UCSB Series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Wave drop game one 7-4
4th straight loss for the Wave.
I predict that it won't be long until the words "what if" and "Cannizaro" begin to appear in baseball threads.
You hear things sometimes. The coaching styles of Pierce and Jewett couldn't be any more different. You have a good bit of the team that's on their 4th coach since they've been here. They are still adjusting to the major differences of prior coaching styles. I don't know Andy's HC'g style. But Pierce was a more fun and relaxed approach. TJ places more emphasis in training and discipline. The two have completely different approaches. I think it's much easier going from discipline to fun then vise versa. A bunch of on and off field stuff has changed from last year to this year.
This stuff may be more mental than anything. But mental is also important in baseball.
Discipline? I respect how u bleed green TPS, no idea how u do It but this team so far has zero discipline. K's, walks on the mound, horrible OF D, bad baserunning and terrible situational hitting.
At what point does TD address the few remaining fans after the fball, bball and early season baseball. Hell we pay the goddam women's bball coach 500k, for what? It's all messed up.
Maybe discipline is the wrong choice of words.
Ping Pong tables were removed from the clubhouse. Comfortable chairs were replaced with stools. Facial hair is not allowed. Coat and tie dress code. Practice how to stand for the national anthem. And some other things not baseball related.
The last 2 seasons under Pierce we never lost more than 3 games in a row. We've now lost 4 straight already.
I'm guessing the coaches are still getting to know the players and the players are still trying to get used to the new coaching. Hopefully it happens sooner than later. I'm told we struck out 12 times today. That's almost half the 27 outs you get in a game.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
I predict that it won't be long until the words "what if" and "Cannizaro" begin to appear in baseball threads.
You hear things sometimes. The coaching styles of Pierce and Jewett couldn't be any more different. You have a good bit of the team that's on their 4th coach since they've been here. They are still adjusting to the major differences of prior coaching styles. I don't know Andy's HC'g style. But Pierce was a more fun and relaxed approach. TJ places more emphasis in training and discipline. The two have completely different approaches. I think it's much easier going from discipline to fun then vise versa. A bunch of on and off field stuff has changed from last year to this year.
This stuff may be more mental than anything. But mental is also important in baseball.
Discipline? I respect how u bleed green TPS, no idea how u do It but this team so far has zero discipline. K's, walks on the mound, horrible OF D, bad baserunning and terrible situational hitting.
At what point does TD address the few remaining fans after the fball, bball and early season baseball. Hell we pay the goddam women's bball coach 500k, for what? It's all messed up.
Ping Pong tables were removed from the clubhouse. Comfortable chairs were replaced with stools. Facial hair is not allowed. Coat and tie dress code. Practice how to stand for the national anthem. And some other things not baseball related.
The last 2 seasons under Pierce we never lost more than 3 games in a row. We've now lost 4 straight already.
A lot of that is pretty lame and childish imo. Gimmicks does not equate to discipline. Of course when u lose everything gets questioned. On to saturday i suppose, i will do errands instead of blocking out time to listen to the game. Sad really.
Bearwave
High Tide

53 K's in 5 games :shock: But hey, all is well.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
JerseyWave
Riptide

Strikeouts has become an issue because the Head Coach has made it one by talking about it. He should keep his mouth shut and lead the team.
chain gang x man
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:Strikeouts has become an issue because the Head Coach has made it one by talking about it. He should keep his mouth shut and lead the team.
Maybe the greenbackers can hang the Ks for us striking out and they can get to use the gold K for the 10th K
chain gang x man
Swell

This team could have benefited from move live pitching during fall and spring practice instead of batters "connecting" with hand signals
The seniors were made to empty the trash containers in the locker room
This is something the freshmen should be doing
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Strikeouts has become an issue because the Head Coach has made it one by talking about it. He should keep his mouth shut and lead the team.
Maybe the greenbackers can hang the Ks for us striking out and they can get to use the gold K for the 10th K
Lol. I caught a little of the LSU game tonight and Lang had 12 K's after 5 innings. He struck out 4 guys in one inning. Something rarely done.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bearwave
High Tide

Watched Baylor-South Alabama on line tonight. Bears closer struck out final 2 batters with tying run at second. 3-2 BU!
sader24
Tsunami

