Wave falls to SELA 8-5 in baseball tonight

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Obviously, the early season issues, have to do with the facilities !!!!

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Wash, rinse, repeat. When does football start?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:I see we have some Moneyball guys on here. Here's a Bill James stat for you. Runs Created. There a few different formulas for it as it's been refined over the years. The stat does what it sounds like it does, it measures how many runs a guy created over the course of the season.
The guy who created the most runs for Tulane last year was Hunter Hope. He also led the team in K's. Set the school record that I believe he held from the year before. Even if you want to make up for all the time Alemais and Williams missed due to injury and the other games where guys just sat, only Williams created more runs per plate appearance than Hope. And only by a decimal point. .1543 to .1541
Take your knowledge elsewhere. We need to put the ball on the ground and not strikeout... :lol: . Thats what this whole board says that doesnt have a clue about sabermetrics. There is a reason pierce didnt care about the Ks last year and we won a conference championship with these same players.

Its amazing how fast some of these posters on this board turn on these players, especially since these players are the only ones that won a conference championship at tulane in the last 10 years. These are the exact same players, give it time. Maybe its not these players, maybe its the coaches? These coaches will figure our pitching out. When they do, we will be back in thick of things as we go into conference play. But right now, our bullpen cost us 2 games and our sunday starter that issues 6 walks and 1 hbp in 3 innings cost us 1....that equals 3 losses for some of you.
1) You are over simplifying sabermetrics. We have a .293 OBP btw.

2) Our head coach has repeatedly said the strikeouts are a problem, I guess he is clueless as well? So much for those national championships as an assistant.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:I see we have some Moneyball guys on here. Here's a Bill James stat for you. Runs Created. There a few different formulas for it as it's been refined over the years. The stat does what it sounds like it does, it measures how many runs a guy created over the course of the season.
The guy who created the most runs for Tulane last year was Hunter Hope. He also led the team in K's. Set the school record that I believe he held from the year before. Even if you want to make up for all the time Alemais and Williams missed due to injury and the other games where guys just sat, only Williams created more runs per plate appearance than Hope. And only by a decimal point. .1543 to .1541
Take your knowledge elsewhere. We need to put the ball on the ground and not strikeout... :lol: . Thats what this whole board says that doesnt have a clue about sabermetrics. There is a reason pierce didnt care about the Ks last year and we won a conference championship with these same players.

Its amazing how fast some of these posters on this board turn on these players, especially since these players are the only ones that won a conference championship at tulane in the last 10 years. These are the exact same players, give it time. Maybe its not these players, maybe its the coaches? These coaches will figure our pitching out. When they do, we will be back in thick of things as we go into conference play. But right now, our bullpen cost us 2 games and our sunday starter that issues 6 walks and 1 hbp in 3 innings cost us 1....that equals 3 losses for some of you.

2) Our head coach has repeatedly said the strikeouts are a problem, I guess he is clueless as well? So much for those national championships as an assistant.
so much for Pierces National championship then who never ever mentioned our strikeouts as a problem last year on our way to the conference championship.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RollWaveRoll wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:

so much for Pierces National championship then who never ever mentioned our strikeouts as a problem last year on our way to the conference championship.
Two minute search: Illinois game 3, David Pierce:

"Today, we just didn't put the ball in play when we had guys in scoring position, and that was the biggest killer for us"

We also had a .354 OBP in 2016, which makes up for the K's.

If you are going to K, you need to draw walks. It's not just the K's it the bad ABs where we don't work the count and get deep into pitch counts. Not to mention the competition is so-so at this point.

I do agree it's early and baseball is an individual sport with lots of peaks and valleys.

Let's get this turned around this weekend!
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:

1)I'm not oversimplifying anything. Hope led the team in runs created. 3rd on the team in slugging and OPS. He's one of our best hitters. People think he sucks because he K's more than everyone but they are wrong. Willsey was 2nd on the team in K's last year. 2nd in slugging, OBP and OPS.

Yes. Through 4 games our OBP sucks. Its a small sample size. I'm not too worried about it yet.

2) Winning a national championship as an assistant or even a head coach doesn't preclude you from being wrong. Curtis Johnson was wrong a few times, IIRC. Dave Dickerson too.
Pierce didn't see the K's as the end of the world. He may not have loved them but he probably complained less about them all year than Jewett has in 4 games.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:

1)I'm not oversimplifying anything. Hope led the team in runs created. 3rd on the team in slugging and OPS. He's one of our best hitters. People think he sucks because he K's more than everyone but they are wrong. Willsey was 2nd on the team in K's last year. 2nd in slugging, OBP and OPS.

Yes. Through 4 games our OBP sucks. Its a small sample size. I'm not too worried about it yet.

2) Winning a national championship as an assistant or even a head coach doesn't preclude you from being wrong. Curtis Johnson was wrong a few times, IIRC. Dave Dickerson too.
Pierce didn't see the K's as the end of the world. He may not have loved them but he probably complained less about them all year than Jewett has in 4 games.
1) The sluggers on the team stiking out is fine, it's the other players that are worrisome.

2) Pierce complained less, I agree. However, that's cause they were winning. Lose games and you need to figure out why. Especially when you are striking out/losing against average pitching. My POV is that opponents, even these lesser one's, are adjusting their approach cause they know our hitters chase too many pitches. Eventually it catches up to you especially considering that now a days there is more info and tape to study on college baseball.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I hope Jewett agrees but I get the feeling Hope will be the first guy benched for strikeouts