USM Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I love all of our players in all of our sports. I have been giving to the GWC since it was originally the GWC. I have had season tickets for football, basketball and baseball forever. I go to the games and cheer. However I believe in being honest about their talent level. People can carry on all they want that this is a talented team but it's not.Other than Williams none of these seniors have ever hit out of the .260's. They are not overwhelming defensively. So the argument that they are good college players so I don't care if they got drafted falls. If any got those calls w/offers they turned them down as they were miniscule offers. Williams would have been the only one possibly getting a decent offer and everyone knows he's going to med school. We have had pitching carry us for the most part. In the last two years we started to have some power and as I have noted several times we did get some clutch HR's to save the day in some key games. Alemais also really made a difference. He had incredible range that really helped our pitchers out. Gozzo is solid on routine balls but he's not in the same stratosphere as Alemais. Alemais and Rogers were third round picks. We have had very few players get drafted that high much less two in one year. They were huge losses.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Basically this is the same group of kids that went to two straight regionals only now older and more experienced from it. The only thing changed is their coach and their mental approach to the game. They are being taught how to act outside the lines. (Airports, hotels, dress, shave, point, club house etc). And not nearly enough emphasis on playing between the lines. If you think we lack talent this season wait until next year when we lose all but two or three starters not including starting pitching. No way we'd be 1-7 at this point under Pierce. He practiced and worked on baseball skills not behavior ones. Jewett is on his way to being our new CJ. known for recruiting and not so much coaching. I was so looking forward to this season and now I'm dreading it.
Last edited by Show Me on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like I said we lost two key components that hurt both offensively and defensively. So no not the same group. This group was never headed to Omaha no matter who coached them.
That was put out there by some who are just too emotional, some who have no clue and by some who have an agenda to see the program fail so they can say they were right on the coaching search. This group was going to be lucky to reach a Regional this year. We shouldn't be 1-7 by any means but we also shouldn't have been expected to be at the other end of the spectrum. There's a lot of games to be played. I'm hoping for a turnaround.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
chain gang x man
Swell

winwave wrote:Like I said we lost two key components that hurt both offensively and defensively. So no not the same group. This group was never headed to Omaha no matter who coached them.
That was put out there by some who are just too emotional, some who have no clue and by some who have an agenda to see the program fail so they can say they were right on the coaching search. This group was going to be lucky to reach a Regional this year. We shouldn't be 1-7 by any means but we also shouldn't have been expected to be at the other end of the spectrum. There's a lot of games to be played. I'm hoping for a turnaround.
It's true that we have 6 returning starters and a solid weekend pitching rotation. But we lack experienced depth in the field and especially on the mound
Last years team had experienced backups
When Alemais was hurt Matt Braud a senior filled in
When Jake needed a rest we had Cameron Burns a senior to fill in
Last year we had 5 solid starting pitchers
This years team has 15 freshmen or RS freshmen So far only Sal Gazzo and Chase Solesky are the only ones to show promise
Unless we get healthy at catcher Jeremy will be worn out and it will affect his hitting
We have had 2 freshmen transfer after fall ball and we 2 freshmen out for the year with injuries and our backup catcher is injured. Jonathan Artigues is the backup catcher
Pierce signed 12 guys last year. After he left for Texas 3 decided to go to JUCO, 1 followed him to Texas and 2 transferred after fall
Hopefully we can turn it around
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:I love all of our players in all of our sports. I have been giving to the GWC since it was originally the GWC. I have had season tickets for football, basketball and baseball forever. I go to the games and cheer. However I believe in being honest about their talent level. People can carry on all they want that this is a talented team but it's not.Other than Williams none of these seniors have ever hit out of the .260's. They are not overwhelming defensively. So the argument that they are good college players so I don't care if they got drafted falls. If any got those calls w/offers they turned them down as they were miniscule offers. Williams would have been the only one possibly getting a decent offer and everyone knows he's going to med school. We have had pitching carry us for the most part. In the last two years we started to have some power and as I have noted several times we did get some clutch HR's to save the day in some key games. Alemais also really made a difference. He had incredible range that really helped our pitchers out. Gozzo is solid on routine balls but he's not in the same stratosphere as Alemais. Alemais and Rogers were third round picks. We have had very few players get drafted that high much less two in one year. They were huge losses.
Montalbano, Willsey and Hope all made All-AAC teams last year. All hit double digit homers. All good college baseball players.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Did they make any All American teams?

I like Jeremy and I admire what he did after the injury. He and Williams hit some clutch homers to save our ass. Willsey is a good defensive second basemen and started to hit some HR's last year. Hope hit his share of homers. None of the ones you brought up have hit the .270 mark and none have speed. They are ok players but I wouldn't put them in the good category. I know in this day and age where everybody gets a trophy the superlatives get thrown around much too easily. I don't fall for it. Alemais, Rogers and Williams were good last year. We lost 2 of the 3.
Pepper
Swell

Jesus, we lost 2 of 3 to the service academies! They do not even have upper echelon division 1 baseball players. If our talent is that bad, we better start providing free tuition for every baseball recruit. This is the worst start since 1961 and I do not see it getting better.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:Did they make any All American teams?

I like Jeremy and I admire what he did after the injury. He and Williams hit some clutch homers to save our ass. Willsey is a good defensive second basemen and started to hit some HR's last year. Hope hit his share of homers. None of the ones you brought up have hit the .270 mark and none have speed. They are ok players but I wouldn't put them in the good category. I know in this day and age where everybody gets a trophy the superlatives get thrown around much too easily. I don't fall for it. Alemais, Rogers and Williams were good last year. We lost 2 of the 3.
:lol: You think batting average is the end all be all... It's an overrated stat. Hope, Williams, Montalbano and Willsey were the top 4 in OPS and runs created
Making an all-American team is tough. It means you're like one of the 5 best players at your position. Don't think Alemais or Rodgers made any All-American teams either, guess they weren't that good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was just one stat I noted. As has been pointed out none of these guys are getting drafted till very late if even then. You can try to pick and choose what you think makes them good players but that speaks volumes.
arkhou02
High Tide

Rogers and Alemais never made all-american teams either. Jake was great defensively, but his career batting average was about .230. Alemais fielded at about .930 clip.

I have a feeling Gozzo will be a better fielder. Williams is very good. Montalbano hit .250 his first year at Texas and .270 last year as he faded a little down the stretch. He is currently playing hurt. Wilsey is super at 2nd base and his hitting will come. The way this team has been prepared, they are still in spring training. And the primary reason we are losing is the pitching. We have not been very good in any particular area, but the walks and the latter part of the bullpen have struggled.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Gozzo won't be a better fielder. He will be solid handling the routine balls which is where Alemais needed to improve. He has nowhere near the range of Alemais and therefore won't be bailing the pitchers out of situations. Rogers bat came around last year as you suggest Willsey's will in his final year. Rogers was so good many teams just didn't even try to run . They were huge losses to this team ad the scouts saw how good they were resulting in their high draft status.
arkhou02
High Tide

They are huge losses but they are clearly not the reason we are losing. Why don't you list the pitcher's ERA's as of today?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I never said they were. I was commenting on the issue of talent. I was the first here to point out the other issues besides hitting that were hurting the team. I have posted several times about the pitching issues and those on defense too. Read the board.
arkhou02
High Tide

Well, like most, I disagree with you regarding talent. We may not have depth, but we do have talent.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not most. Several here and elsewhere have questioned the claim of this being a loaded team talent wise. The scouts see it that way too. That's how this conversation got started. I came into it late.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Post from a former player from the other site on the talent issue:

Ok, I'll take the bait on baseball. The truth is, we're not as talented as people thought. We have three above average starters on our baseball team: Jeremy Montalbano, Grant Witherspoon and Hunter Williams. Jarret DeHart has a chance to get there, but he's got to prove it over a longer period. The other players in our lineup have never developed, some over a full four years. Whether that's attitude, work ethic, poor coaching or just hitting their ceilings, I don't know...but it's probably a combination of all of it. We have too many feast of famine players, and we can't sit them because we have no bench.

