UNO crushes the Wave 74-59

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
galvezwave
Swell

JerseyWave wrote: I think Fritz and Dunleavy have gotten a helping of humble pie.
They definitely came to the right place for that

puffy
Surge

Guys, it's all about talent. Most nights Tulane's talent doesn't match up with their opponent's.

I'd struggle to identify two players currently on the team who could be starters anywhere else in the AAC: Maybe Reynolds and Harris.

Those schools that don't have talent but manage to win have been together for a couple of seasons. Lots of quality juniors and seniors.

Dunleavy looks like he's been doing a lot of individual teaching. Reynolds/Frazier/Harris have all gotten better. Collectively, it hasn't gelled yet.

I'm not sure what people's realistic expectations were, for hoops or football. Tulane just doesn't have the players to compete.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
sader24 wrote:Are you suggesting I have patience for a 67 yr old coach who hasn't coached in years and has never coached college and was widely thought of as an average head coach at best that doesn't know how to attack a zone? Why are we constantly hiring people who have to adjust to the job? Pretty sure Tommy Bowden, Lisa Stockton, Rick Jones, and David Pierce didn't need time to adjust to the job. Do you guys wanna lose forever?
I hear what you are saying but the problem is nobody wanted the job. It's just that bad. So we got MD. Hopefully it works out. I am disappointed that Stewart hasn't been able to assist/assert himself more w/the x's and O's. Unfortunately the impression I have gotten is that MD thinks he has it all together on the coaching front and has relegated Stewart to dealing w/recruiting and handling NCAA rules. Huge mistake on his part.
Garbage. Maybe none of the top end type assistants/lower end schools, but plenty of coaches would have taken this job. There would have been plenty of lower conference head coaches and P5 assistants willing to take on this challenge. Sure Devlin is small but it is new inside. Then the practice facility and most of all playing in the AAC. Look the other lowly AAC schools, they all have hired up compared to their past. Plenty of lower profile schools compete in Bball (Bball is nothing like trying to compete in FBall) at much lower profile schools with arguably the same or worse facilities but much worse conference affiliation.

How is the Bball situation much different than FBall, and we got Fritz who everyone approved. Don't make excuses. On paper MD was a great hire but he clearly either has talent way below we expected and/or has been lazy/incompetent on teaching. Look at how weak the team finishes at the basket, how they create no open shots, let up so many easy baskets and have no clue what to do on defense in general, worst of all is the rebounding which is all about technique and effort. Personally I don't think he realized the difference in the college game and spent too much time trying to install a man to man offense instead of working on fundamentals, defense and nuances between the pro and college game. He also whiffed huge by not getting a JUCO center as that is killing this team on offense and especially defense (Smith is useless and Paul has no clue how to play the game). I would just give Reyes and Paul more minutes and tell them to go in there and bang. He also should have made sure to hire top notch assistants who could focus on different aspects of the game, if he in fact did do that then he needs to hire new ones. He knew he would have to do alot of teaching, so far he is not doing enough. I stand by the fact that this team has enough talent to be better than what they have shown.

In the end, maybe it was just a tough start and they will turn it around. Before last night the team had not played too bad.
Not garbage. Reality.The gym is a joke. When I said no one I thought it was clear no one of any value so they turned to MD who had the family connection. Those lower profile schools for the most part are basketball schools w/no football or lower division football. Coaches saw what happened to Finney and Dickerson and don't want to risk taking a coach killer job.

