NFL Chargers will move to a "high school" stadium. How can that be?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
lurker123
Swell

The NFL Chargers are moving to a "High School" stadium for a few years. I wonder if it will impact their ability to sell tickets and sign players? Now I'm getting out of the way............

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1845 ... -san-diego

Per ESPN: "The Chargers will play their home games the next two seasons at the 30,000-seat StubHub Center in Carson, California. They are promoting it as a "one-of-a-kind product" that gives fans an opportunity to be "up close and personal" with players. There is also the belief that it helps differentiate them from the Rams, who often appeared to be playing before a half-empty stadium at cavernous Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum."

I sort of feel like Flounder, "Oh boy, is this great!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZdeg_fL-I

Aberzombie1892
Swell

Those 30,000 seats are going to be extraordinarily expensive.

EDIT: As for the Yulman jab, Tulane has much bigger problems that affect recruiting than its stadium.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Didn't know SC/RD bought th chargers.

As far as recruiting Yulman is as big a team problem as any.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Heard they were relocating to the Philippines and were going to be renamed the Manila Folders.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The Chargers are "moving home'....they started life as the LA Chargers...owned by Baron Hilton, who had just introduced his new credit card " Diners Club"...he wanted everyone to "Charge' their purchases...the original nickname "Chargers' has zero do with lightning bolts
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:Didn't know SC/RD bought th chargers.

Well, there are many examples of teams that have had great runs with Tulane level or worse stadiums (Boise State, Georgia Southern, San Jose State, Toledo, etc.), and those teams have had various spikes in recruiting, so it seems a little unreasonable to lay Tulane's recruiting (and on the field) failures on the size of the stadium.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Well, there are many examples of teams that have had great runs with Tulane level or worse stadiums (Boise State, Georgia Southern, San Jose State, Toledo, etc.), and those teams have had various spikes in recruiting, so it seems a little unreasonable to lay Tulane's recruiting (and on the field) failures on the size of the stadium.
when I win the Texas Lotto this Saturday I am buying Audubon Blvd and putting symbolic bloody Horse heads in front of each house
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
when I win the Texas Lotto this Saturday I am buying Audubon Blvd and putting symbolic bloody Horse heads in front of each house
https://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/ ... tto_Texas/
Est. Annuitized Jackpot for 01/14/2017 is:
$12.5 Million
Est. Cash Value
$8.57 Million
Have you checked New Orleans real estate lately? You aint buyin' Audubon Blvd for that anymore. On the bright side, you'll only need about three bloody horse heads, four tops.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
https://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/ ... tto_Texas/
Est. Annuitized Jackpot for 01/14/2017 is:
$12.5 Million
Est. Cash Value
$8.57 Million
Have you checked New Orleans real estate lately? You aint buyin' Audubon Blvd for that anymore. On the bright side, you'll only need about three bloody horse heads, four tops.
All I need is one property... I will rent to a few, whom the current residents feel are "undesirable" and property values will decrease..a few junk cars parked out front, with current tags and inspection so NOPD cannot do anything a couple of 4 wheelers in the front yards with sand jumps so they can be fun on the week ends and soon all will be mine !!!
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: All I need is one property... I will rent to a few, whom the current residents feel are "undesirable" and property values will decrease..a few junk cars parked out front, with current tags and inspection so NOPD cannot do anything a couple of 4 wheelers in the front yards with sand jumps so they can be fun on the week ends and soon all will be mine !!!
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Yea we want to be Toledo. The facilities are a joke. To not recognize it is to be part of the problem.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Yea we want to be Toledo. The facilities are a joke. To not recognize it is to be part of the problem.
No one said Toledo has good facilities. All that was said is that there are many G5 programs with Tulane level facilities that have had pretty good recruiting classes by G5 standards -and- good on the field success. Toledo's 2017 class is ranked #70, 2013 was #75, 2012 was #78, and 2011 was #74. If Toledo's facilities are as bad as you say they are, then Tulane's facilities are not an excuse for poor recruiting.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

All I know is an NFL team has enthusiastically chosen to play in a stadium that is literally Yulman's twin albeit on a temporary basis. Doing so it is passing on playing in one of the most famous stadiums in the world that is centrally located in L.A. because well it is likely to be half empty and half the fun. Chargers certainly don't think StubHub is a joke. They prefer a full intimate stadium for a better fan experience. They are betting their wallet on it. What a coincidence? Just like Tulane. Why play in the Dome when you can play in an NFL caliber stadium on your campus.

Candidly I view this as a win-win. If you are right and recruits think Yulman is inadequate and are going elsewhere then the Chargers choosing StubHub over playing in an Olympic/Rams/USC stadium eliminates that argument. Welcome to Tulane, young man, and its NFL-caliber stadium! Perhaps the real reason these recruits are going elsewhere is Tulane's longtime record of losing. Let's focus on that and then you will see Yulman fill up.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

All I know is an NFL team has enthusiastically chosen to play in a stadium that is literally Yulman's twin albeit on a temporary basis. Doing so it is passing on playing in one of the most famous stadiums in the world that is centrally located in L.A. because well it is likely to be half empty and half the fun. Chargers certainly don't think StubHub is a joke. They prefer a full intimate stadium for a better fan experience. They are betting their wallet on it. What a coincidence? Just like Tulane. Why play in the Dome when you can play in an NFL caliber stadium on your campus.

