East Carolina Applies to Big East

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

Not really sure this is a great move at this time as it seems to me at some point the Big East is done. UCONN, Rutgers, WVA, and Louisville all want out.

JTLiuzza
Swell

sader24 wrote:Not really sure this is a great move at this time as it seems to me at some point the Big East is done. UCONN, Rutgers, WVA, and Louisville all want out.
According to NBC sports this is the 27th time they've applied for BE membership. :shock:

"That reportedly didn’t stop the Pirates from applying though for the 27th time."

Link:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... orce-navy/
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
sader24
Tsunami

If Big 12 stabilizes and ACC adds UCONN and Rutgers. The old CUSA might be back:
East
C.Florida
S.Florida
East Carolina
UAB
Navy
West Virginia
Louisville
Cincinnati

West
USM
Tulane
Memphis
TCU
SMU
Houston
Rice
Tulsa

I don't really believe it'll happen, but it would be a very solid football conference. I think the Big 12 will go after BYU. I think the ACC would like UCONN but I don't think they're ecstatic about Rutgers. I think the SEC liked TAM but I don't think they really want anyone else other than to make it an even 14. I think Texas is going to go out of its way to stabilize the Big 12. I think the Big 10 is happy where its at. West Virginia is in no man's land. The SEC doesn't want them, apparently the ACC doesn't want them. The Big 12 is a long way out there. They would need a Big 10 lifeline. It's anyone's guess what's next.
IM42lane
Swell

ECU has been trying for membership in the BE or ACC for years now. At this point, they probably have a standard annual mail-in form to send out to anyone they can think of to get into a BCS league.

They take a shot in the dark each year and hope that one time something will hit home. That is how they roll.

1ndabag wrote:
sader24 wrote:Not really sure this is a great move at this time as it seems to me at some point the Big East is done. UCONN, Rutgers, WVA, and Louisville all want out.
According to NBC sports this is the 27th time they've applied for BE membership. :shock:

"That reportedly didn’t stop the Pirates from applying though for the 27th time."

Link:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... orce-navy/
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Robert1969
Riptide

IM42lane wrote:ECU has been trying for membership in the BE or ACC for years now. At this point, they probably have a standard annual mail-in form to send out to anyone they can think of to get into a BCS league.

They take a shot in the dark each year and hope that one time something will hit home. That is how they roll.
Trying 27 times is better than not trying at all. I think ECU deserves it. They certainly have the fan base for it.
IM42lane
Swell

This is true. It is better to step up to the plate, take your whiffs, and fail rather than not try at all.

ECU does have a good fan base, but is it big enough for a major conference to let them in.

Robert1969 wrote:
IM42lane wrote:ECU has been trying for membership in the BE or ACC for years now. At this point, they probably have a standard annual mail-in form to send out to anyone they can think of to get into a BCS league.

Trying 27 times is better than not trying at all. I think ECU deserves it. They certainly have the fan base for it.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:If Big 12 stabilizes and ACC adds UCONN and Rutgers. The old CUSA might be back:
East
C.Florida
S.Florida
East Carolina
UAB
Navy
West Virginia
Louisville
Cincinnati

West
USM
Tulane
Memphis
TCU
SMU
Houston
Rice
Tulsa

I don't really believe it'll happen, but it would be a very solid football conference. I think the Big 12 will go after BYU. I think the ACC would like UCONN but I don't think they're ecstatic about Rutgers. I think the SEC liked TAM but I don't think they really want anyone else other than to make it an even 14. I think Texas is going to go out of its way to stabilize the Big 12. I think the Big 10 is happy where its at. West Virginia is in no man's land. The SEC doesn't want them, apparently the ACC doesn't want them. The Big 12 is a long way out there. They would need a Big 10 lifeline. It's anyone's guess what's next.
Now that would be a solid football league deserving of a BCS spot IMO.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

IM42lane wrote:This is true. It is better to step up to the plate, take your whiffs, and fail rather than not try at all.

ECU does have a good fan base, but is it big enough for a major conference to let them in.

It's about 46,000 a game which is about the size of Miami, and the entire Big East average. I'm also certain they would find the funds to expand their football stadium if they moved up to a BCS conference.
Robert1969
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:If Big 12 stabilizes and ACC adds UCONN and Rutgers. The old CUSA might be back:
East
C.Florida
S.Florida
East Carolina
UAB
Navy
West Virginia
Louisville
Cincinnati

West
USM
Tulane
Memphis
TCU
SMU
Houston
Rice
Tulsa

Now that would be a solid football league deserving of a BCS spot IMO.
The east in this conference would be a tough division. I am not so sure about the west here. TCU, Houston, Tulsa look good, SMU could creep up there, and if Tulane turns around that could strengthen things. But pretty much if this conference gets a BCS AQ its strength would improve after a few years of recruiting. And nothing would piss LSU off more than Tulane being in a BCS conference.