St. John's Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

netshorty wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Not a lot you can do when St.Johns is 15-21 from 3pt range. I mean 72% is kind of crazy, don't you think? If they just hit a normal average, say 8-21, that's a 21 point different. We're down by 27. Some nights there's nothing you can do.
7 more misses likely would result in 3 or 4 offensive rebounds and 6-8 second chance points. plus they'd stop shooting from deep and drive through the lane more like they're doing easily when not shooting 3s. any way you try to justify that it we were only victims of a hot shooting team is negated by every other facet of the game where we are absolutely pathetic and they would have gotten their points. maybe we'd only lose by a dozen instead of 20+. but no doubt we'd lose.
I wasn't justifying that we're only losing because they're hot. I was just pointing out we wouldn't feel the same if the game had stayed close the entire way and we lost by eight instead of 28.

As for scheduling, if we have a goal at some point of being a competitive team, we have to play and beat these kinds of teams. Consider it a starting point. I'd still rather be playing and losing to St.Johns, Arizona State and Missouri than Alabama A&M and Texas State.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
oliveandblue
Surge

The thing with a big schedule is that it should happen in year two or three.

What happens if the kids throw in the towel at 1-7 and this gets ugly?
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

I can't believe I'm about to say this but this team is worse than ANY EC team. We are poorly coached....looked lost. We will not win an American game this year. This is bad folks.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Not a lot you can do when St.Johns is 15-21 from 3pt range. I mean 72% is kind of crazy, don't you think? If they just hit a normal average, say 8-21, that's a 21 point different. We're down by 27. Some nights there's nothing you can do.
A couple of things. I'd come out and full court press and change the pace and tempo of the game. Come out and guard against the 3. Switch defense from man to zone back to man. Yes they were hot but we made it easy for them. We are still playing an NBA style and it's not conducive to winning with the players we have.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:
netshorty wrote:
7 more misses likely would result in 3 or 4 offensive rebounds and 6-8 second chance points. plus they'd stop shooting from deep and drive through the lane more like they're doing easily when not shooting 3s. any way you try to justify that it we were only victims of a hot shooting team is negated by every other facet of the game where we are absolutely pathetic and they would have gotten their points. maybe we'd only lose by a dozen instead of 20+. but no doubt we'd lose.
I wasn't justifying that we're only losing because they're hot. I was just pointing out we wouldn't feel the same if the game had stayed close the entire way and we lost by eight instead of 28.

As for scheduling, if we have a goal at some point of being a competitive team, we have to play and beat these kinds of teams. Consider it a starting point. I'd still rather be playing and losing to St.Johns, Arizona State and Missouri than Alabama A&M and Texas State.
gotcha, sure losing by less would be better but if you just watch this team there is absolutely nothing we do well. This debacle is a combination if sub par talent and bad coaching.

From a scheduling standpoint, sure we aren't pulling a Conroy where we rack up 10 OOC wins against crap competition before laying an egg in conference. But, we're starting to sound like we're drinking the P5 Kool Aid that just because a team is in a P5 conference that the team is any good. we've actually played exactly the schedule that we'd want to play, teams predicted to be bottom feeders in those conferences. Yes UNC and OU were tough. the others could have been beaten. Heck NC Central just beat Mizzou at Mizzou.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We scheduled UNO and got blown out.
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

I have been watching Tulane basketball since 1989 when Perry Clark brought us back. This is the worst Tulane basketball team I have ever seen. It's got to be a combination of the coaching and the talent. It's an utter embarrassment. Don't know what to say about how to fix it.
oliveandblue
Surge

I wouldn't be shocked if we had 4-5 guys transfer after this season. Players aren't smiling or enjoying themselves. I smell smoke.
netshorty
Surge

