Major Announcement

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:55 pm

TD tweeted that he will announce a major athletic donation next week.


Let's Do This!
User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2668
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:27 pm

Let's hope this is attached to a serious capital project.
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Excited to find out what it is.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7968
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:31 pm

we are buying Audubon Blvd !!!!! NIMBY's be dammmed !!!!...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:00 pm

golfnut69 wrote:we are buying Audubon Blvd !!!!! NIMBY's be dammmed !!!!...
Lol. That would be awesome.
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:05 pm

It would be nice if the gift includes some buy out of the agreement with the NIMBYs.
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:07 pm

I guess this is related to that meeting with Doug Hertz earlier this year.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17930
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:25 pm

winwave wrote:TD tweeted that he will announce a major athletic donation next week.
Just making sure the check cashes. :mrgreen:
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7968
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Robert1969 wrote:It would be nice if the gift includes some buy out of the agreement with the NIMBYs.

Robert....buying out the NIMBY's at a reasonable price is not that hard...TD will not however, place Horse's Heads in their beds while they are sleeping
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6310
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:03 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:It would be nice if the gift includes some buy out of the agreement with the NIMBYs.

Robert....buying out the NIMBY's at a reasonable price is not that hard...TD will not however, place Horse's Heads in their beds while they are sleeping
No, he'll have his cousin do the dirty work!

A buy out of the agreement with the NIMBY's would be huge. Or just buying enough properties on The Boulevard to vote down the agreement would be even sweeter. Imagine the drawing card for coaches if/when Fritz is no longer here: An expanded to 40k Yulman and a beautiful home on Audubon Blvd.

Or, we could be the neighbors from hell and raise the houses and build the IPF there! :lol:
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
msdos
Swell
Posts: 1253
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:56 pm

DfromCT wrote:An expanded to 40k Yulman
That way Southern can outnumber us 5:1 rather than 3:1
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:36 pm

msdos wrote:
DfromCT wrote:An expanded to 40k Yulman
That way Southern can outnumber us 5:1 rather than 3:1
How about win, win, win, and then Tulane has so many fans, that Southern can only get 3,000 of 40,000 seats?
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1901
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:53 pm

golfnut69 wrote: Robert....buying out the NIMBY's at a reasonable price is not that hard
Golf it's not hard as long as you think paying $300/sq ft is easy. Uptown real estate is insane these days.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:54 pm

Of course Dannen is getting things done.

Depending on what qualifies as "major", this could be helpful with the Big12. If we were to announce an IPF or some other football related facility, it could be related to expansion.
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Seriously, what do you guys think it is? We are obviously not going to buy Audubon Blvd.

I think it is going to have something to do with the Athlete's Village. My hope is IPF.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:03 pm

Robert1969 wrote:Seriously, what do you guys think it is? We are obviously not going to buy Audubon Blvd.

I think it is going to have something to do with the Athlete's Village. My hope is IPF.
Are we really still talking about the "athletes village"? The athletes village is a Dickson delusion and Dannen knows many things are NEEDED before we can talk about some project for non-revenue sports. Safe to say we won't hear about any "athletes village" any time soon.
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:15 pm

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:Seriously, what do you guys think it is? We are obviously not going to buy Audubon Blvd.

I think it is going to have something to do with the Athlete's Village. My hope is IPF.
Are we really still talking about the "athletes village"? The athletes village is a Dickson delusion and Dannen knows many things are NEEDED before we can talk about some project for non-revenue sports. Safe to say we won't hear about any "athletes village" any time soon.
Where would we put an IPF but there?
lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:19 pm

msdos wrote:
DfromCT wrote:An expanded to 40k Yulman
That way Southern can outnumber us 5:1 rather than 3:1
Just curious were you at the game or is there a missing word in your point like "band?"

Yes the Southern Band outnumbered the Tulane band by 4:1 but that was it. If you were there you know what the composition of the fans was and there were more Tulane fans...

Sorry but I'm just sticking with believing my lying eyes because I was there....
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:27 pm

Robert1969 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:Seriously, what do you guys think it is? We are obviously not going to buy Audubon Blvd.

I think it is going to have something to do with the Athlete's Village. My hope is IPF.
Are we really still talking about the "athletes village"? The athletes village is a Dickson delusion and Dannen knows many things are NEEDED before we can talk about some project for non-revenue sports. Safe to say we won't hear about any "athletes village" any time soon.
Where would we put an IPF but there?
The athletes village, as it was named by Rick Dickson, was his view of the final piece of the puzzle because the revenue sports had been addressed. Or so he thought. The athletes village was primarily for non-revenue sports. That whole project is not feasible until the revenue sports are fixed, and the revenue sports have enormous facilities shortcomings. Because we have access to the Saints IPF, it is less of a need and it's farther down the list of new priorities.

Point being, the "athletes village" should be a memory just like Rick Dickson. Meanwhile, someone just gave him an award. :wallbash:
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7968
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:09 am

ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: Robert....buying out the NIMBY's at a reasonable price is not that hard
Golf it's not hard as long as you think paying $300/sq ft is easy. Uptown real estate is insane these days.
300.00 per sq ft...to live in NOLA....there really are some insane individuals in the world...damn I thought metro Austin was nuts at 125.00 to 150.00....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1022
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:35 am

golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: Robert....buying out the NIMBY's at a reasonable price is not that hard
Golf it's not hard as long as you think paying $300/sq ft is easy. Uptown real estate is insane these days.
300.00 per sq ft...to live in NOLA....there really are some insane individuals in the world...damn I thought metro Austin was nuts at 125.00 to 150.00....
Just bought my house in LGD 4 months ago at around $275 per square feet... There's a lack of inventory and everything goes at a premium.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:11 am

Hopefully it's for the football ops. building.

As far as buying up Audubon I take it those people are joking. You'd have to buy both sides from one end to the other. Over $100 million easy. Plus the myth that it was 5 neighbors is just that. It was people throughout the neighborhood. Both sides of Claiborne. Just trying to give a realisic picture of the situation.
Let's Do This!
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:48 am

lurker123 wrote:
msdos wrote:
DfromCT wrote:An expanded to 40k Yulman
That way Southern can outnumber us 5:1 rather than 3:1
Just curious were you at the game or is there a missing word in your point like "band?"

Yes the Southern Band outnumbered the Tulane band by 4:1 but that was it. If you were there you know what the composition of the fans was and there were more Tulane fans...

Sorry but I'm just sticking with believing my lying eyes because I was there....
It was a very even split of fans.
Let's Do This!
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3830
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:32 am

A football operations building has to be the first priority. I saw the pictures of the renovated locker room and and squad meeting room and they still no where near what the P5 schools have in their Football buildings. Unless a donor specifies what they want their money used for then Football has to be addressed first, then basketball and so on.
Wavetime
Swell
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 am
Status: Offline

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:56 am

winwave wrote:Hopefully it's for the football ops. building.

As far as buying up Audubon I take it those people are joking. You'd have to buy both sides from one end to the other. Over $100 million easy. Plus the myth that it was 5 neighbors is just that. It was people throughout the neighborhood. Both sides of Claiborne. Just trying to give a realisic picture of the situation.

Pardon my ignorance, and I don't want to hijack the thread, however, has anyone ever seen or read the NIMBY agreement. I know the whole story etc of what happened. But what is the agreement (I know building height, etc), how long is the agreement for, will we ever be able to have non-Tulane events there like High School games?
Post Reply