Wave wins over USL in a thriller 41-39

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:40 pm

lurker123 wrote:students cause and attract attention beyond all proportion to their size. That's why it's worth the extra effort get them from the "Cameron Crazies" to whoever.

Brief anecdote: I had a foreign business professional go to his first college football game. He knew nothing about the game. However it was a sold out FBS game involving Top 20 teams. I asked him, "Enjoyable?" "Yes" "Why, you know nothing about football." "Who cares? I sat behind the rah rah girls!!"
The Cameron Crazies are a thing because Duke basketball is a thing nationally. There's a reason why the Cameron Crazies don't translate to Duke football, and it further proves that it's not that Duke students are more or less prone to school spirit.


lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:32 pm

I actually agree with you 100% that Tulane needs to look beyond students and alums to fill the stands. However it's a stretch to dismiss the Duke analogy. They win in basketball. That's why the students care but the point is they do care. At Tulane sadly they don't (but that can change.)

So I guess it's all about the winning. Do it like Duke basketball and Yulman is a football equivalent for Cameron.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5227
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:52 pm

jonathanjoseph wrote:
lurker123 wrote:students cause and attract attention beyond all proportion to their size. That's why it's worth the extra effort get them from the "Cameron Crazies" to whoever.

Brief anecdote: I had a foreign business professional go to his first college football game. He knew nothing about the game. However it was a sold out FBS game involving Top 20 teams. I asked him, "Enjoyable?" "Yes" "Why, you know nothing about football." "Who cares? I sat behind the rah rah girls!!"
The Cameron Crazies are a thing because Duke basketball is a thing nationally. There's a reason why the Cameron Crazies don't translate to Duke football, and it further proves that it's not that Duke students are more or less prone to school spirit.
You r just too much. Duke FBall was disgusting for years and decimated the fanbase in a Bball environment? Their stadium was also a complete joke. Frankly you talk out of your ass (again) as Duke people actually tailgate well but never go into the stadium, You would know this if u actually attended Duke games just like your history of providing us with your opinion without attending games in Yulman. Comps to Duke Bball vs FBall.....u want to play the game with maybe UK, Kansas etc? The key component is winning. Now give me your wonderful counter point, can't wait.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:55 pm

lurker123 wrote:I actually agree with you 100% that Tulane needs to look beyond students and alums to fill the stands. However it's a stretch to dismiss the Duke analogy. They win in basketball. That's why the students care but the point is they do care. At Tulane sadly they don't (but that can change.)

So I guess it's all about the winning. Do it like Duke basketball and Yulman is a football equivalent for Cameron.
That's right, but they win games that are nationally relevant. That's the key difference. Winning vs Southern and ULL isn't enough.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:57 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
lurker123 wrote:students cause and attract attention beyond all proportion to their size. That's why it's worth the extra effort get them from the "Cameron Crazies" to whoever.

Brief anecdote: I had a foreign business professional go to his first college football game. He knew nothing about the game. However it was a sold out FBS game involving Top 20 teams. I asked him, "Enjoyable?" "Yes" "Why, you know nothing about football." "Who cares? I sat behind the rah rah girls!!"
The Cameron Crazies are a thing because Duke basketball is a thing nationally. There's a reason why the Cameron Crazies don't translate to Duke football, and it further proves that it's not that Duke students are more or less prone to school spirit.
You r just too much. Duke FBall was disgusting for years and decimated the fanbase in a Bball environment? Their stadium was also a complete joke. Frankly you talk out of your ass (again) as Duke people actually tailgate well but never go into the stadium, You would know this if u actually attended Duke games just like your history of providing us with your opinion without attending games in Yulman. Comps to Duke Bball vs FBall.....u want to play the game with maybe UK, Kansas etc? The key component is winning. Now give me your wonderful counter point, can't wait.
I'm pretty sure them tailgating but not going into the game reinforces my point, so I guess thanks for that.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5227
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:03 pm

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
lurker123 wrote:students cause and attract attention beyond all proportion to their size. That's why it's worth the extra effort get them from the "Cameron Crazies" to whoever.

