Wave wins over USL in a thriller 41-39

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't see any games that are obvious wins remaining on our schedule if we play the way we've played all year against FBS competition (save for the OT's!) That doesn't mean we won't win any more games, it means I don't think we're markedly better than any opponent that remains. IF (and it's a HUGE IF) we play like we did in the OT's we'll win more than a few more and have a shot at getting to 6 wins. But if we revert to the young, mistake prone, one dimensional team we showed in our first 12 quarters of FBS play, we're in for a long and frustrating two months.

There's 8 games remaining on our schedule. There's plenty of time (and room) to improve. Yes, our D is solid, but there are teams on our schedule that have very good D, and some with very good O as well. At least it's interesting and not the "makes me want to puke" show that we saw most of the past two years.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Well, I had Tulane pegged at 5 with Southern, ULL, UMass, SMU, and UConn in the preseason, and I still believe that Tulane will win those games. Tulane's defense will keep the team relevant, but the fact that Tulane's D caused four turnovers while Tulane's O only had one and Tulane was only tied with ULL at the end of the regulation makes it difficult to get to excited at the moment.
I agree with that. The key will be whether the OT passing game can translate to regular game time, or was it just a factor of exhaustion on the part of the ULL defense. If we can improve and be able to make plays like that on a regular basis, teams won't be able to stack the box. Luckily, we should get better as the schedule gets tougher. The team we see by end of season @ Uconn should be much better than what we saw against Wake Forest and Navy.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Last edited by winwave on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

To close this game post out: Here's the box scores and numbers for the game:

Time of Possession:
TU: 28:50 Crawdads: 31:10

Turnovers:
TU: 1 ULL: 4

First Downs:
TU:14 ULL: 20

3rd Down Conversions:
TU: (COVER YOUR DAMN EYES) 0-16..... ULL: 8-28

Total Offensive Yards:
TU:311 ULL:377

Rushing Yards:
TU: 130 yards on 48 attempts; 2.7 yards per attempt ULL: 137 yards on 63 attempts; 2.1 yards per attempt
Hilliard: 16 attempts for 49 yards
Rounds: 10 attempts for 45 yards
Thompson: 7 attempts for 30 yards
Brantley: 7 attempts for 8 yards

Passing:
TU: 13/26 for 188 yards and 4 tds, 1 int! ULL:19/38 for 240 yards, 2 tds, 2 ints
GC: 10/23, 4 tds, 1 int, 165 yards
Brantley: 3/3 for 16 yards

Receiving:
Encalade: 10 receptions for 103 yards, 3 tds!
mooney: 3 receptions for 51 yards, 1 td.
Breaux: 1 reception for 16 yards
Hilliard: 1 reception for 10 yards

Special Teams:
DiRocca: 4/4 long of 48!(looking a lot like Santos huh?) ULL: 4/4 long of 40

Penalties:
TU: 6 for 60 yards, we had 2 illegal formations which was reminiscent of CJ era.
ULL: 5 for 30 yards.

*Game notes: TU was awful on offense for the first 3 quarters. Just look at our 3rd down conversion rate. We were also gifted turnovers deep in the red zone and came away with field goals each time. 2 illegal formation penalties is 2 too many. DiRocca looked ice cold and it's good to know we have a good place kicker. Oh yeah, we finally have a passing touch down, to be exact, 4! Roll wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The D was on the field for 105 plays.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:Isn't it remarkable how quiet Cajun Troll (cajunfanatico) who joined our Gotula on July 16, 2014 and Flasher (exflash) who joined on November 4, 2013 have been following the Wave's win last night over ULALA in 4OT? :megagrin: Since joining in 2014 Cajun Troll has made 976 posts, Flasher 246; yet they are both now so silent? :lolgreen: Surely there must be something they can edify us for concerning Hud's football genius (apparently not for coaching the secondary) or new ULALA facilities under construction? :wave: Although ULALA losing to the Wave in 4OT does dovetail so well with its Forbes Magazine no. 531 ranking :clap: perhaps nothing more need be said? http://www.forbes.com/colleges/universi ... lafayette/

To Cajun Troll, Flasher and all other ULALA trolls I can only say:

A One, A Two, A Helluva Hullabaloo
A Hullabaloo Ray Ray
A Hullabaloo Ray Ray
Hooray-Hooray Vars Vars Tee Ay
Tee Ay, Tee Ay Vars Vars Tee Ay
Tulane!
Congrats 755 on the dominating Wave win!!! I haven't posted here, at Ragin Pagin, or anywhere for that matter since the end of August or early September so no reason to feel super special. Just now getting caught up on all the news from the football season which I unfortunately missed.

Having said all that, I see the not caring continues unabated. :lol:
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.