TPS is correct. I didn't want to post anything until we saw some results, but I talked to a baseball alum a month ago who is still tuned into the Athletic Department and he told me a month ago he heard the new head coach has been a disaster so far. Asked him how he knew before any games were played and he just said he was pissing off all the players and worried about mundane BS that had nothing to do with baseball. His exact words were "He's fu**ing up the whole program." Maybe all this stuff works in the long run, I don't know but baseball has never been a sport where that type of BS is really necessary or even beneficial. Baseball teams play better when they are having fun and like each other and their coach. I still say and did say passing on Cannizaro was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us and a Rich Rod level mistake except Andy was even more of a slam dunk here and would've stayed longer. As usual we are stupid. The energy he would've injected into this program combined with his passion for Tulane and the fact that he's just flat out good made it an easy hire, but I assume Dannen's ego and desire to make it his dept with his guys got in the way.
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
A lot of that is pretty lame and childish imo. Gimmicks does not equate to discipline. Of course when u lose everything gets questioned. On to saturday i suppose, i will do errands instead of blocking out time to listen to the game. Sad really.
It's so stupid. Not that it's costing us games but the only effect it can have on the players is a negative one. The second I saw the team on opening day all clean shaven and everyone with the socks up, I knew it was some dumb rules Jewett implemented. They're stupid.

Another dumb thing: pinch hitting for your 3 hole hitter(Dehart) in the 9th inning of a 3 run game with a RISP because he K'd 3 times that day.
chain gang x man
Swell

sader24 wrote:TPS is correct. I didn't want to post anything until we saw some results, but I talked to a baseball alum a month ago who is still tuned into the Athletic Department and he told me a month ago he heard the new head coach has been a disaster so far. Asked him how he knew before any games were played and he just said he was pissing off all the players and worried about mundane BS that had nothing to do with baseball. His exact words were "He's fu**ing up the whole program." Maybe all this stuff works in the long run, I don't know but baseball has never been a sport where that type of BS is really necessary or even beneficial. Baseball teams play better when they are having fun and like each other and their coach. I still say and did say passing on Cannizaro was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us and a Rich Rod level mistake except Andy was even more of a slam dunk here and would've stayed longer. As usual we are stupid. The energy he would've injected into this program combined with his passion for Tulane and the fact that he's just flat out good made it an easy hire, but I assume Dannen's ego and desire to make it his dept with his guys got in the way.
You are not the first person to report problems with the morale on the team
It's been whispered around since fall ball started. Everyone wanted to see how it transferred to the field.
Next year coach has 23 new players coming and he can teach them how to point their feet for the national anthem and how to point to each other after a hit and but just let these seniors relax and enjoy their last year
arkhou02
High Tide

This past week the team was suppose to practice Wednesday. Two hours was spent on a power point about how to act in the airport, the hotel, and the opposing field. We didn't practice Thursday because of flight issues. In effect, we practiced very little and did not hit live pitching. Come on, this is D1 baseball, not junior varsity.
Bearwave
High Tide

Wow, if all of that is true it's no wonder the results on the field are what they are. You have to play loose and enjoy it to do your best. 2 hours on etiquitte? I thought this was baseball not Mrs. Potter's finishing school.

The ticket folks have called me 3 times now asking why I didn't renew for the first time since the very early 80's. Each time I tell them Dannen should have hired Andy or Riser instead of going outside! BTW, Riser's Lions beat Rice 8-4 last night at Rice!
msdos
Swell

sader24 wrote:TPS is correct. I didn't want to post anything until we saw some results, but I talked to a baseball alum a month ago who is still tuned into the Athletic Department and he told me a month ago he heard the new head coach has been a disaster so far. Asked him how he knew before any games were played and he just said he was pissing off all the players and worried about mundane BS that had nothing to do with baseball. His exact words were "He's fu**ing up the whole program." Maybe all this stuff works in the long run, I don't know but baseball has never been a sport where that type of BS is really necessary or even beneficial. Baseball teams play better when they are having fun and like each other and their coach. I still say and did say passing on Cannizaro was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us and a Rich Rod level mistake except Andy was even more of a slam dunk here and would've stayed longer. As usual we are stupid. The energy he would've injected into this program combined with his passion for Tulane and the fact that he's just flat out good made it an easy hire, but I assume Dannen's ego and desire to make it his dept with his guys got in the way.
Andy could have really been something special. Dannen has made me care less about Tulane athletics in a year than Dickson ever did.
DrBox
Riptide