Candidly I view this as a win-win. If you are right and recruits think Yulman is inadequate and are going elsewhere then the Chargers choosing StubHub over playing in an Olympic/Rams/USC stadium eliminates that argument. Welcome to Tulane, young man, and its NFL-caliber stadium! Perhaps the real reason these recruits are going elsewhere is Tulane's longtime record of losing. Let's focus on that and then you will see Yulman fill up.
If the west side of Yulman was anything close to college standards no one would have an issue and may very well believe there is a home filed advantage....Ok State is very confined and I think brings a real upclose and personal type of college atmosphere
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: All I need is one property... I will rent to a few, whom the current residents feel are "undesirable" and property values will decrease..a few junk cars parked out front, with current tags and inspection so NOPD cannot do anything a couple of 4 wheelers in the front yards with sand jumps so they can be fun on the week ends and soon all will be mine !!!
update....upon review, I have decided to rent to the most undsierable person I know....ME ...gawd help the NIMBY's when I arrive...dancin girls...brass poles...free beer and BBQ
Ruski
Swell

Forget the stadium argument. Who on this staff is supposed to be bringing in top recruits? Jason Rollins the only good recruiter we had this decade was hijacked by UTSA.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

No one said Toledo has good facilities. All that was said is that there are many G5 programs with Tulane level facilities that have had pretty good recruiting classes by G5 standards -and- good on the field success. Toledo's 2017 class is ranked #70, 2013 was #75, 2012 was #78, and 2011 was #74. If Toledo's facilities are as bad as you say they are, then Tulane's facilities are not an excuse for poor recruiting.
I was talking about success level. Sure hope we aspire to more.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Lol. You hav no argument there. One in 32. Only doing it for two years. Moved b/c their facility sucked and wanted new NFL stadium which they will get. don't be part of the problem.
wave97
Swell

Thank God for the citizens of San DIego who had the good sense to tell the NFL to pack sand. If only the population of South Louisiana had the ability to tell the Saints to hit the pike for San Antonio or LA, Tulane football would be in a much stronger position and the population of Louisiana wouldn't be taking it in the seat.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:Thank God for the citizens of San DIego who had the good sense to tell the NFL to pack sand. If only the population of South Louisiana had the ability to tell the Saints to hit the pike for San Antonio or LA, Tulane football would be in a much stronger position and the population of Louisiana wouldn't be taking it in the seat.

After Katrina, Benson already had his team in San Antonio and in his mind had already relocated ...the NFL refused to allow him to move .... he still owes the state of Louisiana millions, about 30 million, so he could 'buy' the Saints...The State of Louisiana wanted to buy the Saints and operate them in the same manner as the Green Bay packers which is citizen owned...the NFL told the Louisiana Guv, not No, but HEll NO !!! Most of the other people showing interest in the saints wanted to move them...Benson road into town in a used car, said he had some money but not enuff, so the Guv gave him some sort of long term interest free, never needing to be repaid loan so he could buy the Saints...now Benson keeps the city and state hostage...brilliant !!!!
wave97
Swell

San Diego State will benefit from this move and USC/UCLA will miss the twenty year period of no Rams, Raiders & Chargers.
The NFL is pure evil.
1989alum
Low Tide

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Enough whining about Yulman. It is here and staying here unless someone has $100 million to build something bigger and better somewhere. My aspiration for Tulane football is winning seasons to start. I will worry about G5 crap way down the road. Let's leverage what we already have and raise additional $ to improve other facilities that attract student athletes.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

1989alum wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Enough whining about Yulman. It is here and staying here unless someone has $100 million to build something bigger and better somewhere. My aspiration for Tulane football is winning seasons to start. I will worry about G5 crap way down the road. Let's leverage what we already have and raise additional $ to improve other facilities that attract student athletes.

Enough burying your head in the sand. Winning won't start till we get better players. We won't attract said players to a HS stadium. It's Tulane's job to raise the money to fix the facilities issues. It's why TD gets paid the big bucks.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Well, the issue here is that some posters argue that the stadium is the issue, but, as I indicated earlier, there are many examples of G5 teams with Tulane level facilities or worse that have had great recruiting classes (by G5 standards) over the last few years so the facilities argument doesn't seem to hold too much weight.

If some posters are now arguing that Tulane should aspire for more than what it has, that's a separate and distinct argument than the argument that facilities are the cause of poor recruiting. I agree that Tulane should aspire for more, but whether Tulane should or should not aspire for more has no bearing on the issue of the stadium's impact on recruiting.
Show Me
Tsunami

Blaming the stadium is just flat out wrong. Willie Fritz took the job knowing full well about Yulman. And he even thought the on campus stadium was an asset. CJ said the same thing. Dannen said the same thing. By using that for every excuse we may as well quit trying to compete because the stadium is not going away. Lack of winning and being a G5 are the real reasons why we struggle with recruitment.