UCSB Series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
msdos
Swell

I have been mystified by the deification of Troy Dannen and the spin/excuses associated with it. I am glad to see that most Tulane fans still have a line, and it is our baseball program.

Vlvwave
Ripple

The rings could have been ordered and ready for a pregame or halftime ceremony at a football game. But Dannen didn't want to spend the money on baseball so the process became delayed and the rings cheapened. Most of the departed players from last year's team were in NOLA opening weekend. The current seniors wanted them to be given pregame but the administration "did not want to take away from opening weekend". The seniors given a choice to have a ceremony on the first conference weekend or get them in the locker room. They had waited long enough so took them in the locker room. Just more evidence of the lack of respect for these guys.
Robert1969
Riptide

Jewett's got to go. This is unacceptable. I am not through with Dannen yet, because I believe that Fritz is going to come through in football, and I am not over Dunleavy yet. But in baseball, this is completely unacceptable. Dannen fucked up with Jewett. He needs to fix it pronto.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Does anyone have TD's email address?
GreenLantern
Riptide

Mandeville Wave wrote:Does anyone have TD's email address?
[email protected]
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

GreenLantern wrote:
Mandeville Wave wrote:Does anyone have TD's email address?
[email protected]
Thanks
Bigschtick
Riptide

Robert1969 wrote:Jewett's got to go. This is unacceptable. I am not through with Dannen yet, because I believe that Fritz is going to come through in football, and I am not over Dunleavy yet. But in baseball, this is completely unacceptable. Dannen f**ked up with Jewett. He needs to fix it pronto.

Plus one!
Last edited by Bigschtick on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Robert1969
Riptide

I could be pulling this out of my ass, but my thought is, if he would be interested, bring back Rick Jones to try turn this around, if he's successful and wants to stay, let him stay, and if he doesn't want to stay, and wants to go back into retirement let him pick his successor. Now if he's successful and leaves for another program don't let him pick his successor.

Just do something, because this is an epic disaster.
kookingkajun
Low Tide

I think everyone needs to chill. This reminds me of when LSU hired PM and in the first year they never made it to the SEC tourney, Everybody was up in arms about bring Skip back. Skip told everyone to relax and let him coach "PM's team".
Well I think that advise paid off. Give him a chance to coach "his" players.
Robert1969
Riptide

kookingkajun wrote: Well I think that advise paid off. Give him a chance to coach "his" players.
He is coaching a team that was conference champions last year. He's coaching a team that went fairly deep into the regionals last year. I could tolerate a slight step back while he brought in his type of players. But this has no place in Tulane baseball.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:I could be pulling this out of my ass, but my thought is, if he would be interested, bring back Rick Jones to try turn this around, if he's successful and wants to stay, let him stay, and if he doesn't want to stay, and wants to go back into retirement let him pick his successor. Now if he's successful and leaves for another program don't let him pick his successor.

No, an epic disaster would be firing a coach two weeks into his first season. We would rightfully become the laughingstock of college baseball and no one would ever want to coach here in any sport.
God Bless Everyone!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:I could be pulling this out of my ass, but my thought is, if he would be interested, bring back Rick Jones to try turn this around, if he's successful and wants to stay, let him stay, and if he doesn't want to stay, and wants to go back into retirement let him pick his successor. Now if he's successful and leaves for another program don't let him pick his successor.

No, an epic disaster would be firing a coach two weeks into his first season. We would rightfully become the laughingstock of college baseball and no one would ever want to coach here in any sport.
Ya, this is just silly fandem. This coach get three years, min. Buckle up.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:

PLUS ONE MILLION.

Those of you calling for his head need to take a chill pill. Jewitt will be here at least three more seasons. He EARNED the right to try to fix things. There's no telling that Rick Jones, Tony LaRussa or Joe Maddon would have the team playing better. Clearly things aren't clicking and that's on the coach. But this BS about replacing him is about as looney tunes as it gets, 8 games into a 50 game season. He doesn't pick up the bat and go to the plate, he doesn't field any position, and doesn't throw any pitches. He knows more about baseball than any of us, he needs and deserves time to get this straightened out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

Firing him 8 games in or even before seasons end would be silly. Giving him 3 years minimum is also silly. When Southern Miss recognized Ellis Johnson was a disaster of a head football coach, they canned him after 1 season. If things continue on the current trajectory, Jewett should get the same treatment.
Even in a rebuild I don't buy giving a guy a minimum 3 years if it's obvious they aren't the guy. In this situation where he was handed over a pretty good team, if he fucks it all up in 1 year. No need to give him any more time.
It's kind of like the sunk cost fallacy. Just because we've already wasted the money on him doesn't mean we should keep him around.
Wavetime
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

PLUS ONE MILLION.

