Wave wins over USL in a thriller 41-39

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave QB
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
msdos wrote:We looked like sh*t for 9 tenths of this game.

We are going to lose a lot of games under Fritz
lol with mediocre QB play so far we'd be 4-0.
Finally JJ! Something we can agree on with QB talk. LOL.

Wave QB
Swell

Wave755 wrote:

Give me a break, Dos. For Saban's first year at 'Bama in 2006 the Tide lost to UL-M 21to14 @ Tuscaloosa. Dos, are you really a crypto LSU Tigger fan and if so did you enjoy tonight's Auburn game? And, Fire Miles Soon! :lolgreen:
I think he is a Tulane fan who has been through too many coaches and losses to believe. It's understandable. I just hope this staff can find a way to win 6 games.
Robert1969
Riptide

Well, if Cuilette gains confidence in throwing the ball after tonight (and, particularly in overtime he threw some pretty balls), then that will make a whale of a difference to our offense.

Also, if we could just ditch that damned QB draw, that would be nice. The sooner the batter. Ruse has been nearly obsessed with that play all season long, and it hasn't worked once. Not even against Southern.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wave QB wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

Give me a break, Dos. For Saban's first year at 'Bama in 2006 the Tide lost to UL-M 21to14 @ Tuscaloosa. Dos, are you really a crypto LSU Tigger fan and if so did you enjoy tonight's Auburn game? And, Fire Miles Soon! :lolgreen:
I think he is a Tulane fan who has been through too many coaches and losses to believe. It's understandable. I just hope this staff can find a way to win 6 games.
#DicksonDisease
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:Well, if Cuilette gains confidence in throwing the ball after tonight (and, particularly in overtime he threw some pretty balls), then that will make a whale of a difference to our offense.

Also, if we could just ditch that damned QB draw, that would be nice. The sooner the batter. Ruse has been nearly obsessed with that play all season long, and it hasn't worked once. Not even against Southern.
Yes if Cuilette can use this momentum to give us a legitimate passing attack then that would be an improvement over what Brantley was giving us in the run game. The passing game was open because defenses are packing the box.

I'm still not ready to complain about playcalling, even though there was plenty to criticize today. I think these coaches still don't really know how to use the personnel, and the young guys in key positions are still feeling their way through the offense.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There is a God! At least we now know who our QB is-Cuiellette. Kudos to DiRocco who makes his longest kick by 6 yards. Would have been good from over 50. Give them well deserved rest.We have to beat UMASS. We aren't any good but just like many of us said the schedule is so weak we could squeeze 6 wins out of it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Quick thoughts from tonight's game:
The Good:

Ull- Tulane fan split, I think it was closer to a 50/50 split. There were a lot more fans in the Glazer and premium sections than most games.

Student section had a good turnout. They were in the game till the very end.

The best part is during O/T I could hear Tulane chants and people were all standing on O/T.

Concession lines seemed shorter this week (probably cause we had all day to tailgate and no rain)

GC played well once he got into a rhythm. 4 passing tds!

Defense is still solid. They WILL keep us in every game except maybe Houston this year. They didn't score a touchdown till the 4th quarter. We were stingy all day when our offense had 0 heartbeat.

Place kicking had a good day. 3/3

The bad:

Dropped balls

Lots and lots and lots of missed tackles

The O-line crumbled under pressure and most our success were from moving the pocket.

Punting: After the blocked punt, Mr. Block's next punts were terrible and net average was way below 40 yards.

The Ugly:

We were gifted 2 turnovers deep in the red zone and ended up walking away with 3 points.. Once, we were gifted the ball on the 3...

The Qb draws on 3rd and longs.

Penalties. Penalties. Penalties. 2 illegal formations is 2 too many... false starts...these are CJ problems, we should be past this phase.

Highlight: This is now 3 games in a row where we had the lead going into the 4th quarter, and today was the first game where we won a close game. Lastly, Fritz got his first win as TU HC against an FBS team. Tomorrow, videos and pictures. I lost my voice tonight, but ROLL WAVE!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Quick thoughts from tonight's game:
The Good:

Ull- Tulane fan split, I think it was closer to a 50/50 split. There were a lot more fans in the Glazer and premium sections than most games.

The best part is during O/T I could hear Tulane chants and people were all standing on O/T.

Concession lines seemed shorter this week (probably cause we had all day to tailgate and no rain)

Defense is still solid. They WILL keep us in every game except maybe Houston this year. They didn't score a touchdown till the 4th quarter. We were stingy all day when our offense had 0 heartbeat.

The bad:

Dropped balls

The O-line crumbled under pressure and most our success were from moving the pocket.

Punting: After the blocked punt, Mr. Block's next punts were terrible and net average was way below 40 yards.

The Ugly:

We were gifted 2 turnovers deep in the red zone and ended up walking away with 3 points.. Once, we were gifted the ball on the 3...

Penalties. Penalties. Penalties. 2 illegal formations is 2 too many... false starts...these are CJ problems, we should be past this phase.

