USM Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

Pierce was a better game coach/clubhouse guy. Jewett is supposed to be a great recruiter. Pierce didn't do much recruiting. We can't pass too much judgement until we see how the guy recruits and what kind of players he brings in.

lurker123
Swell

I'm not blaming the bandwagoners but I'm not applauding them either. I'm not calling out anyone. The posts here could have been written by Tulane students.

I can read a scorecard. You folks should spend your time as you see fit including boycotting. This isn't a prison.

But I'm a Tulane fan who likes to go to Tulane games. Your conventional wisdom of "I'll see Tulane when they win" isn't my way. But it's the way of the bandwagoners and the students.

I'll miss y'all and the students at the games but something tells me that doesn't much matter to you or the students. Believe it or not, it matters to those of us who like a Tulane crowd. Come back when you're ready.

As I said it's the nature of sports today and the Tulane student body.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:Pierce was a better game coach/clubhouse guy. Jewett is supposed to be a great recruiter. Pierce didn't do much recruiting. We can't pass too much judgement until we see how the guy recruits and what kind of players he brings in.
Pierce was frustrated trying to deal with the tuition and financial aid barriers. He didn't get the support he needed in that area.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

sader24 wrote:Pierce was a better game coach/clubhouse guy. Jewett is supposed to be a great recruiter. Pierce didn't do much recruiting. We can't pass too much judgement until we see how the guy recruits and what kind of players he brings in.
We can pass a lot of judgment if he's this bad with all the non-recruiting stuff. If he's this bad in all the game time decisions, practices etc. it won't matter. Nobody is going to want to come play for him after they watched him burn the program to the ground
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:Think I would like a refund or some sort of compensation for this "baseball debacle." Very hard to tolerate this performance and the slap in the face to our baseball history is unacceptable.
No doubt. I'll probably skip a bunch of games if this continues. In the past I would always drive up and make this game. I knew better not to go tonight. What a terrible start for a new first year coach given a Senior laden regional team to work with.
I hear ya on the general premise and it was a loss but it was a good game. As for the senior laden team none are going to be drafted high. Only two will get drafted anywhere near a decent round in Williams and Merrill. This team had a lot of holes coming into this season. It is no doubt looking awful right now but again baseball is a long season and hopefully the turnaround starts this weekend. They need our support right now and I'll be there this weekend. I wish they would move the Sunday game up to 12 so people could make both the baseball and basketball games as it is Senior Day .
Disappointed to say the least. On offense we only had two holes to fill catcher and SS and both have been filled quite well. The pitching for the most part has been good enough to win. The seniors have been to two straight regionals and haven't lost more than three straight games during that period. Not potentially have any drafted high doesn't change any expectations. They are on their 4th different head coach and another different approach. Basically we are under achieving and are better than this. The coach has to find an approach that works. The current one is failing.
A side note he benched Kaplan in favor of Brown and it worked. He needs to shake up the batting order as well. Too many guys in a row are striking out.
whats sad is he made Kaplan change his swing, and now benches him when he cant hit.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:Think I would like a refund or some sort of compensation for this "baseball debacle." Very hard to tolerate this performance and the slap in the face to our baseball history is unacceptable.
No doubt. I'll probably skip a bunch of games if this continues. In the past I would always drive up and make this game. I knew better not to go tonight. What a terrible start for a new first year coach given a Senior laden regional team to work with.
I hear ya on the general premise and it was a loss but it was a good game. As for the senior laden team none are going to be drafted high. Only two will get drafted anywhere near a decent round in Williams and Merrill. This team had a lot of holes coming into this season. It is no doubt looking awful right now but again baseball is a long season and hopefully the turnaround starts this weekend. They need our support right now and I'll be there this weekend. I wish they would move the Sunday game up to 12 so people could make both the baseball and basketball games as it is Senior Day .
Disappointed to say the least. On offense we only had two holes to fill catcher and SS and both have been filled quite well. The pitching for the most part has been good enough to win. The seniors have been to two straight regionals and haven't lost more than three straight games during that period. Not potentially have any drafted high doesn't change any expectations. They are on their 4th different head coach and another different approach. Basically we are under achieving and are better than this. The coach has to find an approach that works. The current one is failing.
A side note he benched Kaplan in favor of Brown and it worked. He needs to shake up the batting order as well. Too many guys in a row are striking out.
whats sad is he made Kaplan change his swing, and now benches him when he cant hit.
Gee that's not good.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

