I just have one question:

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

and I'm serious, is there a worse DI athletic program in the country than Tulane's. Think in terms of success, money, attendance, fan interest, press coverage, administration support, etc.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:and I'm serious, is there a worse DI athletic program in the country than Tulane's. Think in terms of success, money, attendance, fan interest, press coverage, administration support, etc.
Damn !!!.. I hate when an issue is clouded with fact !!!!...but on the plus side, Tulane is number 1 in something
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
cajunfanatico
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:and I'm serious, is there a worse DI athletic program in the country than Tulane's. Think in terms of success, money, attendance, fan interest, press coverage, administration support, etc.
ULM, though I haven't run the numbers.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Show Me
Tsunami

It would be hard to find one. Even UNO has passed us up and they only play flag football.
Only Tulane could do a nationwide search and find the one guy worse than Dickson.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Show Me wrote:
It would be hard to find one. Even UNO has passed us up and they only play flag football.
Only Tulane could do a nationwide search and find the one guy worse than Dickson.
Given that the hires were good enough/great on paper, that's all that one could ask from an AD during the hiring process - all of the three hires (MBB/FB/BB) looked respectable and could be justified prior to the seasons taking place. That's not even taking into account the fact that there is no such thing as a guarantee when it comes to hiring a new coach - there are always risks that it will not work out, and a candidates success at a prior coaching job (assistant or head coach) does not guarantee similar success at a different institution. In addition, implementing a new coach frequently means that a new culture and approach on the field will be implemented and often it takes a season or two to implement those changes.

The TL;DR
1. MBB/FB/BB hires all looked good enough on paper.
2. There is no such thing as a guarantee that a coach will succeed, regardless of his resume.
3. A new coaching hire frequently means a new culture/approach, and it takes time to implement that.
Wave755
Tsunami

In regard to Willie Fritz, I remind all Wave fans Nick Saban was 6-6 in the regular season for his first year at 'Bama. The Tide did defeat Colorado in the 2007 crappy Independence Bowl 30–24 to end the year 7–6.

So let's take a few deep breaths, Wave fans. 8-)
lurker123
Swell

I just have one answer: Nothing like waking up on Lundi Gras and acting the victim. If you think it's true (and I don't) then quit feeling sorry for yourself and do something about it.

Sorry but you can send out all the invites you want but who wants to come to a pity party?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Given that the hires were good enough/great on paper, that's all that one could ask from an AD during the hiring process - all of the three hires (MBB/FB/BB) looked respectable and could be justified prior to the seasons taking place. That's not even taking into account the fact that there is no such thing as a guarantee when it comes to hiring a new coach - there are always risks that it will not work out, and a candidates success at a prior coaching job (assistant or head coach) does not guarantee similar success at a different institution. In addition, implementing a new coach frequently means that a new culture and approach on the field will be implemented and often it takes a season or two to implement those changes.

The TL;DR
1. MBB/FB/BB hires all looked good enough on paper.
2. There is no such thing as a guarantee that a coach will succeed, regardless of his resume.
3. A new coaching hire frequently means a new culture/approach, and it takes time to implement that.
Seriously, you cannot make any conclusions with Bball and FBall at this point as they were total rebuilds and it takes time. WF addressed the QB situation and Dunleavy has transfers and bigs coming in. They both messed up in year one not addressing those two issues, but they are also two of the most difficult positions to recruit to.

As for baseball, Jewett has made some major mistakes it appears. This team should be better but it is a long season. The only thing I can think about is that Pierce was a much better coach then we realized and the players over-performed last year. Though like the QB and bigs issue, he failed to address the bullpen's glaring hole, though that has hardly been the reason why the team is where it is.

I might be in the minority, but I still see a lot of hope with TD running the show. I just wish he would reach out to the fans, students and alums to make it clear there is a vision/hope and that losing will not be tolerated.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:Seriously, you cannot make any conclusions with Bball and FBall at this point as they were total rebuilds and it takes time. WF addressed the QB situation and Dunleavy has transfers and bigs coming in. They both messed up in year one not addressing those two issues, but they are also two of the most difficult positions to recruit to.

