Wave wins over USL in a thriller 41-39

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
puffy
Surge

The protection was world's better in the 4th and in OT. Receivers could get open downfield and GC had enough time to actually make an accurate throw. The TD pass to make it 16-9 was special since GC got hammered immediately after releasing the ball.

This game will help in showing ppl in the media and potential recruits that this isn't just a triple option team.

Wave755
Tsunami

Isn't it remarkable how quiet Cajun Troll (cajunfanatico) who joined our Gotula on July 16, 2014 and Flasher (exflash) who joined on November 4, 2013 have been following the Wave's win last night over ULALA in 4OT? :megagrin: Since joining in 2014 Cajun Troll has made 976 posts, Flasher 246; yet they are both now so silent? :lolgreen: Surely there must be something they can edify us for concerning Hud's football genius (apparently not for coaching the secondary) or new ULALA facilities under construction? :wave: Although ULALA losing to the Wave in 4OT does dovetail so well with its Forbes Magazine no. 531 ranking :clap: perhaps nothing more need be said? http://www.forbes.com/colleges/universi ... lafayette/

To Cajun Troll, Flasher and all other ULALA trolls I can only say:

A One, A Two, A Helluva Hullabaloo
A Hullabaloo Ray Ray
A Hullabaloo Ray Ray
Hooray-Hooray Vars Vars Tee Ay
Tee Ay, Tee Ay Vars Vars Tee Ay
Tulane!
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Some people around me were cussing so fair warning.

Warming up:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Game Time:

1st Qt:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

2nd qt:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

3rd qt:
gifted a freebie but can't convert

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Eaglewave
Swell

msdos wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: #DicksonDisease
Yes, Dickson Disease. Not that it took us 4 OTs to beat a Sun Belt team.
I am just happy we didn't lose to ULL. CJ really allowed Price and McDonell to hang around too damn long. The offensive line has been poorly coached for a 4 years. CJ and Price never had what it took to land a solid WR's and now our roster is paying for it. Last but not least, our running backs are what many think they are. We have decent backs, but no star. Badie is fast, but he is injury prone and he always has been. He was never JC's "go to" guy and is not a power back. Rounds is an "ok" back, but he isn't the type of kid who can make things happen behind a terrible line.

I will take wins in any fashion this year. Next year, I expect Frtiz to get the ball rolling in the right direction. He is a winner.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave755 wrote:Isn't it remarkable how quiet Cajun Troll (cajunfanatico) who joined our Gotula on July 16, 2014 and Flasher (exflash) who joined on November 4, 2013 have been following the Wave's win last night over ULALA in 4OT? :megagrin: Since joining in 2014 Cajun Troll has made 976 posts, Flasher 246; yet they are both now so silent? :lolgreen: Surely there must be something they can edify us for concerning Hud's football genius (apparently not for coaching the secondary) or new ULALA facilities under construction? :wave: Although ULALA losing to the Wave in 4OT does dovetail so well with its Forbes Magazine no. 531 ranking :clap: perhaps nothing more need be said? http://www.forbes.com/colleges/universi ... lafayette/

A Hullabaloo Ray Ray
A Hullabaloo Ray Ray
Tulane!

I am happy we won, but you are a little too excited about a 4OT win against a Sun Belt program who had a two game winning streak against us snapped. We just beat ULL, not LSU.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Isn't it remarkable how quiet Cajun Troll (cajunfanatico) who joined our Gotula on July 16, 2014 and Flasher (exflash) who joined on November 4, 2013 have been following the Wave's win last night over ULALA in 4OT? :megagrin: Since joining in 2014 Cajun Troll has made 976 posts, Flasher 246; yet they are both now so silent? :lolgreen: Surely there must be something they can edify us for concerning Hud's football genius (apparently not for coaching the secondary) or new ULALA facilities under construction? :wave: Although ULALA losing to the Wave in 4OT does dovetail so well with its Forbes Magazine no. 531 ranking :clap: perhaps nothing more need be said? http://www.forbes.com/colleges/universi ... lafayette/

A Hullabaloo Ray Ray
A Hullabaloo Ray Ray
Tulane!