whats sad is he made Kaplan change his swing, and now benches him when he cant hit.[/quote]
Gee that's not good.[/quote]
Maybe Kaplan should go back to the swing he used during the summer in California
It was good enough for him to hit over .300 and help his team win the World Series
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RollWaveRoll wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
How do you know this?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:
We can pass a lot of judgment if he's this bad with all the non-recruiting stuff. If he's this bad in all the game time decisions, practices etc. it won't matter. Nobody is going to want to come play for him after they watched him burn the program to the ground
Spent some time reading and listening to Jewett's comments, I think he is just not very bright. He's a ra ra guy, perfect for an assistant, hope I am very wrong.

Had a no facial hair policy when I was in school, you know what it accomplished, nothing. It was just idiotic old school crap that should have been discarded long ago.
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Spent some time reading and listening to Jewett's comments, I think he is just not very bright. He's a ra ra guy, perfect for an assistant, hope I am very wrong.

Had a no facial hair policy when I was in school, you know what it accomplished, nothing. It was just idiotic old school crap that should have been discarded long ago.
and he speaks in clichés. Loves to talk about the "heartbeat" of this team.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Six returning starters in the field, 3 solid starters on the mound.....worst start since 1961, all against questionable opponents. I want answers.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

lurker123 wrote:But I'm a Tulane fan who likes to go to Tulane games. Your conventional wisdom of "I'll see Tulane when they win" isn't my way. But it's the way of the bandwagoners and the students.

I'll miss y'all and the students at the games but something tells me that doesn't much matter to you or the students. Believe it or not, it matters to those of us who like a Tulane crowd. Come back when you're ready.

Just looking for an honest answer here, but how long have you been a Tulane fan and more specifically, attending games? I'm not looking to pick a fight here, but I'm really just trying to understand your response and where you're coming from. I don't dislike Tulane. I love Tulane. Hell, I played on the football team. I started this forum. But at what point am I or any other fan allowed to not attend because we are fed up with the losing? Being a fan and attending games are not mutually exclusive.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote:
lurker123 wrote:But I'm a Tulane fan who likes to go to Tulane games. Your conventional wisdom of "I'll see Tulane when they win" isn't my way. But it's the way of the bandwagoners and the students.

Just looking for an honest answer here, but how long have you been a Tulane fan and more specifically, attending games? I'm not looking to pick a fight here, but I'm really just trying to understand your response and where you're coming from. I don't dislike Tulane. I love Tulane. Hell, I played on the football team. I started this forum. But at what point am I or any other fan allowed to not attend because we are fed up with the losing? Being a fan and attending games are not mutually exclusive.
I'd venture to guess that there isn;t a single bandwagon fan on this site or the other one.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:I haven't given up on Willie Fritz yet nor should you. I wonder if Alabama should have fired Nick Saban after his first season in 2007 when even with the Tide's tradition and resources for football he still went 6-6, losing to Georgia, Florida State, LSU, Miss. St., UL-Monroe and Auburn?

Again, take a deep breath.
You can't even compare the two. In no way, shape, or form are Nick Saban/Alabama and Tulane in the same stratosphere. If, after 9 years, Fritz or any other Tulane coach gives us 7 bowl game appearances with 5 victories, a share of 5 division titles, 4 conference championships, and 4 national championships, then I'll run down McAllister naked during homecoming. C'mon man. :mrgreen:
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I haven't given up on Fritz, but he sure as hell didn't impress me in his first year. It's the Yoggie mentality creeping up on here that is the most surprising. At the end of the day, it's about winning. Always has been, always will be. And last time I checked, you'd be hard-pressed to find many W's these days.
Roll Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Six returning starters in the field, 3 solid starters on the mound.....worst start since 1961, all against questionable opponents. I want answers.
Let's be honest the opponents as a whole have not been questionable. UCSB was in the CWS last season and is ranked this season. Their coach was Dannen's first choice and he came I to interview but didn't after UCSB met his demands. USM is good as usual. SELA is good. AF has been competitive and are picked to finish second in the MWC. Army has been bad but I would note they fired their coach and hired the top assistant from BC. We have enough problems without overstating things.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This was from Baseball America listing the top 20 players in the AAC:
Tulane had 7 before Fraley left.
1. Seth Romero, lhp, Houston
1. Dwanya Wiliams-Sutton, of, East Carolina
1. Trey Benton, rhp, East Carolina