As for baseball, Jewett has made some major mistakes it appears. This team should be better but it is a long season. The only thing I can think about is that Pierce was a much better coach then we realized and the players over-performed last year. Though like the QB and bigs issue, he failed to address the bullpen's glaring hole, though that has hardly been the reason why the team is where it is.

I might be in the minority, but I still see a lot of hope with TD running the show. I just wish he would reach out to the fans, students and alums to make it clear there is a vision/hope and that losing will not be tolerated.
I agree - I was just drawing attention to (1) the fact that all 3 hires were justifiable at the time that they were made, and that it would be unfair to throw TD under the bus (like some posters have been doing) because of the rough first years of those coaches since he did what he needed to do by making hires that made sense and (2) that there are no guarantees on success with a new hire no matter what their resume, and, if the new hire wants to implement a new process or culture, it could take time and have a negative impact on the performance of the team until its fully implemented.
Bearwave
High Tide

cajunfanatico wrote:
It would take an ULaLa fan to come up with that answer.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
alumniwave
Low Tide

Tulane is #1 for fans who jump the ship fastest.
Wave755
Tsunami

Bearwave wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
And, a fan of an ULALA program that draws a real 8 to 10 thousand per game for football. :roll:
sader24
Tsunami

alumniwave wrote:Tulane is #1 for fans who jump the ship fastest.
Jump ship the fastest?? What ship, we haven't won in forever. Football and Basketball have been horrible for decades, baseball has two successful seasons in the last decade. Football was 4-8, Basketball is 5-100, and Baseball is 1-7. Everyone who was going to jump ship has already done so. All that is left is the same 2-3,000 fans that we've had for the last 15 years. We are just dying off one at a time now.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

sader24 wrote:
Jump ship the fastest?? What ship, we haven't won in forever. Football and Basketball have been horrible for decades, baseball has two successful seasons in the last decade. Football was 4-8, Basketball is 5-100, and Baseball is 1-7. Everyone who was going to jump ship has already done so. All that is left is the same 2-3,000 fans that we've had for the last 15 years. We are just dying off one at a time now.
The fact we are on this site and form a diaspora of age range of Tulane fans means we haven't jumped ship yet. I have already put on my life jacket if this ship sinks but I'm riding this Wave till my last breath.

I don't really follow baseball, but we knew bball was going to be a tough year. The only conference game we won was beating a struggling USF team that left 2 of their own players at the airport. As for football, we improved this year and addressed our biggest needs for next season so what is there
To gripe about until next year's season?

Then in terms of TDs performance, he's rebranded our mascot, adding new features to the stadium, and beginning fundraising for a football operations facility. What else can he do to show us he's all in? He's had 1 full season and has made more major progress than RD did in his full tenure here. Am I missing something?
cajunfanatico
Swell

Bearwave wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
What's wrong with my comment? He said he was asking a serious question and I answered it seriously.
ULM at the bottom of college sports in athletic support

ULM has faced an uphill battle from the day it joined the rank and file of Division I college athletics.

The latest financial data released by USA Today tell the same old story. In 2014, ULM was once again dead last among FBS schools in athletic revenue and budget.

ULM ranked last in the Sun Belt Conference and in the bottom third of schools in the UL System in athletic subsidy — the percentage a university contributes to the athletic department's budget — at just 39 percent. Every school but two in the UL System gave a higher percentage than ULM to athletics, including those that receive less state funding.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... /28934097/
Success? AAC versus Sunbelt, Football 2015 & 2016 3-9 and 4-8 versus 2-11 and 4-8, Basketball 2015 & 2016 12-22 and 5-23 to date versus 20-11 and 8-20 to date in a much tougher league, Baseball 2015 & 2016 35-25 and 41-21 versus 25-29 and 20-35.

Money? Tulane's athletic budget numbers are not published that I'm aware of but it's got to be at least in the mid $40's, no?