i have stated this before but I find it worth mentioning again, especially since it happens every game. Dunleavy is supposed to be a good coach/teacher. throughout the season we have gone on long stretches each game without scoring or struggling to make a stop defensively. I AM NOT SURE DUNLEAVY KNOWS THAT THE COLLEGE GAME ALSO ALLOWS FOR CALLING TIMEOUTS. What better time to teach or coach up than during a game. Heck just stop the momentum. but Dunleavy must think timeouts are worth a lot more after the game is over or possibly he's mistaken them for rollover minutes he can use when he really needs them. but come on, he's not even trying.
Show Me
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:I have been watching Tulane basketball since 1989 when Perry Clark brought us back. This is the worst Tulane basketball team I have ever seen. It's got to be a combination of the coaching and the talent. It's an utter embarrassment. Don't know what to say about how to fix it.
No doubt. It's torture to watch this team play. I'd rather watch the Pelicans at least Anthony Davis is worth the time. I was never keen on Dunleavy to begin with but was expecting better than this. We look like we have no clue out there. We have talent to at least compete. Basketball this season is over before it has really begun.
Once again Sader has been proven right.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:St. John's cannot miss from 3. 8 of 9.
Because we don't guard or defend.
We were guarding them on the 3's . They were unconscious. Their first 30 points came on 3's. We are bad on D but we were guarding them out there .
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote:i have stated this before but I find it worth mentioning again, especially since it happens every game. Dunleavy is supposed to be a good coach/teacher. throughout the season we have gone on long stretches each game without scoring or struggling to make a stop defensively. I AM NOT SURE DUNLEAVY KNOWS THAT THE COLLEGE GAME ALSO ALLOWS FOR CALLING TIMEOUTS. What better time to teach or coach up than during a game. Heck just stop the momentum. but Dunleavy must think timeouts are worth a lot more after the game is over or possibly he's mistaken them for rollover minutes he can use when he really needs them. but come on, he's not even trying.
Yep. We started the second half on a 5-0 run less than a minute in. Mullin called a timeout and then they went on a 5-0 run.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
We were guarding them on the 3's . They were unconscious. Their first 30 points came on 3's. We are bad on D but we were guarding them out there .
We'll have to disagree. Yes they were hot but we continued to do absolutely nothing about it to change the tempo. This is basic basketball 101.
We are the worst defensive team in the nation. And we give up one of the highest avg points per game than anyone in the country like 310 out of 325.
We are near the bottom in almost all of the defensive stats. That's even before tonight.
Tired of losing.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-me ... eam/518/p7
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt we are bad in every aspect. As noted above his refusal to call timeouts to help the team is mind blowing. In fact I don't know that he talks to them much on game day at all. We are always out much earlier than the other team and we stay after they go back in for pre -game coaching. Then at halftime we are already back on the floor w/almost 9 minutes left in halftime. At least let them get off their feet for a bit if nothing else. I have never seen a team do that and we do it every game.

As for talent we have very little. Slater has a nice looking stroke but before tonight he had 7 assist in 7 games. Embo could develop but it will take a while. Von Julien tries but he's very limited. He's just too small. Harris can shoot from 3 but needs a lot of work every where else. Morgan just doesn't have it. He'll be on once in a while but most of the time he's looks lost. Reynolds looks the part but he's very limited. Commits a lot of turnovers. Always dragging his foot. He's shot better this year but now teams are looking for him and he's too slow getting his shot off. Frazier is athletic and more under control this year but needs further development. When we got it down to thirteen we got a few stops but he got out of control and we came up empty each time b/c of him. He's too much of a showboat and always blows it when he gets like that. He's got an ailing back but in warmups he's trying highlight reel dunks. He came up grabbing his back a couple of times. STUPID. As for the big men they are not even worth talking about. As for the transfers they didn't pan out where they were and they landed here. Don't expect much there. It's bad and there is no end in sight. I have said it many times and I'll say it again b/c it's true. There is no recruiting to that HS gym. It's why no one wanted the job.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
We'll have to disagree. Yes they were hot but we continued to do absolutely nothing about it to change the tempo. This is basic basketball 101.
We are the worst defensive team in the nation. And we give up one of the highest avg points per game than anyone in the country like 310 out of 325.
We are near the bottom in almost all of the defensive stats. That's even before tonight.
Tired of losing.
LOL. It wasn't about tempo. They were just throwing them up and they were going in. I was there.
GreenLantern
Riptide

It was another lopsided defeat, but it wasn't the butt-kicking we experienced at the Lakefront Arena with UNO. The team played with energy and showed a lot of hustle. It was a 1 point game in the second half but we could not overcome the ridiculous shooting display by St. John in the first ten minutes. Moreover, I'm not certain that Stephen Curry and the Warriors could have beaten St. John in the first half. After hitting 11 of their first 12 from 3-pt range, Dunleavy rolled his eyes and stated 'this has to be an NCAA record'. If you let a good long range shooter hit his first 2 or 3 shots, it seems they always catch fire. There were a couple of positive points for gang green: Smith hit 7 of 9...his best game. Dunleavy stated that they had been working a lot with Ryan on his hook shot. Disappointing night for Cain Harris. He didn't get to take a lot of shots. Frazier showed no ill effects from the sore back. Reyes may be better suited for MMA cagefighting. He's a strong physical guy, but has hands of stone.