2. Connor Wong, c, Houston
2. Joe Davis, 1b, Houston
2. Bryant Packard, 1b/of, East Carolina

3. Ryan Noda, of/1b, Cincinnati
3. Shane McClanahan, lhp, South Florida
3. Spencer Brickhouse, 1b, East Carolina

4. Kyle Marsh, of/rhp, Central Florida
4. Tim Cate, lhp, Connecticut
4. D.J. Roberts, rhp, South Florida

5. Corey Julks, of, Houston
5. Garrett Zech, of, South Florida
5. Carter Henry, rhp, Houston

6. Colton Hathcock, rhp, Memphis
6. Ross Massey, lhp, Tulane
6. Chris Winkel, of/1b, Connecticut

7. Joe Ingle, rhp, East Carolna
7. Jon Bowlan, rhp, Memphis
7. Brandon Fraley, of/rhp, Tulane

8. Kevin Merrell, 2b/ss, South Florida
8. Sam Lanier, rhp, East Carolina
8. Nick Slaughter, c, Houston

9. Willy Yahn, 3b, Connecticut
9. Trey Cumbie, lhp, Houston
9. Collin Sullivan, rhp, South Florida

10. Hunter Hope, 3b, Tulane
10. Andrew Perez, lhp, South Florida
10. Sal Gozzo, ss, Tulane

11. Evan Kruczynski, lhp, East Carolina

12. Travis Watkins, c, East Carolina

13. Cre Finfrock, rhp, Central Florida

14. Jeremy Montalbano, c, Tulane

15. Bryce Harman, 1b, East Carolina

16. Jordan Scheftz, rhp, Central Florida

17. Drew Crosby, lhp Memphis

18. Corey Merrill, rhp, Tulane

19. Connor Hollis, ss, Houston

20. Hunter Williams, 1b, Tulane
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:This was from Baseball America listing the top 20 players in the AAC:
Tulane had 7 before Fraley left.
1. Seth Romero, lhp, Houston
1. Dwanya Wiliams-Sutton, of, East Carolina
1. Trey Benton, rhp, East Carolina

2. Connor Wong, c, Houston
2. Joe Davis, 1b, Houston
2. Bryant Packard, 1b/of, East Carolina

3. Ryan Noda, of/1b, Cincinnati
3. Shane McClanahan, lhp, South Florida
3. Spencer Brickhouse, 1b, East Carolina

4. Kyle Marsh, of/rhp, Central Florida
4. Tim Cate, lhp, Connecticut
4. D.J. Roberts, rhp, South Florida

5. Corey Julks, of, Houston
5. Garrett Zech, of, South Florida
5. Carter Henry, rhp, Houston

6. Colton Hathcock, rhp, Memphis
6. Ross Massey, lhp, Tulane
6. Chris Winkel, of/1b, Connecticut

7. Joe Ingle, rhp, East Carolna
7. Jon Bowlan, rhp, Memphis
7. Brandon Fraley, of/rhp, Tulane

8. Kevin Merrell, 2b/ss, South Florida
8. Sam Lanier, rhp, East Carolina
8. Nick Slaughter, c, Houston

9. Willy Yahn, 3b, Connecticut
9. Trey Cumbie, lhp, Houston
9. Collin Sullivan, rhp, South Florida

10. Hunter Hope, 3b, Tulane
10. Andrew Perez, lhp, South Florida
10. Sal Gozzo, ss, Tulane

11. Evan Kruczynski, lhp, East Carolina

12. Travis Watkins, c, East Carolina

13. Cre Finfrock, rhp, Central Florida

14. Jeremy Montalbano, c, Tulane

15. Bryce Harman, 1b, East Carolina

16. Jordan Scheftz, rhp, Central Florida

17. Drew Crosby, lhp Memphis

18. Corey Merrill, rhp, Tulane

19. Connor Hollis, ss, Houston

20. Hunter Williams, 1b, Tulane
D1 baseball rankings by position in the entire country had Williams, Willsey and Hope in the top 50.
Spoon was top 150 in the outfield.
Massey was 51st best Starting pitcher, Merrill #140 and France #162
chain gang x man
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

