Gameday experience

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:$80M white elephant.

Hasn't improved attendance

Hasn't improved recruiting

Is losing money
JJ, unlike many I enjoy reading your posts, but I must ask: what are you proposing with your ceaseless criticism of the stadium? Should we raze it and erect a statue of you as the visionary that predicted its financial infeasibility? This baby has been left on our doorstep and it seems to me that the only options are to 1) adapt with a plan to make a success of it or 2) declare it a failure and begin demolition. If you have options other than repeating "I told you so", I would be interested in reading them.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:

Is losing money
JJ, unlike many I enjoy reading your posts, but I must ask: what are you proposing with your ceaseless criticism of the stadium? Should we raze it and erect a statue of you as the visionary that predicted its financial infeasibility? This baby has been left on our doorstep and it seems to me that the only options are to 1) adapt with a plan to make a success of it or 2) declare it a failure and begin demolition. If you have options other than repeating "I told you so", I would be interested in reading them.
Honestly, I don't know what to do next. But we can't start talking about "next" until we agree that "now" is broken, and almost no one here agrees with me on that.

I would like to see those responsible for this $80M mistake held accountable. That's for sure.
lurker123
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:

Is losing money
The stadium is not financially infeasible. Just go talk to the folks who paid for it or manage it. Believe it or don't, they are accessible to all of us. Just do it. You'll get the straight scoop. What is that? The stadium is a net plus to the program financially and marketing wise but they have capacity to sell more tickets. If you want to improve things, buy tickets and put more butts in the seats. They will not expand the stadium until they start using more of the currently available capacity. BTW they are not moving back to the Icebox.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Winning cures all, including attendance problems, recruiting, and money.
lurker123 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

Is losing money
The stadium is not financially infeasible. Just go talk to the folks who paid for it or manage it. Believe it or don't, they are accessible to all of us. Just do it. You'll get the straight scoop. What is that? The stadium is a net plus to the program financially and marketing wise but they have capacity to sell more tickets. If you want to improve things, buy tickets and put more butts in the seats. They will not expand the stadium until they start using more of the currently available capacity. BTW they are not moving back to the Icebox.
Wave755
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

Is losing money
The stadium has proven the Dome was never our problem but instead asinine decisions like not hiring Lindy Infante in 1979(cost us the 1980s), saying "no" to Rodriguez in 1998 and having a "review" in 2003 when Cowen took his "best shot" for ending the program have placed us where we are for today.

Just the same, Yulman is here to stay and let's hope one day we have enough ticket demand to justify building an upper deck on the Westside.

Yulman can be made to work, but the Dome was never our problem.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

Is losing money
And here comes Dickson's apologists to spread lies. The publicly available report to the Tulane Senate proves that you are incorrect and includes the financial reports that make it clear that Yulman is a net negative financially versus renting the Dome.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Winning cures all, including attendance problems, recruiting, and money.
lurker123 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

Is losing money
You are right that winning cures all. The question remains, did this $80M investment make it harder to achieve that goal. The answer appears to be quite depressing.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

Is losing money
The stadium has proven the Dome was never our problem but instead asinine decisions like not hiring Lindy Infante in 1979(cost us the 1980s), saying "no" to Rodriguez in 1998 and having a "review" in 2003 when Cowen took his "best shot" for ending the program have placed us where we are for today.

Just the same, Yulman is here to stay and let's hope one day we have enough ticket demand to justify building an upper deck on the Westside.

Yulman can be made to work, but the Dome was never our problem.
You are right for the most part but it's not clear that it can be made to work as is. People are here complaining about the game day experience, a problem which costs money to fix. We had to add cell tower capacity because we didn't include wifi, and that cost money.

Meanwhile, ticket sales aren't generating the needed revenue and we don't know to what extent the stadium is a cause of our current recruiting problem (yes problem).

It's not clear where to go from here, but it's unfathomable and infuriating that Cowen/Dickson were allowed to dig this hole even deeper.
sader24
Tsunami

Whoever is in charge of game day operations needs to be fired. My nachos were stale, cheese cold, and there were no jalapeños. I also had to wait bc after only several sales the girl had run out of $$ to make change with. I brought a friend who had never been and he won't be coming back as he stated "the employees at Yulman stadium make the Superdome employees look like Rhodes Scholars." With 7 min left in the 3rd qtr they had pulled all the beer out of the ice and were doing inventory while many ppl were still trying to purchase beer and voicing complaints over it not being cold enough bc they had pulled it out the ice early so they could get out of there as quick as possible.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

Is losing money
And here comes Dickson's apologists to spread lies. The publicly available report to the Tulane Senate proves that you are incorrect and includes the financial reports that make it clear that Yulman is a net negative financially versus renting the Dome.
+1.

What's worse is claiming that those in charge share the Dickson mindset of not expanding till we fill it. WRONG,WRONG, WRONG. The stadium hurts recruiting. It is a joke when looking at it from the 18 year olds eyes that want to impress. The stadium needs to be expanded to a minimum of 40k to look and be legit. Otherwise it never gets filled.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

I'm not going to get into the Yulman vs the Dome talk, for what it's worth, I'd rather go to a game a Yulman. I don't haven't seen any financial statements or anything like that. I just prefer the campus environment, not that it's better or worse, just my opinion.

Anyway, here's my reason for posting.....Ketchup! I left to go and get my daughter a snowball and also get a hot dog for myself right after we scored and went up 7-3. I believe it was the very beginning of the 2nd qtr. I'm in sec 119, so I had to go to the other side to get a snowball. No problem, done. I then went back to the concession stand by 119 where the Memphis visitors were sitting. I wait about 10 min to get my hot dog. I'm second in line, they are out of hot dogs. Now, how can you be out of hot dogs in the 2nd qtr of a game that has 10K in attendance. So I then go to the concession stand in the corner where the Memphis band was sitting. I buy the hot dog and go to get some ketchup and the pump is out. I then go to the concession stand behind the end zone by the Student Section. All they have is the portion control packets. They are out of the packets. So I truck it all the way down back to the concession stand by the craft beers. The ketchup pump is out. I'm now getting hacked off. I go to the corner concession stand again by sec 119 where I started and the worker is replacing the bag that goes in the pump. I wait about 5 minutes and he can't get the bag in the pump. I go to the Wavedog stand being the end zone where the players enter/exit the field. All they have is the PC packets,,,they are out. I go back to the stand by 119, the worker is still struggling to get the bag in the pump. He finally says that he can't fix it and takes the pump and leaves....I finally give up on the ketchup and it's 7-6 and almost halftime...

People, this is totally unacceptable. Now if we had 40K in there and it was the 4th qtr I'd understand,,,,this is crazy. I'm only posting this because believe it or not, I had the same issue last game, except I was trying to get a hot dog, they had the ketchup part right.....
Bigschtick
Riptide

You should make sure you email your complaints to Mr Dannen. He needs to improve
the game day experience. This is not acceptable.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
austxwave
High Tide

Wavetime wrote:I'm not going to get into the Yulman vs the Dome talk, for what it's worth, I'd rather go to a game a Yulman. I don't haven't seen any financial statements or anything like that. I just prefer the campus environment, not that it's better or worse, just my opinion.

Anyway, here's my reason for posting.....Ketchup! I left to go and get my daughter a snowball and also get a hot dog for myself right after we scored and went up 7-3. I believe it was the very beginning of the 2nd qtr. I'm in sec 119, so I had to go to the other side to get a snowball. No problem, done. I then went back to the concession stand by 119 where the Memphis visitors were sitting. I wait about 10 min to get my hot dog. I'm second in line, they are out of hot dogs. Now, how can you be out of hot dogs in the 2nd qtr of a game that has 10K in attendance. So I then go to the concession stand in the corner where the Memphis band was sitting. I buy the hot dog and go to get some ketchup and the pump is out. I then go to the concession stand behind the end zone by the Student Section. All they have is the portion control packets. They are out of the packets. So I truck it all the way down back to the concession stand by the craft beers. The ketchup pump is out. I'm now getting hacked off. I go to the corner concession stand again by sec 119 where I started and the worker is replacing the bag that goes in the pump. I wait about 5 minutes and he can't get the bag in the pump. I go to the Wavedog stand being the end zone where the players enter/exit the field. All they have is the PC packets,,,they are out. I go back to the stand by 119, the worker is still struggling to get the bag in the pump. He finally says that he can't fix it and takes the pump and leaves....I finally give up on the ketchup and it's 7-6 and almost halftime...

People, this is totally unacceptable. Now if we had 40K in there and it was the 4th qtr I'd understand,,,,this is crazy. I'm only posting this because believe it or not, I had the same issue last game, except I was trying to get a hot dog, they had the ketchup part right.....

