SMU Breaks Tulane's Heart 35-31

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
glennc
Low Tide

I Understand what all of you are saying concerning my post. You make some good points, however i have to see more from recruiting because so far we have commits from players that are not heavily recruited. Also i don't buy that crap that the number of stars a player has coming out of high school means nothing. We are loaded with 2 star players and lose, while teams with 4 and 5 star players win.

RobertM320
Green Wave

glennc wrote:I Understand what all of you are saying concerning my post. You make some good points, however i have to see more from recruiting because so far we have commits from players that are not heavily recruited. Also i don't buy that crap that the number of stars a player has coming out of high school means nothing. We are loaded with 2 star players and lose, while teams with 4 and 5 star players win.
You can forget about getting 5* players. An occasional 4 star, maybe. If you can get half a class of 3*s you'd be fine. Look at Tulsa. Inches away from being 7-1 and ranked. Dane Evans? 3*. James Flanders and Keevan Lucas? 3*. Justin Hobbs? 2*. Their team is just 2 and 3 star players, but they've got playmakers that fit their system. We don't yet. We forget that even last years recruiting class was done in a month. Fritz didn't have the same start he had this year. We've got Kaylen Wiggins of Florida and Dane Ledford of Texas coming in next year as QBs. Both are undefeated this season, so they must be doing something right.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
glennc wrote:I Understand what all of you are saying concerning my post. You make some good points, however i have to see more from recruiting because so far we have commits from players that are not heavily recruited. Also i don't buy that crap that the number of stars a player has coming out of high school means nothing. We are loaded with 2 star players and lose, while teams with 4 and 5 star players win.
You can forget about getting 5* players. An occasional 4 star, maybe. If you can get half a class of 3*s you'd be fine. Look at Tulsa. Inches away from being 7-1 and ranked. Dane Evans? 3*. James Flanders and Keevan Lucas? 3*. Justin Hobbs? 2*. Their team is just 2 and 3 star players, but they've got playmakers that fit their system. We don't yet. We forget that even last years recruiting class was done in a month. Fritz didn't have the same start he had this year. We've got Kaylen Wiggins of Florida and Dane Ledford of Texas coming in next year as QBs. Both are undefeated this season, so they must be doing something right.
About a dozen (of roughly 300-350) 4* recruits commit to a G5/year. The last one we got didn't come anywhere close to living up to his ranking. Glennc started his rant against Fritz by condemning his on-field results. We all see with our eyes that the team, despite being talent depleted, is much better than it was under the previous coach. Now he changes his argument, saying we have lousy recruiting. I just think he's trolling.

Back on thread topic: Fritz is really anxious to get his first AAC win. You can tell from his post game comments that it's really eating at him. Big contrast to CJ's remarks, which were typically "we played hard, I'm proud of my team, we'll work to fix what went wrong." I'm thinking this team is about where I thought it would be, and definitely pointed in the right direction. We need a playmaker at QB, and should be recruiting every 3* dual threat QB in the country. The offense, IMHO, is just a good option QB away from putting up AAC game winning numbers. The D, although losing some key pieces, will be equally as good next year if the O can take a big step forward. Another poster says a certain Senior LB is our biggest liability on D. I would argue that he's one of two or three great players on D, but our offense has been our defense's biggest liability.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bigschtick
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Glen, let'ls be honest with each other here, Fritz is a d1 coach, and we have seen improvement across the board with this team. This time last year we were finding new ways to get blown out. Should we have won this game? Yes. Was there questionable play calling? Yes. Can all these be fixed by Fritz? Yes. This is year 1 for Fritz when he is trying to change a culture of losing into a culture of winning. His players have certainly bought in and it's only a matter of time before we see dividends. Give him zone type linemen instead of these "road-grater aka soft and slow" type linemen we have, and most importantly, give him a qb that can work his system and then you can judge him.

Our Greenies played tough and passionate yesterday. When we took a 10 point lead, there was a GREEN WAVE chant across the stadium. First time I've heard that chant in 3 years.... Yes I am disappointed in this loss and I can guarantee you Fritz and everyone of us feels this way. This is another game where we can chalk it up to growing pains. It happens. It's part of growing and changing the culture of losing to winning. The next part is that we now have to learn how to protect leads better. Just another learning curve our players will pick up under Fritz' tutelage.
I felt this way a few games ago. Not anymore. This just sounds like the same old moral victory, everything is looking up, Yoggie mentality. We've regressed for several weeks in a row now. Rewind to the 1st year of CJ, and the same sh*t was said on these forums. Sorry but not sorry. Until winning happens, I won't act like it is or will.

My feelings exactly, unfortunately !
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
wave97
Swell

We have been fortunate to have a good, to very good defense for most of the last four years. We have been solid at CB, DT & DE and that has made our defense effective (Lorenzo, Taurean, Parry, Chris Davenport, Julius, Kenny Welcome, Royce, Ade, Tanzel & Sean). Next year our DE's should be good and I look forward to improvement from our young CB's (if Parry leaves). Regardless of whether some o-lineman return to the d-line, next year we will have one returning impact player up front at DT(Sean), that's frightening. I hope we are able to find a QB who can run this offense and a couple of Juco DT's. If we don't it is going to be ugly next year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
About a dozen (of roughly 300-350) 4* recruits commit to a G5/year. The last one we got didn't come anywhere close to living up to his ranking. Glennc started his rant against Fritz by condemning his on-field results. We all see with our eyes that the team, despite being talent depleted, is much better than it was under the previous coach. Now he changes his argument, saying we have lousy recruiting. I just think he's trolling.

Back on thread topic: Fritz is really anxious to get his first AAC win. You can tell from his post game comments that it's really eating at him. Big contrast to CJ's remarks, which were typically "we played hard, I'm proud of my team, we'll work to fix what went wrong." I'm thinking this team is about where I thought it would be, and definitely pointed in the right direction. We need a playmaker at QB, and should be recruiting every 3* dual threat QB in the country. The offense, IMHO, is just a good option QB away from putting up AAC game winning numbers. The D, although losing some key pieces, will be equally as good next year if the O can take a big step forward. Another poster says a certain Senior LB is our biggest liability on D. I would argue that he's one of two or three great players on D, but our offense has been our defense's biggest liability.
Like I said above we obviously need a QB and that's where most fans focus b/c he's the most visible player on the field. However if we don't drastically improve the O-Line it won't matter who we get at QB. The line is just that bad. We have to hope he lands some JUCO linemen or it won't look much different next season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

The Box Score: It was a tale of 2 halves where the mean greenie started flat and then picked up momentum only to have our souls punched in the dong on the very last play.

Total Offense:
TU: 391 yards SMU: 439

Passing offense:
TU: 13/26 for 164 yards, 2tds, 1 int SMU: 16/31 for 302 yards, 2 tds, 2 int

Rushing offense:
TU: 46 attempts for 227 yards, 2 tds SMU: 43 attempts for 137 yards, 3 tds
(SMU gashed us all day on the edge with long runs...)

Receiving:
TU: Encalade led the day with 4 catches for 75 yards and 2 tds, Hilliard had 3 catches for 35, Larry Dace 2 catches for 25 yards, Trey Scott (SIGHTING!) 2 catches for 14 yards

SMU: Prosche had 6 catches for 164 yards and 2 tds... Castille had 3 for 61 yards.. (not going to name names, but some DB and Safety fell asleep at the wheel)

ST: No muffed punts and DiRocco was solid 1/1 with a 43 yard field goal.

Time of Possession:
TU: 31:39 SMU: 28:21

Turnovers:
TU:1 SMU: 2 (Tulane is +1 again in turn over battle and still lost. That stat of being + in turnovers and chance of winning is not going Tulane's way..)

3rd down conversion rate:
TU: 4/16 (downright awful still) SMU: 10/17

Lots of build upon from this game. We have to learn how to protect leads better and not have a last minute implosion. This is another game that got away from us that we should have won (late 4th quarter lead only to watch it disappear). I am going to chalk this loss towards growing pains. We are starting to see moments of offensive flashes by our team, but it's evident that we are still a ways away. On to UCF and hopefully Fritz can find his first AAC win.
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Lots of build upon from this game. We have to learn how to protect leads better and not have a last minute implosion. This is another game that got away from us that we should have won (late 4th quarter lead only to watch it disappear). I am going to chalk this loss towards growing pains. We are starting to see moments of offensive flashes by our team, but it's evident that we are still a ways away. On to UCF and hopefully Fritz can find his first AAC win.
Can't be too upset with them. The Saints have made a habit of losing games just like this lately.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:We have been fortunate to have a good, to very good defense for most of the last four years. We have been solid at CB, DT & DE and that has made our defense effective (Lorenzo, Taurean, Parry, Chris Davenport, Julius, Kenny Welcome, Royce, Ade, Tanzel & Sean). Next year our DE's should be good and I look forward to improvement from our young CB's (if Parry leaves). Regardless of whether some o-lineman return to the d-line, next year we will have one returning impact player up front at DT(Sean), that's frightening. I hope we are able to find a QB who can run this offense and a couple of Juco DT's. If we don't it is going to be ugly next year.
Our secondary has not been all that great this year. We've had a couple of interceptions that were simply horrible throws, and an athletic play here and there. But for the most part we have given up a whole lot of long pass plays in just about every game. Even Southern had a couple of long pass plays. And it's not just the subs; Parry has been burned quite a few times, too. We often seem to have good coverage but don't look for the ball and get beat by the receiver making a play on the ball while our DB has his back to the line of scrimmage.

The clown that accuses Nico Marley as being the weak link on our D should really focus on our secondary. It's been flat out bad.
Aegis
High Tide

I was at the Tulsa game and I can say without out a doubt that Tulsa had better athletes across the board. It was a bad day for us but the Greenies are improving week to week. On a macro level we are still a ways from being good. But on a micro level the attention to detail is impressive. That's where the real change should be judged. Give it time.
Pepper
Swell

Also consider the fact that the wide receivers our defensive backs practice against are inferior to the one's we play against on Saturday's.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
msdos
Swell

Just saw this https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 2359795712 Now where have I heard this before?

