on the books, it was never realistic to think that we'd have very exciting home games on top of that.

But we do have a good smattering of P5 home OOC games on the future slate:

2018: Wake Forest

2021: Oklahoma

2023: Ole Miss AND Miss State

2024: Kansas State

2025: Duke

That's far better than the last half decade + of Rick Dickson. And it looks like a planned, consistent pattern moving forward.

RD left TD a very unbalanced schedule. He seems to be doing a good job of trying to balance it as best he can (having been backed into a corner) and getting us some good games (including at home) moving forward. If we are missing some for a few years, consider the state of the scheduling he was handed by RD
RobertM320
Green Wave

I don't think this has been brought up yet.

If I'm correct, UConn's conference buyout means this is the last season they play a conf football schedule. We're scheduled to play them in 2020. Will we still play them, and it just be a non-conf game, or do we need to find a new opponent? The petty me says drop them and find someone else. The practical me says they'll be an easy win.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
squilz
Low Tide

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:36 am I don't think this has been brought up yet.

If I'm correct, UConn's conference buyout means this is the last season they play a conf football schedule. We're scheduled to play them in 2020. Will we still play them, and it just be a non-conf game, or do we need to find a new opponent? The petty me says drop them and find someone else. The practical me says they'll be an easy win.
They're planning to remain in FBS as an independent I believe. I don't see why UCONN AD would go through the trouble of cancelling all the "AAC" games they have planned. Not great for our SOS (or anyone in AAC) but not much different than when we played them as conference opponents
RobertM320
Green Wave

squilz wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:05 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:36 am I don't think this has been brought up yet.

They're planning to remain in FBS as an independent I believe. I don't see why UCONN AD would go through the trouble of cancelling all the "AAC" games they have planned. Not great for our SOS (or anyone in AAC) but not much different than when we played them as conference opponents
I was just wondering if there's some official agreement on that. I mean, UConn wants out to get their BB team into the BE as soon as possible, which hurts SOS for the rest of the AAC. My guess is schedules are done so far in advance that you can't really ask 8 schools to find new opponents with this short time span, especially since some of those games would be late in the year.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

After leaving the SEC in the mid 60’s Tulane continued to play SEC schools for many years. .
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
squilz
Low Tide

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:53 pm

I was just wondering if there's some official agreement on that. I mean, UConn wants out to get their BB team into the BE as soon as possible, which hurts SOS for the rest of the AAC. My guess is schedules are done so far in advance that you can't really ask 8 schools to find new opponents with this short time span, especially since some of those games would be late in the year.
does it really hurt our mens bball SOS? uconn has been mediocre for a while. They had a string of good seasons around the dawn of the AAC, some name recognition from success earlier in the 2000s, but they’ve not been the same in recent years. They will improve in future years, but that’s due to rejoining the big east, staying in the AAC probably wouldn’t do much for them.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Yeah, I'm just wondering what the official agreement was. I'm assuming UConn FB for 2020 is going to be whatever they already scheduled.
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:53 pm

It won't be a big deal for AAC teams.....just another conference game...another conference opponent.UCONN on the other hand is gonna have to play UMASS like 4 times.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

squilz wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:00 pm does it really hurt our mens bball SOS? uconn has been mediocre for a while. They had a string of good seasons around the dawn of the AAC, some name recognition from success earlier in the 2000s, but they’ve not been the same in recent years. They will improve in future years, but that’s due to rejoining the big east, staying in the AAC probably wouldn’t do much for them.
Umm....they have the ONLY national championships (in sports that matter) the AAC has to throw up on the board, and they did it in both mens and women's basketball the same year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:38 am
squilz wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:00 pm does it really hurt our mens bball SOS? uconn has been mediocre for a while. They had a string of good seasons around the dawn of the AAC, some name recognition from success earlier in the 2000s, but they’ve not been the same in recent years. They will improve in future years, but that’s due to rejoining the big east, staying in the AAC probably wouldn’t do much for them.
Umm....they have the ONLY national championships (in sports that matter) the AAC has to throw up on the board, and they did it in both mens and women's basketball the same year.
If they couldn’t compete in the AAC, they’re gonna have trouble winning in the Big East. The AAC wasn’t holding them back. It was bad coaching.
squilz
Low Tide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:38 am
that was what, 5-6 years ago? they’ve consistently finished in the bottom half of conference standings since then.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Reality check of what actually happens when a rabidly-supported major power visits a smaller, lower athletic caliber, academically oriented private school in a destination city:

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

WavyHoops wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:29 am Reality check of what actually happens when a rabidly-supported major power visits a smaller, lower athletic caliber, academically oriented private school in a destination city:

my guess. the intellignet Vandy fans who paid 25.00 for their ticket...sold it to the less intellignet lsu fan for 1200.00 a ticket....my friend has 3 season tickets to UT, he sold his 3 tickets to the lsu game for 6,000.00 to lsu fans...I told him I did not beleive him, they could not be that damn dumb..he then showed me the pal-pal transaction
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

So, golfnut, your friend got $2k/ticket for a UT vs. LSU game? Heck, that's what the ESPN not recognized by the NCAA playoff tickets go for.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

WavyHoops wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:29 am Reality check of what actually happens when a rabidly-supported major power visits a smaller, lower athletic caliber, academically oriented private school in a destination city:

Another good example of what is happening all over college football, and the NFL to some extent. I took notice of several televised college games yesterday, only the Wisconsin v Michigan game seemed to be full. I’m guessing Georgia v Notre Dame was full though I didn’t see any of it. Otherwise, a lot of empty seats. Put an upper deck wrapping around the end zones and west side, and Yulman will be perfect for the current era of college football.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:51 am So, golfnut, your friend got $2k/ticket for a UT vs. LSU game? Heck, that's what the ESPN not recognized by the NCAA playoff tickets go for.
2 G's each...section 18...northeast section of the stadium.....he has tickets to the OU game...he may sell them also....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:52 am

Another good example of what is happening all over college football, and the NFL to some extent. I took notice of several televised college games yesterday, only the Wisconsin v Michigan game seemed to be full. I’m guessing Georgia v Notre Dame was full though I didn’t see any of it. Otherwise, a lot of empty seats. Put an upper deck wrapping around the end zones and west side, and Yulman will be perfect for the current era of college football.
2018 attendance was an average of just under 42,000 per game...below list the tickets distribute by conference..not actual attendance
https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/cf ... ance-2019/
Bigschtick
Riptide

waveprof wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:07 pm OOC Schedule Set:
Seot 5 at Wake Forest
Sept 12 vs Southeastern Louisiana
Sept 19 vs Army

Oct 3 at Mississippi State
Waveprof: Good to see you here. I enjoyed your post on Ye Olde about how you wanted us to beat those thugs from Houston!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
anEngineer
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:52 am

I know the Georgia v Notre Dame game was overflow. I believe they said it was the largest crowd to ever watch a game in the state. With so many games on TV and streaming, going to games is getting to be a tougher sell, but if that's where the money is so the ADs will be more than happy to take it.