SMU Breaks Tulane's Heart 35-31

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
torbida
Surge

GreenLantern wrote:Most painful game of the year? I don't think so. I was nauseous when all the Tulane holding penalties were called. I was sickened by the interference calls on Tulane and the lack of same against SMWho. I was dumbfounded by the defensive delay of game penalty (will someone please explain as I was at the game and have not watched the replay). The two 3rd-and-forever conversions by SMU made me believe God was on their side. The ability of their QB to complete two 30+ yard passes while on the run within the final 6 minutes furthered the argument for divine intervention.

But the most awful game to watch in recent memory? No. If you think it was, you must have missed last week's performance against Tulsa. I left that game thinking I might give up hope for Tulane. To say we were inept would be quite the understatement. Games like that are program killers. They breed the sort of indifference that will even cause alums to turn their backs and feel envy at the folk wearing (gasp!) purple.

This game was a heartbreaker. However, if you feel that we haven't continued to improve (especially after last week and particularly with our limited talent and injuries), you need to do a better job of managing your expectations.

I was talking in terms of losing a winnable game 1987 1990 LSU 1989 Ole Miss . The Tulsa game was disgusting cut it off 2nd qtr

wave97
Swell

Houma de Wave wrote:
wave97 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
wave97 wrote:Nico Marley is the single biggest liability on our defense. What the fu*ck are you fools looking at?
I'm watching the dvr of the game. Nico is by far NOT the biggest liability on our defense. I know what I see, and more importantly, TWO DIFFERENT COACHING STAFFS see the same thing and have Marley on the field as much as possible. These guys have forgot more about football than either you or I remember, "wave97." They do this (coach defense) for a living. I trust their judgement a whole lot more than an armchair naysayer that's got a hard on for dissing Nico Marley. My guess is you were once told you're too short to play linebacker.

WATCH THE GAME. He's either involved in the tackle, or around the ball on 75% of the plays. It's not just me and a few internet buddies that like what Marley does, it's about a half a dozen guys that coach defense for a living that think he's worthy of being on the field almost every play for all four years of his college career. WHO DO YOU THINK MIGHT BE WRONG?

And yes, the stadium did fill up a bunch more. Given the @23k "real" capacity number, I'd bet we have close to 15-16K.
I simply watch the game and reach my own conclusion that Nico Marley has become a parody of himself. It's actually entertaining to watch him come in third on the tackle and jump up stomping & gesturing in great demonstrations to the crowds. We currently have weak-side lb's who I think are better than our little 5'6" attention seeking dynamo.

Marley ended up with 9 solo tackles (highest total on the day) and 1 assist, for a total of 10. Jarrod Franklin had 6 and 5. Zach Harris has emerged at LB as a player. But, Marley remains our best at his position in spite of his size and celebrations.
Tackles at the LB position are an odd statistic that result from the play of the teammates in front of you. I already feel bad for whoever is lining up behind our d-line next year. Zach Harris should at least experience what it is like to play behind Tanzel & Sean before he gets destroyed next year.
When your d-line is good the linebackers are your leading tacklers.
When your d-line is inferior your Free Safety is the leading tackler.
glennc
Low Tide

Let's try again. I posted this yesterday. Fritz is not a D1 coach, however we haven't been a D1 team since bowden. Thanks Dickson you pathetic idiot
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Here are two photos that I snapped. Didn't get the premium sections, but they had much more people sparsely spread out than most games.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

glennc wrote:Let's try again. I posted this yesterday. Fritz is not a D1 coach, however we haven't been a D1 team since bowden. Thanks Dickson you pathetic idiot
Glen, let'ls be honest with each other here, Fritz is a d1 coach, and we have seen improvement across the board with this team. This time last year we were finding new ways to get blown out. Should we have won this game? Yes. Was there questionable play calling? Yes. Can all these be fixed by Fritz? Yes. This is year 1 for Fritz when he is trying to change a culture of losing into a culture of winning. His players have certainly bought in and it's only a matter of time before we see dividends. Give him zone type linemen instead of these "road-grater aka soft and slow" type linemen we have, and most importantly, give him a qb that can work his system and then you can judge him.

