Wave falls to SELA 8-5 in baseball tonight

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

First pitch 6pm SELA is 1-1 (Beat Hofstra lost to Murray St)
The Lions are scheduled to start sophomore left-hander Payton Robinson and Tulane will counter with right-hander Chase Solesky.

SELA and ULL were tied 4-4 last night in the bottom of the 11th inning with 2 outs when heavy rain came pouring in late to halt the game. It will be continued 3/29 in Hammond. The Lions went through a few pitchers this weekend in the Tangi Classic and last night so they are deep into their staff. Should bode well for our hitters if we can get into their pen.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:First pitch 6pm SELA is 1-1 (Beat Hofstra lost to Murray St)
The Lions are scheduled to start sophomore left-hander Payton Robinson and Tulane will counter with right-hander Chase Solesky.

SELA and ULL were tied 4-4 last night in the bottom of the 11th inning with 2 outs when heavy rain came pouring in late to halt the game. It will be continued 3/29 in Hammond. The Lions went through a few pitchers this weekend in the Tangi Classic and last night so they are deep into their staff. Should bode well for our hitters if we can get into their pen.
Let's show our support before the team heads to Cali for a weekend series against UCSB
Leave early and grab a bite at Mandeville Seafood and support one of our sponsors
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Opening a 5 game road trip:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tough choice: go to Hammond for baseball or watch men's basketball continue to improve against ECU at Devlin. BTW, an amusing factoid for those opting for basketball: ECU hates being called Eastern Carolina. This seems to be similar to the disdain felt by the folks in Lafayette when referred to as ULaLa!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:Tough choice: go to Hammond for baseball or watch men's basketball continue to improve against ECU at Devlin. BTW, an amusing factoid for those opting for basketball: ECU hates being called Eastern Carolina. This seems to be similar to the disdain felt by the folks in Lafayette when referred to as ULaLa!
I call the school in Lafayette... La Laf ( French, for the "big laugh")
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
cajunfanatico
Swell

Cajun hitting right now is making everyone look like an ace, and yes, SELA has thrown a lot of arms the last few days.

Good luck tonight Wave. What's the forecast at gametime?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
cajunfanatico
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:Tough choice: go to Hammond for baseball or watch men's basketball continue to improve against ECU at Devlin. BTW, an amusing factoid for those opting for basketball: ECU hates being called Eastern Carolina. This seems to be similar to the disdain felt by the folks in Lafayette when referred to as ULaLa!
I call the school in Lafayette... La Laf ( French, for the "big laugh")
Just call us what ULM calls us.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
BC Wave
Swell

What is a "Louisiano"?
My bad. Their "a" looked like "o." To me!
RobertM320
Green Wave

They only put it that way because there's not enough room to put - Lafayette up there as well. Or, it could be one of those scrolling signs and the photo was taken when only the Louisiana was showing. Wouldn't put it past CF to do that.
Last edited by RobertM320 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Another loss.
Jaxwave
Swell

Tulane athletics is really hard to get excited about. Big, big dynamic changes are needed to change the accurate public perception that Tulane doesn't care one iota about competing in athletics. They are perfectly happy to fight for the cellar and cash conference checks. I really wish the AAC would put them on notice to compete or face ejection from conference.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Same old story. 11 strikeouts tonight facing bad midweek pitching. SELA hit our bad midweek pitching like they should. We lose 8-5 and are now 1-3 playing mediocre teams.
41 strikeouts in 4 games.
Meanwhile across the city UNO is 4-0 after beating LSU 11-8 and getting 14 hits.
McNeese beating UL Monroe 31-3 at Monroe.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Same old story. 11 strikeouts tonight facing bad midweek pitching. Lose 8-5

We scored 5 runs. The offense wasn't really the problem tonight. Nor was Solesky. Bullpen was the problem. Not the strikeouts
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Same old story. 11 strikeouts tonight facing bad midweek pitching. Lose 8-5

We scored 5 runs. The offense wasn't really the problem tonight. Nor was Solesky. Bullpen was the problem. Not the strikeouts
5 runs vs midweek pitching is nothing. Neither team had much pitching. They just put the ball in play and we didn't. We're playing with a bunch of Sr's. Most that have been starting since they were Freshman. We either a Hr or K not enough in between. Something is not right. We could easily lose again this weekend and come home 1-6.
We should be 4-0 right now.
Soleski pitched well gave up two unearned runs and Spoon turned an out into a double in RF. That's why you have to make contact. They turned those two mistakes into a bunch of runs. When you strikeout that doesn't happen.
It's early but I'm concerned.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

5 runs vs midweek pitching is terrible. Neither team had much pitching. They just put the ball in play and we didn't. We're playing with a bunch of Sr's. Most that have been starting since they were Freshman. We either Hr or K not enough in between. Something is not right. We could easily lose again this weekend and come home 1-6.
We should be 4-0 right now. I'm concerned.
Soleski pitched well gave up two unearned runs and Spoon turned an out into a double in RF. That's why you have to make contact. They turned those two mistakes into a bunch of runs. When you strikeout that doesn't happen.
5 runs against midweek pitching is terrible? No. You're wrong. Not in the BBCOR era. Coastal Carolina played 11 midweek games last year. Scored 53 runs. 4.8 runs per midweek game. One of the best hitting teams in the country.