I am happy we won, but you are a little too excited about a 4OT win against a Sun Belt program who had a two game winning streak against us snapped. We just beat ULL, not LSU.
EagleWave, I was really just saying hello to our little ULALA friends Cajun Troll and Flasher. :P
Wave755
Tsunami

puffy wrote:The protection was world's better in the 4th and in OT. Receivers could get open downfield and GC had enough time to actually make an accurate throw. The TD pass to make it 16-9 was special since GC got hammered immediately after releasing the ball.

This game will help in showing ppl in the media and potential recruits that this isn't just a triple option team.
This offense will be fine once we get a passing game, I just hope we don't have to wait until next season for that to happen. The passing plays are in the playbook, we just don't have the people to execute them for now.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just the fact that they're in the playbook is good news. I think there's some people here who felt Fritz and Ruse didn't even design any pass plays.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

puffy wrote:The protection was world's better in the 4th and in OT. Receivers could get open downfield and GC had enough time to actually make an accurate throw. The TD pass to make it 16-9 was special since GC got hammered immediately after releasing the ball.

The protection was still lacking. We started doing designed rollouts. Made all the difference.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:

The protection was still lacking. We started doing designed rollouts. Made all the difference.
You must have been at a different game. Here's a link to a clip of all 4 OT scores, of which 3 were touchdown passes. ALL THREE were either straight dropback, or play-action dropback. Not a single rollout in the bunch. Fritz even said they made an adjustment and the OL protected better.

https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 2163177472
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
puffy
Surge

Agree RobertM320. There was play-action fake to the half back mixed in, but all of the passes had GC stand in the pocket and deliver.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:We looked like sh*t for 9 tenths of this game.

We are going to lose a lot of games under Fritz
BULL $HIT. This team will win a whole lot more than they'll lose under Fritz, after we get rid of the CJ regime's players. The fact that he has this team 2-2, even if we go (as I predicted) 4-8, is amazing. They're buying in. What we saw in OT is a whole lot closer to what he wants to run offensively than what we've seen. We're one of the youngest 2 deep teams in FBS. We lost a LOT of talent to graduation and transfer, and are paper thin, if not thinner. You just want to cut down Fritz at every opportunity. We'd be 1-3 with 100 more points against than scored if CJ was still coaching. If you can't see the improvement, you can't see through your "I wanted someone else as coach" glasses.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

puffy wrote:Agree RobertM320. There was play-action fake to the half back mixed in, but all of the passes had GC stand in the pocket and deliver.
He had a lot more time in o/t because just like our defensive lineman, they were all sucking wind. There was a lot less pressure in o/t because ULL just ran out of steam.
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
puffy wrote:Agree RobertM320. There was play-action fake to the half back mixed in, but all of the passes had GC stand in the pocket and deliver.
He had a lot more time in o/t because just like our defensive lineman, they were all sucking wind. There was a lot less pressure in o/t because ULL just ran out of steam.

No doubt that was a factor as well. But you could see the difference even in the 3rd quarter. No more of the jailhouse break pass rush every time he dropped back.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:

No doubt that was a factor as well. But you could see the difference even in the 3rd quarter. No more of the jailhouse break pass rush every time he dropped back.
But La Laf...has the Coaching Gawd of the Bayou...The Hudster and to top that a LSU transfer QB....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:

You must have been at a different game. Here's a link to a clip of all 4 OT scores, of which 3 were touchdown passes. ALL THREE were either straight dropback, or play-action dropback. Not a single rollout in the bunch. Fritz even said they made an adjustment and the OL protected better.

https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 2163177472
Nope. I was at that game. I heard Fritz's interview w/Graff right after the game. He said they started using designed rollouts. Yes in that clip 3 out of the 4 plays shown were dropbacks. The last one even the announcer calls a designed rollout. I didn't say we used rollouts only. I said we went to them in the 2d half and it got things rolling. USL no longer knew they could just go straight to a spot to get the QB. It helped to slow them down.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:Alot of ULL fans there but again to say it was half is defensible but I think it's a stretch. No science other than ULL doesn't travel that well. Just my view.

As concerns the students. They come for first half because University shuts down all student tailgating functions one-half hour before the game. They can get alcohol in the stadium. The students all leave at half-time of night games (and they do it every game regardless of the game situation or the opponent) because the University "Social Responsibility" authorities make all frat and campus organization parties stop at midnight. So they now start them about 9pm. Great game tonight but if they had stayed to end, average Greeks would have had after walking from the stadium a good half-hour party.

Virtually every major college in the country is having similar problems as Tulane is with lots of students leaving early including SEC schools. Let's stop the myopic Tulane self-abuse on this.

Finally Memphis game is first day of Fall Break and Temple game is first day when many students leave for Thanksgiving. I'm just noting that the South end zone will be empty for those two games so let's at least enjoy Homecoming.
Excuse making at its worst. RD school of thinking.
What's with this? If you understand a problem you can solve it. I know seeing RD in the flesh fired some of the folks here up for old times sake but he has nothing to do with it. Regardless other than HC in the Dome, Tulane never had 500 students for games there for years. It's the student zeitgeist today whether you like it or not. Deal with it instead of petty insults.

You want a solution? Go to the owners of the Boot and ask them to shut down until the game is over. Check how many students are there on Saturday game nights at 9pm. Doable? No but at least you're working the problem instead of blaming all wrong on the world on RD.

Have you watched any Stanford home games this year or perhaps do you remember the Tulane game against WF? Both undefeated teams. Overwhelming student attendance for four quarters? I know RD was responsible for them disappearing there also.
The real problem is that most Tulane students have zero school pride. Tulane is their fall back school and they couldn't care less about it. They walk campus w/the shirts of the schools that rejected them. There were only a few hundred there for the first half. Many students don't participate in the Greek system. They just don't care.
It's institutional. We aren't admitting students who are less likely to experience school pride than other schools. This is more post-Cowen fall out. Stuff like trying to teach everyone the Hullabaloo is a step in the right direction.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:Alot of ULL fans there but again to say it was half is defensible but I think it's a stretch. No science other than ULL doesn't travel that well. Just my view.

As concerns the students. They come for first half because University shuts down all student tailgating functions one-half hour before the game. They can get alcohol in the stadium. The students all leave at half-time of night games (and they do it every game regardless of the game situation or the opponent) because the University "Social Responsibility" authorities make all frat and campus organization parties stop at midnight. So they now start them about 9pm. Great game tonight but if they had stayed to end, average Greeks would have had after walking from the stadium a good half-hour party.

Virtually every major college in the country is having similar problems as Tulane is with lots of students leaving early including SEC schools. Let's stop the myopic Tulane self-abuse on this.

Finally Memphis game is first day of Fall Break and Temple game is first day when many students leave for Thanksgiving. I'm just noting that the South end zone will be empty for those two games so let's at least enjoy Homecoming.
What's with this? If you understand a problem you can solve it. I know seeing RD in the flesh fired some of the folks here up for old times sake but he has nothing to do with it. Regardless other than HC in the Dome, Tulane never had 500 students for games there for years. It's the student zeitgeist today whether you like it or not. Deal with it instead of petty insults.

You want a solution? Go to the owners of the Boot and ask them to shut down until the game is over. Check how many students are there on Saturday game nights at 9pm. Doable? No but at least you're working the problem instead of blaming all wrong on the world on RD.

Have you watched any Stanford home games this year or perhaps do you remember the Tulane game against WF? Both undefeated teams. Overwhelming student attendance for four quarters? I know RD was responsible for them disappearing there also.
The real problem is that most Tulane students have zero school pride. Tulane is their fall back school and they couldn't care less about it. They walk campus w/the shirts of the schools that rejected them. There were only a few hundred there for the first half. Many students don't participate in the Greek system. They just don't care.
Well, until our football program starts winning some more, the student turn out will be low. I don't think it's entirely that the students have zero school pride, but a lot of it has to do that a majority of our student population are out of state students. The students aren't coming to Tulane for academics and to watch football, but they're coming to Tulane for the academics and the local night life. The game was a night game on a Saturday, so students are probably going to be out and about this city. Can you really blame them?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

This game causes mixed feelings. On one hand, Tulane won, had an explosion of offense in OT that hasn't been seen since the 2013 ECU game - that explosion dramatically improved Tulane's yards per pass attempt, doubled its passing yardage from the first 3 games combined, crossed the 300 total yards in a single game threshold against an FBS opponent for the first time this season, and was able to make major offensive adjustments in response to the flow of the game (i.e. replacing Brantley). On the other hand, ULL had four turnovers while Tulane only had one and yet the game still went to overtime and Tulane was 0-17 on 3rd and 4th down.