Our Greenies played tough and passionate yesterday. When we took a 10 point lead, there was a GREEN WAVE chant across the stadium. First time I've heard that chant in 3 years.... Yes I am disappointed in this loss and I can guarantee you Fritz and everyone of us feels this way. This is another game where we can chalk it up to growing pains. It happens. It's part of growing and changing the culture of losing to winning. The next part is that we now have to learn how to protect leads better. Just another learning curve our players will pick up under Fritz' tutelage.
1989alum
Low Tide

Well said GreenPuddle. No one is happy with the recent losses but I truly believe we have a coach that wants to win and knows how to win. CJ showed little interest in either. It will take time.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Question....late in the game Tulane had an opportunity to run otu teh clock and face a fourth and one....was Lazderick Thompson the running back on the play ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dupergreenie
Surge

glennc wrote:Let's try again. I posted this yesterday. Fritz is not a D1 coach, however we haven't been a D1 team since bowden. Thanks Dickson you pathetic idiot
You are an idiot and obviously knows nothing about football or you are trying to become the new Jonathan troll.
netshorty
Surge

golfnut69 wrote:Question....late in the game Tulane had an opportunity to run otu teh clock and face a fourth and one....was Lazderick Thompson the running back on the play ?
Hilliard was the one who rushed for no gain on that 4th down.
RobertM320
Green Wave

OOC
L10-65 @ Georgia Tech
L 7-37 v Duke
W34-31 @ Army
W38-7 v Maine

Conf
L 14-31 @ Navy
L 13-41 @Memphis
L 21-49 @SMU
L 34-45 v Tulsa

OOC
L 3-7 @Wake Forest
W41-39 v UL-L
W31-24 @UMass
W66-21 v Southern
Conf
L 14-21 v Navy
L 14-24 v Memphis
L 31-35 v SMU
L 27-50 @ Tulsa

Its only a one win difference, and its still 0-4 in conference play, but I see four competitive losses out of five. In 2015, I see none.

I
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:2015
OOC
L10-65 @ Georgia Tech
L 7-37 v Duke
W34-31 @ Army
W38-7 v Maine

Conf
L 14-31 @ Navy
L 13-41 @Memphis
L 21-49 @SMU
L 34-45 v Tulsa

OOC
L 3-7 @Wake Forest
W41-39 v UL-L
W31-24 @UMass
W66-21 v Southern
Conf
L 14-21 v Navy
L 14-24 v Memphis
L 31-35 v SMU
L 27-50 @ Tulsa

Its only a one win difference, and its still 0-4 in conference play, but I see four competitive losses out of five. In 2015, I see none.

I
Two reasons. First our defense is improved and second our offense runs the ball 80% of the time which shortens the game and keeps it close for the most part.
In conf only 2015 we scored 82pts
In conf only 2016 we scored 86pts
So there's really not much if any improvement on offense.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Dupergreenie
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
OOC
L10-65 @ Georgia Tech
L 7-37 v Duke
W34-31 @ Army
W38-7 v Maine

Conf
L 14-31 @ Navy
L 13-41 @Memphis
L 21-49 @SMU
L 34-45 v Tulsa

OOC
L 3-7 @Wake Forest
W41-39 v UL-L
W31-24 @UMass
W66-21 v Southern
Conf
L 14-21 v Navy
L 14-24 v Memphis
L 31-35 v SMU
L 27-50 @ Tulsa

