Temple trounces the Wave 31-0

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
netshorty
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Simple answer to this: We expected modest improvement through discipline. We expected competitive losses to replace shameful blowouts. We expected a system to be implemented that would maximize the limited talent that we have. We expected mistakes and penalties to be greatly reduced. We hoped for a ground game that would compensate for limited passing talent, not one that exposed even greater weaknesses. We expected to tread water for a season, surprise a team or two, and when the inevitable losing would occur, to lose in a way that would not shame our school and its fans. We hoped to see a wave of promising recruits that would be attracted to Fritz's winning resume. We hoped to end the season with even greater hope..
+1
my thoughts exactly. Going 3-9 is not the end of the world IF the program appears to be turning the corner. There are no signs of that, on the field or recruiting. The league is getting better. We aren't.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:An interesting exercise would be for each of us to calculate a coefficient of personal suffering:
  1. Total our game expenses. Include TAF contributions, travel to and from the games, season ticket costs, food and beverage expenditures, accessories purchased (shirts, jackets, tees, etc), subscriptions to information services, etc.
  2. Total our manhours invested watching the games, listening to the coaching shows, researching the team and players (reading/participating in forums such as this) and multiply the sum times the hourly value of our personal time (arbitrarily use $50 per manhour).
  3. Sum the results from 1 and 2
  4. Take the result of step 3 and divide it by the number of games won
  5. The result from step 4 is our individual coefficient of suffering, i.e. our personal cost-per-win.
I think most of us would be a little surprised to see the result of this math.

I just want Tulane to beat somebody at something. Beat anybody. At anything.
I just read your last line of the post...it reminded me of the UCF fan who sat in their stadium with a sign that read.."just beat somebody"....what a difference a year makes
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:An interesting exercise would be for each of us to calculate a coefficient of personal suffering:
  1. Total our game expenses. Include TAF contributions, travel to and from the games, season ticket costs, food and beverage expenditures, accessories purchased (shirts, jackets, tees, etc), subscriptions to information services, etc.
  2. Total our manhours invested watching the games, listening to the coaching shows, researching the team and players (reading/participating in forums such as this) and multiply the sum times the hourly value of our personal time (arbitrarily use $50 per manhour).
  5. The result from step 4 is our individual coefficient of suffering, i.e. our personal cost-per-win.

I've spent probably more time with Tulane than my wife. I can't even imagine the total time and money involved in being a diehard fan in all sports for nearly fifty years. Every round trip drive I make today is 90 miles and 2 hours total travel time plus $3 toll not counting gas before tickets, TAF and concessions.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote:
GreenLantern wrote: Simple answer to this: We expected modest improvement through discipline. We expected competitive losses to replace shameful blowouts. We expected a system to be implemented that would maximize the limited talent that we have. We expected mistakes and penalties to be greatly reduced. We hoped for a ground game that would compensate for limited passing talent, not one that exposed even greater weaknesses. We expected to tread water for a season, surprise a team or two, and when the inevitable losing would occur, to lose in a way that would not shame our school and its fans. We hoped to see a wave of promising recruits that would be attracted to Fritz's winning resume. We hoped to end the season with even greater hope..
+1
my thoughts exactly. Going 3-9 is not the end of the world IF the program appears to be turning the corner. There are no signs of that, on the field or recruiting. The league is getting better. We aren't.
a few years ago Temple, Colorado, Washington State, Duke, were laughing stocks....Arizona...Arizona State...Texas Tech...TCU...they were suppose to be competitive....well not this year, with their coaching legends...hell the "Zona twins and Tx Tech need to fire the bumpkins they hired !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I thought about staying home and watching it on TV. However it was Senior Day and we had our GB annual liquor raffle drawing. Had I won (I didn't) I would have been given hell for not showing up. I've decided to cut back on attending basketball games. Most of the games are now on TV and the weekday 90 mile roundtrip at night for me is getting old. If we get back to the Perry days I'll probably deal with the drive and attend more frequently.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:

I've spent probably more time with Tulane than my wife. I can't even imagine the total time and money involved in being a diehard fan in all sports for nearly fifty years. Every round trip drive I make today is 90 miles and 2 hours total travel time plus $3 toll not counting gas before tickets, TAF and concessions.
No bragging here, but I've got you beat on mileage and driving time. Still, I'm way behind you in how many events you attend and how much passion you dump into backing Tulane. Still, our gang (small as it is) in the Bayou area keep coming and keep shaking our heads wondering if we can ever get this thing turned around. I didn't think WF was going to have a stellar year. I thought last week (at Houston) the team played hard (especially on defense) for 4 quarters. This week we played a team (Temple) that had us pegged for what we are...lacking in talent and exposing our extreme weaknesses. I still back WF big time and feel like we will start seeing progress next season. If he wants this to be a jump-step to a bigger job, he's got to have success at Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:OK.I will be the voice of calmness...Fritz was hired and the boards went crazy : TULANE TO RUN THE TRIPLE OPTION !!..since most of the players recruited by CJ were pro style type talent(?) those who could transfer or did not want to return for their 5th year left Tulane. Fritz realizing his O line had little or no talent, not enuff wide outs to make an impact and a QB with two whole snaps of experience, decided he might as well lay the ground work for the SRO. The JUCO QB has already said the Tulane O will look more like Houston than any triple option offense. Prior to the start of the season, we had a page on the 2016 W's and L's the majority posted 3 or 4 wins, most were correct...outside of the Temple and Tulsa games Tulane has for the most part been competitive...so why all of the bitching ?
Simple answer to this: We expected modest improvement through discipline. We expected competitive losses to replace shameful blowouts. We expected a system to be implemented that would maximize the limited talent that we have. We expected mistakes and penalties to be greatly reduced. We hoped for a ground game that would compensate for limited passing talent, not one that exposed even greater weaknesses. We expected to tread water for a season, surprise a team or two, and when the inevitable losing would occur, to lose in a way that would not shame our school and its fans. We hoped to see a wave of promising recruits that would be attracted to Fritz's winning resume. We hoped to end the season with even greater hope.

I would have felt more optimistic if we had finished the year 11-1, and yet played competitively against Tulsa, Memphis, and Temple.

I don't know how much more I can endure before I become a non-game-attending casual fan. The simple cure for my frustration is to be like most locals and become indifferent. Most don't dislike Tulane or root against the program....they simply could care less.
+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for depressing me even more. To do those calculations would only make it even more obvious that I should become that indifferent casual fan. I'll say this again: IT'S ON TULANE TO FIX NOT THE FANS.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
netshorty wrote:
+1
a few years ago Temple, Colorado, Washington State, Duke, were laughing stocks....Arizona...Arizona State...Texas Tech...TCU...they were suppose to be competitive....well not this year, with their coaching legends...hell the "Zona twins and Tx Tech need to fire the bumpkins they hired !!!!
golf I appreciate where you are coming from and thanks for the effort. The difference is all of those programs have legitimate D-1 facilities for football and basketball. Tulane doesn't. In fact they don't even come close. Athletes worth getting that could make a difference are going to visit elsewhere and there will be no comparison. The pathetic excuse for facilities screams out that Tulane doesn't really care about being a player in D-1 athletics.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
netshorty wrote:
+1
golf I appreciate where you are coming from and thanks for the effort. The difference is all of those programs have legitimate D-1 facilities for football and basketball. Tulane doesn't. In fact they don't even come close. Athletes worth getting that could make a difference are going to visit elsewhere and there will be no comparison. The pathetic excuse for facilities screams out that Tulane doesn't really care about being a player in D-1 athletics.
Win....then a decsion has to be made, either get in or get out....The basketball venue needs to be expanded or rebuilt...I am sure expansion will be less than building a totally new playing facility....Football needs to begin the process of building on the Jeff Hwy property or the baseball stadium needs to be dismantled and moved there and the vacated baseball location developed for Football.. a proactive plan and process needs to be in place, I do not mind donating, but I want to see what my money will be paying for !!!
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Houma de Wave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

No bragging here, but I've got you beat on mileage and driving time. Still, I'm way behind you in how many events you attend and how much passion you dump into backing Tulane. Still, our gang (small as it is) in the Bayou area keep coming and keep shaking our heads wondering if we can ever get this thing turned around. I didn't think WF was going to have a stellar year. I thought last week (at Houston) the team played hard (especially on defense) for 4 quarters. This week we played a team (Temple) that had us pegged for what we are...lacking in talent and exposing our extreme weaknesses. I still back WF big time and feel like we will start seeing progress next season. If he wants this to be a jump-step to a bigger job, he's got to have success at Tulane.
Likewise. Disappointing loss especially in the way we were manhandled. This year was probably the most involved I've been with Tulane football in terms of actually going to an away game and staying through every home game.

I still light at the end of the tunnel but coach fritz is going to need time. I looked at temples road grater lineman compared to ours and it was very very very evident our linemen are no where near what CJ or anyone envisioned.

My prediction for Tulane is our bball team will probably get a faster turnaround than football unless mr banks is a program changing qb, but it's still going to come down on whether fritz can get/develop quality linemen.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I think Banks and about 4 to 6 Juco or grad transfers on next years team one RB two DL's and at least two OL and maybe a DB
GreenGears
Low Tide

capwave wrote:Tulane has very little talent and it is showing. I think it is hilarious that people are calling Fritz a flop. He has been here for less than a year. Most people get at least 3 years. Hell, Temple's HC won 2 games his first year. Thank goodness they didn't fire him! You people are a joke. I'm not saying Willie Fritz is a great coach, I'm just saying give him a few years and a couple recruiting classes. The current 2017 class is actually starting to look pretty good. We currently have no talent!!! Give the man a couple years to fix that.
It's frustrating to wait, but I agree with all of your points.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
netshorty wrote:
+1
Win....then a decsion has to be made, either get in or get out....The basketball venue needs to be expanded or rebuilt...I am sure expansion will be less than building a totally new playing facility....Football needs to begin the process of building on the Jeff Hwy property or the baseball stadium needs to be dismantled and moved there and the vacated baseball location developed for Football.. a proactive plan and process needs to be in place, I do not mind donating, but I want to see what my money will be paying for !!!
We agree as to the fact that they need to decide to really be in or officially get out b/c they have been out since 1949. As to the gym it will take a tear down. I have told you before of the changes made since you saw plans over 20-30 years ago. They took it down from 5,000 to 3,200. It can't go onto Mcalister as that is a major thoroughfare. It can't go back towards the UC due to the changes made in the LBC. As for football all facilities need to be on campus. Time is very limited in college. Our football players need it to be on campus and accessible at all times. The swamp land on Jefferson, if it's ever utilized, is for the minor sports. We also agree that we need to be shown the plans. Enough of people saying they were told this or that. If the stadium can truly be buiIt up to 40,000 or more they need to show it. They need to show plans for the football operations building. I can say I know they are looking proactively looking into what can be done with the very limited space on campus. Don't know when we'll get the results of that. If we don't hear follow up on that it means they can't do anything meaningful on campus.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Calling out his players:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... ft_amplify

We've been down this road a lot and it never ends well. I know some will say he's just telling it like it is but this stuff needs to be said to them and kept in the locker room IMHO.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
netshorty wrote:
+1
We agree as to the fact that they need to decide to really be in or officially get out b/c they have been out since 1949. As to the gym it will take a tear down. I have told you before of the changes made since you saw plans over 20-30 years ago. They took it down from 5,000 to 3,200. It can't go onto Mcalister as that is a major thoroughfare. It can't go back towards the UC due to the changes made in the LBC. As for football all facilities need to be on campus. Time is very limited in college. Our football players need it to be on campus and accessible at all times. The swamp land on Jefferson, if it's ever utilized, is for the minor sports. We also agree that we need to be shown the plans. Enough of people saying they were told this or that. If the stadium can truly be buiIt up to 40,000 or more they need to show it. They need to show plans for the football operations building. I can say I know they are looking proactively looking into what can be done with the very limited space on campus. Don't know when we'll get the results of that. If we don't hear follow up on that it means they can't do anything meaningful on campus.
How is McAlister a "major thoroughfare"? You can't drive down it any more. Its a glorified walking path. You could easily go up and over McAlister. That could be the main entrance instead of the Freret side.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
netshorty wrote:
+1
How is McAlister a "major thoroughfare"? You can't drive down it any more. Its a glorified walking path. You could easily go up and over McAlister. That could be the main entrance instead of the Freret side.
It is a major walking thoroughfare for the students that's not going to be interrupted. Not going to happen. even doing what you suggest wouldn't add much. The point stands that if we are to have a legit D-1 basketball arena will take a new arena. The days of wasting money on projects like this that don't solve problems has to end.
msdos
Swell

winwave wrote:Calling out his players:

We've been down this road a lot and it never ends well. I know some will say he's just telling it like it is but this stuff needs to be said to them and kept in the locker room IMHO.
Wow, what an excuse making sack of shit
greenphantom
Swell

msdos wrote:

Wow, what an excuse making sack of sh*t
I love what he said. Fritz didn't call out anyone by name. All he said was that we need tougher players and they need to hit the recruiting trail hard to find those players. Could not agree more.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Win, I like the fact that he is expressing his disgust for everyone, including the Tulane administration, to see and hear. He knows he doesn't have the numbers nor the talent at this time. We're all frustrated and, while it's hard to say or hear, we need to be patient and let WF do what he needs to do to right this ship.
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenphantom wrote:
msdos wrote:

I love what he said. Fritz didn't call out anyone by name. All he said was that we need tougher players and they need to hit the recruiting trail hard to find those players. Could not agree more.
I agree, GP. If everyone played with the same motor Tanzel Smart and Nico Marley do, we'd be a better team. We've had a team of softies for years, its going to take time to change that. Some players will welcome it and change easily, others will never change and it will take time to replace them.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
netshorty
Surge

msdos wrote:

I must have read a different article. There were no excuses in this article. He was talking about fighting for all 60 minutes and recruiting the right kids. I'm as down on fritz as anyone but in my opinion this isn't something to pile on.
RobertM320
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:
I agree, GP. If everyone played with the same motor Tanzel Smart and Nico Marley do, we'd be a better team. We've had a team of softies for years, its going to take time to change that. Some players will welcome it and change easily, others will never change and it will take time to replace them.
I just want to clarify this for everyone. I'm not saying any of the players are physically soft, I just mean that as a team they became used to being coddled by CJ. Self-motivated players like Smart and Marley don't need to be pushed to be tougher, its in their nature. But others have lost the inclination to go 110% every play, regardless of the situation. Its that mental discipline thats not where it needs to be, and that's all part of changing the culture.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I stand by what I posted above. Yes it's true but for those of us here we already knew it. He can express frustration publicly without calling out the players. He's actually been doing this for the last few weeks but this was the most pronounced he has been on it. The losing is wearing on him and it shows by him going public with it. There are better ways to apologize and reach out to the fans than this. It jumps out as excuse making to most. Plus like it or not he's stuck w/a number of these players for a few more seasons.