Tulane is certainly a better overall team than it has been and it's good to have an FBS win under its belt, but the game in the regulation 60 minutes left much to be desired. Tulane's inability to convert third downs and the decision to not kick a field goal in the first quarter stand out.

Tulane is:
Offense
#126 in passing yards gained per attempt (above Bowling Green and Rice)
#126 in passing accuracy (above Georgia Tech and Air Force)
#24 in rushing yards per game
#127 in passing yards per game (above Army)
#51 in Rushing yards gained per attempt
#121 in 3rd down conversion %
Defense
#20 in total yards allowed per game
#18 in passing yards allowed per game
#50 in rushing yards allowed per game
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Well, until our football program starts winning some more, the student turn out will be low. I don't think it's entirely that the students have zero school pride, but a lot of it has to do that a majority of our student population are out of state students. The students aren't coming to Tulane for academics and to watch football, but they're coming to Tulane for the academics and the local night life. The game was a night game on a Saturday, so students are probably going to be out and about this city. Can you really blame them?
The student body at Tulane has significantly changed over the years. It is now near 60% female. So in general that number is likely to be another reason for the lack of interest in attending athletic events.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:

It's institutional. We aren't admitting students who are less likely to experience school pride than other schools. This is more post-Cowen fall out. Stuff like trying to teach everyone the Hullabaloo is a step in the right direction.
When I was at Tulane I was amazed by how many students had never even heard of Southern Mississippi. I am sure most Tulane students have never heard of ULALA. Hard to get excited about playing a university you have never heard of. And, for most of our students Tulane was their first choice.
lurker123
Swell

As concerns level of student interest since SC killed College of Engineering, majority of Tulane undergrads are women. Frosh classes have ranged from 57% to 66% female. Natural football fans? You can decide.

As concerns Greeks, I've not seen 2016 numbers (and Tulane does have second semester rush) but number has been north of 40% total. That's not a low number by any measure. Let's just follow the biology here. It's a good time to be a male student at Tulane.

If someone can figure out how to keep the majority of male undergrads in the stands in the second half then the majority of the student body will be there.

As I said, this problem is not unique to Tulane. Only school that I'm aware of that has solved it is Wisconsin (by luck) which developed tradition of having students literally make the stadium shake by doing the "Bounce" at end of third quarter. FWIW that has nothing to do with football.

Finally for the several hundred students who stayed through overtime in the South end zone, it was a blast being there including post-game. Maybe they can evangelize about the great experience to their peers and how that beat hanging out at the SAE House or the Boot watching TV at 11pm. Just my view.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

This isn't as complicated as people are making it seem. If Tulane football games were "the place to be", they'd be there. It's up to the university to make Tulane games "the place to be", mix in the school spirit, and the rest is supply and demand.

There was some thought that Yulman was the answer to making TU football games "the place to be", but I pointed out in the other thread that doesn't seem to have played out that way. Games against Southern and ULL aren't going to make games "the place to be" either.

We have to stop thinking about this in terms of how to get the student body to attend. The student body isn't big enough and the local alumni base isn't big enough. The program has to become successful enough to attract TV ratings and national interest. That will bring the casual college football fan and THAT will make gameday the place to be. Then the students will come and stay.
Wave755
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:The program has to become successful enough to attract TV ratings and national interest. That will bring the casual college football fan and THAT will make gameday the place to be. Then the students will come and stay.
Those things were beginning to happen in 1997/98, so in essence we need to get back to where we were in 1998 before Cowen became president of the university. I think we are now heading in that direction.
lurker123
Swell

students cause and attract attention beyond all proportion to their size. That's why it's worth the extra effort get them from the "Cameron Crazies" to whoever.

Brief anecdote: I had a foreign business professional go to his first college football game. He knew nothing about the game. However it was a sold out FBS game involving Top 20 teams. I asked him, "Enjoyable?" "Yes" "Why, you know nothing about football." "Who cares? I sat behind the rah rah girls!!"