I
Two reasons. First our defense is improved and second our offense runs the ball 80% of the time which shortens the game and keeps it close for the most part.
While the 'offense may not have improved' the coaches have at least seen what the teams strengths are and uses that to keep us in the game. Under the previous staff I would be willing to bet that Tulane would be 1-7 or possibly 2-6. Also speaking of the defense being better I have noticed that there seems to be less 'missed tackles ' compared to years past. I could be wrong but our tackling seems to be somewhat improved.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Glen, let'ls be honest with each other here, Fritz is a d1 coach, and we have seen improvement across the board with this team. This time last year we were finding new ways to get blown out. Should we have won this game? Yes. Was there questionable play calling? Yes. Can all these be fixed by Fritz? Yes. This is year 1 for Fritz when he is trying to change a culture of losing into a culture of winning. His players have certainly bought in and it's only a matter of time before we see dividends. Give him zone type linemen instead of these "road-grater aka soft and slow" type linemen we have, and most importantly, give him a qb that can work his system and then you can judge him.

Our Greenies played tough and passionate yesterday. When we took a 10 point lead, there was a GREEN WAVE chant across the stadium. First time I've heard that chant in 3 years.... Yes I am disappointed in this loss and I can guarantee you Fritz and everyone of us feels this way. This is another game where we can chalk it up to growing pains. It happens. It's part of growing and changing the culture of losing to winning. The next part is that we now have to learn how to protect leads better. Just another learning curve our players will pick up under Fritz' tutelage.
Well said.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dupergreenie wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
OOC
L10-65 @ Georgia Tech
L 7-37 v Duke
W34-31 @ Army
W38-7 v Maine

Conf
L 14-31 @ Navy
L 13-41 @Memphis
L 21-49 @SMU
L 34-45 v Tulsa

OOC
L 3-7 @Wake Forest
W41-39 v UL-L
W31-24 @UMass
W66-21 v Southern
Conf
L 14-21 v Navy
L 14-24 v Memphis
L 31-35 v SMU
L 27-50 @ Tulsa

I
While the 'offense may not have improved' the coaches have at least seen what the teams strengths are and uses that to keep us in the game. Under the previous staff I would be willing to bet that Tulane would be 1-7 or possibly 2-6. Also speaking of the defense being better I have noticed that there seems to be less 'missed tackles ' compared to years past. I could be wrong but our tackling seems to be somewhat improved.
We are tackling better this year. We can do better and we will but it is much improved.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
OOC
L10-65 @ Georgia Tech
L 7-37 v Duke
W34-31 @ Army
W38-7 v Maine

Conf
L 14-31 @ Navy
L 13-41 @Memphis
L 21-49 @SMU
L 34-45 v Tulsa

OOC
L 3-7 @Wake Forest
W41-39 v UL-L
W31-24 @UMass
W66-21 v Southern
Conf
L 14-21 v Navy
L 14-24 v Memphis
L 31-35 v SMU
L 27-50 @ Tulsa

I
Can you imagine CJ coming up with a game plan of shortening the games? Fritz ain't no dummy and after he evaluated our team through spring ball and camp, he knew this would probably be our best shot of winning games on our schedule.

It's sad we haven't had any improvement on offense in conference play, but we're due for 1 good conference game play by our team this year. I feel it coming. In Fritz I trust! ROLL DAMN WAVE!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:Question....late in the game Tulane had an opportunity to run otu teh clock and face a fourth and one....was Lazderick Thompson the running back on the play ?
Hilliard was the one who rushed for no gain on that 4th down.

Lets see.. U have one big bruising back who knocks defenders backward when they tackle him and U run Hillard ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Glen, let'ls be honest with each other here, Fritz is a d1 coach, and we have seen improvement across the board with this team. This time last year we were finding new ways to get blown out. Should we have won this game? Yes. Was there questionable play calling? Yes. Can all these be fixed by Fritz? Yes. This is year 1 for Fritz when he is trying to change a culture of losing into a culture of winning. His players have certainly bought in and it's only a matter of time before we see dividends. Give him zone type linemen instead of these "road-grater aka soft and slow" type linemen we have, and most importantly, give him a qb that can work his system and then you can judge him.