I'm not making excuses. I have stated since the beginning that we lack talent. We do. I also criticized him on the coaching end above. We have more talent than UNO but not any of the other schools that have beat us. Last night was disgusting.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I've read a few posts, scattered across various threads, predicting a loss (and in some cases a blowout loss) to St. Johns. St. Johns is worse than we are. They lost at home last night not to Delaware, but to Delaware State. Delaware State! They were 22 point favorites, for whatever that's worth. Delaware State was 1-5 coming into the game, their lone victory came against a D3 school. With the loss, St. Johns now has a 5 game losing streak. (Sound familiar?)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I've read a few posts, scattered across various threads, predicting a loss (and in some cases a blowout loss) to St. Johns. St. Johns is worse than we are. They lost at home last night not to Delaware, but to Delaware State. Delaware State! They were 22 point favorites, for whatever that's worth. Delaware State was 1-5 coming into the game, their lone victory came against a D3 school. With the loss, St. Johns now has a 5 game losing streak. (Sound familiar?)
What board did you read those on? Never saw any here saying that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
oliveandblue
Surge

St. John's and Tulane both need to just take the rest of the year off and practice basketball. Neither team has looked prepared to play.
alumniwave
Low Tide

Show Me wrote:
Ruski wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
sader24 wrote:After the Fritz hire and the Dunleavy hire I can only imagine the depression on this board when we realize how bad Dannen passing on Cannizaro was. Essentially Dannen'S AD career is that he brought on some cool Uniforms for football.
I think it's a little early to judge any of these hires yet. Four wins is all I expected in WF's first year and Jewett hasn't even turned in a line-up card yet. I'll admit I expected more out of Dunleavy but c'mon, it's not even December yet.

Edited to apologize for overuse of the word "yet."
This 100%. Also what about the volleyball hire? Does Dannen get credit there? If Fritz would've pulled out a win against Wake, Navy, or Memphis you all would be ecstatic right now. Unfortunately Fritz is ineligible to lineup at QB. Dunleavy is in fact learning an entirely new level of competition. If you all want him to be our coach for the next decade plus, he's gonna need some time to adjust.

I will judge both these coaches how they act in the offseason. Will they restructure their coaching staffs? Will they make inroads into local recruiting circuits? If they don't see huge improvements in year 2, do they make big staff changes into year 3? That will be the big telling sign.
Yes he hired coach Barnes. But Barbs Burke gave him the recommendation. She gets the credit for his hire as she also got David Pierce in baseball.
This is not accurate. Burke talked with Barnes but Dannen is the reason for the hire. His SWA at UNI knew of Barnes and he was her top recommendation to Dannen. He was the one that convinced Barnes to take the job. And the program made the biggest improvement in the country this year.

What many are missing about BB and football is Dannen knows you have to go get talent. He hired guys that can do that at a very high level. It will happen and the results will come. Patience Tulane fans.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The fact is neither have experience at recruiting at this level.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

alumniwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Ruski wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
sader24 wrote:After the Fritz hire and the Dunleavy hire I can only imagine the depression on this board when we realize how bad Dannen passing on Cannizaro was. Essentially Dannen'S AD career is that he brought on some cool Uniforms for football.
I think it's a little early to judge any of these hires yet. Four wins is all I expected in WF's first year and Jewett hasn't even turned in a line-up card yet. I'll admit I expected more out of Dunleavy but c'mon, it's not even December yet.

This 100%. Also what about the volleyball hire? Does Dannen get credit there? If Fritz would've pulled out a win against Wake, Navy, or Memphis you all would be ecstatic right now. Unfortunately Fritz is ineligible to lineup at QB. Dunleavy is in fact learning an entirely new level of competition. If you all want him to be our coach for the next decade plus, he's gonna need some time to adjust.

I will judge both these coaches how they act in the offseason. Will they restructure their coaching staffs? Will they make inroads into local recruiting circuits? If they don't see huge improvements in year 2, do they make big staff changes into year 3? That will be the big telling sign.
Yes he hired coach Barnes. But Barbs Burke gave him the recommendation. She gets the credit for his hire as she also got David Pierce in baseball.
This is not accurate. Burke talked with Barnes but Dannen is the reason for the hire. His SWA at UNI knew of Barnes and he was her top recommendation to Dannen. He was the one that convinced Barnes to take the job. And the program made the biggest improvement in the country this year.