Brief anecdote: I had a foreign business professional go to his first college football game. He knew nothing about the game. However it was a sold out FBS game involving Top 20 teams. I asked him, "Enjoyable?" "Yes" "Why, you know nothing about football." "Who cares? I sat behind the rah rah girls!!"
The Cameron Crazies are a thing because Duke basketball is a thing nationally. There's a reason why the Cameron Crazies don't translate to Duke football, and it further proves that it's not that Duke students are more or less prone to school spirit.
You r just too much. Duke FBall was disgusting for years and decimated the fanbase in a Bball environment? Their stadium was also a complete joke. Frankly you talk out of your ass (again) as Duke people actually tailgate well but never go into the stadium, You would know this if u actually attended Duke games just like your history of providing us with your opinion without attending games in Yulman. Comps to Duke Bball vs FBall.....u want to play the game with maybe UK, Kansas etc? The key component is winning. Now give me your wonderful counter point, can't wait.
I'm pretty sure them tailgating but not going into the game reinforces my point, so I guess thanks for that.
It doesn't. They have passion but not enough to watch a crap product. I have friends at Duke right now, there is a lot more energy surrounding the FBall program, take a guess why?

Still they are not packing the place, let's you know how long it takes to overcome years of futility, especially when you are a national private school. Familiar?

Sorry to the rest of the board members, I need to practice better discipline.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:06 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
lurker123 wrote:students cause and attract attention beyond all proportion to their size. That's why it's worth the extra effort get them from the "Cameron Crazies" to whoever.

Brief anecdote: I had a foreign business professional go to his first college football game. He knew nothing about the game. However it was a sold out FBS game involving Top 20 teams. I asked him, "Enjoyable?" "Yes" "Why, you know nothing about football." "Who cares? I sat behind the rah rah girls!!"
The Cameron Crazies are a thing because Duke basketball is a thing nationally. There's a reason why the Cameron Crazies don't translate to Duke football, and it further proves that it's not that Duke students are more or less prone to school spirit.
You r just too much. Duke FBall was disgusting for years and decimated the fanbase in a Bball environment? Their stadium was also a complete joke. Frankly you talk out of your ass (again) as Duke people actually tailgate well but never go into the stadium, You would know this if u actually attended Duke games just like your history of providing us with your opinion without attending games in Yulman. Comps to Duke Bball vs FBall.....u want to play the game with maybe UK, Kansas etc? The key component is winning. Now give me your wonderful counter point, can't wait.
I'm pretty sure them tailgating but not going into the game reinforces my point, so I guess thanks for that.
It doesn't. They have passion but not enough to watch a crap product. I have friends at Duke right now, there is a lot more energy surrounding the FBall program, take a guess why?
Actually it does. In your hasty bit of snark and desire to attack me personally you didn't quite understand my point.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6516
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:08 pm

Duke has spent over $100 million on renovations to Wallace Wade Stadium, and it's now a whole lot nicer than it was just two or three short years ago. They also built a separate stadium for men's and women's soccer. Duke football has enjoyed an upswing in attendance that coincides with the teams' on-field performance. Duke is actually a great model for Tulane to follow, although a MUCH better academic institution, it's done things the right way, with dignity, class and few scandals. They win and win big in basketball and have been more competitive recently than any time in my 54 years.

I know my friends that went to Duke don't go tailgate and not go into the games. They did as undergrads, but the teams were horrible back then.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5227
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:10 pm

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
lurker123 wrote:students cause and attract attention beyond all proportion to their size. That's why it's worth the extra effort get them from the "Cameron Crazies" to whoever.

Brief anecdote: I had a foreign business professional go to his first college football game. He knew nothing about the game. However it was a sold out FBS game involving Top 20 teams. I asked him, "Enjoyable?" "Yes" "Why, you know nothing about football." "Who cares? I sat behind the rah rah girls!!"
The Cameron Crazies are a thing because Duke basketball is a thing nationally. There's a reason why the Cameron Crazies don't translate to Duke football, and it further proves that it's not that Duke students are more or less prone to school spirit.
You r just too much. Duke FBall was disgusting for years and decimated the fanbase in a Bball environment? Their stadium was also a complete joke. Frankly you talk out of your ass (again) as Duke people actually tailgate well but never go into the stadium, You would know this if u actually attended Duke games just like your history of providing us with your opinion without attending games in Yulman. Comps to Duke Bball vs FBall.....u want to play the game with maybe UK, Kansas etc? The key component is winning. Now give me your wonderful counter point, can't wait.
I'm pretty sure them tailgating but not going into the game reinforces my point, so I guess thanks for that.
It doesn't. They have passion but not enough to watch a crap product. I have friends at Duke right now, there is a lot more energy surrounding the FBall program, take a guess why?
Actually it does. In your hasty bit of snark and desire to attack me personally you didn't quite understand my point.
It's well deserved.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:59 pm

lurker123 wrote:I actually agree with you 100% that Tulane needs to look beyond students and alums to fill the stands. However it's a stretch to dismiss the Duke analogy. They win in basketball. That's why the students care but the point is they do care. At Tulane sadly they don't (but that can change.)