We should all be concerned. The bullpen is awful. Apparently Massey hasn't been right for a while. Could be in for a long year.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

5 runs vs midweek pitching is terrible. Neither team had much pitching. They just put the ball in play and we didn't. We're playing with a bunch of Sr's. Most that have been starting since they were Freshman. We either Hr or K not enough in between. Something is not right. We could easily lose again this weekend and come home 1-6.
5 runs against midweek pitching is terrible? No. You're wrong. Not in the BBCOR era. Coastal Carolina played 11 midweek games last year. Scored 53 runs. 4.8 runs per midweek game. One of the best hitting teams in the country.

We should all be concerned. The bullpen is awful. Apparently Massey hasn't been right for a while. Could be in for a long year.
First off that's comparing apples and oranges.
How many times did Coastal strikeout? I bet a lot less then we did. We are not going to win many games striking out 10 times a game. My point is we are going to struggle if we continue to strikeout this much. We haven't even faced any good pitching yet. This is starting to feel like basketball all over again.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

How many times did Coastal strikeout? I bet a lot less then we did. We are not going to win many games striking out 10 times a game. My point is we are going to struggle if we continue to strikeout this much. We haven't even faced any good pitching yet.
It's not comparing apples to oranges. You set the standard, you said 5 runs a game in the midweek was terrible. I showed you that last years national championship team, also a great hitting team, scored under 5 a game in the midweek. Then you moved the goalposts. Now you want to know how often they struck out.
You're not going to like the answer. They struck out almost as much as us last year. 8.3 K's per game for Tulane. 7.8 for Coastal.
For good measure Jewett's Vandy team struck out more than Tulane last year.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

How many times did Coastal strikeout? I bet a lot less then we did. We are not going to win many games striking out 10 times a game. My point is we are going to struggle if we continue to strikeout this much. We haven't even faced any good pitching yet.
It's not comparing apples to oranges. You set the standard, you said 5 runs a game in the midweek was terrible. I showed you that last years national championship team, also a great hitting team, scored under 5 a game in the midweek. Then you moved the goalposts. Now you want to know how often they struck out.
You're not going to like the answer. They struck out almost as much as us last year. 8.3 K's per game for Tulane. 7.8 for Coastal.
All I know is they won the national championship and we didn't. My point is if this Tulane team continues to K 10 times a game against mediocre pitching we're not going to be the next Coastal Carolina. Our opponents have struckout 26 times to our 41.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

All I know is they won the national championship and we didn't. My point is if this Tulane team continues to K 10 times a game against mediocre pitching we're not going to be the next Coastal Carolina.
They were a better team than we were at the end of the season. But it had nothing to do with guys limiting their strikeouts. Strikeouts for hitters are overblown.
arkhou02
High Tide

We scored enough runs to win. Our team is built on power. Same as last year. So many pro teams are built the same way and strike out at an astronomical rate. The difference is pitching and a new staff. We are missing Gibbs, Massey, Simms, Rankin, etc. Merril was coming out of the bullpen. Allen and Pierce failed miserably when it came to recruiting pitching. And PITCHING is the game. We hit and score enough to win. To insinuate otherwise is not correct.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

arkhou02 wrote:We scored enough runs to win. Our team is built on power. Same as last year. So many pro teams are built the same way and strike out at an astronomical rate. The difference is pitching and a new staff. We are missing Gibbs, Massey, Simms, Rankin, etc. Merril was coming out of the bullpen. Allen and Pierce failed miserably when it came to recruiting pitching. And PITCHING is the game. We hit and score enough to win. To insinuate otherwise is not correct.
Army scored 7 to our 4.
SELA scored 8 to our 5.
Obviously we didn't score enough runs to win the last 3 games against bad pitching. Our opponents have scored more runs against our weak pitching then we did against theirs. LSU scored 25 runs in 3 games. And UNO scored 11 tonight against LSU. McNeese St scored 32 runs tonight.
Lastly this is not pro ball.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

I went back and checked why CC really won. They were 43-2 when leading after 5 innings. And an incredible 51-1 when leading after 8 innings. So it was their awesome bullpen pitching. That's why they could score under 5 runs and win. So let's keep to Tulane and not compare us to a national champion because that's what I meant by comparing apples to oranges.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bearwave
High Tide

Strikeouts aren't overblown, especially when men are on base. A groundout or flyout that advances the runner is 1000X better than a strikeout. We have too many feast or famine hitters. Every time you put the ball in play something good can happen. Failing to make contact or watch third strikes do nothing for you.
Pitching is key in this era, CC had that right now we certainly don't. Solesky did well but when they went to the pen all heck breaks loose. If you can't pitch well, you better hit real consistently (have men on when the once in a while HR hitters hit one) and play great defense. There is time to turn around the trend, if not Turchin will look like Devlin did last night.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em