Baseball Prediction Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well the season opens Friday night so let's have some fun. Expectations were so low for basketball that I don't even think we did one for it. This years team returns 6 proven position players on the positive side of the ledger. The two positions that need to be filled are the two most critical, SS and catcher. as they say in baseball you are only as good as you are up the middle. We not only lost our veterans there but they were two of the best in the country at their positions. To make matters worse at catcher all of those trying to fill that spot had arm injuries that prevented them from even being able to throw the ball back to the pitcher in Fall Ball.

Pitching wise if we stay healthy we should have one of the best weekend starting rotations in the country. After that though we only have on reliever, Bjorgjeld , who pitched any meaningful innings last year. So we need to come up w/a midweek starter, a closer and at least three other relievers to form a bullpen. In comments made recently by Jewett he may use whoever would be the midweek starter on weekend relief if necessary thus going Johnny wholestaff against our tough midweek slate. Merrill, Massey and France will be the big three. I think Solesky will get the midweek nod. Ted Andrews has been noted a lot recently as the first one to get a shot as the closer. He is a grad transfer from Furman. Issa has been mentioned a few times by TJ as a reliever showing some promise. I think you'll also see Schnake come out of the pen.

My guess at the early line-up is :

Rowland,DH
Willsey, 2B
Kaplan, RF
Williams,1B
Montalbano,C
Witherspoon,CF,
Hope,3B
Dehart,LF
S. Gozzo,SS

As for record I'll go w/ 35-21 and 14-10. Hopefully we squeeze into a Regional.

Good luck to this years team.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
BC Wave
Swell

35-21

15-9 conference
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

26-30
13-11AAC
No Regional
Slow start new coach
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

38-18

Supers
GreenLantern
Riptide

Since this is only my first year with baseball season tickets, I can only predict that I will have a much better time than I did with this year's football and men's basketball season tickets.
chain gang x man
Swell

38-18
16-8
I agree with your lineup
But Brown and Dehart will probably rotate according to pitching matchups
I disagree with you concerning catching for fall ball you are correct that Jeremy could not throw the ball back to the pitcher in fact he only caught bullpen and someone else threw the ball back for him. Gozzo was able to throw, Singley was the other catcher that threw the ball back underhanded. Singley has since transferred
RobertM320
Green Wave

39-17
17-7 in conference win regular season title again but not AAC Tourney

Host and win regional, lose in Supers
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

RPI at #274. I know it's early but boy that's some low. West Virginia #28 at this moment.
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/rpi-live
arkhou02
High Tide

Mid-week games - who would you pitch?
Profoundwizard
Swell

arkhou02 wrote:Mid-week games - who would you pitch?
Solesky did fine last time
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Warren Nolan prediction 5-50 and 0-24 in the AAC

Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

When your RPI is 264 and your SOS is 35, you'd expect that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:When your RPI is 264 and your SOS is 35, you'd expect that.
Yep. But that's our predicted RPI. We're currently 275. Look to the top right of the pic.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote:Since this is only my first year with baseball season tickets, I can only predict that I will have a much better time than I did with this year's football and men's basketball season tickets.
Well, so far I have a lock on the worst prediction.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:When your RPI is 264 and your SOS is 35, you'd expect that.
Yep. But that's our predicted RPI. We're currently 275. Look to the top right of the pic.
Right. My point was, if you're 5-50 against a #35 schedule, you'd expect an RPI something like 264. And to be honest, any baseball RPI that has us even in three digits is unacceptable.
Show Me
Tsunami

16-40 Overall
4-20 AAC
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:16-40 Overall
4-20 AAC
Hey! You can't wait until we're 1-6 and THEN make a prediction!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
Show Me wrote:16-40 Overall
4-20 AAC
Hey! You can't wait until we're 1-6 and THEN make a prediction!
Yep.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think the team gets hot at some point, and we finish 30-26, 12-12 in conference.

Yeah, I'm late. :(
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
sader24
Tsunami

I have to imagine Jewett can coach, it seems like this particular team isn't built for his style and hasn't been coached the way he likes to coach. I'd have to think at some point he starts to figure it out this year. I think 28-30 wins is still likely.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I still think we can do well and get to a regional. I think both the team and the fans need to nut up and quit whining, there's still a lot of season left.
God Bless Everyone!
Profoundwizard
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:I still think we can do well and get to a regional. I think both the team and the fans need to nut up and quit whining, there's still a lot of season left.
It's possible but unlikely. Have to go on a great run or win the conference tournament. I haven't seen the team whining. Unless you mean Jewett whining about strikeouts. Fans can whine as much as we want.
Profoundwizard
Swell

sader24 wrote:I have to imagine Jewett can coach, it seems like this particular team isn't built for his style and hasn't been coached the way he likes to coach. I'd have to think at some point he starts to figure it out this year. I think 28-30 wins is still likely.
28 wins is embarrassing.
Maybe he's just a good assistant coach and not cut out to be the man in charge.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:I still think we can do well and get to a regional. I think both the team and the fans need to nut up and quit whining, there's still a lot of season left.
It's possible but unlikely. Have to go on a great run or win the conference tournament. I haven't seen the team whining. Unless you mean Jewett whining about strikeouts. Fans can whine as much as we want.
Maybe it's hearsay or maybe it's apocryphal but there have definitely been rumblings about the team's displeasure about Jewett's practice habits. Fuck that, he's the coach. Shut up and do your best.

Absolutely the fans can whine as much as they want. It still accomplishes nothing.
God Bless Everyone!
sader24
Tsunami

I will say a 2 hour powerpoint on how to behave in an airport for a team that seemingly has never had any public behavior problems sounds totally insane. If that is in fact true.