Wave loses a tough one to Navy 21-14

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JerseyWave
Riptide

If they score a TD, I can't see how we can drive down the field without a legitmate passing attack.

Ruski
Swell

Disagree with the FG attempt. Disagree with using the penalties here.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Plenty of time on the clock, need to execute.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Bringing in a cold QB.
JerseyWave
Riptide

The gimmick offense can keep the game close, but to beat quality opponents you need an aerial attack!
sader24
Tsunami

I don't understand the offensive game management after Hilliards nice run. Totally nonsensical. We're better coached but that was just stupid.
JerseyWave
Riptide

We won't beat FBS schools until we can throw the ball.
RobertM320
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:That deep throw is gonna end up costing us the game. I don't understand it. Every time he's thrown the ball it's been in a navy defenders hands.
This. We were just outside DiRocco's FG range at 45 yards. We should have run three plays. If we get the first, then we go for the home run. But at least 3 running plays would have left us within his range.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:The gimmick offense can keep the game close, but to beat quality opponents you need an aerial attack!
That haunted Fritz when he coached Georgia Southern against better opponents (Navy/NC State/West Virginia/GaTech/Georgia/Appalachian/etc.).

On an unrelated note, Army has scored 66 points against UTEP. Didn't someone on this board say Army wasn't good?
Pepper
Swell

qb play is atrocious.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
wave97
Swell

We need a F***ing defensive coordinator - NOW!
We shouldn't have lost to this group of football cast-offs.
Last edited by wave97 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaxwave
Swell

Terribly coached game on both sides of the ball. This game was lost in the offseason when coach decided they wouldn't tackle because of risk of injury. The tackling was atrocious.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:The gimmick offense can keep the game close, but to beat quality opponents you need an aerial attack!
That haunted Fritz when he coached Georgia Southern against better opponents (Navy/NC State/West Virginia/GaTech/Georgia/Appalachian/etc.).

On an unrelated note, Army has scored 66 points against UTEP. Didn't someone on this board say Army wasn't good?
There's a reason Top 20 programs don't run option football and it doesn't exist in the NFL, you have to be able to throw the ball down the field. I'm not saying we should throw the ball 40 times a game, but you need the ability on crucial third downs and to keep the defense honest. We are going to miss out on quality recruits as well because this passing attack is pathetic.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave, I cannot disagree more. If we lost starting players to season ending injuries, our season was over before it began. We have no depth.

We're growing. We started a true Freshman, one of only two in D1 that didn't enroll early that's starting at QB. I'm not saying this is a "moral victory" as I don't believe in them. We did play well, and for the most part played toe to toe with a bowl bound team that is well coached and well respected. This is a game we win in the next year or two under Fritz.

At this point I'm more impressed than I expected to be, but also see a whole lot of the issues I expected rearing their ugly heads. Inexperience and lack of depth is hurting. We also need an athletic QB that can throw accurately as well as run the option. But there's a night and day difference between this team and the one that took the field last November. I can't wait until next week, we should beat up the ULaLa Cajuns.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
msdos
Swell

I guess you guys can calm down about Fritz going to K-State this year
JerseyWave
Riptide

Fritz better hire a passing game coordinator this offseason.
wave97
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

There's a reason Top 20 programs don't run option football and it doesn't exist in the NFL, you have to be able to throw the ball down the field. I'm not saying we should throw the ball 40 times a game, but you need the ability on crucial third downs and to keep the defense honest. We are going to miss out on quality recruits as well because this passing attack is pathetic.
I can't blame Brantley for this loss, but I sure as hell can blame the slack ass play on the back end of our defense. They didn't have receivers to speak of, we should have rolled man-to-man for the entire game. Our corners matched up physically with Navy's receivers, we lacked the willingness to lay out our opponents from our "talented" secondary. They ain't s**t! Lionel & Jason where are you?
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:Jaxwave, I cannot disagree more. If we lost starting players to season ending injuries, our season was over before it began. We have no depth.

We're growing. We started a true Freshman, one of only two in D1 that didn't enroll early that's starting at QB. I'm not saying this is a "moral victory" as I don't believe in them. We did play well, and for the most part played toe to toe with a bowl bound team that is well coached and well respected. This is a game we win in the next year or two under Fritz.

At this point I'm more impressed than I expected to be, but also see a whole lot of the issues I expected rearing their ugly heads. Inexperience and lack of depth is hurting. We also need an athletic QB that can throw accurately as well as run the option. But there's a night and day difference between this team and the one that took the field last November. I can't wait until next week, we should beat up the ULaLa Cajuns.
I agree with DfromCt. In their last 20, Navy has lost three, twice to Notre Dame and once to Houston. In the last 13 seasons, they've been to 12 bowls. They started a senior QB who has been in the same system for four years, and is probably 22 years old. We started a 2 star, true freshman at QB, who only saw the playbook for the first time three months ago. We're running a brand new offense and defense. I'm encouraged by what I've seen, but there's also a lot of room for improvement.

If we're still having games like this in Fritz' season three, then I'll be worried.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

I will say that our receivers should spend some time watching film of Navy's receivers. There were numerous pitch plays that could have gone for big yardage if our receivers hold their block longer, but the tackle was made by the DB getting loose from the WR.
shorebreak
Ripple

Massive improvement from last year. Tackling cost the game.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

We fought hard tonight. The crowd was good. The student section had a nice turnout. Wasn't as packed as last week but they were paying attention and slapping on the end of the padding all game.

I think the Brantley era has a bright future. What I saw tonight showed me he has a lot of potential. We played well but came up short. Our one missed field goal was just a bad strike by DeRocco. I saw him strike the ball and it came out very flat.

Future is still bright. Roll Wave!
wave97
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Jaxwave, I cannot disagree more. If we lost starting players to season ending injuries, our season was over before it began. We have no depth.

I agree with DfromCt. In their last 20, Navy has lost three, twice to Notre Dame and once to Houston. In the last 13 seasons, they've been to 12 bowls. They started a senior QB who has been in the same system for four years, and is probably 22 years old. We started a 2 star, true freshman at QB, who only saw the playbook for the first time three months ago. We're running a brand new offense and defense. I'm encouraged by what I've seen, but there's also a lot of room for improvement.

If we're still having games like this in Fritz' season three, then I'll be worried.
We tried to do what Houston did last year to eviscerate Navy. 5 guys up front, a nickle package and a single LB - our DB's are stay-puft-soft, they're pretty boys who bring *nothing* to a brawl.
wave97
Swell

shorebreak wrote:Massive improvement from last year. Tackling cost the game.
Massive degradation from last year on defense - MASSIVE! This Navy team was a shadow of last year.
Last edited by wave97 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyWave
Riptide

wave97 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

We tried to do what Houston did last year to eviscerate Navy. 5 guys up front, a nickle package and a single LB - our DB's are stay-puft-soft, they're pretty boys who bring *nothing* to a brawl.
I don't like calling out players. Without using names, #21 should stay on the bench next week. Pathetic tackler!
Wave755
Tsunami

Navy's quarterback and our inability tackle him lost this game for us. Brantley is 18 years old, let's hope his passing greatly improves through the course of the season.