Underdog Dynasty: Tulane is Scary

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
  • Oh boy.

Once again, when you start with a conclusion and back into the supporing arguments you end up saying all kinds of incorrect or dumb things.

1) Vandy has no conference championships. BS: They have 14. Do you think the SEC was the first conference ever? Ever hear of the SoCon? The SIAA?
    2) No one is suggesting WF doesn't have the confidence to turn around a bottom P5. It's about whether or not he'd prefer that situation given an choice. Exactly the reasoning GSU fans couldn't believe he would leave for Tulane
    3) Arguing that Fordham is a sleeping giant is so far beyond silly that I don't even know where to start. Because they play in a market that dwarfs New Orleans and have a history equal to or better than ours. Clearly, they don't want to "wake up" that doesn't mean they couldn't.
    4) Why do Tulane fans have no right to arrogance? Because we've been one of the worst football programs in the nation for a long time. Good lord you believe that Dickson Disease is a literal manifestation. We must be downtrodden and walk across the street? No, I believe we can and will turn it around. I just don't think a team that's 28-89. the last 10+ seasons (I'm counting 1-1 this year) has any right to look down on any other program. I would love to see how many other programs have a record 60 games under .500 the last ten years.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

Actually, their last conference championship was 1923. They've won 14, we've won 9, eight which have come since their last one. They've played in 7 bowl games, we've played in 12, IN SPITE of the fact that being in a better conference for the last 50 years has provided them with more opportunity. We've both won four bowl games. They've had the athletic funding, and the oppotunity of being in one of the premier conferences, and yet in all that time, we've gone to more bowls than they have. We've won more conference titles in the last 20 years, 40 years, 60 years, 80 years or 100 years, whichever range you want to use. So even a lot of your facts are wrong. And they don't have the same opportunity as we do, because Nashville will never become NOLA, and the talent available in Tennessee will never match the talent available in Louisiana. Period.

There's hardly anyone alive today that has EVER seen Vanderbilt win a football conf title, and if they did they probably don't remember it. Even we're not that bad, and we've been hamstrung by bad administrations and inadequate funding, as well lesser talent because we're not in the SEC.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
  • Oh boy.

Once again, when you start with a conclusion and back into the supporing arguments you end up saying all kinds of incorrect or dumb things.

1) Vandy has no conference championships. BS: They have 14. Do you think the SEC was the first conference ever? Ever hear of the SoCon? The SIAA?
    2) No one is suggesting WF doesn't have the confidence to turn around a bottom P5. It's about whether or not he'd prefer that situation given an choice. Exactly the reasoning GSU fans couldn't believe he would leave for Tulane
    3) Arguing that Fordham is a sleeping giant is so far beyond silly that I don't even know where to start. Because they play in a market that dwarfs New Orleans and have a history equal to or better than ours. Clearly, they don't want to "wake up" that doesn't mean they couldn't.
    4) Why do Tulane fans have no right to arrogance? Because we've been one of the worst football programs in the nation for a long time. Good lord you believe that Dickson Disease is a literal manifestation. We must be downtrodden and walk across the street? No, I believe we can and will turn it around. I just don't think a team that's 28-89. the last 10+ seasons (I'm counting 1-1 this year) has any right to look down on any other program. I would love to see how many other programs have a record 60 games under .500 the last ten years.
Please stop arguing for the sake of arguing. You talk about Vanderbilt's conference championships from the 1890's but then define Tulane's record over the past 10+ seasons. Even if Fordham became good at football, NY isn't nearly as "into" football as NOLA and they would be competing with a large number of teams for fans (Syracuse, UConn, Rutgers, etc). Your points are getting extremely far afield and you aren't adding to the conversation in any constructive way.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Within the past few months I completed a year-long Bible study class and one of my classmates was Marcello Estrada, a former All-American offensive lineman from Georgia Southern. We spoke often and at length about Coach Fritz. Marcello graduated a couple years prior to Fritz's arrival, but he remains very close to the GS program and has a lot of friends that played for Coach WF. Here are a few of the comments that I can recall:

