Wave loses a tough one to Navy 21-14

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wavemania
Surge

As late as he came in, he had a steal in a local guy if he would have just given him a CHANCE. :D The young man was born to be a QB and a leader.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:Jonathan, comprehend my third sentence where I say I will give him a chance to recruit a dual threat QB.
So your patience will extend beyond the ~1 month of recruiting WF has done so far at Tulane. Good to clarify.

Right now, the recruiting questions have as much to do with Tulane as they do with Willie Fritz.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:How in the world are we going to attract WRs?
No shot
Fritz was able to get multiple high-3-star WRs to commit at GSU. We're not recruiting well at any position.
Must be Yulman. :lol:
It might be.
If you win..... they will come....
The problem is the you need the recruits to win. So we know whether we need the chicken or the egg.
greenphantom
Swell

This loss sucks but Navy is probably better than the rest of the teams remaining on the schedule other than Houston.
sader24
Tsunami

I'm not bashing the offense or offensive scheme, I'm not bashing the defense. I'm bashing the decision making in critical times in our two losses. He put brad well in in game 1 against wf with the ball inside the 40. He routinely doesn't get Hilliard enough touches who is a Matt Forte clone. He called a long pass tonight bc he set it up all game long. He's proven to be a much better disciplinarian and coach than CJ, but his in game instincts and management have cost us 2 games IMO.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Heartbreaking loss for the 7,500 of us who bothered to go out there. It was there for the taking. Too many penalties and missed tackles. Vey frustrating.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:
shorebreak wrote:Massive improvement from last year. Tackling cost the game.
Massive degradation from last year on defense - MASSIVE! This Navy team was a shadow of last year.
Wait a minute. We were one of the worst defenses in the country last year, giving up 36.25 ppg. We gave up over 40 points in exactly half of our games. Throw out the two games against an offensively inept UConn and FCS Maine and we gave up well over 40 ppg in the other 10 games.

Don't let the love for Lionel Washington, whose teams got blown out by most proficient offenses they faced, cloud the fact that our D was horrendous last year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:I'm not bashing the offense or offensive scheme, I'm not bashing the defense. I'm bashing the decision making in critical times in our two losses. He put brad well in in game 1 against wf with the ball inside the 40. He routinely doesn't get Hilliard enough touches who is a Matt Forte clone. He called a long pass tonight bc he set it up all game long. He's proven to be a much better disciplinarian and coach than CJ, but his in game instincts and management have cost us 2 games IMO.
Yes, but his in game management is WAY WAY WAY better than CJ. CJ had no clue. I actually asked him (CJ) on his call in radio show about game management and he asked me what I meant by game management. I told him about running the ball with the lead late in the half or late in the game, running to the middle of the field to set up FG's, etc.

This team is much further along than I would expect after 3 games. We don't have the talent that's used to running this system, and we lack experience and depth. Yet we were right there with a chance to win. I predicted 4 wins for exactly those reasons, and I'm more optimistic after this game than I was after putting up 66 points against a weak FCS team. We will grow, we will learn how to win and put teams away. Give it time.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
sader24
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
sader24 wrote:I'm not bashing the offense or offensive scheme, I'm not bashing the defense. I'm bashing the decision making in critical times in our two losses. He put brad well in in game 1 against wf with the ball inside the 40. He routinely doesn't get Hilliard enough touches who is a Matt Forte clone. He called a long pass tonight bc he set it up all game long. He's proven to be a much better disciplinarian and coach than CJ, but his in game instincts and management have cost us 2 games IMO.
Yes, but his in game management is WAY WAY WAY better than CJ. CJ had no clue. I actually asked him (CJ) on his call in radio show about game management and he asked me what I meant by game management. I told him about running the ball with the lead late in the half or late in the game, running to the middle of the field to set up FG's, etc.

This team is much further along than I would expect after 3 games. We don't have the talent that's used to running this system, and we lack experience and depth. Yet we were right there with a chance to win. I predicted 4 wins for exactly those reasons, and I'm more optimistic after this game than I was after putting up 66 points against a weak FCS team. We will grow, we will learn how to win and put teams away. Give it time.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:The gimmick offense can keep the game close, but to beat quality opponents you need an aerial attack!
That haunted Fritz when he coached Georgia Southern against better opponents (Navy/NC State/West Virginia/GaTech/Georgia/Appalachian/etc.).

On an unrelated note, Army has scored 66 points against UTEP. Didn't someone on this board say Army wasn't good?
Did some moron on this board say that we were going to have to win shootouts every week b/c of some games against weak sisters? Did someone say Tulsa could win the NC based on their performance against Ohio State? Does someone ALWAYS go way overboard in giving credit to other teams while always being negative about Tulane? Didn't someone spend the whole offseason saying that anyone that thought Tulane could win more than three games was nuts? BTW, good means you are ranked. We scored 66 against Southern. That doesn't make us good. UTEP is really bad so same thing. Plus who gives a shit about Army since we don't play them. They are better than what they usually are but that doesn't make them good.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

What was the attendance and did the students show up and stay?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was 7,500 at best. Student section started out a little more than half full and had the usual 200 for the second half.
wave97
Swell

greenphantom wrote:This loss sucks but Navy is probably better than the rest of the teams remaining on the schedule other than Houston.
I totally disagree with this statement. Navy isn't that good.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
wave97 wrote:
shorebreak wrote:Massive improvement from last year. Tackling cost the game.
Massive degradation from last year on defense - MASSIVE! This Navy team was a shadow of last year.
Wait a minute. We were one of the worst defenses in the country last year, giving up 36.25 ppg. We gave up over 40 points in exactly half of our games. Throw out the two games against an offensively inept UConn and FCS Maine and we gave up well over 40 ppg in the other 10 games.