Highlight: This is now 3 games in a row where we had the lead going into the 4th quarter, and today was the first game where we won a close game. Lastly, Fritz got his first win as TU HC against an FBS team. Tomorrow, videos and pictures. I lost my voice tonight, but ROLL WAVE!
GPS -I love ya but USL dominated the crowd and the noise. The students suck. It was even emptier this week w/only a hundred left for the second half. The Glazer club had it's lowest turnout ever and like I said there was as much red there as there was green. The concessions operation was a nightmare as usual.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:There is a God! At least we now know who our QB is-Cuiellette. Kudos to DiRocco who makes his longest kick by 6 yards. Would have been good from over 50. Give them well deserved rest.We have to beat UMASS. We aren't any good but just like many of us said the schedule is so weak we could squeeze 6 wins out of it.
+1

And I thank God for this schedule every Saturday. There are some years when you need and bowl friendly schedule, and this was one of those years.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:
The Good:

The bad:

Dropped balls

The Ugly:

GPS -I love ya but USL dominated the crowd and the noise. The students suck. It was even emptier this week w/only a hundred left for the second half. The Glazer club had it's lowest turnout ever and like I said there was as much red there as there was green. The concessions operation was a nightmare as usual.

+1

I was getting ready to ask if I was at the right game.
Robert1969
Riptide

The Good:

The bad:

Dropped balls

The Ugly:

Actually, DiRocco was 4/4 on field goals.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Here's a quick photo of the student section from tonight. More to come.

GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

If you don't sit on the Glazer side or TU's section then yes, you were swarmed by Cajuns. There were small swaths of us in 118 and 126 chanting with the people we could hear from the Glazer bottom left section. The videos I'll post tomorrow will give you a better sense.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sorry GPS but your own photo of the student section shows you are way off.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote:Sorry GPS but your own photo of the student section shows you are way off.
You don't think that's a better turnout then where it's been before this season or these past games? Maybe I'm still a little drunk, but I thought it was around the same as Navy game, and a tad bit less than Southern.
Robert1969
Riptide

Just to note: Wake Forest is now 4-0 after beating 2-1 Indiana on the road. Everybody was saying how bad Wake was after we lost to them narrowly to start the season. But that loss is looking much better now. Tulane's two losses are to teams that are a combined 7-0.

Last week ULL averaged 10 yards a play. This week they averaged 3.8 yards a play.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
The Good:

The bad:

Dropped balls

The Ugly:

From afar it looked embarrassing. The (awful) color guy on TV even made a comment about it. Clearly more red in the stands than Tulane fans.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:Just to note: Wake Forest is now 4-0 after beating 2-1 Indiana on the road. Everybody was saying how bad Wake was after we lost to them narrowly to start the season. But that loss is looking much better now. Tulane's two losses are to teams that are a combined 7-0.

Last week ULL averaged 10 yards a play. This week they averaged 3.8 yards a play.
We should be 4-0 and that includes should-have wins over very decent Wake and Navy teams. Willie Fritz is no joke. But there are bigger problems. We will take a step backwards next year and we have a problem with recruiting and facilities.
Eaglewave
Swell

ESPN needs to fire this Chad guy who called this game. He was god awful and boring.

And how many times did he call us Tulsa?
Ball Sumrall!
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Yeah went through more of my videos and there was a lot more red in the Glazer sections than I remembered. Maybe I'm just drunk on winning. We didn't get many of these moments last few years, and now I will soak in the awesome 2 point win. Roll Wave!
lurker123
Swell

Alot of ULL fans there but again to say it was half is defensible but I think it's a stretch. No science other than ULL doesn't travel that well. Just my view.

As concerns the students. They come for first half because University shuts down all student tailgating functions one-half hour before the game. They can get alcohol in the stadium. The students all leave at half-time of night games (and they do it every game regardless of the game situation or the opponent) because the University "Social Responsibility" authorities make all frat and campus organization parties stop at midnight. So they now start them about 9pm. Great game tonight but if they had stayed to end, average Greeks would have had after walking from the stadium a good half-hour party.

Virtually every major college in the country is having similar problems as Tulane is with lots of students leaving early including SEC schools. Let's stop the myopic Tulane self-abuse on this.

Finally Memphis game is first day of Fall Break and Temple game is first day when many students leave for Thanksgiving. I'm just noting that the South end zone will be empty for those two games so let's at least enjoy Homecoming.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
winwave wrote:Sorry GPS but your own photo of the student section shows you are way off.
You don't think that's a better turnout then where it's been before this season or these past games? Maybe I'm still a little drunk, but I thought it was around the same as Navy game, and a tad bit less than Southern.
It's a pathetic showing on behalf of the students.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:Alot of ULL fans there but again to say it was half is defensible but I think it's a stretch. No science other than ULL doesn't travel that well. Just my view.

As concerns the students. They come for first half because University shuts down all student tailgating functions one-half hour before the game. They can get alcohol in the stadium. The students all leave at half-time of night games (and they do it every game regardless of the game situation or the opponent) because the University "Social Responsibility" authorities make all frat and campus organization parties stop at midnight. So they now start them about 9pm. Great game tonight but if they had stayed to end, average Greeks would have had after walking from the stadium a good half-hour party.

Virtually every major college in the country is having similar problems as Tulane is with lots of students leaving early including SEC schools. Let's stop the myopic Tulane self-abuse on this.

Finally Memphis game is first day of Fall Break and Temple game is first day when many students leave for Thanksgiving. I'm just noting that the South end zone will be empty for those two games so let's at least enjoy Homecoming.
Excuse making at its worst. RD school of thinking.
swampnik
Surge

TU players get fired up when "overtime" is showing on the score board!

Heroes: GC, Enclade, and Da ROCK for 48!

Great defensive game that finished 16-16. Does overtime stats count for national rankings the same as just 4 quarters played games?

Future opinion: Louisville will topple UH.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Who won?