Wave wins over USL in a thriller 41-39

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
msdos
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote: #DicksonDisease
Yes, Dickson Disease. Not that it took us 4 OTs to beat a Sun Belt team.

GreenLantern
Riptide

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Here's a quick photo of the student section from tonight. More to come.
Just a guess from your pic, but you must be in Sec 121 near row E...right? Can you ever hear the PA announcer from there? I thought we had at least 50% red in our area. Whaddya think?
GreenLantern
Riptide

msdos wrote:Not that it took us 4 OTs to beat a Sun Belt team.
C'mon, man. Enjoy the moment. If you don't see that things are getting better...you gotta be committed to being miserable.

Also, Dos: over 95% of new desktop computers are 64-bit machines and over 75 million people have downloaded Win 10. Things have changed. And yes, ULL was only a Sun Belt team.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:Alot of ULL fans there but again to say it was half is defensible but I think it's a stretch. No science other than ULL doesn't travel that well. Just my view.

As concerns the students. They come for first half because University shuts down all student tailgating functions one-half hour before the game. They can get alcohol in the stadium. The students all leave at half-time of night games (and they do it every game regardless of the game situation or the opponent) because the University "Social Responsibility" authorities make all frat and campus organization parties stop at midnight. So they now start them about 9pm. Great game tonight but if they had stayed to end, average Greeks would have had after walking from the stadium a good half-hour party.

Virtually every major college in the country is having similar problems as Tulane is with lots of students leaving early including SEC schools. Let's stop the myopic Tulane self-abuse on this.

Finally Memphis game is first day of Fall Break and Temple game is first day when many students leave for Thanksgiving. I'm just noting that the South end zone will be empty for those two games so let's at least enjoy Homecoming.
Excuse making at its worst. RD school of thinking.
What's with this? If you understand a problem you can solve it. I know seeing RD in the flesh fired some of the folks here up for old times sake but he has nothing to do with it. Regardless other than HC in the Dome, Tulane never had 500 students for games there for years. It's the student zeitgeist today whether you like it or not. Deal with it instead of petty insults.

You want a solution? Go to the owners of the Boot and ask them to shut down until the game is over. Check how many students are there on Saturday game nights at 9pm. Doable? No but at least you're working the problem instead of blaming all wrong on the world on RD.

Have you watched any Stanford home games this year or perhaps do you remember the Tulane game against WF? Both undefeated teams. Overwhelming student attendance for four quarters? I know RD was responsible for them disappearing there also.
Wavetime
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:At least we can't say we're not CAPABLE of passing the ball. 13/26, 181 yards and 4 TDs.

Considering that Cuilliette had only thrown what, 12 passes in his career prior to tonight? He looked much better in the second half and in overtime. Hopefully, as the season goes on he'll continue to build confidence and improve.

And now I understand why LSU didn't want Jennings. I was pretty surprised that a QB with as much P5 game time as he had under his belt is still no better than that.

2-2 heading to UMass. Hopefully this OT under game conditions helps our young team's confidence. We played a lot of true freshman in critical situations tonight. Down the line that will pay dividends.

The season ticket holder that sits right in front of me has a nephew that is a manager on ULL's team. His nephew said that Jennings is head and shoulders above anyone on that team talent wise. Jennings did make some real good throws in the 1st quarter until we made our defense adjustment which shut them down till OT. After that Jennings started to get flustered. It seems that Nico was in his face all night.

One question - where was the OT play calling during the game? The coaching staff must have really seen something on tape in the middle of their D-Line that just wasn't there. I think ULL's defense played us every bit as tough as Wake, maybe even better. With the 3 turnovers this shouldn't have even been a game by halftime. But credit the kids who have NO quit in them. With the exception of the blocked punt and the horrible miss in OT for the win, this was a team win across the board with only a few mistakes (not counting missed assignments, etc). I'm happy, everyone should be happy!!! We are 2-2 and have a fighting chance.
Last edited by Wavetime on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wavetime
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
msdos wrote:We looked like sh*t for 9 tenths of this game.

We are going to lose a lot of games under Fritz
Give me a break, Dos. For Saban's first year at 'Bama in 2006 the Tide lost to UL-M 21to14 @ Tuscaloosa. Dos, are you really a crypto LSU Tigger fan and if so did you enjoy tonight's Auburn game? And, Fire Miles Soon! :lolgreen:

I hope they keep Miles....I'm sure they won't. However if they do it's another year of mediocrity.........
Wavetime
Swell

winwave wrote:There is a God! At least we now know who our QB is-Cuiellette. Kudos to DiRocco who makes his longest kick by 6 yards. Would have been good from over 50. Give them well deserved rest.We have to beat UMASS. We aren't any good but just like many of us said the schedule is so weak we could squeeze 6 wins out of it.