Those of you calling for his head need to take a chill pill. Jewitt will be here at least three more seasons. He EARNED the right to try to fix things. There's no telling that Rick Jones, Tony LaRussa or Joe Maddon would have the team playing better. Clearly things aren't clicking and that's on the coach. But this BS about replacing him is about as looney tunes as it gets, 8 games into a 50 game season. He doesn't pick up the bat and go to the plate, he doesn't field any position, and doesn't throw any pitches. He knows more about baseball than any of us, he needs and deserves time to get this straightened out.

I understand and respect your opinion, however, there was nothing to "fix".
Bearwave
High Tide

Oh well another game another loss and boat load of K's. This game though should have been won. Oh well, on to USM.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
Vlvwave
Ripple

What the hell has he EARNED???
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

Firing him 8 games in or even before seasons end would be silly. Giving him 3 years minimum is also silly. When Southern Miss recognized Ellis Johnson was a disaster of a head football coach, they canned him after 1 season. If things continue on the current trajectory, Jewett should get the same treatment.
Even in a rebuild I don't buy giving a guy a minimum 3 years if it's obvious they aren't the guy. In this situation where he was handed over a pretty good team, if he fucks it all up in 1 year. No need to give him any more time.
It's kind of like the sunk cost fallacy. Just because we've already wasted the money on him doesn't mean we should keep him around.
Swept.
The Ad hired him as a top assistant in the nation from a peer school. There is no chance a change is made for years, that's the reality. End of story.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote: I understand and respect your opinion, however, there was nothing to "fix".
I mean fix the mess he's created. I'm not making apologies for the man, I just think he's got a mess on his hands right now, and deserves the opportunity to fix it. 8 games does not make or break a season or career. What his team does over the next three seasons certainly will be more important than what he's done the first 10 days of his first season.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

Swept.
The Ad hired him as a top assistant in the nation from a peer school. There is no chance a change is made for years, that's the reality. End of story.
Pretty dumb if it is the end of the story, but possible.
lurker123
Swell

Vlvwave wrote:What the hell has he EARNED???
Noted so let's try a thought experiment about "earning." Say Tulane were now 7-0 or worst case 6-1. What would be your reaction to posters here who would be saying they had already made their reservations for Omaha 2017?

I'll give you mine without suspense. That's the flip side of some of the over-the-top posts around here. This is like saying fire the football coach after losing the opening two games. Oh wait. We saw that upriver. Guess who you end up with when you panic before you even have played 15% of your games? Ed Orgeron. At least LSU had lost a conference game when it hit the panic button. Before we fire up the auto de fe, why don't we at least see what the team does against UH and ECU?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Get back to the hotel, shave, shower and put on your jacket and tie.
Wave755
Tsunami

Game 3 Final: UCSB 6, Wave 5.
At least the team did show some pride today.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I have a simple suggestion based on conversations with people involved in the program. The first thing we need to do more of is to hit live pitching. Any player will tell you it's night and day hitting off a machine vs live pitching. We're spending way too much time on things that are not going to help us win. Period. Pierce and his staff threw a ton of BP and scrimmaged a bunch. We were simply not prepared enough hitting wise to start the season. We didn't get enough reps facing live pitching. I truly believe it's the main reason why we strikeout around 11 times a game. Our pitching hasn't quite been up to expectations as well. Not sure why that is. Maybe because they haven't pitched enough coming into the season. Just a guess I don't know that to be a fact. I predicted 32 wins this season. That looks quite optimistic at this point.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bearwave
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:I have a simple suggestion based on conversations with people involved in the program. The first thing we need to do more of is to hit live pitching. Any player will tell you it's night and day hitting off a machine vs live pitching. We're spending way too much time on things that are not going to help us win. Period. Pierce and his staff threw a ton of BP and scrimmaged a bunch. We were simply not prepared enough hitting wise to start the season. We didn't get enough reps facing live pitching. I truly believe it's the main reason why we strikeout around 11 times a game. Our pitching hasn't quite been up to expectations as well. Not sure why that is. Maybe because they haven't pitched enough coming into the season. Just a guess I don't know that to be a fact. I predicted 32 wins this season. That looks quite optimistic at this point.
The stupid turf mound probably doesn't help pitchers. You are dead on about needing to see more live pitching.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em