I felt this way a few games ago. Not anymore. This just sounds like the same old moral victory, everything is looking up, Yoggie mentality. We've regressed for several weeks in a row now. Rewind to the 1st year of CJ, and the same shit was said on these forums. Sorry but not sorry. Until winning happens, I won't act like it is or will.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Dupergreenie
Surge

NOLABigSteve wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Glen, let'ls be honest with each other here, Fritz is a d1 coach, and we have seen improvement across the board with this team. This time last year we were finding new ways to get blown out. Should we have won this game? Yes. Was there questionable play calling? Yes. Can all these be fixed by Fritz? Yes. This is year 1 for Fritz when he is trying to change a culture of losing into a culture of winning. His players have certainly bought in and it's only a matter of time before we see dividends. Give him zone type linemen instead of these "road-grater aka soft and slow" type linemen we have, and most importantly, give him a qb that can work his system and then you can judge him.

I felt this way a few games ago. Not anymore. This just sounds like the same old moral victory, everything is looking up, Yoggie mentality. We've regressed for several weeks in a row now. Rewind to the 1st year of CJ, and the same sh*t was said on these forums. Sorry but not sorry. Until winning happens, I won't act like it is or will.
Are you serious Steve? Can you seriously not see a difference from last year to this year? You are sounding like an ignorant bitter former player who got denied access to a practice.

I really respect the fact that you played for the Wave and would love to speak face to face so nothing you or I said was misunderstood/typed (which is easy on an Internet forum), but this coaching staff is light years better than the last two.... Possibly three staffs.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Dupergreenie wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:

I felt this way a few games ago. Not anymore. This just sounds like the same old moral victory, everything is looking up, Yoggie mentality. We've regressed for several weeks in a row now. Rewind to the 1st year of CJ, and the same sh*t was said on these forums. Sorry but not sorry. Until winning happens, I won't act like it is or will.
Are you serious Steve? Can you seriously not see a difference from last year to this year? You are sounding like an ignorant bitter former player who got denied access to a practice.

I really respect the fact that you played for the Wave and would love to speak face to face so nothing you or I said was misunderstood/typed (which is easy on an Internet forum), but this coaching staff is light years better than the last two.... Possibly three staffs.
Serious as a heart attack. And no, I've not been denied access to a practice or anything like that. I'm not saying this coaching staff is the same as the previous. But I also can't say they are better. At the end of the day, the outcome speaks for itself. I want to win. I want to win bad. We'll agree to disagree, but the things I am seeing don't make me very optimistic.
Roll Wave!
Dupergreenie
Surge

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:

Serious as a heart attack. And no, I've not been denied access to a practice or anything like that. I'm not saying this coaching staff is the same as the previous. But I also can't say they are better. At the end of the day, the outcome speaks for itself. I want to win. I want to win bad. We'll agree to disagree, but the things I am seeing don't make me very optimistic.
I respect that but the close losses encourage me. The team doesn't give up like teams of the past. I think with a recruiting class or two results will be better. I apologize for my comments. They were out of line. I still wouldn't mind talking to you in person.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Dupergreenie wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:

I respect that but the close losses encourage me. The team doesn't give up like teams of the past. I think with a recruiting class or two results will be better. I apologize for my comments. They were out of line. I still wouldn't mind talking to you in person.
All good man. I hear where you are coming from.
Roll Wave!
Dupergreenie
Surge

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:

All good man. I hear where you are coming from.
We all want the Wave to win. I personally think that this staff will turn it around. I look at the UMass game and SMU game..... Tulane went down early in both games and fought back in both (lost one and won one), but under CJ the team loses by 30 in both games.

Once again I am sorry for my comments. I am just protective of my greenies. ;) :headbash: :headbash: :headbash: :headbash:
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think you're being a bit harsh, Steve. Did we really regress against Tulsa, or did we just run into a team that's much better than we realized? They followed their win against us at home by going on the road and destroying Memphis, 59-30. If they get an extra half yard against Houston, they're 7-1, ranked and undefeated in conference. And SMU. Yes, we should have won. But we fought back from down 21-10 at half to take a 10 point lead. When was the last time we had a team capable of doing that? Back when you played maybe?