Ya know what WW, our talent level is not what I thought it was nor where we need to be to win championships. However, we are well coached, have been minimizing the turnovers and these kids do play to the end. There is no quit in these kids. The OT last night proved that the playbook is there and that only GC has the ability to run it. When our talent level does rise, this offense will be fun to watch.
Wavetime
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Here's a quick photo of the student section from tonight. More to come.
Just a guess from your pic, but you must be in Sec 121 near row E...right? Can you ever hear the PA announcer from there? I thought we had at least 50% red in our area. Whaddya think?

I'm in 119 at the top. We had some "Red" leak into our area, but were almost all green. I can hear the PA announcer, but it is lower than last year (which was pretty loud).
Pepper
Swell

WF should be the coach of the year. He walked into a dumpster fire and to be 2-2 after 4 games with 2 losses to by a TD or less to teams that are undefeated says volumes. Every facet of this team is better than the last regime. If we stay healthy, we will only get better as the season goes.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:Alot of ULL fans there but again to say it was half is defensible but I think it's a stretch. No science other than ULL doesn't travel that well. Just my view.

As concerns the students. They come for first half because University shuts down all student tailgating functions one-half hour before the game. They can get alcohol in the stadium. The students all leave at half-time of night games (and they do it every game regardless of the game situation or the opponent) because the University "Social Responsibility" authorities make all frat and campus organization parties stop at midnight. So they now start them about 9pm. Great game tonight but if they had stayed to end, average Greeks would have had after walking from the stadium a good half-hour party.

Virtually every major college in the country is having similar problems as Tulane is with lots of students leaving early including SEC schools. Let's stop the myopic Tulane self-abuse on this.

Finally Memphis game is first day of Fall Break and Temple game is first day when many students leave for Thanksgiving. I'm just noting that the South end zone will be empty for those two games so let's at least enjoy Homecoming.
Excuse making at its worst. RD school of thinking.
What's with this? If you understand a problem you can solve it. I know seeing RD in the flesh fired some of the folks here up for old times sake but he has nothing to do with it. Regardless other than HC in the Dome, Tulane never had 500 students for games there for years. It's the student zeitgeist today whether you like it or not. Deal with it instead of petty insults.

You want a solution? Go to the owners of the Boot and ask them to shut down until the game is over. Check how many students are there on Saturday game nights at 9pm. Doable? No but at least you're working the problem instead of blaming all wrong on the world on RD.

Have you watched any Stanford home games this year or perhaps do you remember the Tulane game against WF? Both undefeated teams. Overwhelming student attendance for four quarters? I know RD was responsible for them disappearing there also.
The real problem is that most Tulane students have zero school pride. Tulane is their fall back school and they couldn't care less about it. They walk campus w/the shirts of the schools that rejected them. There were only a few hundred there for the first half. Many students don't participate in the Greek system. They just don't care.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:At least we can't say we're not CAPABLE of passing the ball. 13/26, 181 yards and 4 TDs.

Considering that Cuilliette had only thrown what, 12 passes in his career prior to tonight? He looked much better in the second half and in overtime. Hopefully, as the season goes on he'll continue to build confidence and improve.

And now I understand why LSU didn't want Jennings. I was pretty surprised that a QB with as much P5 game time as he had under his belt is still no better than that.

2-2 heading to UMass. Hopefully this OT under game conditions helps our young team's confidence. We played a lot of true freshman in critical situations tonight. Down the line that will pay dividends.

The season ticket holder that sits right in front of me has a nephew that is a manager on ULL's team. His nephew said that Jennings is head and shoulders above anyone on that team talent wise. Jennings did make some real good throws in the 1st quarter until we made our defense adjustment which shut them down till OT. After that Jennings started to get flustered. It seems that Nico was in his face all night.

One question - where was the OT play calling during the game? The coaching staff must have really seen something on tape in the middle of their D-Line that just wasn't there. I think ULL's defense played us every bit as tough as Wake, maybe even better. With the 3 turnovers this shouldn't have even been a game by halftime. But credit the kids who have NO quit in them. With the exception of the blocked punt and the horrible miss in OT for the win, this was a team win across the board with only a few mistakes (not counting missed assignments, etc). I'm happy, everyone should be happy!!! We are 2-2 and have a fighting chance.
+1.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:
winwave wrote:There is a God! At least we now know who our QB is-Cuiellette. Kudos to DiRocco who makes his longest kick by 6 yards. Would have been good from over 50. Give them well deserved rest.We have to beat UMASS. We aren't any good but just like many of us said the schedule is so weak we could squeeze 6 wins out of it.