At the game tonight I sat next to a young man from Chicago who played bball with Cain Harris in HS. He told me that he and Cain were best friends and that he had flown to NO for the weekend to watch his friend play. He told me that Cain was really impressed with Dunleavy, his teaching style, and that he had every confidence that they would be a better team before the end of the year and would be a real threat after Dunleavy got some of his own recruits on the roster. Of course talk is very cheap, but this young guy had nothing to gain by spinning yarns to me. I hope he is right. He was a bright, respectful and clean cut kid who talked easily and freely with someone old enough to be his grandfather. He remarked how hard Cain was working in school, how committed he was to Tulane academics, how little time he spent going out, and how proud all of his friends in Chicago were of his accomplishments to date. I was much impressed and it told me a lot about Cain Harris.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Tired of losing.
LOL. It wasn't about tempo. They were just throwing them up and they were going in. I was there.
I know. I wasn't there but watched it. The point I trying to make is that we didn't take them out of their game. We just let them do what they wanted. Not once did we change defenses. Made no adjustments. Same exact gameplan that failed against a bad UNO team. Everyone shoots lights out against us period. I've made up my mind I'm not going to waste my time going to games this season. I plan on watching from home that way I can turn it off. Looking forward to baseball already.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Tired of losing.
I know. I wasn't there but watched it. The point I trying to make is that we didn't take them out of their game. We just let them do what they wanted. Not once did we change defenses. Made no adjustments. Same exact gameplan that failed against a bad UNO team. Everyone shoots lights out against us period.
I hear ya but it wasn't a case of letting them do what they want. We were in their face mostly and they were just drilling them. If we had switched to zone they would have just shot over it at that point.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Tired of losing.
I know. I wasn't there but watched it. The point I trying to make is that we didn't take them out of their game. We just let them do what they wanted. Not once did we change defenses. Made no adjustments. Same exact gameplan that failed against a bad UNO team. Everyone shoots lights out against us period.
I hear ya but it wasn't a case of letting them do what they want. We were in their face mostly and they were just drilling them. If we had switched to zone they would have just shot over it at that point.
Not even one timeout called to at least try to throw their rhythm out. I just find this unfathomable. I can see player development but the game time coaching is extremely lacking.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Tired of losing.
Not even one timeout called to at least try to throw their rhythm out. I just find this unfathomable. I can see player development but the game time coaching is extremely lacking.
I talked about that above. On that we agree. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Tired of losing.
I talked about that above. On that we agree. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Ok. But thats another way to disrupt tempo.
I agree. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Tulane Class of 1981
swampnik
Surge

Our three decent showings thus far of hanging tough (Arizona, Mizzou, Georgia Tech), still give me hope moving forward into conference play.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
RobertM320
Green Wave

The next four games should be an indication of whether the season is a total disaster or not.

Current Kenpom rankings: (Tulane #258)

Southern #259
@ Southern Miss #314
McNeese State #323
Texas State #233

Three of these are at home. If there's any chance for a reasonable season, we should win all four. Not expecting that to happen, just saying.

By the way, St. Johns is #110
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

oliveandblue wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if we had 4-5 guys transfer after this season. Players aren't smiling or enjoying themselves. I smell smoke.
I agree 100%. Dunleavy has been out of coaching and simply does not know the college game. This is on Dannen in my opinion. This entire situation is beyond embarrasing.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:The next four games should be an indication of whether the season is a total disaster or not.

Current Kenpom rankings: (Tulane #258)

Southern #259
@ Southern Miss #314
McNeese State #323
Texas State #233

Three of these are at home. If there's any chance for a reasonable season, we should win all four. Not expecting that to happen, just saying.

By the way, St. Johns is #110
Our RPI is now #314 an AAC killer
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2017/ ... n-Athletic

Upcoming RPI's
Southern #271
@ Southern Miss #269
McNeese State #263
Texas State #238

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2017/rpi
Tulane Class of 1981