• WF is a very, very good coach and demands 100% from each of his players. This is more than a trite comment. It sounded as if a player who exhibited poor discipline or who seemed to be dogging it during practice, wouldn't be warned more than once before there were major consequences.
  • WF is extremely detail oriented and is a slave to established procedures. There are strict expectations for every aspect of a player's college career from dietary control to night-before-game routines.
  • WF has built a very loyal, dedicated and competent coaching staff comprised of no-name assistants.
  • Fritz has a history of being only a fair recruiter. His strength is getting every ounce of contribution from every player on the roster.
  • The GS players all felt that Fritz was a short-timer from the moment he arrived. There were constant rumors that he was hungry for a role on the biggest of stages. Because of his age and his recent success at Sam Houston, it seemed that GS was merely a launching pad on his resume and that he felt the clock was ticking on his coaching career.
  • Marcello believes that WF is extremely driven to complete his resume by winning at a larger school in big-conference football. He remarked that we would see immediate improvements at Tulane but would be fortunate to keep him for more than three years.
All of this was just friendly chat, but so far I haven't seen anything that would make me question anything Marcello said.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:Within the past few months I completed a year-long Bible study class and one of my classmates was Marcello Estrada, a former All-American offensive lineman from Georgia Southern. We spoke often and at length about Coach Fritz. Marcello graduated a couple years prior to Fritz's arrival, but he remains very close to the GS program and has a lot of friends that played for Coach WF. Here are a few of the comments that I can recall:

• WF is a very, very good coach and demands 100% from each of his players. This is more than a trite comment. It sounded as if a player who exhibited poor discipline or who seemed to be dogging it during practice, wouldn't be warned more than once before there were major consequences.
  • WF is extremely detail oriented and is a slave to established procedures. There are strict expectations for every aspect of a player's college career from dietary control to night-before-game routines.
  • WF has built a very loyal, dedicated and competent coaching staff comprised of no-name assistants.
  • Fritz has a history of being only a fair recruiter. His strength is getting every ounce of contribution from every player on the roster.
  • The GS players all felt that Fritz was a short-timer from the moment he arrived. There were constant rumors that he was hungry for a role on the biggest of stages. Because of his age and his recent success at Sam Houston, it seemed that GS was merely a launching pad on his resume and that he felt the clock was ticking on his coaching career.
  • Marcello believes that WF is extremely driven to complete his resume by winning at a larger school in big-conference football. He remarked that we would see immediate improvements at Tulane but would be fortunate to keep him for more than three years.
All of this was just friendly chat, but so far I haven't seen anything that would make me question anything Marcello said.
All sounds fair to me, but disappointed to confirm that he does have that ambition. Let's just say that an invite to the Big 12 would give us an opportunity to keep him and just got that much more important.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I believe that's a fair assessment of Fritz. Its the same reason that Houston won't keep Herman forever if they can't get into a P5.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:I believe that's a fair assessment of Fritz. Its the same reason that Houston won't keep Herman forever if they can't get into a P5.
What school keeps who forever? For every Paterno or Snyder who don't move there are
Urban Meyer, Harbaugh, Saban (he left LSU after winning an NC), Carroll, Spurrier, Mack Brown, blah blah blah. You just have to make sure your guy doesn't leave for reasons under your control. Then when he goes you have a process and AD who knows how to replace the coach. Tulane with Dannen at least has that base covered.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I believe that's a fair assessment of Fritz. Its the same reason that Houston won't keep Herman forever if they can't get into a P5.
What school keeps who forever? For every Paterno or Snyder who don't move there are
Urban Meyer, Harbaugh, Saban (he left LSU after winning an NC), Carroll, Spurrier, Mack Brown, blah blah blah. You just have to make sure your guy doesn't leave for reasons under your control. Then when he goes you have a process and AD who knows how to replace the coach. Tulane with Dannen at least has that base covered.
Well, when you say "doesn't leave for reasons under your control", you seem to be ignoring that our facilities plan was under our control and it could be the reason he or any other worthy candidate would leave.
bananax07
Ripple

jonathanjoseph wrote:Well, when you say "doesn't leave for reasons under your control", you seem to be ignoring that our facilities plan was under our control and it could be the reason he or any other worthy candidate would leave.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

bananax07 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Well, when you say "doesn't leave for reasons under your control", you seem to be ignoring that our facilities plan was under our control and it could be the reason he or any other worthy candidate would leave.
Why? Are facilities a positive or negative as far as hiring and retaining coaches, recruiting and selling ourselves to the Big12?