(Hint: Tob Boledo)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hope that Coach Fritz sees that the talent level needed to win in the AAC is significantly higher than that of the SunBelt. Good coaching, a scheme not seen often and solid fundamentals win a lot of games in the SunBelt. It even allows a team like GSU (with players recruited to run the option) to go undefeated the first year moving up from a dominant FCS team to the FBS ranks in the SunBelt. But there's a lot better coaching (and MUCH better paid coaching) across the board in the AAC. Scheme and coaching alone will not win games. We need to step up the recruiting and have classes that are at least middle of the conference rankings to win.

I think the team is much better coached and a better team than we were at any point under the previous regime. But until the talent level rises we're not going to win many games in this conference. It's not a P5, and may even be "just" as good as C-USA was in it's heyday, before the re-alignment we missed out on at the turn of the century. But it's a huge step up from the C-USA we left a couple of years ago, and a little bit bigger step up from the SunBelt.

At least we don't have to worry about Coach Fritz being hired away from us for another year or two, minimum. My guess is that we'll field a team in 2018 that will open eyes; whether or not a P5 comes knocking for Coach Fritz to run this scheme remains to be seen. Yes, we all know it's not a traditional Triple Option. But it is an option based scheme, featuring the dive play as an option on a very large percentage of the snaps. He runs it out of a shotgun (or "pistol") formation, but it's definitely an option attack. It's nothing like a pro offense, and that will prevent Fritz from being considered for a number of high profile jobs in the future.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:Just saw this https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 2359795712 Now where have I heard this before?

IF it's true is it wrong to say it? I can think of a single play that changes the outcome of the game. 3rd and 25 on the last drive...we prevent a first down there (and probably on 4th down, too) and game over, Tulane wins.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
msdos wrote:Just saw this https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 2359795712 Now where have I heard this before?

IF it's true is it wrong to say it? I can think of a single play that changes the outcome of the game. 3rd and 25 on the last drive...we prevent a first down there (and probably on 4th down, too) and game over, Tulane wins.
To be fair to msdos, that could be - and likely was - said about every Tulane loss this year aside from Tulsa (Wake/Navy/Memphis/SMU), so, even though the statement is true, it's something that Tulane fans have been hearing throughout this season and it may remind some Tulane fans of similar statements made throughout many of the prior coaching regimes.

Personally, I think Tulane is playing better overall, so I won't have many negative things to say about the coaching staff unless Tulane doesn't win any conference games.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

To be fair to msdos, that could be - and likely was - said about every Tulane loss this year aside from Tulsa (Wake/Navy/Memphis/SMU), so, even though the statement is true, it's something that Tulane fans have been hearing throughout this season and it may remind some Tulane fans of similar statements made throughout many of the prior coaching regimes.

Personally, I think Tulane is playing better overall, so I won't have many negative things to say about the coaching staff unless Tulane doesn't win any conference games.
The difference is, previous regimes would say that after a 37-7 loss. Its one thing to say it, its another thing to actually be factual.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

D-Duh. Of course he realizes the recruiting has to pick up. Everyone sees it. The question is will our lack of D-1 facilities keep us from being able to recruit at the needed level. Going after JUCO's is a good stop gap measure but for the long haul our facilities need to be addressed ASAP.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Pepper wrote:Also consider the fact that the wide receivers our defensive backs practice against are inferior to the one's we play against on Saturday's.
The same can be said for the QB's our DB's face in practice not being as good as those we play against in games.
msdos
Swell

I'm simply pointing out that Fritz is speaking like Toledo, while have a first season much like Toledo. I remember us being a play away in at least 3 games, maybe 4. Everyone saying that he's a great coach that will get it done, this place sounds just like the Ye Olde forum in the early Toledo days.

I'm not sold one bit on Fritz.
RobertM320
Green Wave

msdos wrote:I'm simply pointing out that Fritz is speaking like Toledo, while have a first season much like Toledo. I remember us being a play away in at least 3 games, maybe 4. Everyone saying that he's a great coach that will get it done, this place sounds just like the Ye Olde forum in the early Toledo days.

I would have never guessed. :roll:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:I'm simply pointing out that Fritz is speaking like Toledo, while have a first season much like Toledo. I remember us being a play away in at least 3 games, maybe 4. Everyone saying that he's a great coach that will get it done, this place sounds just like the Ye Olde forum in the early Toledo days.

Really? You've done nothing but bash him at every opportunity.
msdos
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
msdos wrote: I'm not sold one bit on Fritz.
I would have never guessed. :roll:
msdos
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Really? You've done nothing but bash him at every opportunity.
Fritz will leave Tulane with a sub .500 record
RobertM320
Green Wave

msdos wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Really? You've done nothing but bash him at every opportunity.
Fritz will leave Tulane with a sub .500 record

Could be true. But I'll take 3-9, 7-6, 7-6, 8-5 and 3 consecutive bowl appearances as being far better consecutive seasons than anything we've seen since 79-81.
GreenLantern
Riptide

MSD, I get that you do not like Fritz. Just curious...who were you hoping would be tapped as head coach?