So I guess it's all about the winning. Do it like Duke basketball and Yulman is a football equivalent for Cameron.
No one seems to be sure what they are arguing against. The other side of the coin is that they support Duke basketball but not Duke football. The point is it has to be relevant. Existing or being competitive isn't enough. Supply and demand.
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:19 pm

tpstulane wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Well, until our football program starts winning some more, the student turn out will be low. I don't think it's entirely that the students have zero school pride, but a lot of it has to do that a majority of our student population are out of state students. The students aren't coming to Tulane for academics and to watch football, but they're coming to Tulane for the academics and the local night life. The game was a night game on a Saturday, so students are probably going to be out and about this city. Can you really blame them?
The student body at Tulane has significantly changed over the years. It is now near 60% female. So in general that number is likely to be another reason for the lack of interest in attending athletic events.
Nearly 60%? I wish I had those odds before Katrina displaced me. By the time I came back for TLS, I was too busy stuck in the books to notice anything besides coffee. :lolgreen:
lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:34 pm

As you note, any 18 year old male who doesn't pick Tulane is not thinking with his....

As concerns Duke, my point about the Crazies really was simply when you have an involved student body, it makes the game more fun than if the same seats are filled with contented and seasoned one-percenters. You just have a better college experience that is absolutely different than a sold out pro game. You could insert any college game with outstanding student attendance and the same observation would apply.
User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1930
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:54 pm

We have to start winning. Period. If we would have beaten Tulsa in 2014, and then defeated GT in the Yulman debut, every home game would have been packed with students and fans watching winning football. We missed a Golden opportunity there.



Now, Fritz has to start fresh. A win against UMass will help bring some much needed attention to the new era of Green Wave football. Fritz is a winner who wants to win and doesn't believe in moral victories.
We want a Bowl Game in 2018!
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6745
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:06 pm

I don't think a win over UMass will bring much attention. Win that AND the UCF game and it'll bring some attention. But you also need to win one that you're not expected to.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:08 pm

RobertM320 wrote:I don't think a win over UMass will bring much attention. Win that AND the UCF game and it'll bring some attention. But you also need to win one that you're not expected to.
We should have been at least 3-1. If we're 4-2 in 2 weeks there will be plenty of new attention.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6745
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:11 pm

jonathanjoseph wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I don't think a win over UMass will bring much attention. Win that AND the UCF game and it'll bring some attention. But you also need to win one that you're not expected to.
We should have been at least 3-1. If we're 4-2 in 2 weeks there will be plenty of new attention.
I agree. But we need to win both or the opportunity is lost.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12802
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:29 pm

lurker123 wrote:I actually agree with you 100% that Tulane needs to look beyond students and alums to fill the stands. However it's a stretch to dismiss the Duke analogy. They win in basketball. That's why the students care but the point is they do care. At Tulane sadly they don't (but that can change.)

So I guess it's all about the winning. Do it like Duke basketball and Yulman is a football equivalent for Cameron.
Comparing Cameron to Yulman is a joke. A 9,000 seat basketball arena is legit. A 22k fotball stadium is not.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:41 am

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:I actually agree with you 100% that Tulane needs to look beyond students and alums to fill the stands. However it's a stretch to dismiss the Duke analogy. They win in basketball. That's why the students care but the point is they do care. At Tulane sadly they don't (but that can change.)

So I guess it's all about the winning. Do it like Duke basketball and Yulman is a football equivalent for Cameron.
Comparing Cameron to Yulman is a joke. A 9,000 seat basketball arena is legit. A 22k fotball stadium is not.
You think five national championships might have something to do with it? Point as I re-emphasized in another post was Duke basketball has engaged students. It would have them playing in Rupp Arena or Devlin because they win.

We both agree Tulane doesn't quite have them yet for Yulman. (We did get a taste of potential for it in first half of Southern game. Then alas the SAE party started at 9pm.) It only did for a few years in the Dome and you would have to go back to 1951 or so for Tulane stadium (except for say 1972 and 1973.) Were you there in 1951?

Interestingly for the vast majority of those years, Tulane did not have a marching band. So I don't think stadium size has a whit to do with lack of student engagement even though I'd like to see Yulman bumped up to 35 to 40k tomorrow.

Interesting that Cameron was built in 1940. Hinkle (Butler) Fieldhouse was built in 1928. There can only be a handful of others (if any) as old as Devlin. I'm rooting for Dunleavy to enjoy the same type success as those two schools.