You want answers
Yes we have 6 returning starters but our backups have little to no experience
We have 15 freshmen or RS freshmen
Jewett realized as soon as he arrived that there were NO juniors on the roster
He has 23 signees for next year with at least 10 JUCOs
Presently we have only one catcher and he is coming off Tommy John surgery
Our bullpen has only one pitcher who threw more then 5 innings last year
Most people think that Hope strikes out too much and should be benched. Who can take his place and play defense
We only have 30 players on the roster able to play
Does anyone think these guys aren't trying to win
It's a long season and this team is capable of turning things around.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
How do you know this?
I watch the games.....I've watched Kaplan swing the bat in 150 + starts. This is the 1st year he looks different. I didn't even recognize him at the 1st game with his hands way out in front of him, so i had to look on the big board to see who it was. I put two and two together, and realized that these coaches must have been the ones to change it, thats the only thing i could come up with. I'm not 100% on this, but i'd still take it to the bank.
sader24
Tsunami

RollWaveRoll wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
How do you know this?
I watch the games.....I've watched Kaplan swing the bat in 150 + starts. This is the 1st year he looks different. I didn't even recognize him at the 1st game with his hands way out in front of him, so i had to look on the big board to see who it was. I put two and two together, and realized that these coaches must have been the ones to change it, thats the only thing i could come up with. I'm not 100% on this, but i'd still take it to the bank.
I'm not saying they didnt, but you can't use that as fact. That's ridiculous. You may be right, but you certainly said it as though it was fact and not conjecture on your part.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

sader24 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
How do you know this?
I'm not saying they didnt, but you can't use that as fact. That's ridiculous. You may be right, but you certainly said it as though it was fact and not conjecture on your part.
I hear ya....but my whole section was talking about it and asked around and it was confirmed or agreed upon....who else would've changed it? Its probably 90% chance his coach did if you ask me. I'm sure someone on here knows for sure.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was only the 2nd game Kaplan did not start in since he's been at Tulane.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Kaplan has obviously made some big changes. But none of us know who initiated those changes.

He missed more than a few starts his Freshman year, he struggled a lot that year. He started pretty much every game the past 2 seasons though
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He started out hitting well last yer and really tailed off at the end. He hit well over the summer and IIRC an article somebody posted about his summer league tam talked about him changing his swing then.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:I'm not trolling and I don't expect any replies. Reading the above, I'm migrating from being surprised to amazed at the number of self-described hard core fans here who are now not going to games, glad they didn't renew season tickets and I guess prefer to rearrange their sock drawer than see Tulane play.

It appears the bandwagon culture has now arrived at Tulane as it exists everywhere else. Sorry but boycotting doesn't help anything and arguably hurts the fan most of all.

I'll be at the games this weekend. No, I'm not a parent, nor an employee nor Dannen's brother-in-law. I'm just an alum and a Tulane fan. If I want to send a message, I communicate with the folks in charge. When I want to support the team and enjoy watching Tulane, I go to games. Can't do it mowing my lawn nor b*tching on message boards.

Voicing your displeasure about the direction of a program and attending Tulane games are not mutually exclusive. Just my two bits.
lurker I know you mean well but just liek you like to tell others how they should handle things I'll do that for you. There are three reasons these forums exist:

1) Celebrating- we all know there has been far too little of that over the decades

2) Information- much too little real information from this athletic dept. . In fact one reason many are already hating on TD is that he fired long time employees who some felt gave them info. ( usually they just tried to get out their own self preservation message).

3) venting- Now no one can dispute that this athletic dept. has given us long time diehards here a whole lot to vent about. People do make calls, send emails, etc. The most you usually get is a stock response.

All that losing has led many to leave over the last few decades. At first I was pissed at the ones I knew. Then I realized they were using good sense and wished I could bring myself to do the same. So when people here say they are going to show their displeasure by not going to games I respect it. The last administration didn't give a shit about empty seats. This one does.

The bottom line is you are just too sensitive about the issues and really shouldn't come to these boards rather than trying to tell everyone else what they should say and what they should do.