Hoopocalypse

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Robert1969
Riptide

How many are already over the Dunleavy era?
Last edited by Robert1969 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert1969
Riptide

So Frazier blamed the players saying that they weren't doing what the coaches were telling them. I wonder if maybe, the problem is less that Dunleavy is a Bob Toledo type burnout, and more that, as a pro cosch with no college experience, that he's talking above their heads? I guess, kind of like a college physics professor walking into a middle school science class. You might be great at what you do, but you haven't yet translated it to a lower level yet?
lurker123
Swell

Players know they lost to a bad team last night. No sugar coating any of it. See how MD benched his best shooter in Reynolds last night when it mattered? Don't know why but there is certainly some meaning to that.

Frazier may have a point. Critics do as well. Will team totally buy into MD's system unconditionally? Is this the time for MD to double down or change?

BTW, Robert, Great subject headline!
Last edited by lurker123 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Robert1969 wrote:So Frazier blamed the players saying that they weren't doing what the coaches were telling them. I wonder if maybe, the problem is less that Dunleavy is a Bob Toledo type burnout, and more that, as a pro cosch with no college experience, that he's talking above their heads? I guess, kind of like a college physics professor walking into a middle school science class. You might be great at what you do, but you haven't yet translated it to a lower level yet?
Come on, that's still on MD. I coach some younger kids around town, I don't coach them the same way I coach High School kids I work with.

There's no excuse for what is going on, none. It's disgusting.
Robert1969
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:So Frazier blamed the players saying that they weren't doing what the coaches were telling them. I wonder if maybe, the problem is less that Dunleavy is a Bob Toledo type burnout, and more that, as a pro cosch with no college experience, that he's talking above their heads? I guess, kind of like a college physics professor walking into a middle school science class. You might be great at what you do, but you haven't yet translated it to a lower level yet?
Come on, that's still on MD. I coach some younger kids around town, I don't coach them the same way I coach High School kids I work with.

It absolutely is disgusting. I am not really making excuses. I always figured Mike Dunleavy would need some time adjusting to the college game and to the differences in coaching younger players just out of high school. I am surprised it has been this awful. And while MD deserves the vast majority of the blame, the players have been making some awful mistakes. There are too many lazy and sloppy passes. There are too many wild shots being thrown up, especially when going to the hoop. This team must be setting a record for missed layups. Rebounding has been awful. How do you get dominated on the boards by McNeese state?
lurker123
Swell

If nothing else, I've been surprised by number of bad passes. Lots of loopy throws lacking crispness or "mustard."* I thought NBA coaching would matter here. Not yet evident.

*Sorry for the not quite non sequitur here but why not?

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... king-coach
netshorty
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote:

+1
AND WHY NOT CALL AN F'ING TIMEOUT IF THEY'RE NOT DOING WHAT YOU ARE TELLING THEM!!!!!!!!
galvezwave
Swell

Robert1969 wrote: How do you get dominated on the boards by McNeese state?

When you no longer believe in what you're doing and what you're being taught.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Robert1969 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

It absolutely is disgusting. I am not really making excuses. I always figured Mike Dunleavy would need some time adjusting to the college game and to the differences in coaching younger players just out of high school. I am surprised it has been this awful. And while MD deserves the vast majority of the blame, the players have been making some awful mistakes. There are too many lazy and sloppy passes. There are too many wild shots being thrown up, especially when going to the hoop. This team must be setting a record for missed layups. Rebounding has been awful. How do you get dominated on the boards by McNeese state?
For sure everyone is to blame. I guess I just don't think the talent is that bad. I mean we stayed with some solid teams (at least for the first half in many cases). The reason why I put more blame on MD is that the same things keep happening (no game management, horrible offense against the zone, terrible finishing, bad shot selection, terrible transition D, absolute a joke rebounding on both ends) yet there seems to be no adjustments. Maybe I am missing something. MD seems like he is in retirement mode, just riding things out into the sun.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Disappointed is an understatement. We've regressed as the season has progressed. I could go on and on but I agree with just about all of the previous comments in both this thread and the McNeese thread. We should beat Texas S this Friday but as far as the AAC goes we may not win more than a game or two if that. And we've been fortunate with no major injuries so far.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Disappointed is an understatement. We've regressed as the season has progressed. I could go on and on but I agree with just about all of the previous comments in both this thread and the McNeese thread. We should beat Texas S this Friday but as far as the AAC goes we may not win more than a game or two if that. And we've been fortunate with no major injuries so far.
Texas State beat Mcneese by 12 points. All these teams are so freakin bad,
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Here are contact emails for the staff:

Doug Stewart Assoc. HC - [email protected]
Anthony Wilkins - Assistant - [email protected]
Raman Sposato - Assistant - [email protected]

Dunleavy doesn't appear to have email, which is disappointing.
puffy
Surge

There's probably a huge learning curve going on right now on Dunleavy's side and the players' side.

Tulane has had pretty bad seasons in the last 20 years. Finney's and Dickerson's first seasons (9-21 and 8-22), Clark's 7-22 season. This might be a 6 or 7 win level team. There's just not a lot of talent or size.
ajcalhoun
Swell

lurker123 wrote: BTW, Robert, Great subject headline!
I know I'm being picky here, but shouldn't the portmanteau be Hoopocalypse?

Hoop +
apocalypse=
Hoopocalypse
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Disappointed is an understatement. We've regressed as the season has progressed. I could go on and on but I agree with just about all of the previous comments in both this thread and the McNeese thread. We should beat Texas S this Friday but as far as the AAC goes we may not win more than a game or two if that. And we've been fortunate with no major injuries so far.
Well so much for that idea. :oops:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Well so much for that idea. :oops:
Yep the Bobcats have a stellar RPI of 316 compared to our 320. We are sitting 25 spots behind an 0-11 Miss Valley St team from SWAC.
Robert1969
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:

Hoop +
apocalypse=
Hoopocalypse
You are correct. My apologies. It is tough enough being dyslexic. But dyslexic and making up words - you are bound to go wrong.
Bigschtick
Riptide

More suffering and pain for any fan of Tulane athletics! Will it ever end?
I, for one, not so sure any more.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
ajcalhoun
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

Hoop +
apocalypse=
Hoopocalypse
You are correct. My apologies. It is tough enough being dyslexic. But dyslexic and making up words - you are bound to go wrong.
No apology necessary! I am the one sorry for being a jerk. I did not know about your dyslexia.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:More suffering and pain for any fan of Tulane athletics! Will it ever end?
The sad part is, whenever we (Tulane fans) get excited about a new hire, or game result, the friends we share it with kind of laugh it off, thinking "so what? After all is said and done, they're still Tulane."

It's hard to accept that they're right! (Stockholm Syndrome, I know!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Robert1969
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

Hoop +
apocalypse=
Hoopocalypse
No apology necessary! I am the one sorry for being a jerk. I did not know about your dyslexia.
.krej a gnieb ton er'uoy, haaaN

I joke about this more than anyone else. You don't need to apologize. If I can suffer being an English major while dyslexic, I can take criticism of my made up word.
Last edited by Robert1969 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:More suffering and pain for any fan of Tulane athletics! Will it ever end?
The sad part is, whenever we (Tulane fans) get excited about a new hire, or game result, the friends we share it with kind of laugh it off, thinking "so what? After all is said and done, they're still Tulane."

It's hard to accept that they're right! (Stockholm Syndrome, I know!)

These are terrible times in the emerald kingdom. Even steadfast devotees are losing faith in their leaders as hope seems more elusive than ever before. An enlightened few remembered...they had been taught from an earlier One that they had been brainwashed to believe that it will always be bad. An anguished cry arose to the heavens. A brilliant light pierced the night sky. A troubled people cried out to the enlightened One who had left... Him Who Always Knew The Way....

Is he in Lincoln Nebraska sneaking pictures of Tanner Lee? Is he in Stockholm? Help us JJ, you're our only hope.

Bigschtick
Riptide

JJ may not be here but he is still around on Guerry's site.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
ajcalhoun
Swell

Bigschtick wrote:JJ may not be here but he is still around on Guerry's site.
So he has abandoned us! I hope it wasn't anything I said.
God Bless Everyone!
Robert1969
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:JJ may not be here but he is still around on Guerry's site.
So he has abandoned us! I hope it wasn't anything I said.
Well, if it turns out to be something you said, we will give you a medal!