Don't let the love for Lionel Washington, whose teams got blown out by most proficient offenses they faced, cloud the fact that our D was horrendous last year.
Context. Do you have any recollection of how Navy scored their points last year?
We need JUCO's and we need them desperately. The herd will be further culled next year, who's stepping up?
wave97
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:How in the world are we going to attract WRs?
No shot
Fritz was able to get multiple high-3-star WRs to commit at GSU. We're not recruiting well at any position.
Must be Yulman. :lol:
It might be.
If you win..... they will come....
The problem is you need the recruits to win. So we know whether we need the chicken or the egg.
+10,000
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

To pull some upsets in this league we need to be more than one dimensional on offense (3-12, 21 yards passing and Navy dropped at least 2 sure INT's) . We have to be able to complete a few passes to keep the opposition honest. I just don't see that happening with the guys I've seen at QB so far. Disappointed in our defense on that last drive and 2pt conversion. Tough loss but not unexpected. So my hopeful swing game went the wrong way. Instead of being 2-1 we're now 1-2. That's too bad. We need to find another potential upset game later in the year to steal this one back. Need to score points in this league to win. You're not going to win on defense.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Bigschtick wrote:What was the attendance and did the students show up and stay?
The reported attendance was 21,503. ;)
RobertM320
Green Wave

wave97 wrote:
greenphantom wrote:This loss sucks but Navy is probably better than the rest of the teams remaining on the schedule other than Houston.
I totally disagree with this statement. Navy isn't that good.
He said they were better than the rest of the teams remaining on the schedule except Houston. And they are.

All the rankings aren't in yet, so it will change a bit but the massey composite has Navy at #34

Houston 5
Memphis 46
Cincinnati 62
Wake Forest 68
Tulsa 72
Temple 73
UConn 81
SMU 94
ULL 99
TULANE 104
UCF 111
UMass 118

To go bowling, the highest ranked team we'd have to beat is #81

To win 5 games the highest team we'd have to beat is #94.

Hardly a stretch, wouldn't you say? Judging us by close losses to a #34 team at home and a #68 team on the road and saying we're terrible is a bit presumptive.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

By the way, Southern beat Alabama State last night, 64-6. So there is some talent on their offense. Give our defense some credit, holding them to 14 points. (the other 7 were on the pick 6)
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I watched some of the game....they may be able to win one or two more games....the O line is terrible, an influx of JUCO's or grad transfers will be needed for any timely reversal of play.... Stupid penalties need to be eliminated... that said, I am not a fan of the O line's splits, they need to be farther apart, this creates natural seams for running backs and allows the QB easier reads of the defense....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

I think this is what we are going to get the rest of the year with exception to the penalties. I think our defense was good enough to win last night. I know we missed some tackles and we did cramp up, but we also got 2 turnovers. The backs and defensive front 7 are the strength of our team. My hope is that our QB and OL improve. If our OL improves we will definitely score many more points. If our QB can throw more accurately then our running game would open up so much more. We are a couple of coaching and recruiting years away from where we all want to be. However, we are definitely going in the right direction (in my opinion).

I'm not a QB, I was a LB so please excuse my ignorance. However, our QB was throwing high all night. Is this a throwing mechanics issue or is this just a lack of talent?

As far as our offense is concerned, I love it. I love a running attack that can come at you in 20 different ways. When we do get a handle on this offense with the right personnel we will be incredible. The passing game will keep the LB's and Safeties just honest enough to respect the first 4-5 yards behind the DL, which is all we need.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Brantley is a better passer than he showed last night. Navy is a probably the 2nd best team we will play this year. I agree with many of you that we are to one dimensional and this will be a problem moving forward. The problem Fritz and staff have now is the don't have the QB they need that can effectively run/pass. I'm in the minority here but I think Brantley can be that guy. As calm as he was against Southern he was the opposite last night. He's still a true 18 year old Freshman. He clearly gives us the best chance to win out of the 3 QB's.

We will be 3-2 on October 2nd. If we can beat UCF to go 4-2 we will have a chance to reach some of our goals.
wave97
Swell

What are you all looking at? Navy is not a good football team.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:I think this is what we are going to get the rest of the year with exception to the penalties. I think our defense was good enough to win last night. I know we missed some tackles and we did cramp up, but we also got 2 turnovers. The backs and defensive front 7 are the strength of our team. My hope is that our QB and OL improve. If our OL improves we will definitely score many more points. If our QB can throw more accurately then our running game would open up so much more. We are a couple of coaching and recruiting years away from where we all want to be. However, we are definitely going in the right direction (in my opinion).

I'm not a QB, I was a LB so please excuse my ignorance. However, our QB was throwing high all night. Is this a throwing mechanics issue or is this just a lack of talent?

As far as our offense is concerned, I love it. I love a running attack that can come at you in 20 different ways. When we do get a handle on this offense with the right personnel we will be incredible. The passing game will keep the LB's and Safeties just honest enough to respect the first 4-5 yards behind the DL, which is all we need.
He seems to stand flat footed and straight legged when he throws. He needs to get on the balls of his feet and get some bend in his legs.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Mandeville Wave wrote:Brantley is a better passer than he showed last night. Navy is a probably the 2nd best team we will play this year. I agree with many of you that we are to one dimensional and this will be a problem moving forward. The problem Fritz and staff have now is the don't have the QB they need that can effectively run/pass. I'm in the minority here but I think Brantley can be that guy. As calm as he was against Southern he was the opposite last night. He's still a true 18 year old Freshman. He clearly gives us the best chance to win out of the 3 QB's.

We will be 3-2 on October 2nd. If we can beat UCF to go 4-2 we will have a chance to reach some of our goals.
I don't think you are in the minority on Brantley. Most of us think he will develop quite well.