BTW, your tag is outstanding advice. "Great time to be a Wave fan. Learn to enjoy it." I have.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12802
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:09 am

Duke wouldn't have 5 NC's if their facility had only 3,200 seats. This isn't the chicken or the egg. You need facilities to draw the players that will draw fans. If not for visiting fans the crowds would have been under 5,000 for our first two games. That's while we are in a honeymoon period w/both our AD and HC.

NO one said stadium size has anything to do with the lack of student interest. Tulane just doesn't draw students inclined to athletics. It's fan base is the local who wants to have their own D-1 team to root for. I'd like to see it get to 40k but the reality is that space isn't there for the necessary expansion.

The only thing Cameron and Hinkle have w/Fogelman is age. Neither is so small as to not be legit and neither took out thousands of seats to get even smaller.

I am enjoying it. However I am not so selfish as to only view things from my perspective. I want the masses to enjoy it. For that to happen we need this gift this week to be beyond huge and we need it to fix our facility issues.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1748
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:42 am

RobertM320 wrote:I don't think a win over UMass will bring much attention. Win that AND the UCF game and it'll bring some attention. But you also need to win one that you're not expected to.
I'm don't feel comfortable with both the UMass and UCF games - Tulane's offensive performance during the regulation 60 minutes over the first 4 games leaves a lot to be desired, and those two teams are shaping up to not be nearly as bad as some people thought that they would be. In the preseason, I pegged UMass as a win and UCF as a loss, and I'm not sure Tulane has improved enough to do better than splitting those games. Of course, if Tulane turns in the performance that it had in OT against ULL for 60 minutes of regulation against each of those two teams, it shouldn't be a huge issue to win both, but Tulane fans had the heightened expectations after both the 2013 ECU game and the 2014 Houston game and we all know how that turned out.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18076
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:46 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I don't think a win over UMass will bring much attention. Win that AND the UCF game and it'll bring some attention. But you also need to win one that you're not expected to.
I'm don't feel comfortable with both the UMass and UCF games - Tulane's offensive performance during the regulation 60 minutes over the first 4 games leaves a lot to be desired, and those two teams are shaping up to not be nearly as bad as some people thought that they would be. In the preseason, I pegged UMass as a win and UCF as a loss, and I'm not sure Tulane has improved enough to do better than splitting those games. Of course, if Tulane turns in the performance that it had in OT against ULL for 60 minutes of regulation against each of those two teams, it shouldn't be a huge issue to win both, but Tulane fans had the heightened expectations after both the 2013 ECU game and the 2014 Houston game and we all know how that turned out.
I have us beating UMASS and losing to UCF as well. I think we'll be ok. ULL stacked the box and gave everyone the script how to stop us. Going forward we need some help from the passing game to keep teams honest like we did in OT.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:14 am

Wasn't GC a pocket passing QB that CJ recruited for his pro style O....what the hell happened ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:14 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I don't think a win over UMass will bring much attention. Win that AND the UCF game and it'll bring some attention. But you also need to win one that you're not expected to.
I'm don't feel comfortable with both the UMass and UCF games - Tulane's offensive performance during the regulation 60 minutes over the first 4 games leaves a lot to be desired, and those two teams are shaping up to not be nearly as bad as some people thought that they would be. In the preseason, I pegged UMass as a win and UCF as a loss, and I'm not sure Tulane has improved enough to do better than splitting those games. Of course, if Tulane turns in the performance that it had in OT against ULL for 60 minutes of regulation against each of those two teams, it shouldn't be a huge issue to win both, but Tulane fans had the heightened expectations after both the 2013 ECU game and the 2014 Houston game and we all know how that turned out.
Azer, no offense, but is there any game that you felt comfortable about on the schedule? In 4 games, it is quite apparent that no matter how offensive our offense is, our defense will keep us in the game. The only thing I'm worried about is the traveling and our team having "bus legs" when they arrive at Amherst, but besides that, on paper, we should win the match ups across the board against UMass and UCF. Happy Tuesday Y'all Roll DAMN WAVE!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5227
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:26 am

It will take more than wins over lowly UMass and UCF to build things up. Certainly the wins will help but it won't add that much. This situation will requir long term sustainable success, everything else is just a short term band aid

Good point on the 60% female population, that cannot help.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1748
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:35 am

Well, I had Tulane pegged at 5 with Southern, ULL, UMass, SMU, and UConn in the preseason, and I still believe that Tulane will win those games. Tulane's defense will keep the team relevant, but the fact that Tulane's D caused four turnovers while Tulane's O only had one and Tulane was only tied with ULL at the end of the regulation makes it difficult to get to excited at the moment.
Post Reply