Ya know what WW, our talent level is not what I thought it was nor where we need to be to win championships. However, we are well coached, have been minimizing the turnovers and these kids do play to the end. There is no quit in these kids. The OT last night proved that the playbook is there and that only GC has the ability to run it. When our talent level does rise, this offense will be fun to watch.
Don't take what I said out of context. We agree that there is no quit and that we are well coached. Very glad we won but let's be honest. Regulation was hard to watch. We will get better and I'm enjoying the process.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The Yen and Yang of this season is that on one hand we have the agony of what we witnessed in the first three quarters of this game, and yet when you look at the season as a whole, and as pointed out by many of you, we are only 11+ points from being 4-0, and our two losses were against teams that are still undefeated. In short there is a lot to be frustrated about, and a lot to be very hopeful about. As frustrated as we get, I have to believe the Fritz is even more frustrated, but he can't vent that frustration--he has to keep working with the players he has. I still think he is an outstanding head coach.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Coach Fritz said the reason we started passing is because they were stacking the box to stop the run. The passes were there all night but we just executed the passing game better in OT.
“We’ve been talking about how we need to win a game like this when we fight through some adversity,” Fritz said. “By no means was it pretty, but they were stacking the box and we had to be able to throw. In the second half we started protecting. We learned some things about ourselves.”
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote:The Yen and Yang of this season is that on one hand we have the agony of what we witnessed in the first three quarters of this game, and yet when you look at the season as a whole, and as pointed out by many of you, we are only 11+ points from being 4-0, and our two losses were against teams that are still undefeated. In short there is a lot to be frustrated about, and a lot to be very hopeful about. As frustrated as we get, I have to believe the Fritz is even more frustrated, but he can't vent that frustration--he has to keep working with the players he has. I still think he is an outstanding head coach.
Outstandingly insightful post.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
I'm in 118 row E. When I "can" hear the announcer it sounds like garble. In my area, it was minimum 50% red, and we had grandpa Joe Bob who hit the sauce a little too hard. He kept doing the international sign of Let it Rock or I guess ULL, and kept screaming at his old fraternity friends that looked embarrassed to sit by him. I had a great time at the game and have tons of videos I'm uploading as we speak.

As for taking 4 o/ts to beat a sunbelt team? This is a sunbelt team that last beat us in our last bowl appearance. They also started a ton of JUCO and grad transfers. Oh yeah and the people complaining about WF not being able to win against FBS competition, well, he got his first win, and it was a great one. Our team is slowly learning and developing. Yes we will take out lumps, but hey I don't hear the critics talking about not being able to air out the ball and being one dimensional today....

Roll Wave. Videos are coming
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Coach Fritz said the reason we started passing is because they were stacking the box to stop the run. The passes were there all night but we just executed the passing game better in OT.
“We’ve been talking about how we need to win a game like this when we fight through some adversity,” Fritz said. “By no means was it pretty, but they were stacking the box and we had to be able to throw. In the second half we started protecting. We learned some things about ourselves.”

The key part of this quote.

On the last drive of the 3rd quarter, where we scored our first TD, as well as in the OT, it was obviously that the OL protected much better and GC was able to find his receivers. Some could be that the defense was gassed, but I definitely think there was an adjustment made by the coaches. If CCJ were still here, we lose this game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Fritz noted after the game that we started doing some designed rollouts to help here.
swampnik
Surge

HIGHLIGHTS: (scroll down to 2nd row far left)
http://theamerican.org/watch/cardy.aspx?Archive=2388
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Houma de Wave
Swell

[quote If CCJ were still here, we lose this game.[/quote]

By at least 2 touchdowns and we would have been walking out of the stadium at 10:15 instead of 11:15.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Houma de Wave wrote:[quote If CCJ were still here, we lose this game.

By at least 2 touchdowns and we would have been walking out of the stadium at 10:15 instead of 11:15.[/quote]

Yes this +1000000000. I don't know how many times last season and the season before where I left by 3rd quarter in straight disgust. Our boys fought hard, and Fritz is bringing that winning culture mindset. A WAVE of change is happening and we are beating this Dickson/Cowen disease.