What many are missing about BB and football is Dannen knows you have to go get talent. He hired guys that can do that at a very high level. It will happen and the results will come. Patience Tulane fans.
Show Me is correct. Burke was already doing a VB search before Dannen was even hired. She gave Dannen a piece of paper with Barnes' name on it after all her research was done. Dannen liked her recommendation so he hired coach Barnes once he became the AD. Had Burke gotten the AD job she would have hired Barnes as well. Both agreed he was the right pick but Burke started the conversation months before Dannen was hired.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nola.com ... ent=safari
I would like to thank Barbara Burke who started the conversation with me about this position.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I saw where UNO caught 7 connecting flights, and beat Washington State 70 -54 on Saturday
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wavemania
Surge

Yep, the UNO coach knows what he is doing. Considering how hard it is to recruit to UNO, he is keeping these guys competitive. That's way more than we can say about MD.
Show Me
Tsunami

wavemania wrote:Yep, the UNO coach knows what he is doing. Considering how hard it is to recruit to UNO, he is keeping these guys competitive. That's way more than we can say about MD.
Right. Not to mention he's probably making about $1.25 million less than what we're paying our coach.
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
alumniwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Ruski wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

Show Me is correct. Burke was already doing a VB search before Dannen was even hired. She gave Dannen a piece of paper with Barnes' name on it after all her research was done. Dannen liked her recommendation so he hired coach Barnes once he became the AD. Had Burke gotten the AD job she would have hired Barnes as well. Both agreed he was the right pick but Burke started the conversation months before Dannen was hired.
I would like to thank Barbara Burke who started the conversation with me about this position.
Thank You.
alumniwave
Low Tide

[/quote]
Yes he hired coach Barnes. But Barbs Burke gave him the recommendation. She gets the credit for his hire as she also got David Pierce in baseball.[/quote]

What many are missing about BB and football is Dannen knows you have to go get talent. He hired guys that can do that at a very high level. It will happen and the results will come. Patience Tulane fans.[/quote]
[/quote]

True. But you haven't completed the story. Dannen has said it many times. Before he left his SWA recommended Barnes. So he talked with Barnes as well. When Burke gave him the name Dannen said he pulled out his paper with Barnes at the top as well. Cool story. But ultimately if you continue reading Barnes quote he said Dannen is who sealed the deal once Barnes started talking to him. Dannen did a great job with volleyball at UNI and I don't think Barnes comes to Tulane without that kind of VB emphasis.

All the coaches have unique gifts to recruit. Even if one lacks college ezpierence. That's not critical. What is is getting top talent. The other BB coaches knew how to coach college. Didn't help. You have to go outside the box to get the guys to make Tulane recruiting effective.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

alumniwave wrote:
Yes he hired coach Barnes. But Barbs Burke gave him the recommendation. She gets the credit for his hire as she also got David Pierce in baseball.[/quote]

What many are missing about BB and football is Dannen knows you have to go get talent. He hired guys that can do that at a very high level. It will happen and the results will come. Patience Tulane fans.[/quote]
[/quote]

True. But you haven't completed the story. Dannen has said it many times. Before he left his SWA recommended Barnes. So he talked with Barnes as well. When Burke gave him the name Dannen said he pulled out his paper with Barnes at the top as well. Cool story. But ultimately if you continue reading Barnes quote he said Dannen is who sealed the deal once Barnes started talking to him. Dannen did a great job with volleyball at UNI and I don't think Barnes comes to Tulane without that kind of VB emphasis.

All the coaches have unique gifts to recruit. Even if one lacks college ezpierence. That's not critical. What is is getting top talent. The other BB coaches knew how to coach college. Didn't help. You have to go outside the box to get the guys to make Tulane recruiting effective.[/quote]

Yep. That's the whole story on the VB hire.
Show Me
Tsunami

My only point was to the people here that think Dannen was totally responsible for hiring Barnes. Obviously he was not. As Barnes points out Burke first approached him about coming here. That's the only point I was trying to make. Yes Dannen knew about Barnes as well. Some people here just think Dannen can do no wrong. I'm in the "Show Me" camp. So far he hasn't shown me anything. I'll give him half credit for Barnes being hired. Football was disappointing, basketball has been horrible, yes VB had success but that's not a big deal to most. He promised the Angry Wave water feature and that never happened. You are what your record is in the two major sports. So far Dannen hires have only produced 5 wins in 20 attempts in the two major sports. That's a 25% clip. That's even lower than Dickson.
lurker123
Swell

Show Me wrote:My only point was to the people here that think Dannen was totally responsible for hiring Barnes. Obviously he was not. As Barnes points out Burke first approached him about coming here. That's the only point I was trying to make. Yes Dannen knew about Barnes as well. Some people here just think Dannen can do no wrong. I'm in the "Show Me" camp. So far he hasn't shown me anything. I'll give him half credit for Barnes being hired. Football was disappointing, basketball has been horrible, yes VB had success but that's not a big deal to most. He promised the Angry Wave water feature and that never happened. You are what your record is in the two major sports. So far Dannen hires have only produced 5 wins in 20 attempts in the two major sports. That's a 25% clip. That's even lower than Dickson.
Interesting you give him "half credit" for winning in VB and hiring Barnes but apparently full blame for the current 2016 record in football and MBB to date. And yeah no Angry Wave.

It's ok to be bottom line oriented full stop. Just interesting that when it's in the red you take no prisoners and shine the light fully on him, when it's in the black, it's because he had lots of help.
Show Me
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:
Show Me wrote:My only point was to the people here that think Dannen was totally responsible for hiring Barnes. Obviously he was not. As Barnes points out Burke first approached him about coming here. That's the only point I was trying to make. Yes Dannen knew about Barnes as well. Some people here just think Dannen can do no wrong. I'm in the "Show Me" camp. So far he hasn't shown me anything. I'll give him half credit for Barnes being hired. Football was disappointing, basketball has been horrible, yes VB had success but that's not a big deal to most. He promised the Angry Wave water feature and that never happened. You are what your record is in the two major sports. So far Dannen hires have only produced 5 wins in 20 attempts in the two major sports. That's a 25% clip. That's even lower than Dickson.
Interesting you give him "half credit" for winning in VB and hiring Barnes but apparently full blame for the current 2016 record in football and MBB to date. And yeah no Angry Wave.

It's ok to be bottom line oriented full stop. Just interesting that when it's in the red you take no prisoners and shine the light fully on him, when it's in the black, it's because he had lots of help.
Yes that's correct. It's my right as a longtime fan to be upset. We blamed Dickson and Cowen for the last 15 years. Dannen and Fitts are on the clock now.
localvb
High Tide

Some need to evaluate wether they are part of the solution or part of the problem. Some Tulane "fans" or more like haters than supporters.

Also, a point being missed is Coach Barnes was hired in December and MD was hired much later in March I believe.
VB was able to add a couple of recruits who made a nice impact. And Coach Barnes trained up the former players in a big way. Statistically the returning players had major improvements in their stats.

I suspect MD's impact, while starting slow, will also have a major impact with time and support.
Show Me
Tsunami

localvb wrote:Some need to evaluate wether they are part of the solution or part of the problem. Some Tulane "fans" or more like haters than supporters.

Also, a point being missed is Coach Barnes was hired in December and MD was hired much later in March I believe.
VB was able to add a couple of recruits who made a nice impact. And Coach Barnes trained up the former players in a big way. Statistically the returning players had major improvements in their stats.

I suspect MD's impact, while starting slow, will also have a major impact with time and support.
You are correct. We so-called "haters" only hate to lose.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Actually, Dannen is totally responsible for hiring Barnes, because he's the AD. All this proved is that both had done their homework and both would have hired Barnes even if they never spoke to each other. Burke's input didn't influence Dannen, as much as it confirmed the decision he had already reached.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
ajcalhoun
Swell

alumniwave wrote: His SWA
WTF is an SWA?
God Bless Everyone!