This is the only hire of Dannen's I didn't like after I thought them through.
I also didn't like the seemingly requisite extension of Stockton once her contract comes within 3 years of lapsing...perpetual rewards for NITs is a Dickson move. That said, everyone makes bad hires. The question is do you admit it and fix it, or do you keep your head in the sand.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I have to admit, after I am beginning to question some of TD's decisions....at first I thought he was the correct hire, and maybe he is..but not hiring Andy or Riser has really but a few "???" in my mind...this hire, could rate right up there, with the Golly Wally English fiasco
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
cajunfanatico
Swell

I wasn't on-line much during last summer. Was Cannizaro a serious candidate? If not, there's not much doubt after reading his bio that he should have been.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Show Me
Tsunami

arkhou02 wrote:This past week the team was suppose to practice Wednesday. Two hours was spent on a power point about how to act in the airport, the hotel, and the opposing field. We didn't practice Thursday because of flight issues. In effect, we practiced very little and did not hit live pitching. Come on, this is D1 baseball, not junior varsity.
When you avg over 10 strikeouts a game you should be spending all the time allowed hitting live pitching. This is insane.
Baseball 101: "Fix what's broke not what works".
I guess Jewitt going to need three years to get his type of player in here.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
arkhou02 wrote:This past week the team was suppose to practice Wednesday. Two hours was spent on a power point about how to act in the airport, the hotel, and the opposing field. We didn't practice Thursday because of flight issues. In effect, we practiced very little and did not hit live pitching. Come on, this is D1 baseball, not junior varsity.
When you avg over 10 strikeouts a game you should be spending all the time allowed hitting live pitching. This is insane.
"Hey Coach...I struck Out...but I was outstanding at the Airport, and really classy at the Hotel" !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
"Hey Coach...I struck Out...but I was outstanding at the Airport, and really classy at the Hotel" !!!
Love it GNut! We need some levity here!
And for those bad boy Greenies we have on the team don't forget to remove your guns from your carry-on's before boarding. ;)
On the bright side we're 5-0 winning anthems!
chain gang x man
Swell

Show Me wrote:
Although the HC is ultimately responsible for everything, Coach Jones has to be held responsible also he is the "hitting" coach
What has he done to help these guys recognize the pitches.
Let's spend less time on power point and more time analyzing their swing and seeing live pitching
wavemania
Surge

As of now, Dannen is as bad as RD. So far his 3 major hires are all duds in their first season. So far NONE of them have local ties to get local players. The results speak for themselves. As for Lisa, she is the only one to survive the worst period in Tuane sports history. And she still gets her ladies to have winning records and they all graduate. She probably could use a better recruiter to get the best athletes from the area- Kalami Brown would have this team in the top 20. This Jewett hire sounds like shades of Scelfo with his first year screwing up the Srs.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Dannen screwed this hire up. The players are miserable under Jewett. This is just so frustrating as Dannen clearly passed on the obvious hire b/c of his ego. I like many of you was extremely impressed with Dannen at first. Now it's become apparent he's just a bunch of hot air. All glitz and glammer no substance.
chain gang x man
Swell

Mandeville Wave wrote:Dannen screwed this hire up. The players are miserable under Jewett. This is just so frustrating as Dannen clearly passed on the obvious hire b/c of his ego. I like many of you was extremely impressed with Dannen at first. Now it's become apparent he's just a bunch of hot air. All glitz and glammer no substance.
Dannen is not a baseball guy
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

What i am surprised at is no one has really mentioned Troy Dannen and baseball until this thread. We usually have 2 major non conference away series which helps our RPI drastically.....this year we only have 1 (UCSB) which is major problem and have like a record amount of homes games. If it was up to him i think we'd play all of our games at home since they don't cost us money.

Also heard at opening weekend Dannen did not show to the baseball banquet, and this team has not received there conference championship rings from last year. ECU was honored at halftime of there biggest football game with rings etc which is how most programs do it for conference champions.

If football would've won a conference championship last year, Dannen would've thrown a parade. He gives zero respect to baseball.

Remember a couple of months back when D1Baseball Kendall Rogers tweeted about bad AD at tulane and baseball.....now we know why. Kendall Rogers tweeted - "Rick Jones should be celebrated at Tulane, without a doubt. Joke otherwise … but nothing surprises me with the current admin at TU."

This is all hear say and I may be completely wrong because i'm no where near the fire, but this is what is going around the stands and alumni.