Ahhhh, the Sodexo Experience. Not condoning the experience, but Sodexo is world renown for this type of customer experience. This is why we bought out our agreement with them 3 years ago and started our on catering/concessions company.
sader24
Tsunami

They finally have buns now for the Alligator Sausage and Andouille Sausage. Unfortunately they are Hot Dog buns and not big enough for the Sausage. If you go to a Saints game you will find the correct buns for Alligator Sausage. None of this stuff is remotely complicated to correct but nobody seems eager to correct it.
Show Me
Tsunami

Dannen has dropped the ball with game day experience. Last year season ticket holders like myself received an email survey after each home game. I believe Barbs Burke handled it. I've gotten better service and food at Tad Gormley for high school games. "We over price and under deliver" is the Yulman motto. Just disgraceful. I no longer even bother wasting time trying to get a burger or dog much less a beer. The in stadium experience can't be any worse.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I suggested having local resturants and Bars rent the booths at Yulman, much like U see at the N.O. Open Golf tournament
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
BC Wave
Swell

Superior Grill has a stand on Wesrceldt Terrace.

They sell a pretty good frozen margarita.

I don't know if there are any others.
sader24
Tsunami

Problem is they won't allow you into the terrace to get the Margarita if you don't have a ticket up there. I tried to get one during the Southern game and I was turned away.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:Problem is they won't allow you into the terrace to get the Margarita if you don't have a ticket up there. I tried to get one during the Southern game and I was turned away.
A good business would have it available on both levels.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

Show Me wrote:Dannen has dropped the ball with game day experience. Last year season ticket holders like myself received an email survey after each home game. I believe Barbs Burke handled it. I've gotten better service and food at Tad Gormley for high school games. "We over price and under deliver" is the Yulman motto. Just disgraceful. I no longer even bother wasting time trying to get a burger or dog much less a beer. The in stadium experience can't be any worse.
I think identifying the problem is not the issue, the issue for Troy Dannen is the day-to-day process of rectifying a flawed vision. Tulane should consider selling bottled beverages only and encourage fans to bring their own food from home or from local vendors at tents and kiosks outside the stadium.
No vendor/management company in their right mind would choose to participate in the "sh*t show" that Yulman is today. Participation in the delivery of food/beverage at Yulman seems to be compulsory for good reason.
The "Hunger Games" Glazer Family Club would make a wonderful Football Operations facility, wouldn't you agree?
Bigschtick
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:Problem is they won't allow you into the terrace to get the Margarita if you don't have a ticket up there. I tried to get one during the Southern game and I was turned away.
A good business would have it available on both levels.

Just typical Tulane incompetence on all levels which we have seen for years! Build a small stadium and cannot even make a decent game day experience. TD, where are you on this issue?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I wonder if the B12 will require condiments?
lurker123
Swell

Simple JJ solution here. If the Gameday experience is so underwhelming because of the stadium or whatever, just withhold your cash. Don't go to the games, don't buy concessions and don't donate. Meanwhile you can still post all you want.

Medium solution: fill up at the pre-game tailgate and then just get beer/beverages and/or dessert from game vendors. At least in my personal experience, service for those has always been acceptable. I don't need ketchup on my pralines.

Let TU admin know why you're withholding the cash. Since the stadium/gameday experience is a bust in many of your view make it hurt on the bottom line since this whole arrangement is je ne sais quoi? I now remember "financially infeasible." You will get their attention by simply making it more so.

In other words: Do something in addition to the relentless typing around here.
lurker123
Swell

One more thing: see if you can get the pre-game "1984" style "Thou shalt not" loudspeaker broadcasts around campus and Yulman toned down/eliminated. It is most irritating to my tailgating group and perhaps reminds me of what the in-stadium public announcing system was like in 2014 in Yulman. Hey we got that fixed. Thanks for your help with this while you're improving Yulman concessions.
1989alum
Low Tide

It is well known that JJ doesn't give a damn red cent to Tulane but has a all the answers on how to fix things from his perch in California. You want a 40k seat stadium, then write a big check for it and it will appear at your command Mr. California successful in your own mind VC dude...

That is what Mr. Yulman, Mr. Benson et al did. All paid for by donations at the end of the day. That is how it is done..everything has a name on it. I would love to see the JJ upper deck at Yulman stadium. I stretch to give $25k per year to Tulane athletics and want to double it next year because I see progress being made finally.