I go back again to 1978-79, Larry Smith's 3rd and 4th years. We were 4-7 in 1978, and that was following seasons of 2-9 and 3-8. My four years in school coincided with his tenure. We lost several close games that year, including a 3 point loss on the road against a ranked Stanford team. We lost by 18 to a ranked Pittsburgh team, after losing 48-0 the year before. We lost by 10 @ Ga Tech, after losing by 24 at home the year before. And we suffered a demoralizing 13-7 loss to TCU, a doormat at that time, on homecoming. Then 1979 came. All of a sudden that 3 point Stanford loss became a 33-10 victory. We beat TCU 33-19. A Boston College team that we struggled to beat 9-3 in 1978 became a 41-8 blowout victory in 1979.

What I'm saying is, I've been around a lot longer than you. I've seen a lot more games. Yes, I want to win, probably more than you, because I've experienced more of the losing, just like your dad and some of the others on here. I'm not looking for moral victories. Losing sucks. I'm trying to look at facts without being biased by my fandom and there's no way anyone can say we're not a better coached, better prepared team than we were a year ago. Are we short on talent? Yes. We're also short on numbers, period. We're playing with one hand behind our back, and yet, there are positive signs. I know its hard to be patient, but it will pay off.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I think you're being a bit harsh, Steve. Did we really regress against Tulsa, or did we just run into a team that's much better than we realized? They followed their win against us at home by going on the road and destroying Memphis, 59-30. If they get an extra half yard against Houston, they're 7-1, ranked and undefeated in conference. And SMU. Yes, we should have won. But we fought back from down 21-10 at half to take a 10 point lead. When was the last time we had a team capable of doing that? Back when you played maybe?

I go back again to 1978-79, Larry Smith's 3rd and 4th years. We were 4-7 in 1978, and that was following seasons of 2-9 and 3-8. My four years in school coincided with his tenure. We lost several close games that year, including a 3 point loss on the road against a ranked Stanford team. We lost by 18 to a ranked Pittsburgh team, after losing 48-0 the year before. We lost by 10 @ Ga Tech, after losing by 24 at home the year before. And we suffered a demoralizing 13-7 loss to TCU, a doormat at that time, on homecoming. Then 1979 came. All of a sudden that 3 point Stanford loss became a 33-10 victory. We beat TCU 33-19. A Boston College team that we struggled to beat 9-3 in 1978 became a 41-8 blowout victory in 1979.

What I'm saying is, I've been around a lot longer than you. I've seen a lot more games. Yes, I want to win, probably more than you, because I've experienced more of the losing, just like your dad and some of the others on here. I'm not looking for moral victories. Losing sucks. I'm trying to look at facts without being biased by my fandom and there's no way anyone can say we're not a better coached, better prepared team than we were a year ago. Are we short on talent? Yes. We're also short on numbers, period. We're playing with one hand behind our back, and yet, there are positive signs. I know its hard to be patient, but it will pay off.
+1. The coaching is there and the improvement on that end is clear to see. The question is talent acquisition. It is is the one area Fritz is not known for and then we have the facility issues. We can only hope he figures that out. The many scholarship offers out to JUCO's is a good sign. I'll add this. As usual fans tend to focus on the QB as he is the most visible player. Yes we certainly need one to come in who can run this system. However much more importantly we need quality offensive linemen. Our QB's have no time to pass. As soon as they are back there the defense is on them. That adds up on the QB physically and mentally. This has been going on for far too long. It needs to addressed ASAP and that's where the JUCO's come in.
Pepper
Swell

We are headed in the right direction. At the moment we are playing with one hand behind our back but I see a coaching difference and a mindset that is way different from the previous administration. OL & QB can be band-aided with JC transfers while we recruit younger guys to bridge the depth.

Oh and whoever stated Nico Marley was a liability on this defense really doesn't know football. Not only does he make plays but his leadership and intangibles that he brings to the defense are what makes him a joy to watch. If a certain Offensive lineman played with his motor we'd be a better offense.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.