From the same article:
The total budget for the ULM athletic department in 2014 was $12,366,499, good for 183rd in the country. Only Arkansas-Little Rock and Texas-Arlington — none football schools — had lower budgets within the Sun Belt.
Attendance? 2015 & 2016 Tulane football 23,000 & 23,000 versus 13,000 & 14,000 for ULM football.

You guys play in a brand new football stadium and have a great baseball venue. ULM, for the first time in 40 years if my memory serves, spent money last year to build a small addition for weight training onto their existing facilities.

I don't care how you slice it, ULM is far far worse off than Tulane ever was and the future is bleak with the state of the budget in Louisiana. I realize you guys are frustrated after years of Cow-Dick Disease, but give your new AD some time. He can't undo in mere months what took Cowen and Dickson years to screw up.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
galvezwave
Swell

No
Wave755
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:
Under Michael Fitts for the first time since the 1970s we are paying a Div. 1 salary for our football coach. Neither Eamon Kelly nor Cowen were willing to pay what it cost to win at football. Within a week of Scelfo's hiring I learned, "Scelfo agreed to 350k a year and Cowen jumped for it." Michael Fitts seems willing to play the game by the same rules as everyone else. Football is the engine of college athletics. These guys deserve a chance, way too early to jump ship. I agree after 16 & 1/2 years of Cowen the program is at an historic low, but the people now running Tulane athletics inherited this mess, they didn't cause it.
Jaxwave
Swell

sader24 wrote:
Graduated in 1974, was there on Dec 1, 1973, been here ever since, although haven't donated a penny in about 10 years despite the means to do so. I wear Tulane gear out in public over here in Fl because I am a proud alum, but completely embarrassed by the athletic program. Head jumped ship a while ago, giving up hope there will ever be a commitment from the administration to compete. Heart hasn't jumped ship yet.
Glad to know there is one program worse than us.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wickstrom named finalist at Sacramento State

Sacramento State is the latest university to make a run at Wickstrom, joining Akron, Fresno State and Tulane. Wickstrom applied and was a finalist for the athletic director job at Akron until he removed his name from consideration in August 2015.

Wickstrom was a finalist at Tulane before the Green Wave hired Troy Dannen in December 2015.

Sacramento State’s overall athletic budget of $22,217,565 in 2015 was almost $10 million more than ULM’s budget of $12,801,041, according to the latest financial database from USA Today.

Wickstrom’s tenure has included continued facility improvements and an unprecedented level of athletic fundraising—all despite an often contentious working relationship with ULM President Nick Bruno.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... /98478928/
Moving from an FBS school to an FCS program. :?
dpm wave
Swell

alumniwave wrote:Tulane is #1 for fans who jump the pirogue fastest.
fify

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

ULM has no business playing FBS football, it's totally unsustainable financially despite some success.
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:

Sacramento State is the latest university to make a run at Wickstrom, joining Akron, Fresno State and Tulane. Wickstrom applied and was a finalist for the athletic director job at Akron until he removed his name from consideration in August 2015.

Wickstrom was a finalist at Tulane before the Green Wave hired Troy Dannen in December 2015.

Sacramento State’s overall athletic budget of $22,217,565 in 2015 was almost $10 million more than ULM’s budget of $12,801,041, according to the latest financial database from USA Today.

Wickstrom’s tenure has included continued facility improvements and an unprecedented level of athletic fundraising—all despite an often contentious working relationship with ULM President Nick Bruno.

Sure. An FCS school with double the budget of ULM.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Sure. An FCS school with double the budget of ULM.
Which only bolsters my point that, by most measures, ULM is the worst program in Division 1.
Show Me
Tsunami

Not at the moment. Just when the final nail is put in the basketball coffin along comes baseball and rears its ugly head.
Seriously. The current number of wins from Dannen's 3 major hires so far have a combined 13 wins in 55 games.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote:ULM has no business playing FBS football, it's totally unsustainable financially despite some success.
no matter how many "duck calls" are sold in lovely and scenic Monroe...and I am beginning to question if Tulane should be playing also, no matter how many "Serta's'' are sold
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !