Wave loses 80-71 to Arizona State

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The game is at 4 on ESPNU. They were picked 11th in the Pac-12. Bobby Hurley is in his second year there and brought in a top 15 recruiting class. They lacked size last year so he has brought in some freshman w/size.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bobby Hurley is a good coach from a first rate basketball family. Yes, he went to Duke, yes, he's a Coach K disciple. But his father is a legendary HS coach in New Jersey, and his brother, whom got him into coaching, is HC at U of Rhode Island. I was arguing for Hurley to be considered were we to fire Conroy a year earlier. This should be an interesting game, let's hope it's a Green Wave victory.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Missing our FT's.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

Maybe we should think about defending at some point this season.
netshorty
Surge

First 10 minutes ok, last 10 minutes were terrible. Morgan is a liability right now.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Missed FT's, silly turnovers and can't finish at the rim. Down 40-29 at half after they go on a 11-3 run to end the half.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote:Missed FT's, silly turnovers and can't finish at the rim. Down 40-29 at half after they go on a 11-3 run to end the half.
FT shooting was almost same between teams. Missed shots at the basket were about the same. The difference is they went to a zone defense that we did NOTHING against. We stayed man and they carved through the lane an nearly half their possessions. ASU plays 4 guards and they out-rebounded us the first half (including a +2 on the offensive boards). We only took 6 shots in the lane (made 2). 3 mid-range jumpers (0-3) and the rest 3pt attempts. Yuck!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The fact is we are missing FT's and missing the front end of one and one's deprives you of opportunities to shoot more. I'm not saying it's the reason we are down but I'm pointing out it's an issue for us that isn't fixed yet. In the lane we have had the ball stripped a lot without getting a shot.
rollinggreen
High Tide

There is and already has been a lot of losses between the football and basketball teams this year. We have good coaches in place but it is not going to happen over night. These kids have a losers mentality and until we can get new players for both, this trend will not change.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We closed it to 3 a few times midway thru the 2nd half. We hit FT's and finished at the rim better. Surprisingly it was Julien who got us going with finishing at the rim. They hit some deep 3's after we closed it. Paul played a good 2nd half which was encouraging. A lot of work to do obviously but progress is being made. This schedule will get us better.
netshorty
Surge

Good effort to make a run to get back in it but we had a half dozen really bad possessions in a row once we drew within 3. In the end we don't play defense well enough to win games right now.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote:We closed it to 3 a few times midway thru the 2nd half. We hit FT's and finished at the rim better. Surprisingly it was Julien who got us going with finishing at the rim. They hit some deep 3's after we closed it. Paul played a good 2nd half which was encouraging. A lot of work to do obviously but progress is being made. This schedule will get us better.
Agree, Julien was the best of our PG this game and Paul did have his best game so far.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I'm very optimistic about our future basketball success. I totally support our coaching hire.

I'm very optimistic about our future football success. I totally support our football coaching hire.

Is it wrong for me to want to beat somebody now? Beat. Somebody. At something.
puffy
Surge

Didn't watch this game, but judging from the box score, it seems the one guy we all thought the team could count on for consistency has been really struggling.

If Morgan can get on track, Tulane can win some of these games.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:I'm very optimistic about our future basketball success. I totally support our coaching hire.

I'm very optimistic about our future football success. I totally support our football coaching hire.

Nope. I feel your pain.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Official story:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2016/11 ... 80-71.aspx

Turnovers were a killer.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote:
I like what is going on lately but even still, I am so freakin tired of losing all the goddam time. I mean we do not surprise anyone ever, it's a dam joke.
Eaglewave
Swell

I want to get excited about us playing better than expected against two majors, but I would hate to be disappointed with a lost to minor major type team on our schedule. Hopefully, we take care of the UNO's and Southern's of our schedule, and pull off a few big wins before American play.
Ball Sumrall!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We don't play good defense plain and simple. Giving up way too many points(85ppg in 4 games). We don't have the talent to just go and outscore teams. We need to play on both ends. Missed at the FT line again. Need to be more consistent there. The guys have improved but not enough to beat the better teams we play.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:We don't play good defense plain and simple. Giving up way too many points(85ppg in 4 games). We don't have the talent to just go and outscore teams. We need to play on both ends. Missed at the FT line again. Need to be more consistent there. The guys have improved but not enough to beat the better teams we play.
Is the lack of defense a reflection of the way the NBA plays? The NBA game is pretty much just an up and down the court game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:We don't play good defense plain and simple. Giving up way too many points(85ppg in 4 games). We don't have the talent to just go and outscore teams. We need to play on both ends. Missed at the FT line again. Need to be more consistent there. The guys have improved but not enough to beat the better teams we play.
Is the lack of defense a reflection of the way the NBA plays? The NBA game is pretty much just an up and down the court game.
Absolutely. That's my take as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I think it's a lack of talent and the turnovers lead to easy transition baskets for our opponents.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:I think it's a lack of talent and the turnovers lead to easy transition baskets for our opponents.
I'd agree that's part of it as well.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
irishWAVE
Trickle

I've been very pleased with our fluidity on offense (most of the time), as well as our competitiveness over the course of a full 40 mins, even against top-tier opponents. It's clear the coaching has had an enormous effect on these players, and the team should only continue to improve over the course of the season. I think the future is very bright for Green Wave MBB.

Besides turnovers, our biggest issue through 4 games has undoubtedly been our foul rate. We've been averaging just over 25 fouls per game, which ranks close to last in the NCAA. As a result, we've given up 118 free throws through 4 games. Part of this is certainly due to the opponents we've been playing, a few of whom have had a significant size advantage over us. On top of this, the NCAA is making a huge push to make the game less physical, and have been calling many fouls in the early parts of this season that they wouldn't have called in years past. As our guys continue to adjust to these rule changes on the defensive end, their foul rates should hopefully go down, which will lead to a lot less extra points at the free throw line. On top of this, if we can draw more fouls on our end and make our free throws at a higher percentage, we should be able to win our fair share of games against these types of opponents moving forward.

Once we get a little more size on the team next season, watch out...
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:I think it's a lack of talent and the turnovers lead to easy transition baskets for our opponents.
I'd agree that's part of it as well.
That's partially because our opponents play defense.
Tulane Class of 1981