Where are the bells and whisltes for Rick Jones at Tulane?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wavemania
Surge

Great article by Ed Daniels in the Clarion Herald. Pathetic from this administration, but nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to Tulane.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The article has been discussed under the former players section...Men and Women of Tulane
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

wavemania wrote:Great article by Ed Daniels in the Clarion Herald.
wm it's like an unwritten internet law (OK maybe just a courtesy) that when you mention a "Great article" in a Forum you provide a link to said "Great article."

Sure, anyone can just look it up for themselves but then said Forum doesn't get credit for the referral.

Put simply, if you want to help keep Steve in business then include a link in your post.

I'll do it for you this time: http://clarionherald.info/clarion/index ... -at-tulane
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There are a lot of things to agree with in the article but one thing that is dead wrong is when he says it was classy of Bertman to ask to address the team. That was all ego on Bertman's part. That was Rick's time to address his team. He never said so publicly but privately he did. What was classy was that it was Tulane fans that gave Bertman his last standing O as he walked off as all the LSU assholes had left even though they knew that was it for him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tufinal4
High Tide

Rick hated LSU as badly as any of us and rightly so. Skip Bertman had and has an ego. But I'm not sure that was an ego move. He had just lost his last game, ego had nothing to do with it. My understanding was Skip asked to simply talk privately to the Greenies about what to expect, and that the media stepped in uninvited and made a spectacle out of it. I think that is what upset Rick about it, that the media focused on Skip's talk instead of his team's accomplishment.

Bertman always had a soft spot for Tulane. He agreed to a 10 year home and home football series to bring back the rivalry. He was ripped by Baton Rouge LSU money people for agreeing to it, and the current jackass dismantled it. The excuses for doing so were completely fabricated. Football commitment level, competitiveness etc had nothing to do with it. LSU Baton Rouge boosters with an abiding hatred / jealousy toward Tulane, with a fully complicit Joe Alleva, put the knife in it.
Wave755
Tsunami

tufinal4 wrote:
Bertman always had a soft spot for Tulane. He agreed to a 10 year home and home football series to bring back the rivalry.
Bertman's daughter is a Tulane graduate.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tufinal4 wrote:Rick hated LSU as badly as any of us and rightly so. Skip Bertman had and has an ego. But I'm not sure that was an ego move. He had just lost his last game, ego had nothing to do with it. My understanding was Skip asked to simply talk privately to the Greenies about what to expect, and that the media stepped in uninvited and made a spectacle out of it. I think that is what upset Rick about it, that the media focused on Skip's talk instead of his team's accomplishment.

Bertman always had a soft spot for Tulane. He agreed to a 10 year home and home football series to bring back the rivalry. He was ripped by Baton Rouge LSU money people for agreeing to it, and the current jackass dismantled it. The excuses for doing so were completely fabricated. Football commitment level, competitiveness etc had nothing to do with it. LSU Baton Rouge boosters with an abiding hatred / jealousy toward Tulane, with a fully complicit Joe Alleva, put the knife in it.
I spent a little time with Coach Bertman at the 2002 Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame induction in Natchitoches. My late dad was inducted with the group that included Skip. I spoke to him about the Tulane playing LSU in football and other sports. He told me his goal was to make every school in the state of Louisiana a better program. He felt that if LSU would play their in-state schools more frequently that could possibly happen. He also wanted to keep the money in Louisiana. He told me he always wanted to do what was best for "Louisiana". I guess LSU fans didn't want him to put the state above LSU and he got flack for doing the 10 game Tulane series. (To my knowledge LSU still owes us a home game). He's always been a great friend to Tulane. He's one LSU guy I'd pull for and completely respect. Complete opposite of Joe Dean and Joe Alleva.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tufinal4 wrote:Rick hated LSU as badly as any of us and rightly so. Skip Bertman had and has an ego. But I'm not sure that was an ego move. He had just lost his last game, ego had nothing to do with it. My understanding was Skip asked to simply talk privately to the Greenies about what to expect, and that the media stepped in uninvited and made a spectacle out of it. I think that is what upset Rick about it, that the media focused on Skip's talk instead of his team's accomplishment.

We agree he had a soft spot and did right byTulane in other ways. His daughters went to Tulane which would account for that. We'll have to agree to disagree on his addressing the team. That was Rick's team and his moment. Bertman trampled on it. In fact RJ ended up not really saying anything. As I noted he made no bones about he he felt about Bertman's moves in private.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Rick Jones could have easily said no when Bertman wanted to address his team, or had him do it after he spent time with them, on the way to the bus, or something similar. It did not have to happen before Jones had his time to relish the moment with his team. A Hall of Fame Coach knows how to say no, or structure the moment so it best fits his wishes.

Getting back on topic, it's not too late to get Rick Jones into the Tulane HOF. I'm furious that the current administration chose to put the worst AD in the history of Tulane (if not D1) into the HOF ahead of someone whose accomplishments are real.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

Tulane's website or social media made no mention of RJ's recent HOF induction. That's either done intentional or someone's irresponsible and not doing their job. Either way it was right for Ed Daniels and D1 Baseball to call out the current Tulane administration. I don't want to hear one word out of Tulane complaining about lack of media coverage. They bring it on themselves by doing stuff like this. Very embarrassing.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:Tulane's website or social media made no mention of RJ's recent HOF induction. That's either done intentional or someone's irresponsible and not doing their job. Either way it was right for Ed Daniels and D1 Baseball to call out the current Tulane administration. I don't want to hear one word out of Tulane complaining about lack of media coverage. They bring it on themselves by doing stuff like this. Very embarrassing.
I think it has more to do with Roger Dunaway leaving, and either not filling the position, or the new person not being clued in. Either way, not bringing attention to the Louisiana HOF induction is just plain wrong. But the ABCA induction was covered by Tulane:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2016/7/ ... h=baseball
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Rick Jones could have easily said no when Bertman wanted to address his team, or had him do it after he spent time with them, on the way to the bus, or something similar. It did not have to happen before Jones had his time to relish the moment with his team. A Hall of Fame Coach knows how to say no, or structure the moment so it best fits his wishes.

Getting back on topic, it's not too late to get Rick Jones into the Tulane HOF. I'm furious that the current administration chose to put the worst AD in the history of Tulane (if not D1) into the HOF ahead of someone whose accomplishments are real.
He was put on the spot w/media in tow and felt he couldn't say no. That's how it went down .
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Show Me wrote:Tulane's website or social media made no mention of RJ's recent HOF induction. That's either done intentional or someone's irresponsible and not doing their job. Either way it was right for Ed Daniels and D1 Baseball to call out the current Tulane administration. I don't want to hear one word out of Tulane complaining about lack of media coverage. They bring it on themselves by doing stuff like this. Very embarrassing.
I think it has more to do with Roger Dunaway leaving, and either not filling the position, or the new person not being clued in. Either way, not bringing attention to the Louisiana HOF induction is just plain wrong. But the ABCA induction was covered by Tulane:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2016/7/ ... h=baseball
Hopefully. Because Roger was employed in July 2016 and did that ABCA piece. I think it would be smart to at least have someone on the staff that knows a little Tulane history. It wouldn't take much effort to get up to speed.