We lost 38 of our 55 steals from last year, so when we do get on base, we don't have much speed to move the runners. Losing Alemais, Rogers and Carthon not only hurt us from a stolen base perspective, but their ability to get on base via the walk or drop down a bunt at any time also is missed. As a pitcher, you get pretty darn comfortable out there when you don't have to worry about the running or bunting game and when the opposing hitters don't work counts. We're built to win with the homerun. That's ok if you hit three-run dingers. You win baseball games with big innings and crooked numbers. To do that, you have to have some guys who do more than swing for the fences.

There are four players who are four-year guys who we were counting on to make a big contribution who aren't doing much of anything for us right now. It's up to them to turn it around. Not only are these guys not hitting, but they aren't having the competitive at bats that we need to be successful. They're not working the counts and drawing walks. They're not making productive outs. It's one strikeout after another and that has been going on for three years now. So, unfortunately, I think these guys are who they are and without the table setters, we're not going to produce many runs.

And that's not even getting into pitching...
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:It was just one stat I noted. As has been pointed out none of these guys are getting drafted till very late if even then. You can try to pick and choose what you think makes them good players but that speaks volumes.

OPS is probably the single best stat to look at for hitters.

You take a lineup full of 9 Alemais clones or 9 Rogers clones and I'll take one with Hope. The lineup with Hope scores the most runs. He's a better offensive player at this level than they were. That's just what the numbers bare out.

Great. A former player has an opinion.with all due respect to 23 his opinion Doesn't have any more merit than you or I.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
winwave wrote:It was just one stat I noted. As has been pointed out none of these guys are getting drafted till very late if even then. You can try to pick and choose what you think makes them good players but that speaks volumes.

OPS is probably the single best stat to look at for hitters.

You take a lineup full of 9 Alemais clones or 9 Rogers clones and I'll take one with Hope. The lineup with Hope scores the most runs. He's a better offensive player at this level than they were. That's just what the numbers bare out.

Great. A former player has an opinion.with all due respect to 23 his opinion Doesn't have any more merit than you or I.
You can try all you want to control the message on both boards but your losing. The last two years it was pitching that carried the team not hitting. No one makes a line up as you suggested. This team is not loaded with talent. You can hate on Jewett all you want but you're dead wrong on the talent issue. As for 23 go tell him that. They are now mocking you over there.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Not trying to control any message. I'm allowed to express my opinion wherever I want and as loudly as I want. Don't care if others disagree. Most of you don't know a whole lot about this game. Never said we were loaded with talent. We're good enough to compete though. Good enough to beat service academies. I'll hate on Jewett as long as he continues to lose. The fact that you think he's doing a good job shows how low your standards have gotten.

Almost everyone on this board hates you and mocks you, so I wouldn't talk too much.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. You most certainly are obsessed w/controlling the message. You clearly don't know much about the game. I never said he was doing a good job. The discussion was about our talent level. Pretty much everyone agrees he's not getting it done right now. Some want him fired yesterday. Others understand it's along season in baseball and will wait to see how it unfolds.

You obviously don't know everyone on this board. I get a lot of support for standing my ground on the serious issues .I pity those that have hate in their heart.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Ok, bozo. I'm trying to control the message. Whatever that means
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The personal insults are always the sign you have lost the argument. Deal with it.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:The personal insults are always the sign you have lost the argument. Deal with it.
Peronal insults. Ha. I don't think there's anything personal about calling you bozo, it was barely a friggin insult.

How would you classify your "everyone on the other board is mocking you" insult? Petty? Personal? The act of a bozo? A jabroni?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was just informing you so you could go back there and flame some more. I'm not the only one you have resorted to trying to insult.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

I think we can all agree...that we are not 1-7 because of talent. Your wrong on the talent Winwave but I digress. I'll meet you in the middle and say our talent is not good and is marginal......even in that scenario we are better than 1-7. And that is not acceptable to me...it may be acceptable to you but not me. Thats on the coaches and Troy Dannen, period.

I honestly dont think we have one player on the team that would have even considered to play for SELA over Tulane and I don't think SELA has one player for them that chose SELA over Tulane, yet they worked us over with even worse talent than us.
Last edited by RollWaveRoll on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.